Unhinged (Splintered, #2)

Unhinged (Splintered #2)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  4,156 ratings  ·  959 reviews
Alyssa Gardner has been down the rabbit hole and faced the bandersnatch. She saved the life of Jeb, the guy she loves, and escaped the machinations of the disturbingly seductive Morpheus and the vindictive Queen Red. Now all she has to do is graduate high school and make it through prom so she can attend the prestigious art school in London she's always dreamed of.

That wo...more
Published January 7th 2014 by Amulet (first published December 17th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Unhinged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unhinged

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerIgnite Me by Tahereh MafiDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
YA Novels of 2014
27th out of 1,310 books — 6,348 voters
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Can't Wait Books of 2014
58th out of 2,510 books — 15,100 voters

More lists with this book...

A.G. Howard
Feb 22, 2014 A.G. Howard added it  ·  (Review from the author)
No rating from me since I gave birth to it. But I LOVES it and am grateful for all of the Splintered fans and readers! It's because of you that I got to continue the story!

That's all I can say for now. Except that Alyssa kicks bootie. And Chessie's there along with other Wonderlandians (the good, the bad, and the creepy). OH, and then there's Jeb and Morpheus ... *drools*.

That is all. :)

Stay tuned; I'll have an ARC request form for ENSNARED on my website once they're available, and I'll post th...more
Khanh (Kittens, Rainbows, and Sunshine)
Actual rating: 3.5
In a blink, his wings fully manifest and slice the smoky haze, peeling it back to reveal him in his true state: flawless, pale skin, masquerade-style patches curved like ivy beneath his eyes. The teardrop-shaped jewels flash bright and blinding through a rainbow of colors, so many moods they can’t be read.

His wings spread out behind him—at once intimidating and majestic.

It's Morpheus in the flesh.
Morpheus, you glorious motherfucker. LET ME LOVE YOU. Let me do unspeakable thing...more
Hannah
This book = FANGIRL DREAM COME TRUE!!!!!!!
This is my fangirly:

So I read this BOOK.
I HAVE NO words.
I hate and love A.G. at the same time.
The FEELS warring within.
This book is freaking Frabjous.
Kaloo-Kallay.

Apr 27, 2013 curious little beastie marked it as to-read
Shelves: covergasm
HOLY CRAP.

HOLY. CRAP.

Seeing reviews from people who've already gotten the chance to read this makes me want to burst out in sobs.

Update: OH MY GOD MORPHEUS COVER HOLY SHIT HOLY--

Booknut
'My heart falls into my feet.

Not even the familiar scents of paint, chalk dust, and plaster can comfort me when I see the scene taking shape: a Red Queen on a murderous rampage in a bleak and crumbling Wonderland.

Just like my most recent dreams...

I smooth the cloth back into place, unwilling to acknowledge what the imagery might mean.

It's easier to hide from it.'

Alyssa may have finished with Wonderland. But it hasn't finished with her.

When Alyssa chose the human world over Wonderland, she though...more
Brittany Daigle
I.AM.SUPER.EXCITED!!!MUST.HAVE.NOW!

haha

MORPHEUS IS ON THE COVER!!!!!!!FEELS FEELS AND MORE FEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jessi Larie

Let me just say this: I love Anita. LOVE. She’s one of the most awesome authors I’ve ever talked to! I enjoyed Splintered, but Unhinged was even better! And no, I’m not biased just because I like the author. The world is a deliciously macabre version of the original, and I was thrilled to dive back in!

I love Anita’s writing. She can paint the scenes in my head vividly and beautifully! The world building is one of my favorite parts of this series. The other is Morpheus.

Oh dear lord, how I love t...more
Angela (:
Edit #4: Unhinged ARCs! I need one so badly!! And do you see those cute buttons? :P

***

Edit #3: Look at these pretties!

The ink color's going to be different. :D I can't wait to see what color. I loved the purple!

***

Edit #2: MORE TEASERS!

(view spoiler)...more
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Mini Review:

I was really shocked with myself when I found myself not enjoying Unhinged. I practically devoured Splintered just a few months ago, so my change in tastes could not be the reason why I wanted to DNF this sequel. I know I've been writing my reviews in a dot-point format (which is probably suggesting that I'm falling into a review slump--thank god I have recently chosen two co-bloggers to help me) a lot lately however it seems the only conventiona...more
Liz*
Jul 18, 2013 Liz* marked it as to-read
Is it just me or...?

descriptiondescription

RPat meets The Hatter
Bethany Crandell
GENIUS. This book is nothing short of pure, fantastical GENIUS.

If SPLINTERED tickled your fancy, UNHINGED will send you into hysterics. Come January 2014, you better hold on to your hats, kids, cause you're in for a WILD ride!

