Start by marking “Pigs in the Pantry: Fun with Math and Cooking” as Want to Read:
Pigs in the Pantry: Fun with Math and Cooking

Pigs in the Pantry: Fun with Math and Cooking

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  9 reviews
When poor Mrs. Pig gets a cold, Mr. Pig and the piglets devise a plan to get rid of her sniffles. The Pigs decide on the perfect remedy: to fix Mrs. Pig's favorite five alarm chili. Will the Pigs be able to cure Mrs. Pig with a spicy meal? Or will their measuring mistakes get them in hot water? Join the Pigs and see what trouble they can cook up in the kitchen.
Published August 1st 1999 by Aladdin (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Pigs in the Pantry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pigs in the Pantry

Gaby Roman
I really liked this book. I would use this book to introduce how to be safe while cooking and how to correctly measure things while you cook. I would try to make the firehouse chili as a class and measure of the ingredients together. I would see if my school would allow us to cook it in the kitchen or have an employee who works in the kitchen do it. I think this book could be used in the classroom to bring excitement about measurement when cooking.
Sharonneika
I think that Pigs in the Pantry is a great book for math and experimenting with cooking. This book can be used as a read aloud before participating in a project of making cookies from scratch in the classroom. its good for learning how to measure and it uses fractions so I would say that it could be recommended for use with 3rd grade or higher.
Extra star for math integration: Measurement. Mrs. Pig is sick in bed, but her family treats her to a home-cooked meal nonetheless. We have the recipe (they're making chili) and watch to see what mistakes Mr. Pig makes as he prepares the dish. At the end are measurement conversions, an invitation to recreate the recipe in the metric system.
Tricia
Apr 16, 2012 Tricia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: math
I loved this book, especially the illustrations! Mrs. Pig is sick, so Mr. Pig and the piglets try to make her chili. This would be a great book to use to teach the various kinds of measurement as it involves measuring out ingredients. I would use this book for first grade.
Rebecca
Apr 07, 2011 Rebecca added it
Shelves: math
This book is a great demonstration of how math and science work together. some pigs have a recipe to help get rid of a cold. The recipe is included in the book. I recommend this book for 2nd-4th grades.
Tiffany Young
I love these pig books! In this one, Mrs. Pig is sick, so Mr. Pig and the piglets decide to cook her some warm chili. This book would be great for teaching students about measurement!
Chenoa Brown
-Great math tools
-Conversion to measurements
-Mrs. Pig gets sick and her husband and children try to cook......DISASTER!!!
-Good read for 1st grade to 3rd grade
Timothy Cockburn
this teaching ways you are doing math while cooking. it can also be used to teach a lesson about chemical change in science.
Theresa
about a dad that tries to cook but does not follow the recipies, and shows how to miss handel the situation
West
West added it
Jul 30, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Sheyla
Sheyla marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Raju
Raju marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Tia
Tia marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Janna
Janna added it
Aug 23, 2014
Heena
Heena marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Sarah added it
Jun 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Pigs Will Be Pigs: Fun with Math and Money Your Friend in Fashion, Abby Shapiro Pigs on a Blanket Pigs Go to Market: Halloween Fun with Math and Shopping Pigs on the Ball: Fun With Math and Sports