Start by marking “Moonrise” as Want to Read:

Moonrise (Moonbase Saga #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,290 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Moonrise is the epic story of the first permanent human settlement on the Moon.
Brilliant, driven, visionary, former astronaut Paul Stavanger seizes his chance to use his power at Masterson Aerospace to colonize the last frontier, creating a viable, flourishing, nearly self-sufficient community at Moonbase.
When his son Douglas comes of age, his determination to carry on whe
Published May 15th 1997 by Hodder Paperbacks (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Moonrise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moonrise

Mar 29, 2008 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ben Bova writes wonderful science fiction about outposts of humans on other planets, etc. THis was another very entertaining book that makes you feel like you are living on the moon.
Oct 27, 2009 Derek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a normal ride through the Ben Bova universe. Nothing extraordinary. This is the base for a number of his other stories (of which I have already read) thus I felt the need to read it. The only complaint is that it covers such a vast amount of time and events (over a quarter century as he states a few times). All around a good read if you enjoy Bova. A must read to get to Moonwar which was an above average book.
The story of a family's fascination with the moon and inhabiting it. Set in the near future, the first part details one man's fight to get the corporation he's suddenly leading to keep its moonbase project alive so it can finally realise the dream he has of it (and incidentally become profitable along the way). The second part details his son's and his wife's battle to do the same, only in a world now violently opposed to the nanotechnology that is the only thing letting the moonbase expand and ...more
Erik Graff
Jun 25, 2010 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bova fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I had read Kinsman, another of Bova's near-future Moon novels, and had enjoyed both its realism and humanity. When I found this title promising another such novel I was interested enough to obtain it and read it despite having pretty much given up on trying to keep up with science fiction. Although it was okay, it did not emotionally move me as much as Kinsman's treatment of the Cold War and the development of space weaponry had.
1 & 1/2 stars only. Flat two dimensional characters, stereotypes all, make up the cast of this basic sci if tale of a moon base, and the troubles which befall the family who runs it. Sub standard writing and storyline. Kept reading to see if it would improve. It didn't.
Greg Sidor
Feb 17, 2011 Greg Sidor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved "Venus" and "Jupiter," but was less taken with "Saturn." Luckily, "Moonrise" is in line with the first two titles.

The adventure itself is great. Bova's nuanced description of the Moon paints a convincing picture. I do take issue with the ending. It seemed to go a little off the rails and ended quickly. He definitely could get another title out of these characters.
Mar 09, 2011 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Moonrise, by Ben Bova, is a favorite of mine because it was the novel that finally convinced me that Hard Science-Fiction could be just as entertaining as the action-packed space opera and military science fiction that I have always loved.

In Ben Bova's Grand Tour series, of which this is an early example, the action is confined only to technology that is theoretically within our reach now, the colonisation of the solar system and the actions of the human race as a whole. There are no aliens to f
Fairly interesting tale about the colonization of the moon. Although he might not have planned it that way originally, Moonwar kicked off Bova’s “Grand Tour of the Solar System” series. All in all, the Moon books are enjoyable, but not outstanding. The rather bleak ecodisaster future for the Earth often used as a backdrop by Bova is, I think, first portrayed here.
Dave Wooldridge
Sep 22, 2013 Dave Wooldridge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic hard SF tale that ranks as one of Ben Bova's best, right up there with his instant classic "Mars".
Rob Roy
Jan 15, 2012 Rob Roy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This is the story of the early development of the new frontier on the moon, bound up by the lives of a far knit family. Tedious in places, but worth the read. Along with the story of development on the lunar surface, is the story of the triumph of fanaticism in the world. On the moon there is hope, on the earth despair. The truth of religion trumps liberty worldwide.
Apr 10, 2012 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I have read a couple of Ben Bova books and gave this book 3 stars as had some good moments but i found i had to wade through a lot of yawn to get to it. i find with Ben Bova that first third of his books slow, quite good middle and last third just tails off with not much to say but this story was interesting with some original idears and settings so happy read and will tackle second book moonwar soon.
EDIT: Finished 2012-04-19. Went between Kindle and iPod (mp3 audiobook) to fit this book into my schedule. I have older-version audiobook -- Dick Hill is an EXCELLENT performer, as noted below -- so this version of Moonrise works best. I just began the sequel, Moonwar, and the narrator (performer) is not as good (the extra engineering -- voice effects, see below -- is also absent).

Bova, because of his background, is noted to incorporate substantial real science into his stories and plots. I wish
Daniel Hamad
Feb 20, 2015 Daniel Hamad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If the mother didn't want to smack yourself after she makes the same mistake for the millionth time, the book would have gotten the 5th star.
Steven Brandt (Audiobook-Heaven)
I love how Moonrise starts out. Paul Stavenger is stranded on the moon with nothing but the spacesuit he’s wearing. He’s miles from the nearest base and has only his own two feet to get him there. His strength, not to mention his air supply, is limited. How did he get into this terrifying predicament? Paul’s internal dialogue tells us that he was a victim of sabotage, deceit, and attempted murder. And then the flashbacks begin.

