Start by marking “Maliciously Obedient (Obedient, #1)” as Want to Read:
Maliciously Obedient (Obedient, #1)

Maliciously Obedient (Obedient #1)

3.67  ·  Rating Details ·  2,709 Ratings  ·  235 Reviews
Getting caught reading Fifty Shades of Grey in the parking lot at work wasn't the best way for 25-year-old Lydia Charles to meet her boss. A boss she didn't know she had. Matt Jones now had the job she had been waiting to apply for (and win) for the past year, and to add insult to injury, he's the kind of guy her parents would adore.

Damn it.

The only kid of six to choose to
Published March 5th 2013

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
 photo free neon Pi6 by sb_zpsk5aen2r3.gif

FREE on Amazon US today (9/22/2015)

OMG! There is a scrumptious triangle developing in this trilogy.
Book 1 of 3. Series complete.

BLURB:

Damn it.

The only kid of six to
Erin
Jun 16, 2013 Erin rated it it was ok
I found this book frustrating, so much waiting for them to get together, and waiting for Jeremy to come into the scene, only to be tricked into another 'serial' story situation with the the Billionaire stories.

I think I'm done with this author, the story line is good but it's being dragged out and the refusal to commit to a single book is too much for this reader.
Nancy❤The❤Bookaholic
Had potential but execution was lacking

2.5-3 stars

This started off a bit slow. Didn't get too interested into it until somewhere almost at the 80% mark. The storyline had such great potential but the execution was lacking.
Sara
Apr 20, 2014 Sara rated it did not like it
When I read the summary I thought that this book had the potential to be a good read - but it didn't take long before I was skimming entire pages trying to get to the point where the plot picks up and becomes interesting. Unfortunately I never really felt like it happened. To me this book was way too much filler and not enough real plot. The author seemed to dragged out this book so long that I felt like nothing really even happened to move the plot along until the last 10 pages or so. More than ...more
Angel
Nov 11, 2013 Angel rated it did not like it
When I first began reading the story I actually really liked the characters and the idea of mike being undercover. It would have made some great up and down moment.... But then she brought in Jeremy and kept bringing up Dana or something who they had many threesomes with.... Ummmm ok?because it was mentioned so much it was stupidly obvious that she was trying to add that into her story at a later date. But know what? That kind of ruined the story all together. That takes out the romance for me a ...more
Rhonda
Mar 07, 2013 Rhonda rated it it was amazing
I read a review on this and thought I would really like it. I am so glad I grabbed it, but I really wish I would’ve waited to read it until all three books are out. What a freaking cliff hanger. I sometimes watch reality television and I really like the ones where the CEO takes a low paying job in the company to see how everything works. This book is about that.

Michael Bournham, CEO, is acting as Matt Jones, the new Director of Social Media. He really likes his newly acquired admin assistant an
Tanya Korval
Mar 12, 2013 Tanya Korval rated it it was amazing
I devoured this in big, ravenous chunks, which is exactly how it should be read. It’s a pacy, fun read, and easily long enough to justify the price. The reality TV show plot is original and gives the whole story a really fresh and up-to-date feel. Another thing that’s great about this book is its depiction of office life. I’m biased because I’ve worked in a big office, but if you have too, you’ll understand what I mean when you read it. The hero and heroine don’t exist in some sanitized, high-gl ...more
Ivy Deluca
May 30, 2013 Ivy Deluca rated it it was ok
I had seen some recommendations for this book, so I decided to check it out. It was very frustrating because I am NOT a fan of cliffhangers, and have become very jaded when I see books set up as trilogies because it just feels like a money grab. Few stories warrant a multi-book treatment and this, unfortunately, is not one of them.

The H/h had decent chemistry, the story "hook" wasn't bad, but it felt thin from the very beginning and it didn't get better as the story progressed.

I liked the chara
Kara-karina
Sep 13, 2016 Kara-karina rated it really liked it
*non-spoiler review of the whole series*

Alright, peeps! Maliciously Obedient is the first book in series and it's free on Amazon, so go download it. This series seriously cracked me up.

It's kind of sweet and saucy, but what really won me over is the numerous jibes at popular culture which we rarely see in books. Fifty Shades and inner goddess gets its share, other authors too. Blogs like Smart Bitches, Trashy Books and Dear Author, and frank discussion of sex and new trends in erotica.