(Being a crit partner has its privileges--don't hate me.)
Michelle (Much Loved Books)
This is how I feel about this book

photo HappyDance.gif

****Update 9th Jan 2014****

While I have been anticipating Unhinged and getting to read it, part of me was worried it wouldn't live up the hype and reach my expectations. I fell in love with Splintered, the world and the characters, and each time I fall head over heels in love with a book I always worry that the second one won't meet its predecessor's standards. I really did not think I would love Unhinged as much as I did, or even love it more than Splintered,...more
Namerah
May 12, 2013 Namerah marked it as to-read
I want this book SO BAD but...
THAT IS the UGLIEST COVER I HAVE EVER HAD THE MISFORTUNE TO SET MY EYES ON!!!!

Stephanie ♥Loves Adrian Ivashkov♥
Wow! Unhinged was so damn good! I'm really impressed by how much I ended up loving it. It's been so freaking long since I read Splintered. Almost one year and a half I think so it's been really nice to get back into this amazing world. I had to stop a few times, though, to read some books that were due for review but I finally finished it and let me just say that I can't wait until the third book is out. I need it now!

It's a little hard to form any coherent thoughts with the way Unhinged ended....more
Roxanne (Story Envy)
A sequel huh?

I just finished Splintered and was practically overwhelmed by it's magic and wonder (pun intended). So it stands to reason that, upon learning of its sequel, that I jumped up and down in a grand expression of pure joy and euphoria. Of course then I looked at the date... I really have to stop finding books that are a long ways away from being published.

But alas, I shall never follow my advice so long as not following it leads me to the path of amazing books! I just can't help it, I g...more
Teresa Mary Rose
More Reviews Here: Readers Live A Thousand Lives

This book. Oh my gosh this book! It was so so so good and such a worthy follow up to the awesome that was Splintered. I love love love this Alice in Wonderland retelling. From the world to the action to the characters, everything about it is just fantastic. There are so many twists and turns and I never see anything coming. I loved every single second of this book. I started reading it before bed one night and ended up staying up all night to finis...more
Julie
Apr 26, 2013 Julie marked it as to-read
description

Update:

OH MY GOD THE COVER HOLY CRAP SOMEONE HELP I'M ON THE GROUND

He is so beautiful. Can I haz? CAN I HAZ THE BOOK? OR MORPHEUS? I'LL TAKE EITHER.

Literally flipping out over this cover.

Must.... look.... at.... it.... forever....

*drools*
Natalia
“There’s something new behind his eyes—resolution—and I know I’ve just signed my soul away.”

4 stars

Well, I’ve been thinking about the rating all night …. Kidding, I was asleep, but maybe Morpheus visited my dreams to affect my final decision, because I was SO on the fence yesterday. Anyway, the wicked creature swayed me in his favor, because how could he not? Yes, he was definitely a showstopper and earned all the stars I gave to the book. Hell if I know how Alyssa can resist this guy.

Okay, l...more
Natalie Monroe

To say I'm disappointed is a bit of an understatement.

Splintered had its faults Jeb, but I really enjoyed it. The world-building was exquisite and delightfully imaginative so I was willing to overlook the multitude of faults Jeb it came with. Unhinged, on the other hand, takes all these annoyances, blows them up to the size of floats and shoves them in my face, hoping the existence of one two sexy males will be enough to cover them.

It doesn't.

First off, the plot. Unhinged picks up abou...more
Ashleigh
Read as digital ARC.

Do's and Don't's of Unhinged:

DO: Re-read Splintered. A lot of really awesome stuff happened in that book, and Unhinged will be better if you actually remember all of it.

DON'T: Don't expect a quick return-trip to Wonderland. (AKA: Do read the synopsis.) I was halfway through the book, still thinking, "But...When are we going to get to Wonderland???"

I love this series, it has a lot of logical nonsense. I said that the first book was kind of like returning to the Wonderland of t...more
Alyssa
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Unhinged by A.G. Howard
Book Two of the Splintered series
Publisher: Amulet Books
Publication Date: January 7, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Source: Hardcover copy won from a giveaway

Summary (from Goodreads):

The Cover Contessa
I have to thank Net Galley and Abrams for approving me to read this chapter sampler! As soon as I heard it was available, I ran over to the site to request it. AND I was lucky enough to have them say yes! AND I am lucky enough to have one of those really cool flip ARC thingies that they gave out at BEA. So it's like a double whammy of funness!
Oh what can I say about this chapter. Well, first I have to say, just one??? UGH! It's such a tease!
I loved it. I love getting this sneak peak into Morpheu...more
Demi
So I read Splintered a long time ago and nearly had an aneurysm from the entitled, possessive, prick of douche wad that is Jeb. Actually, it was from the fact that our supposed protagonist (and actual unreliable narrator) Alyssa glorified this abusive asshole and put him on a pedastle. Today I thought, hey, maybe the sequel won't be so bad? Maybe Alyssa will own up to the fact that she is in an incredibly unhealthy relationship and will actually do something to serve the plot?

WRONG WRONG WRONG W...more
Jasna

When I finished Splintered I was desperate for more of Howard’s Wonderland and its creepy residents. Her writing is immensely visual, she brings to life every scene in my head in a way very few books can. So I was absolutely thrilled to receive an advance copy of Unhinged.

What I Loved:
- Morpheus, of course, and what was revealed about the future. His character is everything that is weird, strange, dark and tempting about Wonderland. He really does make this book, for me. I loved him even more...more
Hannah
This book packed all the feels into one big long train ride of awesomeness. If you haven't read Splintered, do so now, as to prepare yourself.

