Start by marking “Beginning of a Hero (Legends of Windemere, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beginning of a Hero (Legends of Windemere, #1)

Beginning of a Hero (Legends of Windemere #1)

Every hero must take the first courageous step into adventure. For Luke Callindor, it’s more of a blind stumble.

Depending more on bravery than common sense, Luke sets out to protect a royal heir who is attending the prestigious Hamilton Military Academy. With a demonic assassin in the shadows, the determined warrior will have to think on his feet to defend his charge. If o
Published February 24th 2013 by Createspace (first published March 1st 2006)

Bookwraiths
Nov 16, 2015 Bookwraiths rated it liked it
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

Beginning of a Hero (Legends of Windemere Book 1) is a fantasy I stumbled on over at the amazon kindle store. While I was somewhat familiar with the indie author, Charles E. Yallowitz, (having enjoyed his personal blog for a few months) I’m ashamed to admit that I never found time to actually try any of his novels. Well, thankfully, I finally made some time, and I’m glad that I did, because this is a great beginning to a promising YA fantasy series.

The
Ionia
Dec 26, 2014 Ionia rated it it was amazing
It has been a long time since I found an opener for a fantasy series that was better than some of the big names in this genre. Dare I say that Piers Anthony, Anne McCaffrey and David Eddings may have some competition in the works? I think so. Charles Yallowitz is one of the most talented new voices I have seen hit the fantasy market in recent memory.

Charles Yallowitz clearly has the required imagination to write a top notch fantasy novel. He has an excellent grasp of the elements that all good
S.K. Nicholls
Jul 18, 2013 S.K. Nicholls rated it it was amazing
The “Beginning of a Hero” presents the compelling and intriguing story arc of the Legends of Windemere series. The Prologue of this book was shocking to me. I don’t often read fantasy but love fantasy movies. It was gripping and horrific. I almost had to set the book down because I had a very visceral reaction to the brutality. I knew right away that this was not simple “Hobbit” fiction. It is set in centuries past, in another world, where the undead and the living are vested with magical ...more
Papi Z.
Apr 05, 2013 Papi Z. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed it, first page until the end. Luke Callindor is a believable Hero, a character you can get behind and have your fingers crossed while he is experiencing all of the big moments in the book. Will he succeed? Will his mission be found out? Will he be flayed alive and fail? Will he turn tail and run? These are questions you have from the beginning, and you get the chance to learn and grow into the role of Hero along with Luke. The supporting characters are fleshed out nicely as well. I ...more
Ty Roper
Apr 10, 2013 Ty Roper rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I thoroughly enjoyed "Beginning of a Hero (Legends of Windemere)". This fantasy action novel engaged me from the beginning of the book, and maintained great action scenes throughout. I didn't do any reading skip-overs like I've done with other books, because the author provides good description without wordiness. I think adult and young adult readers will enjoy the book. I'm certainly interested in the next book. I appreciated the author creating a believable fantasy world, and delivering an ...more
Sue Vincent
Dec 15, 2013 Sue Vincent rated it it was amazing
As soon as you pick up one of Charles Yallowitz' books you are in another world. The immediacy of the present tense grabs you and you are swept away by the story.

Just for starters the various races take you by surprise with some unusual behaviours... if you think elves are all sweetness and light, think again. You wouldn't want to meet one in a dark alley ... or then again, you might...

