Start by marking “The Vogue Factor” as Want to Read:
The Vogue Factor

The Vogue Factor

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  429 ratings  ·  76 reviews
In May 2012 Kirstie Clements was unceremoniously sacked after thirteen years in the editors chair at Vogue Australia. Here she tells the story behind the headlines, and takes us behind the scenes of a fast-changing industry.During a career at Vogue that spanned twenty-five years, Clements rubbed shoulders with Karl Lagerfeld, Kylie Minogue, Ian Thorpe, Crown Princess Mary, ...more
Published March 1st 2013 by Melbourne University Press (first published February 26th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Vogue Factor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vogue Factor

Cass
I felt like I was reading a very long Oscar acceptance speech.

Despite being the editor of Vogue Australia for thirteen years, The author was remarkably humble. I like her for it. I enjoyed the little anecdotes about how difficult it was for the team to get seats at the fashion week shows (Vogue Australia being low in the pecking order of fashion magazines).

However most of the book was filled with comments about famous people she met and how awestruck she was. Every paragraph seems to mention a
Susan
This might be better titled Revenge on the Vogue Factor. Kirstie Clements, longtime editor of Vogue Australia was unceremoniously ousted from her position in 2012. This book is her revenge. What's missing is anything about Vogue. She worked her way up from receptionist to editor, yet this reader gets no sense of the inner workings of the magazine. How does one get produced? What choices are made? And why aren't there any pictures?

Clements does seem gaga over celebrities--She loves Cate Blanchett
Dierregi
After having read a couple of depressing books about the imminent self-destruction of planet earth, due to human greed and stupidity, I was in need of some relief. I thought that whatever the problem was with Vogue, I could handle it easily.

Turns out, this book was also depressing, although on a different level. Vogue target readers are wealthy, carefree VIPs, interested in haute-couture and luxury. Unfortunately, due to the deterioration of our economy, the number of readers who can only dream
This Charming Mum
Kirstie Clements was unceremoniously dumped from iconic fashion magazine Vogue after 25 years’ service; 13 in the editor’s chair. She wasted no time in signing a book deal to have the last word on the incident, but this is no bitter autobiography. As she says in one of this book’s many quotable quotes “How you conduct yourself on the way out is more important than how you went in” – and The Vogue Factor shows Clement to be a perfectionist and consummate professional. This colourful memoir of a b ...more
Arra Abella
Mar 13, 2013 Arra Abella rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fashion enthusiasts
It has always been a dream of mine to work in the fashion industry, specifically on the events, styling, and of course, writing. As I saw this on Netgalley, I couldn't just pass up the chance and requested for it immediately. Luckily, I was approved! The book is screaming VOGUE. Well, of course it was! It is on the title but it was more than that. A girl would know exactly what it is all about the moment she heard that particular word. It was like programmed in our being as women to immediately ...more
Fiona Taylor-davis
Fascinating insight into the world of magazine publishing. I loved Vogue Aus under Kirstie Clements, still deciding if I like the title under the new editor.

Clements comes across as an inspiring and strong woman, yet relate-able. Seems like the sort of woman who would be a great boss and mentor. Her personal anecdotes are entertaining and her insights are sharp and intelligent.

I hope she continues writing as a fashion commentator and author.
Claudia
This was an interesting book, and I enjoyed to learn more about Australia's fashion industry. The author writes about Australian talents models, photographers, stylists, designers and locations. I also admire her for never badmouthing her former colleagues or any other person she worked with. While she tells stories about arrogant models or mean photographers, she does not name them. It's her integrity that is so special about her.
She writes about her early days as a receptionist, photo shoots o
Debbie Manning
I was a lucky Goodreads winner. I loved traveling around the world with Kirstie, and seeing the fashion industry through her eyes. I think my favorite chapter was the one about the time she spent with the Dutch royals. Some of her name dropping went over my head as I'm not a fashion insider, but not so much that it wasn't an enjoyable read. Although the book starts off with the author being fired (not a spoiler), after reading the book, I'm sure she's landed squarely on her feet.
Nicola Watkinson
This book was really interesting - less Devil Wears Prada bitching and snobbery, more honest hard work and dedication, as well as a clear love of fashion. For someone who also has a great appreciation for the fashion industry and magazine writing, this book gave me an insight into both worlds, and the ways in which they have changed since the 80s. Exciting, informative, and a quick read.
Online Eccentric Librarian
The Vogue Factor is purported to be a tell-all from an insider but honestly the agenda here seems to be more about congratulating the associates whom she favored and the celebrities she admired. As such it lacks an interesting angle or even raison d'etre other than to make a case that the owners shouldn't have replaced her.

