Start by marking “Pigs in the Pantry: Fun with Math and Cooking” as Want to Read:
Pigs in the Pantry: Fun with Math and Cooking

Pigs in the Pantry: Fun with Math and Cooking

When poor Mrs. Pig gets a cold, Mr. Pig and the piglets devise a plan to get rid of her sniffles. The Pigs decide on the perfect remedy: to fix Mrs. Pig's favorite five alarm chili. Will the Pigs be able to cure Mrs. Pig with a spicy meal? Or will their measuring mistakes get them in hot water? Join the Pigs and see what trouble they can cook up in the kitchen.
Published August 1st 1999 by Aladdin (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Pigs in the Pantry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pigs in the Pantry

Gaby Roman
Sep 30, 2012 Gaby Roman rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, measurement, cooking
I really liked this book. I would use this book to introduce how to be safe while cooking and how to correctly measure things while you cook. I would try to make the firehouse chili as a class and measure of the ingredients together. I would see if my school would allow us to cook it in the kitchen or have an employee who works in the kitchen do it. I think this book could be used in the classroom to bring excitement about measurement when cooking.
Mar 27, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit, picture-books
Extra star for math integration: Measurement. Mrs. Pig is sick in bed, but her family treats her to a home-cooked meal nonetheless. We have the recipe (they're making chili) and watch to see what mistakes Mr. Pig makes as he prepares the dish. At the end are measurement conversions, an invitation to recreate the recipe in the metric system.
Sharonneika
Mar 18, 2011 Sharonneika rated it liked it
Shelves: math-literature
I think that Pigs in the Pantry is a great book for math and experimenting with cooking. This book can be used as a read aloud before participating in a project of making cookies from scratch in the classroom. its good for learning how to measure and it uses fractions so I would say that it could be recommended for use with 3rd grade or higher.
Rebecca
Apr 07, 2011 Rebecca added it
Shelves: math
This book is a great demonstration of how math and science work together. some pigs have a recipe to help get rid of a cold. The recipe is included in the book. I recommend this book for 2nd-4th grades.
Tricia
Apr 16, 2012 Tricia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
I loved this book, especially the illustrations! Mrs. Pig is sick, so Mr. Pig and the piglets try to make her chili. This would be a great book to use to teach the various kinds of measurement as it involves measuring out ingredients. I would use this book for first grade.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it did not like it
Shelves: review
about a dad that tries to cook but does not follow the recipies, and shows how to miss handel the situation
Tiffany Young
Apr 11, 2012 Tiffany Young rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
I love these pig books! In this one, Mrs. Pig is sick, so Mr. Pig and the piglets decide to cook her some warm chili. This book would be great for teaching students about measurement!
Chenoa Brown
Apr 11, 2011 Chenoa Brown rated it liked it
-Great math tools
-Conversion to measurements
-Mrs. Pig gets sick and her husband and children try to cook......DISASTER!!!
-Good read for 1st grade to 3rd grade
Timothy Cockburn
this teaching ways you are doing math while cooking. it can also be used to teach a lesson about chemical change in science.
Ann Marie
Ann Marie rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2009
Liberty W
Liberty W rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2015
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was ok
Oct 27, 2009
Jesrie Beane
Jesrie Beane rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
Clara B.
Clara B. rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2013
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2012
Mandy
Mandy rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2013
Misty Erickson
Misty Erickson rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2017
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2012
Emma
May 03, 2017 Emma rated it it was amazing
This book has no awards and is good for ages 4-8. This fun book revolves entirely around a five-alarm chili recipe. When the mom gets sick, she wants something to help her feel cozy and better. Her husband and children attempt to follow her recipe to make her delicious and spicy chili, but along the way make measurement errors from wrongly reading the instructions! Some of the scenes are absolutely hilarious, due to the wording and language. It has some scientific elements, such as cooking and m ...more
Jo Ann
Jo Ann rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2012
Mogepy
Mogepy rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2012
Binda Acharya
Binda Acharya rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Amber Bartram
Apr 21, 2017 Amber Bartram added it
Shelves: fantasy
This book is about a dad and the two kids cooking for their sick mom and making a mess in the kitchen. The book has a couple recipes in it and teaching things like what a "pinch" of something means. I would use this around mother's day or a holiday where kids might be cooking.
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2014
Angelia
Angelia rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2015
Gale
Gale rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Miss Andrea's
Miss Andrea's rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2011
Derrith
Derrith rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2008
Karen
Karen rated it it was ok
Apr 16, 2013
Amy Axelrod is the author of many picture books, including The Pigs Will Be Pigs Math Series (Simon & Schuster).
Her debut novel, Your Friend in Fashion, Abby Shapiro (Holiday House 2011) was based on her childhood growing up in the 60's.
"Funny, lively, sensitive- a real winner! (Kirkus)
Amy's latest novel was co-authored with her son, David, who works in publishing.
The Bullet Catch:Murder
More about Amy Axelrod...