Start by marking “If You Leave (Beautifully Broken, #2)” as Want to Read:
If You Leave (Beautifully Broken, #2)
Read Excerpt

If You Leave (Beautifully Broken #2)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  8,031 ratings  ·  576 reviews
26-year old Gabriel Vincent is a badass hero. Or he used to be, anyway. As an ex-Army Ranger, Gabe never thought he needed anyone. But after one horrible night in Afghanistan scars him in a way that he can't get past, he needs someone who can help him heal...even if he doesn't realize it.

25-year old Madison Hill doesn't need anybody...or so she thinks. She grew up watching
Published August 6th 2013 by Forever (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about If You Leave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Leave

Panic by J.A. HussSimple Perfection by Abbi GlinesSafe with Me by Kristen ProbyConvicted by Aleatha RomigEverything for Us by M. Leighton
September & October 2013 releases!
23rd out of 278 books — 1,149 voters
Origin by Jennifer L. ArmentroutInto the Deep by Samantha YoungCrown of Midnight by Sarah J. MaasJust in Case by Elizabeth MarxMeeting With Christ and Other Poems by Deepak Chaswal
Best books of August, 2013
25th out of 94 books — 415 voters

More lists with this book...

Lkay ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
5 (I wish I could give it more) Beautifully Broken Stars

I knew going in that I can't ever be with anyone. That I'm not whole. That I'm not normal. That I'm a monster. That I'm the bad thing.

She wants me. And I want her. Fucking her would be like harnessing a raging summer storm.

This book book gutted me, it broke my heart into a million different pieces, and then it put it back together piece by shattered piece.

The book starts off with a bang, as I've come to associate to books written by Cou
Karina Halle
I don't normally read romance. That may or may not be surprising to some. Usually it's because I get bored easily and have low-tolerance for a genre flooded with insipid writing, flat characters and lack of plot.

Cole's writing is easy, yet poetic. Her characters are tough, flawed and tortured by very real demons. There's enough believable plot to keep my interest piqued and the pages turning.

Told from the dual POV of Madison and Gabriel, we are given one fiesty and
Amy (Foxy)
Aug 12, 2013 Amy (Foxy) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Amy (Foxy) by: Kara
If You Leave is a continuing story of If You Stay with secondary characters from the first book as main characters in this book. I had forgotten what a *bang* these books open up with…it grabs you right from the first chapter.

The series is amply titled: Beautifully Broken for all the tragedy and heartache these characters must endure to find happiness.

Gabriel is an emotionally wounded soldier who has come home damaged. Maddy is an emotionally damaged woman from her parents' death and her da
Jazmin Gonzalez
Wow I really loved this book. It was such a great and heartfelt story. I love the writing and the characters. Their is no way someone can hate this book. 5 stars!

Why would anyone give this 1 star already?? It is not out nor do you know what it is about...

Go away!
WOW. After loving If You Stay, I had high hopes for If You Leave. Madison was a terrific character in that novel, and was definitely worthy of a story of her own. What I didn't count on was Gabriel Vincent. This man, his story... blew this book wide open. I won't continue to draw comparisons between the two, but for as much as I loved If You Stay, I loved If You Leave even more.

If You Leave is a fairly heavy story. First there's Madison, who hinted at having some issues in If You Stay, but since
Aug 13, 2013 J rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: favorites

Lonely and living a life that she would never had envisioned, Maddy's life becomes less and less hers and more her parents.
Maddy let her dreams go and stepped in to her parents life when they passed away.
No longer happy, Maddy can't seem to find the strength to let go and follow her own dreams.

~ No one needs to know that I really don't know shit- that I drift along in life without any real answers. No one needs to now that there are times when I seriously hate how things turned out, and tha
Autumn Review
IF YOU LEAVE was emotionally gripping, tragic, and heartbreaking, but there was also tenderness and love. I've read a few different books where the main characters have suffered from PTSD, but I can tell you that this book provided, what I imagine to be, a very realistic account of what it must be like to live with or with someone suffering from PTSD. Cole did an amazing job at grabbing the reader immediately into these characters lives.

I'm going to start with Maddy, because I felt a strong att
Natasha is a Book Junkie
“Everyone always seems to leave me, Gabe… if you leave, if you leave, nothing will ever be OK again.”

Gabriel “Gabe” Vincent is a war hero, broken by the horrors he had to see and live through. He suppresses his memories and the scars they left on his psyche by refusing to deal with them, but they torture him in his sleep, night terrors making him relive all the ugliness he survived, filling his every night with violence and making him believe that he is irreparably broken.

“Is everyone in th
..Courtney Cole you did it again..

~Gabriel & Madison~

This was the perfect follow up to "If You Stay" although tone of this book is very different from the first.

I loved Gabriel and Madison what amazing characters. Such a powerful and wonderfully written story, down to the wooden spoon. I just love Courtney's writing style...she drags you into a tale that will leave you breathless. So intense, raw and just amazing. If you haven't read her books GO NOW AND DO SO!!!