The world Charles has created is completely believable; the unusual use of the present tense sucks you into the
Briana Vedsted
Jul 13, 2013 Briana Vedsted rated it it was amazing
*SPOILERS!*
In a world of magic and monsters, young Luke Callindor longs for an adventure and when an opportunity so appealing practically lands in his lap, he doesn't hesitate at the opportunity to take it, even though it costs him a few beatings and the heart-wrenching loss of his best friend. He arrives at the Hamilton Military Academy where he makes a few friends while he searches for the Duke's heir, who turns out to be the most unlikely candidate.
I really enjoyed this book because I felt li
Danielle Taylor
Mar 22, 2013 Danielle Taylor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books-i-own
First, let me say that my reviews usually contain spoilers, so on that note, I'll do my best to keep this spoiler-less. Beginning of a Hero (Legends of Windemere)was, and I'm not being funny, but a fantasy of epic proportions. I actually got so lost in the story that I had to set a timer so I wouldn't read through 'til night time.
A few things I thoroughly enjoyed:
-Stiletto. Nuff said!
-Fizzle and his speech
-Each time Luke said, "That was unexpected," I laughed so hard!
-The depth of characters' re
Ashley Newman
Jul 08, 2013 Ashley Newman rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what I was looking for while scanning through Amazon but I never imagined the wonderful journey this story took me on. The story is so detailed that I felt like I was literally in Windemere with Luke. Characters so likeable, enjoyable as well as some uniquely creepy ones. I enjoyed the present tense writing style, it made it feel like I was battling along side Luke instead of just reading what happened after the fact. I would and have recommended this to friends. I can't wait for ...more
Rosie Amber
May 29, 2013 Rosie Amber rated it it was amazing
Windemere; every time I read this word I thought of the Lake District in the UK. (I know the spelling differs)The book evolves to be full of legends, magic, heros, demons and destiny. Images of Middle Earth came to mind and a Hobbit or two would have fitted easily in to this cleverly woven tale full of imaginative description. It easily stands alone as a well written novel of magical adventure. I really enjoyed reading this book.
Zombiephreak
Mar 21, 2013 Zombiephreak rated it really liked it
I haven't read many fantasy novels for a while, mostly I've been into Sci-Fi, so this was a nice return to the genre for me after my long hiatus!

First of all I want to point out the cover. The cover has a young evilsh boy with a dog that looks like a German Shepherd and they are in a forest, and the boy has two swords strapped to his hips. It's a very simple cover and it does it's job well. It makes the reader want to find out more about who this boy is and who his furry companion is.

***SPOILERS
Feb 05, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
I downloaded this eBook for free on Amazon awhile back.

The story is about Luke Callindor, a young forest tracker, who is trying to establish his place in the world. He yearns to be known for more than his name, having come from a lineage of warriors, so he sets off looking for adventure. Having little success, he comes across a messenger of Duke Solomon. The messenger is in need of a protector to the heir to the throne as their life has been threatened. Exaggerating his skills and triumphs, Luke
Eva
Mar 05, 2014 Eva rated it really liked it
Luke Callindor is a young forest tracker who comes from a long line of honored warriors. He leaves his home at 17, with his trusted dog and companion, Stiletto, to make a name for himself based on his own merits and not his family name. In his travels, he walks into a zombie attack of a Paladin guarding the Hamilton Military Academy and another man, who happens to be the messenger of a royal: Duke Solomon. Luke kills the evil, undead monsters but the Paladin was killed in the attack. The ...more
C.N. Faust
Jul 14, 2013 C.N. Faust rated it really liked it
Beginning of a Hero is a compelling first novel that is an excellent introduction into its series. The story jumps headfirst into the action, not allowing itself to get tripped up on tiny details. It keeps an even pace throughout. Though I felt the beginning was a trifle slow, and it took a while for me to get into it. Once I had gotten through the first few pages, however, it was a smooth ride.

One of the things that won me over was the bouts of humor. Especially in the beginning. "This is not p
K.J. Simmill
Nov 28, 2015 K.J. Simmill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first thing that struck me about this book was that it was written in a tense that I don’t normally see. That’s not to say there aren’t books out there written in the present tense, it’s just I don’t recall coming across one. I will be completely truthful and say the tense took some getting used to for me, meaning it took me longer to get into the book than normal. That however does not in any way state it was a bad story or poorly written, quite the contrary.
The story itself follows the pro
Saunved
May 27, 2013 Saunved rated it it was amazing
Charles E Yallowitz’ book “Legends of Windemere: Beginning of a Hero is one hell of a ride down fantasy lane. The book begins slowly, and picks up pace as you move along. Unlike most of the other books, this book entertains you more in the middle and keeps you engaged throughout. There are times when you don’t want to let go of the book and your eyes keep absorbing every word, trying to take in everything!