The book is set out chronologically, with an overall arc from her beginnings as a receptionist to her last days at the magazine. As such, there is very little about the author
Celeste
I was so pleased that this book was about VOGUE AND FASHION the one thing I hate is when the writer gives you the illusion that you are going to read about one thing...the REASON why you brought the book in the first place but than the wrtiter dribbles on about crap for 95% of the book!!

So 10/10 to Kirstie Clements who didn't dribble on about crap!!!

Kirstie was the editor at Vogue Australia from 1999 to 2012 she had a career spanning 25 years with Vogue before she was unceremoniusly sacked.

In T
Olwen
Really enjoyed this book. It’s partly biography, partly a peek into the fashion magazine industry, Vogue Australia in particular. I can only imagine how it must feel to every month have to come up with a leading-edge creative fashion magazine with an eye for the best of everything while balancing the wants of readers with the expectations of advertisers and scrutiny of management and owners. Oh, and manage the team of people who put it all together. Huge job!

Like many women I enjoy dressing up
Verity Challinor
As a whole I liked it. Would I read it again no. It was an interesting insight into the fashion world, But after a while the book turned into a list of name dropping. Not to metion telling everyone how wonderful everything and everybody was. I did kind of want more dirt to be dished. Worth a read, but dont go running to the shops in desperation to pick up a copy.
Angie Eikens
This book was torture. She came across as selfrighteous and bitter and extremely condescending.We get it she spent alot of years at Vogue therefore she knows what's best for it. It just came across as a final up yours to Vogue for firing here. At best it was horrible.
Chic Exchange
This is vogue! It is funny Face and Diana Vreeland, it is grace and elegance. There is none of the cattiness of Devil Wears Prada here. Just Vogue in all it's fabulous glory. Revel in it!
Tiffany
I won this book through Goodreads and really enjoyed reading it. I found it both inspiring and a subject of poignant appeal to me. My dream is to work with fashion or beauty someday. If you are not interested in the fashion, beauty, or media industries, or the Vogue masthead, I would suggest you not read it. Reading this book I was inspired by Ms. Clements journey from receptionist to editor of Vogue Australia. I was fascinated by her story and entranced with every project, meeting, and party. S ...more
Ella
I won this book as a Goodreads First Reads and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. Before reading this book the only other peek I've had into the inner workings of the fashion world came from watching America Ferreira scramble around at Mode in Ugly Betty. The author did a good job of showing all the trials and tribulations that came with doing what she did and including all the perks without sounding like she was whining or bragging. I feel as if anybody reading this book would be able to p ...more
Jessica Bernard
At the culmination of her career with Vogue Australia, Kirstie Clements gives the reader a glimpse of her adventures and promotions though a widely known popular fashion magazine. Working through the ranks and striving to improve, never becoming complacent, the author recounts of her former employer, those she met, and her experiences with a high regard - something most would probably find trouble doing themselves in a similar situation. In following her passion for writing, K. Clements teaches ...more
Michelle
A few weeks ago I graduated university with a Bachelor of Journalism, a heart full of passion and the hope that one day I will be working at a magazine. So, it was quite fitting that I started reading this in between driving stints on the road trip back to uni. I was completely hooked, swept along on Clements’ fairytale journey from switchboard to editor’s chair. Although The Vogue Factor is not for everyone, it is a wonderful insight into the world of fashion and magazine publishing.

Being an au
Brenda
Before seeing this book on Netgalley, I had never heard of Kirstie Clements, former editor of Vogue Australia. But I like tell-all fashion books, and I like learning about Australian pop culture, so I checked out The Vogue Factor!

If you're looking for a true Devil Wears Prada, this memoir isn't it. From my perspective, Clements is refreshingly down-to-earth and appreciative of everything her career has brought her. After starting at Vogue as a receptionist in the 80s, she naturally climbed throu
Julie
Kirstie Clements was the editor at Vogue Australia for thirteen years, rising from the ranks after starting initially as a receptionist. Working at various jobs within the publication, I enjoyed hearing about her early life and career. The tales of wonderful parties, fabulous people and designers make the reading of this book like sitting and enjoying some gossip with a girlfriend.

The business side didn't interest me much though, and it seems a ruthless career choice - where your job can be take
Elsie Kassis
A lot has been said about the apparent demise of former Vogue Australia editor Kirstie Clements who was unceremoniously dumped from her post almost a year ago after twenty five years of service at the magazine, with thirteen of those years spent in the editor’s chair. Thinking back on that particular day as I sit and write this review I distinctly remember discussing the difference between Harper’s Bazaar and Vogue at the time with fellow colleagues of mine at fashion week, only a couple of days ...more
Amelia
It’s often difficult to get a peek into the (not-so) glamorous world of magazine publishing. Perhaps it is this that has driven the hype surrounding the autobiography of former Vogue Australia editor Kirstie Clements.