I would recommend this book

This book was AMAZING. This is the 4th book by Courtney Cole that I have read and I have to say she never disappoints me. She has become an automatic buy Author for me. I love her writing style. The way she can create so much feeling into her stories and books is outstanding. Every book I read by her brings out a gamut of different emotions for me. This book was no different. I smiled like a goon, I swooned, I got pissed and I cried my eyes out. I love whe
HOLY SHIT!!! Once again, Courtney you have blown me away!!!

Courtney Cole has done it again!!! She had me hooked from beginning to end.

If You Leave is Gabriel (Gabe) and Madison's (Maddy) story. Maddy is Mila's sister from the first book If You Stay and we got to know her a little bit in that book. Gabriel is an ex-Army Ranger and his sister is Jacey who happens to be Maddy's best friend.

Maddy and Gabe first meet outside of a club one night but have no clue who the other person really is. Gabe
Taryn at My Secret Romance

Ahhhh!! Another book? I had no idea it was a series! Can't wait!!
Aug 09, 2013 Eli rated it 5 of 5 stars
this book is going to be amaaazing <3
Ashley Christin
Copy was provided by Forever (Grand Central Publishing) for an honest review.
5 Beautifully Broken Stars.

The bad thing caught you.
I’ve never retreated in my life. I’ve never backed away from a fight and I’ve never cowered in fear. Ever. That’s not who I am. But I’ve been in combat long enough to know that when something unbeatable chases you, you do the only thing you can do.
You run. – Gabe

Gabe is a badass army hero, but he has seen a lot of messed up shit. Sometimes you don’t come back from tha
Cari Sury (Girl+Book Love Blog)
**See more of my reviews at!

If You Leave is the story of Madison and Gabriel. I really liked Madison from If You Stay, book 1 of the Beautifully Broken series, and was glad she was getting her own story.

Madison came with her best friend Jacey to a club to celebrate her friend’s birthday, but after Jacey disappears with a guy and Madison feet start hurting, she decides to head home. In the process of trying to find Jacey, Madison stumbles upon the sexiest, most rugged man in
4.5 you saved me stars.

Madison Hill had to grow up fast. Her youth was spent protecting her sister Mila from the ugliness of her father and her young adult life was spent carrying the dreams of her parents who passed away. She’s responsible and she’s been hardened because of her choices in life, choices she never wanted to make.

Gabriel Vincent is running from his past. Years spent living his dreams of an Army Ranger and now nights filled with nightmares that he can’t seem to escape. He’s drowni
Confessions Of A Book Heaux
Like us on Facebook
Read More Reviews On Our Blog

Ok, I can't lie... I was veeeeery skeptical about reading this book. I love, love, love "If You Stay" but I didn't love Maddy in that book. I thought for sure her story would not be interesting at all because she didn't seem interesting.

I love this book just as much, if not more than the first book.

Gabe is one seriously hot man! And he's a freakin Army Ranger so we KNOW he is bad ass! I have visions of him picking me up by his pinky and throw
Such a heartwarming story. I love it!!!
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
This book follows on from If You Stay but with different lead characters. This is Gabriel and Maddy's story. Both characters have their issues and this leads to some emotional and heart breaking scenes. Gabriel being a war hero has many issues and the PTSD that he was rewarded with for his service leads to nightmares or should I say night terrors, so he is permanently tortured. He believes that he is irreparably broken. Maddy has her own issues too, borne from parents in a violent and loveless m ...more
Nick ••[Nick & Nereyda's Infinite Booklist]

Read more of my reviews at Nick's Book Blog.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the first book, If You Stay, in this series, but I liked the premise of this book and wanted to give it a shot. If You Leave tells the story of Gabriel, an ex-Army ranger, who returns to the US from Afghanistan, emotionally scarred from the events of one brutal night. PTSD is a topic that intrigues me. My first encounter with it in books was in Something Like Normal by Trish Doller. Now, while I do not like to compare books,
I originally posted this review on my blog Worn Down Glories.

I knew right away that IF YOU LEAVE would have some sort of impact on me, but I wasn’t sure how it would. I was blown away by the story and found myself relating more to what Gabe and Maddy were going through more than many readers probably could.

We got a glimpse of what Maddy went through and her parents relationship, which is where things really started to hit home for me. My parents divorced when I was a kid and it wasn’t pretty for
As an avid reader of this genre I know how much emphasis we put on "book boyfriends", myself included. Madison Hill from If You Leave changes that for me. Madison would be top five on my list of book girlfriends. She is an incredibly strong heroine. She's also incredibly broken. Tainted by the volatile relationship of her parents and scarred from their tragic death leaves Madison a shell of her former self. But she never stops. She assumes responsibility for her parents lives even though she res ...more
The bad thing caught you.
I've never retreated away from a fight and I've never cowered in fear. Ever. That's not who I am. But I've been in combat long enough to know that when something unbeatable chases you, you do the only you can do. You run.