This was just perfection.

WHAT DID I THINK GOODREADS???? I WILL TELL YOU WHAT I THOUGHT!

How Hannah Came To Read Unhinged (an unofficial review until she can make coherent thoughts again).

Seeing Unhinged on Netgalley:

Waiting To Be Approved for Unhinged on Netgalley:

Finding Out You've Been Approved for Unhinged on Netgalley:

Alyssa and Jeb! OMG

Morpheus! OMG

Thi...more
Jess
✰Actual Rating: 3.8✰

Don’t curse me. I know. The rule is half and wholes but, here’s the thing:

I’m having an inner conflict. I call it, Morpheus V. the Rest.

Let’s disclaimer this, once and for all. The story remains achingly intriguing. The love triangle? Not so much. It’s fun and games for the winning side and all, but let me tell you what’s out there, behind the glamoured fence of happiness. A fucking realm of broken dreams, that’s what is.

I’m being dramatic, but you know what, with my sh...more
Steph Sinclair
I thought things ended nicely in the first one. I wonder what this one could be about?
Katie
EDIT 5/14/13: look at that synopsis! Morpheus! in the real world?

[image error]

ok so I'm officially dying to read this book! I loved A. G. Howard's version of wonderland and I can't wait to see more if it! and hopefully more of chessie(but in one piece!) and Morpheus. and in case you haven't noticed I'm diehard team Morpheus but I do like Jeb too(which is very hard to make me like both in a love triangle!!) so I would like to see some more action with both. I also hope Alyssa will embrace her da...more
Kristen
Actual rating 4.5

A copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

This and other reviews can be found on my blog My Friends Are Fiction

My Thoughts:
When I finished Splintered I was desperate for more of Howard’s Wonderland and its creepy residents. The moment the sequel was announced I knew I’d be reading it as soon as possible. When I laid eyes on the Unhinged cover and saw that Morpheus was prominent I was ecstatic since he is my favorite character in the first book. Thank...more
Liwayway
Amazing how each little detail of Alyssa's story is the product of a much richer, madder Wonderland history. "Unhinged" takes place in an in-between state between Wonderland, so artfully and maniacally crafted in "Splintered", and the regular World of Alyssa's other half. The entire story seems to reflect both her human and netherling sides. She's torn in way too many ways, enough to make anyone go crazy, and the tasks ahead of her are as unreal as if she was still in Wonderland.

Even her love fo...more
Splintered Fan Club : Author Signing this weekend 31 44 4 hours, 2 min ago
Splintered Fan Club : UNHINGED ENDING (Major spoilers) 46 146 Aug 21, 2014 10:22AM
Unhinged 36 70 Aug 08, 2014 11:46PM
Splintered Fan Club : UNHINGED Reviews 12 80 Jul 19, 2014 07:11PM
Morpheus Angel or Devil ? 6 60 Jun 26, 2014 05:59PM
Splintered Fan Club : I'll be attending BEA (Book Expo of America) 2104! 9 26 Jun 10, 2014 09:08AM
  • Lady Thief (Scarlet, #2)
  • Wings (Black City, #3)
  • The Unbound (The Archived, #2)
  • The Glass Casket
  • Between the Spark and the Burn (Between, #2)
  • Prophecy of Oz (Prophecy of Oz, #1)
  • Her Dark Curiosity (The Madman's Daughter, #2)
  • Stray
  • Infinite (Newsoul, #3)
  • Erased (Altered, #2)
  • House of Ivy & Sorrow
  • The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2)
  • Top Ten Clues You're Clueless
  • Trail of Shadows and Blood (A Tale So Dark & Grimm, #1)
  • Gilded Ashes (Cruel Beauty Universe)
  • Strange and Ever After (Something Strange and Deadly, #3)
  • Fragile Spirits (Souls, #2)
  • The Queen of Zombie Hearts (The White Rabbit Chronicles, #3)
A.G. Howard was inspired to write SPLINTERED while working at a school library. Her pastimes are reading, rollerblading, gardening, and family vacations which often include impromptu side trips to 18th century graveyards or condemned schoolhouses to appease her overactive muse.

SPLINTERED & UNHINGED, books 1 & 2 of her urbanized /gothic Alice in Wonderland series, are now available from Amu...more
More about A.G. Howard...
Splintered (Splintered, #1) The Moth in the Mirror (Splintered, #1.5) Ensnared (Splintered, #3) Slasher Girls & Monster Boys

“Of all the times you've undressed me in my fantasies, I never remember feeling this... unfulfilled."

"Please, Morpheus," I beg upon hearing Jeb stir in the background.

"Ah, but those delectable words," Morpheus says with a provocative smirk, "those are always in the fantasy."

I glare at him. "You're unbelievable."

"And that sentiment is reserved for the end.”
61 likes
“All I have to do is set the power free. Escape the chains of humanity, let madness be my guide. If I forget everything but Wonderland, I can become beautiful pandemonium. 36 likes