This book, I think has given a completely different perspective to fantasy writing. The cha
Chris The Story Reading Ape
Having read and enjoyed a short story, 'Ichabod Brooks & the City of Beasts' by this author, I looked forward to reading this, the first book of his series about 'The Legends of Windemere'.
I was not disappointed and found myself very quickly drawn into the world of Windemere with its myriad of characters, creatures and magic types I'd not read about elsewhere.
The Hero is a half-elf which makes a pleasing change from humans; and his friends are unusual when I think of their usual relationship
Sven
May 26, 2013 Sven rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I can hardly believe how much I liked this book. When I sat down and began to read and realized Beginning Of A Hero was written in 3rd person omniscient present tense my reaction was..."For the love of god why?!"

But as I read on I began to realize why. This book successfully captures the spirit of a great action movie and perfectly instills it into a fantasy book.

With quirky dialogue, situational humor, and extremely entertaining characters Mr. Yallowitz takes Fantasy and RPG conventions and add
Mark D
Oct 25, 2013 Mark D rated it really liked it
Read this a while back, just starting the 2nd book now in time for the release of the third book which is due out soon.

This was a fun read. The MC Luke is looking to make a name for himself and coming from a long line of adventurers - that's a tough shadow to get out of.

But hey, he's a duel-wielding half-elf, in my books he's already a bad ass! But anyways, he's sent on a mission to protect an heir of the Duke. To do this he has to find him or her at a kind of Battle Academy (I always love books
Andypants
Aug 14, 2013 Andypants rated it really liked it
Shelves: rpg-fantasy
Kevin Cooper
Nov 16, 2015 Kevin Cooper rated it it was amazing
It's been a while since I genuinely enjoyed reading this kind of fantasy. Yallowitz is a true credit to this genre and I will most certainly be following up this incredible series.

There is a wonderful variety of creatures... half-elves, dwarves, drites, undead... too many to list here. Yet, at the same time, very good character development among them.

The story grabs you from the very beginning and cleverly draws you in with a great mixture of suspense, adventure, danger, magic, humour, action, a
Helen Valentina
Aug 13, 2013 Helen Valentina rated it it was amazing
What a fabulous start to what will undoubtedly become a classic series in the fantasy genre. I came to Charles' book via his entertaining and very generous blog and am very glad I did. I'm not generally a fantasy reader, but Charles' book is so fun and so new in its approach I was instantly drawn in. I love the way he described and developed his hero in making/training and the very immediate style of his writing. I dipped in and out of his book over some weeks and it was a wonderful escape from ...more
Tuan Ho
Aug 13, 2013 Tuan Ho rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. There's this little dragon dude named Fizzle who is cute and very endearing (x1000).

Then there's a priest, a gnome, some character named Nimby and our main hero. The interplay between them is funny and always a joy to read.

And lastly, there's a lot of action. The last two-thirds have a ton of fighting and conflict that the author does magnificently. It's one of those books that starts off slow and just snowballs until you find yourself thinking: "I'm really loving this book
Tracy
Apr 15, 2013 Tracy rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book and it left me wanting to read more. The characters are diverse with strengths and flaws, and they grow as the book continues. I don't want to spoil the book, but I loved Stiletto (the dog on the cover) and Fizzle (gotta read the book to explain that ;P). A great read, well-balanced between description and dialogue, with plenty of parts that had me cringing or laughing with the characters. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Kristin Jones
May 20, 2013 Kristin Jones rated it it was amazing
I greatly enjoyed the vivid characters, the gripping plot, and the refreshingly unique writing style (present tense). For all the things we love about fantasy, for the ways it allows us to not only escape, but to imagine life's possibilities– for these reasons I say this book is well worth a read. Fantasy fans will not be disappointed. A new saga favorite emerges.
Julian Froment
May 27, 2013 Julian Froment rated it it was amazing
A fantastic start to the 'Legends of Windemere' series, 'Beginning of a Hero' is a delight to read. It is a long time since I have read new fantasy that I have enjoyed as much. The characters are believable and interesting. This was a real page turner as I was always eager to find out what happened next.