The Vogue Factor narrates the rise and hugely publicized fall of Clements, offering an insight into the workings behind the famous publication along the way.

For anyone interested in the fashion world, The Vogue Factor is a must read. However, while the heavyweight obviously met som
Suzy Wilson
I received an ARC from Melbourne University Press, via NetGalley, in return for an honest review.

For someone who was a longtime editor of Vogue, Ms Clements seems to have forgotten the first rule of editing - er, to edit.

This book was less a chronology of a woman's rise from the reception desk to the role of editor, and more a catalogue of name dropping wow moments and sledging. There is virtually nothing about the woman, other than a melange of bitterness and grief about her unceremonious eject
Sam Still Reading
Mar 24, 2013 Sam Still Reading rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Vogue
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: saw eARC on Net Galley
A memoir of a Vogue editor sounds like a compelling idea for a book. All that glamour, travel, fashion and beauty plus all the gossip behind the scenes of models, designers, the rich and famous… it’s a life that most of us will never live. Kirstie Clements held the coveted position of editor of Vogue Australia, but it was a culmination of hard work, long days, arduous travel and ever-changing boundaries in an increasingly shaky market. Clements managed to outlast a number of editors, CEOs and co ...more
Chloe
The Vogue factor is a journal of Kirstie Clements adventure in the fashion industry, entertaining, honest and funny. Full of stories of the people she met inside of Vogue Australia and the bittersweet world of high fashion.

Starting from the beginning Clements tells the tale of her journey from receptionist to editor of Vogue Australia. We gleam an insight to the bittersweet world of high fashion. Both the highs and the lows. This is not a revenge book for naming and shaming. A majority of the st
Ang
In spite of the fact that I don't much like memoirs (okay, I hate them), I actually enjoyed this. Two reasons: it was short and sweet, and it was also a really good look behind the scenes at an international edition of Vogue. Also, and I can't say what version you will read, the one I had was simply beautiful to hold. The published did a great job making it a stylish and pleasurable read aside from what was inside, which isn't as common as it should be.
Jessica
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I give this book 3.5 stars which rounds up to 4. I enjoyed this book, but it did have some flaws. The timeline was a bit jumpy at times, going from event to event. I also wished there were pictures of some of the things mentioned, like Princess Mary's cover photo. Overall is was a good book that didn't bash Vogue. So if you're looking for a Devil Wears Prada sort of story, this book isn't for you.
Michael
I just recently finished this book,
It was insightful to the fashion industry and where I work in this sector myself I also found I related to some of the stories and topics mentioned with the buisness of fashion.

Clements gives a fun honest take on Vogue Australia and gossipy stories from other members of the industry.
She also talks about the way the fashion Magazine industry is leading to mainly digital and challenges of surviving in print format.

If you interested in fashion especially the buisn
Amma
The writing wasn't astounding and at times it felt long as we leap from one stack of information to another. However, the book was inciteful and shed light into an intriguing and sometimes mysterious world of fashion.
I personally loved the glitz and glamour and found it endearing that even though she was a vogue editor, she also had "wow pinch me, is it real" moments in her encounters.
A pleasant read!
  • Grace: Thirty Years Of Fashion At Vogue.
  • D.V.
  • Front Row: Anna Wintour: The Cool Life and Hot Times of Vogue's Editor in Chief
  • An Intimate Life: Sex, Love, and My Journey as a Surrogate Partner
  • The Beautiful Fall: Lagerfeld, Saint Laurent, and Glorious Excess in 1970s Paris
  • Model: The Ugly Business of Beautiful Women
  • Lessons in Becoming Myself
  • A Twist Of Lennon
  • Vogue: The Editor's Eye
  • House of Versace: The Untold Story of Genius, Murder, and Survival
  • I Don't Know: In Praise of Admitting Ignorance (Except When You Shouldn't)
Kirstie Clements is a best selling author, editor, journalist, consultant, and key-note speaker, with vast first hand experience in the luxury industry. Kirstie worked for Condé Nast International and Vogue for more than 25 years and was editor-in-chief of Vogue Australia for 13 years (1999-2012). She has written articles and columns for numerous publications, websites and newspapers and most rece ...more
More about Kirstie Clements...
Tongue in Chic In Vogue: 50 Years of Australian Style. Edited by Kirstie Clements and Lee Tulloch Impressive: How to have a stylish career The Australian Women's Weekly : fashion the first 50 years