Start by marking “Catching Kisses” as Want to Read:
Catching Kisses

Catching Kisses

At any given moment/someone, somewhere
is blowing a kiss.
And somewhere/someone/is catching it.

So begins this journey of the heart, as readers young and old follow a handful of kisses around the United States. From San Francisco to New Orleans to New York City, the text and stylized artwork celebrate all the ways kisses are shared.
Published December 31st 2013 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Catching Kisses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catching Kisses

Jun 23, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books

I could hug, hug, *hug* this beautiful book and never let go!

Like dandelion seeds or bubbles in the breeze. Kisses can float through the air from one heart to another.

“They’re invisible,
But real as the wind in your face.”

These pages are filled with love and kisses. Solid, simple colors and illustrations highlight the words and love perfectly. I loved every line. Warm, poetic lines and pages that show how kisses can move through the world. From person to person and place to place. Young and old.
Jenny
Feb 07, 2016 Jenny rated it really liked it
I love this! I love the text which is fairly simple but each line, each word seemed perfectly chosen to convey both the universality and discrepancies between kisses blown and caught. "Some SMACK! like bubblegum. Some whisper like butterflies. Kisses go with you wherever, whatever the day brings." I absolutely love the illustrations portraying kisses being blown around the nation (in Chicago, Seattle, New York, and New Orleans to name a few locales). I love that a map is included on the end pape ...more
Aeicha
Jan 02, 2014 Aeicha rated it it was amazing
At any given moment/someone, somewhere
is blowing a kiss.
And somewhere/someone/is catching it.

So begins Amy Gibson’s gorgeous Catching Kisses. Gibson takes readers on a whirlwind journey across the Unites States as she explores the beauty and sweetness of the many different kinds of kisses.

Catching Kisses is an absolutely lovely story that is both wonderfully written and illustrated. Gibson’s prose is sparse, yet achingly beautiful. She captures the idea and power of a kiss, and the feelings beh
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Reviewed on Mundie Kids - http://mundiekids.blogspot.com/2014/0...

This book is simply adorable! From the cute story about the various kinds of kisses that exist in the world around us, to the lyrical words, and really cool illustrations, this book is a must have.

I loved the lyrical words. With passages like:

At any given moment, someone, somewhere, is blowing a kiss.
And somewhere, someone is catching it.

And

Like thumbprints and snowflakes, no two are the same.

One of the really cool things about t
Tammi Peterman

Just as the Kirkus review said I think this was a lovely book however most children will be unable to identify with the locations referenced in this book. With that said the map at the end illustrating each location may help students to identify and make sense of the text but this will require additional teaching to fully conceptualize the meaning of the piece. School Library Journal says, "this title may be a tad too abstract and too sentimental for many
Kristina Jean Lareau
Aug 01, 2014 Kristina Jean Lareau rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Amy Gibson's text in Catching Kisses is warm, poetic and thoughtful. She creates a meandering tone that carries the reader throughout the entire book--from the first end pages with fully formed dandelion seeds on stems to the last pages of select seeds carrying the reader outside of the book. The (digital) illustrations capture the tone and blows the reader forward to find the lonely dandelion spore that floats through the pages.

The tone and "search and find" aspect of this book reminds me of Sh
Heather
Oct 24, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely adorable, sweet story that my children and I will enjoy reading together many times. I read this with my 8-year-old son, who thought the book was really great, too. Afterward, he even told me that he wanted some kisses to catch, which I happily blew his way.
Margie
Feb 10, 2014 Margie rated it it was amazing
Kisses can be energetically thrown to speed their arrival. Kisses can be gently blown to wander on currents of air. You can catch a ball. You can catch a cold. But...Catching Kisses (Feiwel And Friends, December 31, 2013) by Amy Gibson with illustrations by Maria van Lieshout is the best of all.

My full review: http://bit.ly/1loDQBb
Shelby
Feb 04, 2016 Shelby rated it it was amazing
Very sweet book with wonderful illustrations. I love when elements are weaved throughout the book, so when you are done reading, you can go back and look closely at the pictures.
Stephanie
Mar 22, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Love the pictures in this book. It goes all over the country, talking about the staying power of kisses.
Ina
Feb 11, 2015 Ina rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-reads
This book with it's simple gentle text and retro feeling illustrations was a wonderful addition to my annual "Hugs and Kisses" story time. At any given moment, someone, somewhere, is blowing a kiss. And somewhere, someone is catching it. The text is lovely and lyrical and the audience is taken to all of the places these kisses fly - from San Francisco through snowy forests, down "Main Street," across the country to the bright lights of New York and down to Florida. My story time audience focused ...more
Katie
Jan 27, 2014 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Such a nice cuddle book. I've always been a fan of van lieshout's illustrations. I didn't realize till a few pages in that we'd be traveling the US catching kisses. It was really cool to be able to identify so many of the locales based on her illustrations.
Melissa
Mar 20, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Catching Kisses offers the total package -- words, images, ideas! The message of this picture book is wonderful -- kisses are as individual and as special as the people who give and receive them. Using a few strong colors (black, red, teal, chartreuse), the illustrator, Maria Van Lieshout, provides immediately identifiable scenes, including cities (Chicago, Miami, New York), natural places (forest, park) and, of course, homes and libraries. The illustrations -- combined with the story -- make th ...more
Michelle McBeth
Dec 25, 2014 Michelle McBeth rated it it was amazing
The story follows the idea that when you blow on a dandelion puff, you are sending kisses out on the wind. The story goes from one town to another showing examples of what kisses are like in different places and among different cultures. "Kisses go with you wherever, whatever the day brings."