Gabe is a retired Army Ranger that went through trauma in Afghanistan and is having difficulty adjusting to civilian life and putting the horror behind him. I felt for Gabe from the very beginning. He was a tough alpha hero with a tortured, guilt-ridden
MareTara SLiTsReaD Reviews~Lover of all things MM
This review is posted on:

I LOVE how these 2 met!!! In an alley, hot steamin kisses, a really sexy taxi ride!!!!

These 2 Broken people come a long way in this book and fight lots of demons. It was a good story and I enjoyed it much more than book 1. I love that Pax and Mila were also in this and we got to see how their married life has come along.

Gabriel was sexy, smokin hott, a veteran and utterly FUCKING BROKEN!

I loved hi
I want to start saying that I loved Pax and Mila's story, so maybe one of my problems with this book is that my expectations were great. Unfortunately is difficult to live up to such high expectations.

- I think the author has an amazing talent and she sure knows how to create alpha males that will make you swoon and feel protective of them at the same time.
- The sexy scenes are hot and will leave you wanting for more.
- It was nice to read more about Pax and Mila. Those two make me smile!

Yvette Cervera
I will admit that I’m a huge wimp when it comes to dealing with conflict in books, which is why it was so difficult to finish the first book in Courtney Cole’s Beautifully Broken series, If You Stay. The story is beautifully written but the tumultuous relationship between bad boy Pax Tate and Mila Hill seriously messed with my emotions. Cole has a gift for writing about tortured heroes, because the male protagonist in book two, Gabe Vincent, broke my heart into tiny pieces on several occasions. ...more
Aug 11, 2013 Derna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: arc

***I received an ARC copy of this book in exchange for an honest review ***

If You Leave, is Madison Hill’s Story, Mila’s sister from If You Stay. Maddy had given up her own dreams, when her parents died, she left her life in New York to return home and take over the running of their restaurant. Maddy is really not happy with her life, she feels there is no enjoyment in it. Running a restaurant was not her dream it was her parents but feels it's her responsibility and what she has to do
Courtney Cole completely sucked me into this book very quickly. The first chapter shows us that Gabriel Vincent is an army ranger and he has been deeply affected by things he has seen at war. He is hurting mentally in a bad way. This chapter left me sort of horrified, actually, but at the same time, I wanted to crawl into the book and soothe him. I knew right away that this was going to be a deeply emotional book.

Madison meets Gabriel by chance outside of a club. She rarely goes out and she dec
If you leave is a story of Gabriel and Madison ( or Maddy, Mila's sister from If you stay). First off, the well-loved couple Pax & Mila is very much a part of this story - which I really appreciate because I love them! - although the focus is on Gabe and Maddy. Gabe was a ranger who left the service suffering from PTSD while Maddy has some issues we didn't get to find out in If you stay. i don't have any family member in the military, so what I really appreciate about this book is how it ope ...more
Eleanor (The Book Hammock)
Courtney Cole has managed to do something very few books in the last few weeks were able to do and that was make me cry. I don’t think my pillow cover was this wet since probably December 2012 *cough* Nastya and Josh *cough* even though we’re talking two VERY different issues.

If You Leave follows Mila’s older sister, Madison, and a certain ex-Ranger with serious issues. And when I say serious, I mean “Holy crap, I could die” serious.

Jacey, Maddy’s best friend and employee has been dying to get h
  • Façade (Games, #2)
  • By Referral Only (Whitman University, #2)
  • Perfect Regret (Bad Rep, #2)
  • Unspoken (Woodlands, #2)
  • Hopeless For You
  • Finders Keepers (Lost and Found, #3)
  • The Destiny of Violet & Luke (The Coincidence, #3)
  • Glass Hearts (Hearts, #2)
  • Falling into Us (Falling, #2)
  • Everything for Us (The Bad Boys, #3)
  • Safe (Conquering, #1)
  • Torn (Connections, #2)
  • My Unexpected Forever (The Beaumont Series, #2)
  • Three Broken Promises (One Week Girlfriend, #3)
  • Off Course (Off, #4)
  • Unafraid (Beachwood Bay, #2)
  • Wrong Kind of Love (Young Love, #4)
  • Pieces of You (Shattered Hearts, #2)
Courtney Cole is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling novelist who would eat mythology for breakfast if she could.

She has a degree in Business, but has since discovered that corporate America is not nearly as fun to live in as fictional worlds.

Courtney was born and raised in rural Kansas, but has since migrated south. She now lives in Florida and writes beneath palm trees.

Learn more about
More about Courtney Cole...

Beautifully Broken (4 books)
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
  • Before We Fall (Beautifully Broken, #3)
  • Until We Fly (Beautifully Broken, #4)

“The good news is that fear is a choice. You can stand in front of it, punch it in the face and get on with life. - Gabe” 21 likes
“That day, that one day, changed me forever. It taught me that everything you love, everyone you love, even if you love them and hate them at the same time, can be taken away in a moment and there isn't anything you can do to change it.” 13 likes