And the entire story is told in this fashion. Through Paul’s flashb
Corenna Dopkowski
Although I did not think I would like this type of book, Ben Bova draws you into the story from the first page, and he does an excellent job. I could not put the book down. He is well educated on his subject and makes his readers feel well educated, too. I would even consider living on the moon if conditions were as Mr. Bova writes!
Jan 30, 2014 Olof rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like that it has several (almost) self contained stories. It strengthens the feeling of discovery and living on the frontier :) Not as good as his first Mars-book, but very good for a Ben Bova book!
Even though Moonrise had Stefan Rudnicki narrating and I really love his narration, I just wasn't interested in the story.
Craig Broadbent
Whilst I quie enjoyed the story I found the writing a little too simplistic a lot of the time. Too many inconsistencies that bugged me as I read through this novel. I'd recommend it though, as long as you are someone that can get over some annoying aspects of the story telling.
Aug 29, 2013 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Bova! Interesting if predictable characters, and a great story of sacrifice for advancement. I love how many of his stories fit together and create a universe that can stand on its own as both believable and attainable. Looking forward to the next book Moonwar.
Sep 03, 2014 Kris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would have already liked this book for all the reasons Ben Bova books generally appeal to me. The science fiction was convincing in such a way that inspires a person to think about the future, not merely get lost in the fantastic. However I love this book because the structure of this book was fascinating. The way the first part of the book starts at a climax with Paul Stavenger trekking across the moon trying to get to shelter before he dies of lack of oxygen or dehydration, while flashing ba ...more
The novel, which is part of the Grand Tour series, is about human exploration and colonization of the solar system. This novel is about the development of the moon. Two major corporations have set up bases on the moon - the Masterson Corporation and Yamagata Industries. This novel is about the Masterson Corporation and their Moonbase.

Moonbase is constantly in the red financially. Paul, then later Douglas, are trying to do everything in their power to prevent the base from being shut down. The b
For those of us who were just the right age when the first astronauts stepped onto the moon, who have never stopped being spellbound by the thought of setting foot on other worlds, who still believe humanity will make it to the stars . . . this book is for us.

Bova is at his best when describing the scientific and technological aspects of a lunar colony, such as nanotechnology and the very real dangers of living on an atmosphereless rock. But he can also wax poetic when describing the lunar lands
Dec 01, 2015 Nicola rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely well paced proper science fiction story. (Had read book 2 last year, so was great to fill in the first story)
Darrell Nelson
Aug 29, 2014 Darrell Nelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found it interesting, although some of the science was a bit dated. This was the first book I read of Bova's Grand Tour, I'll be reading the rest.
Nov 22, 2014 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Critical part of the Grant Tour, beyond Earth it's where the journey truly begins. A Moonbase evolves to become the first step in mankind becoming a second stage civlization; giving us the ability to survive and thrive no matter how bad politics or environment get on Earth.
Morgan Johnstone
This book started out really slow for me. It took me a few chapters to really get into what was going on. I love this storyline! From Paul escaping the nanobugs and then giving his life in ultimate sacrifice so that moonbase can go on! Then to Gregg and Doug. I highly recommend this book!
A story of vision, honor, family betrayals and politics set against the backdrop of the first moon base. The main protagonists are driven by their vision of expanding mans presence on the moon and making serious steps to get a real foothold off the earth. Of course, not everyone agrees with this, especially greedy corporations, political groups and right wing religious nut jobs known as the New Morality. There's also some dirty family secrets in the mix too.

A good fast paced story with reasonabl
Feb 07, 2016 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oct 05, 2016 kiml42 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
A bit too political for my tastes, but I enjoyed it.
Rowan Smith
Oct 18, 2016 Rowan Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great fun, and such a contrast from Mars. Parts of the book made me want to sit up in bed reading...reading equivalent of "on the edge of your seat" I suppose. Having now caught up to Mars's sequel I can continue reading these in order!
  • The Martian Race (Adventures of Viktor & Julia, #1)
  • The Infinite Sea (Chaos Chronicles, #3)
  • Voyage (NASA Trilogy, #1)
  • Moonfall
  • The Byworlder
  • Firestar (Firestar, #1)
  • Far Orbit: Speculative Space Adventures
  • Coyote (Coyote Trilogy, #1)
  • The Truth (Area 51, #7)
  • Up Against It
Ben Bova was born on November 8, 1932 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1953, while attending Temple University, he married Rosa Cucinotta, they had a son and a daughter. He would later divorce Rosa in 1974. In that same year he married Barbara Berson Rose.

Bova is an avid fencer and organized Avco Everett's fencing club. He is an environmentalist, but rejects Luddism.

Bova was a technical writer fo
More about Ben Bova...

Moonbase Saga (2 books)
  • Moonwar (Moonbase Saga, #2)