At first I didn't care for the muted colors of the illustrations, but they quickly grew on me. I enjoyed looking for the dandelion puffs on each page. I adored the fact that the illustrator used different co
Sara Grochowski
In CATCHING KISSES, bold images and touching descriptions of kisses of all types guide little readers with big hearts on a journey from coast to coast. As the text provides a universal story illustrating the power of a kiss, the accompanying images offer an opportunity to catch those kisses, and the love and friendship they represent, in action! CATCHING KISSES is a heartwarming addition to any library.
Dorothy From
Jan 26, 2014 Dorothy From rated it it was amazing
Just lovely. Perfect for lap time with little ones. Both the text and pictures speak to the power of love.
Heather Love
Mar 23, 2014 Heather Love rated it it was amazing
A sweet story with charming illustrations, with a soft lilting rhyme. It wraps you up with warm tenderness and begs to be shared.

Small note: I am particularly smitten with the illustration for Chicago, giving a loving nod to the Chicago Public Library. Actually, there are lots of small nods and literary kisses to books and libraries in this charming book!
Becky B
An ode to kisses blown and received in a wide variety of situations and places.

The kisses are represented by what looks like dandelion seeds. The illustrations are all done in almost silhouette illustrations with only black, white, turquoise, maroon, and yellow shades. The cities featured in the illustrations are not labeled except on the back end paper where there's a map of USA with the cities featured. There are enough hints many adults will be able to figure out which city is which illustra
Karen
Jul 14, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
I didn't expect very much from this little book, but I loved, loved, loved it -- so much so, in fact, that I think we need our own copy for the home library.
Julia
A sweet travel themed story about the unstoppability of a blown kiss.
Gabrielle Blockton
Jun 22, 2015 Gabrielle Blockton rated it really liked it
Date: June 22nd, 2015

Author/Illustrator: Amy Gibson; Illustrated by Maria Van Lieshout

Title: Catching Kisses

Plot: This book is dedicated to the power of "kisses".

Settings: Various locations shown throughout the book

Characters: Various characters shown throughout the book

Point-Of-View: Third-Person

Theme: Love

Style: Illustrations created by Adobe Illustrator; Children's Picture Book

Copyright: 2013

Notes: I enjoyed reading the book, but I LOVED the illustrations. I would recommend to any reader, es
Jan 15, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
Beautiful poem with delightful illustrations... but I'm not sure about the kid-appeal...
Linda
This will be fun to share with a young child, all about kisses, coming your way, traveling through traffic, soft as a whisper or loud with a “smack”. Kisses are flying, and they tickle too. The story has traveling illustrations showing children watching to see where the kisses are go, and a map in the back to see if you recognized the places included. The illustrations are graphic, and include lots of silhouettes.
Lindsay
Feb 06, 2014 Lindsay rated it liked it
Poetic text describes all kinds of kisses and their attributes. The illustrations remind me of a less stylized i>Along a Long Road because of the use of black and a limited color palette. The places in each illustration are depictions of real places shown on a map on the back end page. Fun for an older story time crowd around Valentine's Day.
Erin
This is one of those books that is written for both kids and adults. The words are simple and descriptive, and all about the same thing--blowing kisses. The illustrations are simple and clear, but of different cities in the US that will entertain the adults reading the book.

Good for toddler or preschool storytime.
Tina Qualls
Feb 08, 2015 Tina Qualls rated it really liked it
Shelves: bmj-2015
Loved, loved, LOVED the illustrations. Not sure about using it as a read-aloud. Even the little ones are somewhat squeamish about kissing, but this would make a PERFECT gift to a child from an adult that doesn't live close by to remind them that their kisses to each other can travel to each other in both directions.
Casey
Mar 02, 2014 Casey rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2014
I only put picture books on Goodreads that I want to remember to read again. This is not one of those books. The story is a dud, probably a one or two, but the illustrations are wonderful. I love the style and the color palate. There are many that I would like to frame and hang on my walls.
Lori
Feb 21, 2014 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
A beautiful book. Makes you feel like you are surrounded by all those floating kisses. I especially loved guessing where they were floating, since an early page reminded me of Pike Place Market in Seattle. The map in the back confirmed my hunch.
paula
Feb 19, 2014 paula rated it it was amazing
"They're invisible, but real as the wind in your face."

It is THIS kind of concrete imagery that people don't use often enough in books for kids. I just want to remember that line for the next time I see some kind of abstruse analogy in a picture book.
Sheri
Apr 17, 2014 Sheri rated it liked it
Cute idea but was expecting more in the text. The illustrations are vintage contemporary with interesting colors and silhouettes which I loved but was bored reading it to my daughter. The cover and title are cute. Maybe it will grow on me.
  • Pardon Me!
  • Maggi and Milo
  • A Book of Babies
  • Peek-a-Boo Bunny
  • The Short Giraffe
Having earned her BA in English from Stanford University and MA in Education, Amy put her schooling to excellent use – she became an elementary school teacher. In the classroom, she framed her entire school year as a trip around the world, exploring animals and cultures along the way. She’s passionate about making language and learning irresistible fun.
More about Amy Gibson...

“At any given moment,
someone,
somewhere,
is blowing a kiss.
And somewhere, someone is catching it.”
0 likes