Start by marking “The Dog King (The Human Division, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Dog King (The Human Division, #7)

The Dog King (The Human Division #7)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  1,261 ratings  ·  80 reviews
CDF Lieutenant Harry Wilson has one simple task: Watch an ambassador’s dog while the diplomat is conducting sensitive negotiations with an alien race. But you know dogs - always getting into something. And when this dog gets into something that could launch an alien civil war, Wilson has to find a way to solve the conflict, fast, or be the one in the Colonial Union’s dogho...more
Audiobook, Audible, Unabridged
Published February 26th 2013 by Audible Frontiers

To ask other readers questions about The Dog King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dog King

Jon
7th episode of The Human Division delivered the laughs and the goods. Wilson rescues Tuffy, a Lhasa apso, who in turn saves the day and the diplomatic mission in true canine selfless fashion.
Alex Lewis
This was a hard one to come up with a rating for;

I like this project a lot. I like the characters and the episodic nature

But this felt like a filler episode. It was cutesy and as far as I can tell didn't have a ton of impact on the greater plot.

I feel like if I were reading this as a completed paperback instead of a digital serial, this chapter would have left me scratching my head as to its necessity.

But maybe waverly will stick around and it'll be important that she doesn't like Wilson. Ma...more
Ron
Cute, but barely four stars. The usual Scalzi fun, but didn't seem to advance the greater story arch.

(view spoiler)

Like buttered pop corn--not necessarily good for you, but nice.
Robert Aldrich
Better than the last few episodes, in my opinion. I really like Harry as a PoV character and would read entire novels with him as the central character.

My last few ratings for these episodes had fallen due to how I felt that the episodes were too self-contained for me to really get into in book format. While not different from television shows or even short stories, I just was not as satisfied.

I think there needs to be a bit more editing. There were a few parts that looked to me to see slightly...more
Art
This installment was the comedic relief chapter after three rough and ready installments. Scalzi I believe took a break from the overarching story. Scalzi could have pulled a curve all on us all. It was hilarious and sharply written. The story paced well. Yet another 5 star read.
Nikki
This episode is kinda cute and pretty funny, but again, this still feels bitty and disjointed and I don't think it works as a novel. The serial format makes it sort of alright, but it really doesn't feel unified enough.
Scott
7th episode in The Human Division. Disappointed in this one. It seemed like filler to me. We have Wilson and Schmidt back and there is a diplomatic mission and dog sitting and potential civil war.

BUT

I'm not sure how this ties in with the bigger story arc AND this story doesn't really work alone SO I'm not sure why it was included. Maybe Scalzi uses it later in the book but just looking at this episode on it's own merits, I would have to say that this episode could be skipped and we wouldn't mis...more
Lis Carey
The B Team has been dispatched to support a diplomatic mission acting as mediators on an alien planet attempting to emerge from civil war and form a new, unified government. The war has been going on for a couple of centuries, ever since the disappearance of the last king, and the pretext for the fighting is that each side blames the other for his disappearance.

CDF Lt. Harry Wilson has been given one simple task--watch the lead Ambassador's dog while she's mediating the very sensitive negotiatio...more
Alice
This is the seventh installment in John Scalzi's serial novel, The Human Division. Of all of the episodes, despite its inclusion of the main cast, this has me most scratching my head and wondering if this book is meant to be a cohesive whole. As amusing as the story is, it seems more of a distraction than part of a bigger plot.

In this installment, Harry Wilson is assigned to watch an ambassador's dog while said ambassador works on a peace accord with the Icheloe. The Icheloe has been at war with...more
John
This review is for the entirety of The Human Division, comprised of The B-Team; Walk the Plank; We Only Need the Heads; A Voice in the Wilderness; Tales From the Clarke; The Back Channel; The Dog King; The Sound of Rebellion; The Observers; This Must Be the Place; A Problem of Proportion; The Gentle Art of Cracking Heads; Earth Below, Sky Above.

My first thought about this, the latest story in the Old Man's War universe from John Scalzi, was annoyance that I hadn't read it whilst it was being rel...more
Pierre
**** Special note to this one: the whole idea behind this story is really good and I found this book particularly funny in the series ****

This is a review for the series of the Human Division. I have read all the 13 books in a row, this was my first time reading John Scalzi.
I was at first disturbed by the series: more than 400 different races, some with very unfriendly intents toward each other, but all at about the same technological development level and strength which makes it none really pre...more
Kaethe
A perfect little short story, funny, that fits into the arc. If I thought for a second that diplomacy were anything like Scalzi writes it, I'd be be kicking myself for never having joined the foreign service. He skips over the tedious bits in favor of the clever solution to thorny problems. Such fun.

Interesting that he didn't end each section on a cliff-hanger. Well, interesting because I'm totally enthralled anyway. I'm gonna miss this when it's done.

I bought it.
heidi
Don't you hate it when you are stuck taking care of some mucky-muck's dog?

....and then it gets eaten by a giant carnivorous plant?

Harry Wilson continues in his scifi version of A Series of Unfortunate Events, where he just tries to do the right thing and everything comes apart around him. Happily, unlike the children in Lemony Snicket's books, Wilson has both wit and the capacity to change his fate.