Of course,
Sandi Ramirez
I love Julia Kent's books. There is not one I have bought I have not liked. I bought this book in May 2014 in the middle of reading all the "Random" books and forgot to read it. Which is fine because now I could sit down and and read all 3 books in the series at one time, which to me is the prefect way to read a series of books.

This series is not as 'funny' as most of Julia's books but there is humor in this set. This book has introduces us to Lydia and Matt/Michael. If you have seen the show Un
Kaf
So this series has the dubious honor of getting me to add two new shelves to my tags list. The first new shelve is "Author owns a thesaurus" and the second is "Overdose of Angst."

I'm rating it as a series as each book has basically the same format of boy & girl meet, angst,angst,angst and one sex scene and book ends. Okay so the one sex scene is not true for book two... I think there was a whooping two maybe three at max.

The angst is so over the top that you would think that you were reading
Megan
Aug 03, 2013 Megan rated it liked it
I judge this book based on how eager I am to read the sequel....and im not on the
Edge of my seat waiting for it like I have with others. Story went pretty slowly til
The end and then left us hanging for the sequel. And then I read the summary of the second book and don't know if it will be worth my time...we shall see. Some repeating of the same info was a little annoying but I did like references to other books and authors and such. I know others didn't like that but I thought it added something
Krista Thoroski
Jun 08, 2016 Krista Thoroski rated it liked it
First half of the book was rather slow so it took me some time to read. Once I got half way it started to pick up. Overall not a bad book. Need a mike brougham in my life!
Saunders
Jan 28, 2014 Saunders rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sandwich
I LOVED this book. It was well written, but I don't think I have has so much laughter and enjoyment from a book in ages. The title says it all - off to read next one :)
Keya
Sep 28, 2014 Keya rated it liked it
This is one of those books that I liked but there were also a few things I didn't like. It was an entertaining read, especially with the way it ended.
Gabby
nice cliffhanger; good premise; not so good story
Donna
Jun 08, 2017 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sexy and Fun

This book should come with a warning! A fun and sexy read with awesome characters and hotter than chili peppers sex scenes. A great store line leaving you with the desire to read more
☆ Eyes On The Stars ☆
Sep 28, 2013 ☆ Eyes On The Stars ☆ rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Hmmmm. This story had an interesting premise. More than anything, I loved how this book constantly referenced pop culture items! Now, in 5 years it might not make a lot of sense (I'm thinking to the book I read a while back ago quoting Tiger Woods as a great husband...) but it is relevant now so that is all that matters.

There were some absolute laugh out loud moments with the dialogue going on in Lydia's head too.

This is the second book I have read in as many weeks where a main character change
Thayrine
Apr 01, 2014 Thayrine rated it it was ok
gee where to even start with this book... i read the excerpt and thought," wow, this seems like its a really great book because of the concept and all", and boy was i wrong. I feel disappointed that i read the whole book thinking OK this is going to get better, its going to get better...and that never happened. it started off really slow, and then just when the story starts to pick up and Matt(Mike) and Lydia start to get there groove on the book ends!! like really?? and who forgets why they are ...more
Sharyn
May 17, 2014 Sharyn rated it it was ok
Thank goodness this was a free book!! I would have been really upset if I had paid for it. Ridiculous situation, a supposed feminist who keeps kissing the "boss" I would have yelled sexual harassment pretty quickly.
She supposedly has a degree in gender studies, but you wouldn't know it by the way she acts!! Mike wants to be a billionare-a multi millionare isn't enough. Then he has a friend, Jeremy who took the money and retired and is living as he pleases and is trying to convince Mike to do the
Becky Rendon
Jul 01, 2015 Becky Rendon rated it it was amazing
I received a copy for an honest review

This book like many of Julia's is funny, steamy, and keeps you on your toes.

