Start by marking “Living in the Land of Enough” as Want to Read:
Living in the Land of Enough

Living in the Land of Enough

Published December 6th 2011 by Courtney Carver

To ask other readers questions about Living in the Land of Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living in the Land of Enough

Jackee
I have become enthralled with the idea of a simple life and of having peaceful gratitude for what one has. This is not a new philosophy, I realize. I just enjoy reading how others interpret such a life.
Stephen Bell
May 09, 2013 Stephen Bell rated it did not like it
I felt a review had to accompany the embarrassment of adding Carvers's book to my reading list.

Having a hypocritical interest in the philosophy of minimalism, I came across this short essay on the art of living with less. After a bright start which lasted maybe 3 to 4 pages, I was taken along for a excruciating, dull, narcissistic essay about how to live in the land of enough (a metaphor for giving up all our materialistic comforts and living a pure life, free from desire and greed. Yum-yum.).
Hope
Jan 02, 2015 Hope rated it really liked it
Really more like 3.5 stars. Some good ideas and suggested readings here, but the book is really brief. More like a manifesto than a memoir. I did, however, love the first several pages with the author's "land of enough" idea. I would love a series of essays on that theme--what does it mean to live "with enough" instead of channeling emotions via spending?
Gina
Oct 21, 2016 Gina rated it liked it
If you have read Courtney Carver's blog, Be More with Less, I don't know that you'll find anything in this book that you can't find on the blog for free. However, I like that it's a nice compilation of simple ideas and actions -- both short-term and long-term -- that anyone can tackle now.

I bought the Kindle edition (is there another option) of this book for $0.99, so it's tough to argue with that price. Courtney offers so much free content on her blog (NB: even the paid content is reasonably-p
Polina
Apr 18, 2013 Polina rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Read it to do a bit of an attitude reset after a huge 3 week long shopping spree (post Xmas sales!) and I couldn't agree more with everything she is saying but I am still buying lots haha! I am still looking for a book/paradigm that would really shift my mindset towards less buying but for now I have failed to find one and tend to spend everything I earn. Oh well, maybe it is not a change of attitude I need but a goal worthy of saving for.
Millie
Sep 26, 2015 Millie rated it liked it
Shelves: misc-nonfiction
This a short read, and a really good intro into simple living. I recommend it to anyone looking for some "beginner's advice". If you've already read blogs or books on the topic of simply living, it might not be a book you can gain much from reading.

I got this book for 97p on th Kindle, so it's a bargain if you want to try it!
Renae
Nov 27, 2014 Renae rated it really liked it
The land of enough ...

While some of the suggestions she made wouldn't work in my life due to my profession, she still had really wonderful ideas. I especially liked the idea of making 4 separate piles for the clothes in your closet. I can see how that would allow you to whittle down the ones that are in questionable shape or just not your style anymore.
Colin Price
More of a manifesto than a book, but still having some good insights and practical suggestions. If this had been one of my students though, I probably would have commented on the lack of details, examples or evidence.
Kelli
Aug 11, 2014 Kelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: not-fiction
Short, concise read on minor changes that can have a large impact on quality of life. Practical thoughts about the benefits of decluttering, unplugging, and simplifying. A compelling argument to live with less and enjoy life more.
Dennis Vander Houwen
May 02, 2016 Dennis Vander Houwen rated it it was amazing
Straight and to the point

Courtney never let's me down. I have been following her blog for a while now and this book goes to the heart of finding an easier approach to downsizing not just the physical things in our lives but the psychological
"stuff" as well.
Frank
Apr 18, 2013 Frank rated it it was amazing
Carver offers a short inspirational guide to living with enough, and hits a home run. The book doesn't offer clear cut guidelines, but that's part of the point. Enough won't be the same for everyone, nor should it be.
Darla
Solid, practical ideas for simplifying all areas of your life & good direct internet links are embedded in this ebook. Carver's style is much closer to Becker's than Jay. Thank goodness!
Roseanne
Aug 05, 2013 Roseanne rated it liked it
Quick and thoughtful read. Is it Shakespeare? No. But it is a great little book to remind you that all you have is all you need :-)
Lo
Aug 29, 2015 Lo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Simpatico ma ripetitivo. Alla fine bisogna tagliare le distrazioni come TV e social network per riappropriarsi del proprio tempo.
Jeanne Hansen
Nov 22, 2013 Jeanne Hansen rated it did not like it
This book is very repetitive and does not offer much substance. A better choice is Simplify by Joshua Becker.
Jodi
Oct 07, 2014 Jodi rated it it was amazing
Excellent

Very succinct and relatable. Realistic suggestions. Hopeful and optimistic. Targets day to day challenges, and gives examples of how to make lifestyle changes.
Marcy
Marcy rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Scooby
Scooby rated it it was ok
Aug 31, 2016
Kerri Millett
Kerri Millett rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2015
April
April rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Stephanie Hallam
Stephanie Hallam rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Aneesha
Aneesha rated it it was ok
Mary Tanner
Mary Tanner rated it it was ok
Jun 21, 2015
Nic
Nic rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Ellie
Ellie rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2014
Teri
Teri rated it it was ok
Sep 02, 2015
Emmy
Emmy rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2014
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was amazing
Alana
Alana rated it it was ok
Nov 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Minimalist Woman's Guide to Having It All
  • Miss Minimalist: Inspiration to Downsize, Declutter, and Simplify
  • Simplify Your Life: Get Organized and Stay That Way
  • Simplify: 7 Guiding Principles to Help Anyone Declutter Their Home and Life
  • You Can Buy Happiness (and It's Cheap): How One Woman Radically Simplified Her Life and How You Can Too
  • The Effortless Life: A Manual for Contentment, Mindfulness, & Flow
  • Make Money, Not Excuses: Wake Up, Take Charge, and Overcome Your Financial Fears Forever
  • Choosing Simplicity: Real People Finding Peace and Fulfillment in a Complex World
  • Return: Four Phases of our Mortal Journey Home
  • The Power to Prosper: 21 Days to Financial Freedom
  • In the Heart of the World: Thoughts, Stories and Prayers
  • Ghosty Men: The Strange but True Story of the Collyer Brothers, New York's Greatest Hoarders: An Urban Historical
  • Simplicity: Essays
  • Simpler Living: Over 1,500 Ways to Simplify, Streamline, and Remake Your Life
  • What's Your Secret?: Freedom through Confession
  • IBS - Free at Last!
  • Level Up Your Day: How to Maximize the 6 Essential Areas of Your Daily Routine
  • Untitled
5209658
My name is Courtney Carver and I am an aspiring minimalist. I am (so happily) married, and mom to a teenage daughter, and I am making big (and small) changes to live my life on purpose. I am a writer and photographer. I love yoga, reading, creating simple meals and hiking and skiing in the Mountainwest. I also love to travel and have my sights on a future in Mexico, living simply, on the beach.

In
More about Courtney Carver...