Also, Scalzi is winning my heart with sly references to other media:
"“Is it painful?” the groundsk...more
Evgeni Kirilov
The story started off in a way I didn't expect, and then headed off to another direction I didn't expect. Ultimately, it ended up being significantly lighter than the rest in The Human Division, but not bad.
Peter Anargirou
Scalzi's seventh episode of The Human Division, The Dog King, returns to the main characters of the novel, Wilson, Schmidt, and friends. When the diplomatic team gets a new assignment and Wilson is assigned to watching a dog, he gets into a bit of trouble.

The episodic nature of the Human Division allows Scalzi to use a different tone in each episode. While the novel and the Old Man's War series as a whole has always had some humor, the Dog King seems like more a comedy than previous episodes. I...more
Charles
In the TV series analog to this book, this episode would be the lightweight, quirky, mid-season show that doesn't really seem like it adds to the overall plot but then gets referenced in the season finale as something critical. As has been the pattern, this episode returns to the CDF ambassador team as they continue trying to gain leverage against the Conclave, but then (slightly) morbid hilarity ensues. I did have to Google what a Lhasa apso is, but it is pretty much what I imagined based on th...more
Drew
Overall these aren't the best on their own but put together they make a great story but this is the best on yet!
Marcelo
John Scalzi allow us, the readers, some time out of the spiraling demise of Humankind's hegemony in the Old Man's War galaxy with a story of incredibly good-taste humor, without letting go of some of some drama.

Although the unfolding of events in «The Dog King» is quite predictable, that doesn't seem to be the focus of the narrative, but exactly the opposite, to point us to the right direction — the direction where lies some pleasure reading.

This short respite will contrast a lot with the rest o...more
Kevin
A funny, interlude that brings us back to Wilson and Schmidt. They are quickly becoming one of my favorite duos; the interactions are fun, the problems are involving, and the characters are likable. Thank you Mr. Scalzi. I truly believe at this point the plot is just going to pick and move along swellelegantly. I do grow slightly sad that I know only 5 installments remain. I've been reading a chapter and then quickly trying to finish a different book before the next chapter comes out, total fail...more
Israel
This episode of the Human Division might just be the best thing anyone has written. Ever.
Maduck831
the first part was freakin hilarious to me, had some laugh out loud moments...i loved the dialogue between wilson and schmidt, good stuff...i'm still trying to wrap my head around "what" this series is...at times i think it's a larger story arc but with this entry i almost feel it's a bunch of stand alone short stories...that said, i have enough faith in scalzi that i don't doubt it will be entertaining no matter what...ending on this one was a bit of a let down, thought we'd get a major plot po...more
this was a fun one to read. arf!
Amanda Allen
One of the better stand alones.
bella
Annabeth Leong
A lighter episode, but very entertaining. I really enjoy the science puzzle theme that's building up, and Wilson's consistent creativity in finding wild and satisfying solutions. The tie to the rest of the narrative felt lighter than normal, but the episode was funny enough that I didn't mind.

This installment contained several excellently fleshed out minor characters who really enhanced the story. I laughed out loud at the groundskeeper.
Jane
This one is probably the funniest one in the series yet. I'm really enjoying the episodic nature of the series as a whole and I'm looking forward to the rest.
Ryan Lawler
When I first started this episode I didn't think I was going to enjoy it. It seemed to be too light weight and humour wasn't really connecting. But after the incident with the plant I really got into this episode and in the end, which was probably expected, it all affected their diplomatic mission in a rather unexpected fashion. Over halfway now - I think Scalzi really needs to up the ante in the next episode.
Ralph
I look forward to Tuesdays when the next installment of The Human Division is released. This week, we have The Dog King, an entertaining and quirky story about the rescue of an ambassador's dog who has an unfortunate encounter with a carnivorous plant requiring our protagonist to get down and dirty to retrieve the animal. It is a fun listen and serves as filler in the bigger story arc. Enjoyed this tale.
Vicente L Ruiz
Awesome chapter! In fact, it does look like a brief interlude, with a stronger humourous tone spread throughout the chapter, in a change of tone from the previous instalments.

Unless, of course, some of the events here prove to be pivotal later on...

Each week I keep looking forward to the next chapter, which is one of the objectives. In all, this is still fun to read, and I am enjoying it.
Dan
Another unusual mission is in store for Harry Wilson of the CDF and the ambassadorial crew with which he serves when he is given the less than prestigious task of walking and caring for the head Ambassador's pet Lhasa Apso. Diplomatic negotiations with an alien race just emerging from civil war become even more tricky and tenuous when a carnivorous alien plant ingests Tuffy the dog.
  • Valkyrie Burning (Hayden War Cycle,#3)
  • The Churn: An Expanse Novella
  • METAtropolis: Cascadia
  • The Fourth Wall (Dagmar, #3)
  • Shoggoth's Old Peculiar
  • Overtime (Laundry Files, #2.5)
  • Hard Luck Hank: Screw The Galaxy
  • Fire Above, Fire Below
  • First Light (The Red #1)
  • Dreadnaught (The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier, #1)
  • Hex (Coyote Universe, #8)
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2012 Edition
  • Poor Man's Fight
John Scalzi, having declared his absolute boredom with biographies, disappeared in a puff of glitter and lilac scent.

(If you want to contact John, using the mail function here is a really bad way to do it. Go to his site and use the contact information you find there.)
More about John Scalzi...
Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1) Redshirts The Ghost Brigades (Old Man's War, #2) The Last Colony (Old Man's War #3) Fuzzy Nation