Lydia is passed over at work for a job that she wants. The guy who gets it, seems like he could use a little "Sunshine". With nothing going the way she plans (including an attraction to her new boss), Lydia decides to obey every demand...
PepperP0t
Administrative Assistant Lydia Charles can't believe her job goal has been snatched from under her before she even knew that it was available. More humiliating is that Lydia

This entire review and others can be found at: http://www.ireadthatbook.com
Aj
Jan 06, 2017 Sandy Frediani rated it really liked it
Cliffhanger
Tina Clark
Apr 13, 2014 Tina Clark rated it liked it
Sorry DNF. Had a good start but then I lost it. I felt like I was watching the show. I did like the characters. Read half way. Try my best to finish.
Kathi
Jun 12, 2017 Kathi rated it it was amazing
Love this story – Full of humor, angst and super-hot romance!!

Our CEO playing middle manager for a reality show is already having somewhat of an identity crisis, as he cannot use his influence to remedy problems he finds. Lydia resents the guy who was awarded “her job” without it even being posted. Add in an unethical producer who is only concerned about ratings, and we have an ocean of misunderstanding and a thoroughly entertaining and scintillating tale.

Our CEO agreed to the reality show to in
Linda Dossett
Jun 13, 2017 Linda Dossett rated it really liked it
Laugh out loud. So enjoyable. Really, the steam could have been cut from the story, as the fun and hilarious character play was the best part of this book. Good read
Brooke
Oct 10, 2013 Brooke rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I got this as part of the 7-book bundle, Love in Disguise.

The synopsis sounded intriguing. I tried. I really did. But I just couldn't do it. I gave up, about a third of the way through.

So the premise of the story is that Mike is the CEO of a media company and he agrees to participate in a reality show, similar to "Undercover Boss". Lydia is an administrative assistant and when Mike goes undercover, he's her new boss. Mike's best friend is Jeremy, who is a millionaire who doesn't work but just le
Adrienne
May 30, 2014 Adrienne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
TERRIBLE

There are so many ways that this went wrong that it would be easier to say what went right. Oh, wait! That would be nothing.

Reading this was difficult, frustrating, annoying, and it is the perfect example of why authors need editors. The timelines made no sense: Lydia goes from describing her first day at work, and then the ensuing week that follows, only to randomly describe a conversation she had with her friend Krysta that first day in a revelation that occurs two weeks after, or som
Naj (Unputdownable Books)
Apr 18, 2014 Naj (Unputdownable Books) rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Maliciously Obedient started with a memorable occurrence that got me hooked. It was almost nearly impossible for me to put the book down and to even notice the chapter headings going by. The story of a soon-to-be billionaire going "undercover" as a middle manager in his own company for a reality show, just about sparked my interest even more. That show idea was brilliant! But odd enough, it was hard for me to imagine a happy ending for our protagonists.

The characters of the book were actually r
  • Invitation to Seduction (Open Invitation, #1)
  • Your Favorite Girl (YFG, #1)
  • What Wendy Wants
  • Buying Thyme (Thyme Trilogy, #1)
  • Dahlia (Dishabille Sextet #1)
  • Delayed Surrender 1 (Delayed Surrender, #1)
  • Big Girl Backstage Pass (Big Girl, #1)
  • Keep Me Ghosted (Sophie Rhodes Ghostly Romance #1)
  • Becoming His Muse (Becoming His Muse, #1)
  • Turn & Burn (The 'Cuda Confessions, #2)
  • The Collaring Ceremony: His POV (Brie)
  • Will to Love (Lifestyle by Design, #1)
  • Letting Go (Holding On, #2)
  • Abraham's Men (Birch Harbor, #2)
  • What the Heart Wants (Good Gods #2.5)
  • Watching Sin (Fetish & Fantasy #1)
  • Living in Sin (Escort, #1)
  • Holding onto You (Never Letting Go, #2)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Julia Kent writes romantic comedy with an edge. Since 2013, she has sold more than 1.5 million books, with 4 New York Times bestsellers and more than 16 appearances on the USA Today bestseller list. Her books have been translated into French and German, with more titles releasing in 2017.

From billionaires to BBWs to new adult rock stars, Julia finds
More about Julia Kent...

Obedient (4 books)
  • Suspiciously Obedient (Obedient, #2)
  • Deliciously Obedient (Obedient, #3)
  • It's Always Complicated (Her Billionaires #6; Random #8; Obedient #4)

“Being an angry crier sucked.” 1 likes
“Getting caught reading Fifty Shades of Grey in the parking lot at work wasn’t the best way to meet her boss.” 0 likes