Start by marking “The Mail-Order Bride” as Want to Read:
The Mail-Order Bride

The Mail-Order Bride

Prize Winning Story - Clean Romance!

It was to be the big day for Eli. His fiancée, Molly, was coming in on a ship. Two years earlier, unable to find work in England, he had headed for America. His ship was caught in a storm, and he ended up, not in Pennsylvania as he planned, but in Newfoundland.
But that was all behind him now. He had written to Molly every day for the t
Published February 26th 2013 by Publishing Inspiration (first published February 23rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Mail-Order Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mail-Order Bride

Number 13 by M.G. WellsAngelfall by Susan EeSlumber by Samantha YoungRise of the Drakyn by Leonard LittleTHE BIRTHDAY CARD by Sahara Foley
Kindle Books for 99 cents
75th out of 192 books — 230 voters
Porter by David   MichaelFilthy Desire by Sebastian ExGabriel's Inferno by Sylvain ReynardGabriel's Rapture by Sylvain ReynardThe Syrian Virgin by Zack Love
Romances written by men
106th out of 204 books — 186 voters

More lists with this book...

Aurora
Jun 18, 2013 Aurora rated it liked it
Shelves: the-g-series
Name of Book: The Mail-Order Bride

Author: Daris Howard

ISBN: 9781480200388

Publisher: Publishing Inspiration

Type of book: christian, Canada, mail order bride, friendship, romance, marriage, love, christian messages and themes

Year it was published: 2013

Summary:

Jane Geddis
Jun 01, 2013 Jane Geddis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
The more things change the more they stay the same. So exchanged for a plot from contemporary times this would play out that a guy gets a date with a girl who he is really really attracted to, but who is a little out of his league, and a little narcissistic. She says yes but brings a less attractive friend to dinner. Leaving halfway through, guy gets stuck with girl's friend. Finds out it's not all about looks and falls in love with the substitute date original girl brought to dinner. This all ...more
Claire
Apr 18, 2013 Claire rated it it was ok
I got this free from Amazon.

This book was quite long. I found that I started skimming when I got about half way through the book. The author is most descriptive about the layout of the land, which I usually skim over with every book. She also added in some back story with some characters.
The character development was pretty good. I found that I was able to understand and know the main characters well. I'm glad the reader was able to get to know Jim and I found his character to be very likable.
R. Dewitt
Jul 11, 2014 R. Dewitt rated it really liked it
I love that the book was a "Clean Read". The story line focused on learning to love and forgiving those around you. There are no sex scenes or heavy touching. There may be one or two sweet kisses, but that is all. This is a "find your own worth" book. Eli wants to prove to Anya that she is worth more than one dollar. It is worth a read and the only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is because of the time period. In the very first few pages we learn that it is based in the 1920's, but I think ...more
Faith
Throughout the entire book, I was clueless about what time period this book was in. Sometimes it felt like it was set in the late 1800s, and sometimes it was much too modern for that. No, there were no cars, but some of the dialogue seemed like it was possibly set in the mid to late 1900s. Finally about 3/4ths of the way through, I found out it is probably set in the 1920s or so. This problem and other plot holes left me feeling bereft of a great story.
Betty
Apr 21, 2013 Betty rated it it was amazing
I love the idea of 'mail order brides' and had to get this book for title alone. I was expecting the normal mail order book format but was pleasantly surprised that this one was different. There is a depth to the writing and it has a very moral message to share with the reader. It was a very pleasant and enjoyable read.
Emmeline
Apr 04, 2013 Emmeline rated it it was ok
Well, good and bad (did they use the word 'dating' in this time period?), but overall never really felt attached to the characters, like I think I liked Old Jim better than the two main characters. Fun story idea, though.
Apr 16, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
It was a slow read, very clean romance though that was appreciated. I thought it would have been better if it hadn't taken so long for the marriage, and gave some insight in to their new lives together.
Brooke -Brooke's Books
Jun 11, 2013 Brooke -Brooke's Books rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

I got this as a free e-book. I really enjoyed it. I liked the characters. I liked the backdrop. I liked the tenderness in the relationships. This is a sweet, clean read.
Shelly
Mar 28, 2013 Shelly rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
The setting and differences between the characters were interesting. I was put off by the style somewhat.
Judie
Judie rated it liked it
May 03, 2013
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2013
brownvictoryaol.com
brownvictoryaol.com rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Genie Gi
Genie Gi rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2013
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2015
Hobiescat
Hobiescat rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2014
SamZ
Apr 21, 2013 SamZ rated it it was ok
I liked the premise and the idea, but the characters just fell flat.
Megan Geist
Megan Geist rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Maryk Adams
Maryk Adams rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Trisa
Trisa rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2014
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2013
Katrina
Katrina rated it it was ok
Sep 13, 2014
Sherilyn
Sherilyn rated it liked it
May 12, 2014
Casey Lawrence
Casey Lawrence rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2013
Bridgett
Bridgett rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2014
Mary Rintoul
Mary Rintoul rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Kathy Tomcik
Kathy Tomcik rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2014
Dana
Dana rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2013
Goodreads Authors...: Publishing Inspiration - The Mail-Order Bride 1 8 Mar 02, 2013 12:20PM
Clean Romances: New, clean romance 1 20 Mar 01, 2013 08:29PM
  • Ducks in a Row
  • The Lie (Skyy Huntington, #1)
  • Amberly
  • Fighting Gravity (Physics of Falling, #1)
  • Lara's Gift
  • Rekindled Flame
  • Through a Glass (Through A Glass #1)
  • Cowboy's Bride
  • My Double Life: Wild and Wicked
  • Sautee Shadows (Georgia Gold, #1)
  • With Cruel Intent
  • Bet You'll Marry Me
  • A Cowboy at Heart (The Amish of Apple Grove, #3)
  • A Father for Her Triplets & Her Pregnancy Surprise
  • A Texas-Made Match
  • What I Love About You, Mom
  • Broken Road
  • A Heart Broken (An Everlasting Heart #2)
Daris Howard, an award winning author and playwright, grew up on an Idaho farm. He was a state champion athlete, competed in college athletics, and lived for a time in New York.
He has worked as a cowboy, a mechanic, in farming, and in the timber industry. He is now a college professor. He has also been a scoutmaster, having up to 18 boys in his scout troop at a time. In his wide range of experi
More about Daris Howard...