I thoroughly recommend this and I am waiting in anticipation for the sequel(s)
Marie
Feb 23, 2014 Marie rated it really liked it
First, I must offer full disclosure. I am not a reader of fantasy. In my lifetime, I might have read one or two books (not counting Beginning of a Hero) that are considered fantasy. So why did I pick this one up? Well, I learned about Beginning of a Hero (and more specifically, The Legends of Windemere series) by reading Yallowitz’s blog. If you’ve never read fantasy fiction, but you’re curious, you’re game to try something new, and yet still hesitant to download his book, then visit his blog at ...more
Emmy Kuipers
Jun 20, 2013 Emmy Kuipers rated it liked it
Set in a vast world that has its origins in roleplaying, young Luke Callindor sets out on his journey to carve a name for himself as a hero. Born into a famous family, he is determined to find his own fame and fortune and not lean on his family’s credentials.

For those who are familiar with roleplaying games and their fantasy world of high magic and adventure, this story takes you immediately into a world where heroes come in the shape of humans, dwarves, elves, gnomes and halflings and where som
Kerry Reis
Oct 22, 2015 Kerry Reis rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-version
Young half-elf Luke Callindor is a forest tracker in search of a major adventure to prove he is worthy of his grandfather’s name, a legendary hero known throughout the world of Windemere. Luke winds up saving a messenger from a horde of zombies which had just killed a paladin warrior, the recipient of the important assignment the messenger was delivering. Luke sees the chance for his adventure by convincing the messenger that he can take on the assignment of protecting Duke Solomon’s heir, a ...more
Karen
Jul 27, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
The book introduces you to Luke Callindor, a young forest tracker on his quest to become a hero. He wants to be respected for his achievements, not only for his family name. He seizes the opportunity to protect Duke Solomon’s heir from evil – a task which is not as easy as it seemed. It is a story of believing in one’s abilities, finding out who to trust and cooperate with, and to survive.

With Beginning of a Hero, Charles E. Yallowitz has created a compelling fantasy story of enduring in Windem
What do you want in a sequel? 2 10 Jul 23, 2013 05:58AM
  • Provenance (Spellscribed #1)
  • The Healing Spring (The Inner Seas Kingdom, #1)
  • Bastial Energy (The Rhythm of Rivalry, #1)
  • Hard Luck (Saga of Menyoral, #1)
  • Honor Bound (The Spare Heir, #1)
  • Whill of Agora (Whill of Agora, #1)
  • Nature Mage (Nature Mage, #1)
  • Living With Your Past Selves
  • The Necromancer's Nephew (Songreaver's Tale, #1)
  • Catalyst (The Passage of Hellsfire, #1)
  • Mind Forged (Enchanters of Xarparion, #1)
  • Wielder's Awakening (Wielder, #1)
  • Rebel Elements (Seals of the Duelists, #1)
  • Attrition: the First Act of Penance (Three Acts of Penance, #1)
  • King of Ashes (The Longsword Chronicles, #1)
  • Son of Soron (Stoneblood Saga Book 1)
  • Accidental Sorcerers (Accidental Sorcerers, #1)
  • Eye of the Moonrat (The Bowl of Souls, #1)
Charles E. Yallowitz was born, raised, and educated in New York. Then he spent a few years in Florida, realized his fear of alligators, and moved back to the Empire State. When he isn't working hard on his epic fantasy stories, Charles can be found cooking or going on whatever adventure his son has planned for the day. 'Legends of Windemere' is his first series, but it certainly won't be his last.
More about Charles E. Yallowitz...

Legends of Windemere (10 books)
  • Prodigy of Rainbow Tower (Legends of Windemere, #2)
  • Allure of the Gypsies (Legends of Windemere, #3)
  • Legends of Windemere Fantasy Series Bundle, #1
  • Family of the Tri-Rune (Legends of Windemere, #4)
  • The Compass Key (Legends of Windemere, #5)
  • Curse of the Dark Wind (Legends of Windemere, #6)
  • Sleeper of the Wildwood Fugue (Legends of Windemere, #7)
  • The Merchant of Nevra Coil (Legends of Windemere, #8)
  • The Mercenary Prince (Legends of Windemere, #9)