Start by marking “Circumstantial Evidence” as Want to Read:
Circumstantial Evidence

Circumstantial Evidence

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  97 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Pete Earley's The Hot House gave America a riveting, uncompromising look at the nation's most notorious prison—the federalpenitentiary in Leavenworth, Kansas—a book that Kirkus Reviews called a "fascinating white-knuckle tour of hell, brilliantly reported." Now Earley shows us a different, even more intimate viewof justice—and injustice—American-style.

In Monroeville, Alaba

Published January 4th 2000 by Bantam (first published August 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Circumstantial Evidence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Circumstantial Evidence

Fishface
This one is worth seeking out and reading, probably over and over. I doubt you'll get the whole story the first time -- there is just too much to take it. This case happened in the same small Alabama town where Harper Lee grew up and where her fictional classic TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD was based (thinly disguised). That story -- a case of a false rape accusation against a black man in the Thirties, and the attempts to keep him from being prosecuted, then killed by a lynch mob -- has absolutely noth ...more
Jarome
May 01, 2008 Jarome rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peter Barley takes you into a world, I know most of us have no idea about. By the time I finished this I felt so angry and sick to my stomach at the bold stupidity that human beings can display, that it took me a while to get over it. Once again, don't read this if you don't like hard truth. Truth about the side of people that just makes you sick. I think what bothered me the most (I should say what made me feel the most ashamed as an african-american male) is the fact that there were black peop ...more
Charity
Oct 18, 2015 Charity rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I ordered this book after hearing Bryan Stevenson speak in Kenosha. He's a lawyer who advocates legally for death row inmates and is featured in this book because he helps the main accused murderer fight his death row sentence because he was wrongly accused.

The story takes place in Alabama, where defendants are NOT provided legal council if they don't have a way to pay for it. I have to say, I didn't know that still went on in America. It's just so solidly classist (and by extension racist) tha
Cindy
Feb 23, 2016 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend. This true story of racial injustice takes place in small hometown of Harper Lee. For years I've had an article about human rights attorney Bryan Stevenson on my bulletin board at work that discusses his views on "To Kill a Mockingbird". The article came from this book. No spoilers on his opinion or what happens to his client, Walter "Johnny" D. McMillian . I started this book and couldn't put it down. Five stars. And if you haven't seen the TED talk by Bryan please watch.
Mary Jane
Good read about a real crime that occurred in the deep south. Actually, it was about several crimes - 2 murders and one man incorrectly imprisoned for one of the murders.
At times, the book was tedious. Indeed, the author had no choice as the reporting of this whole scenario took time and patience.
It is sad that this occurred in our country in 1986. And maybe still does today. Very sad, indeed.
Ann Benefiel
Sep 02, 2014 Ann Benefiel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This true story has so many twists and turns that fiction could never top it. I read it on Kindle and had no idea it was over 500 pages when I started. I stayed up all night when I was only a few hundred pages in, thinking with each chapter that I was near the end. Every time the crime(s) seemed to be about sewn up, new characters would pop up or someone new would take over the case. I've always been interested in social justice and this is one of the best examples, along with John Grisham's non ...more
Judy Libby
Nov 12, 2014 Judy Libby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The perfect follow-up to JUST MERCY. What a tangled web we weave. . . . So lucky not to have been born black, poor, and in Alabama!
Katy Reed preston
Great story about pursuing justice.
Andrew
Dec 29, 2007 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent true crime writing...This one stands out to me as an excellent insight to the legal process in the south. After reading Super Casino, I was looking forward to this, and it really delivered..
Kristin
Nov 18, 2010 Kristin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I'm actually from Monroeville. I went to church with the morrisons though I didn't know who they were at the time. I hope the murders are solved because these families deserve justice!
Lelia
Jan 01, 2014 Lelia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
A sadly disturbing look at the legal hoops that must be jumped and the inequity of our justice system.
Monica Perez
A fine read. True crime. Interesting insight into the possible irreversible injustice of the death penalty in its application.
Kari
Aug 13, 2014 Kari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frustratingly eye opening.
Victoria Hunter
Victoria Hunter marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Patt Grumm
Patt Grumm rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Laura Alexander
Laura Alexander marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Ms Richaund Davis
Ms Richaund Davis marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Hillary
Hillary marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Amanda Vargas
Amanda Vargas marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Duane B. Delaney
Duane B. Delaney marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Clarinda
Clarinda rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Madison
Madison marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Cobagibu
Cobagibu marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Gerry Hoencke
Gerry Hoencke marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Michella
Michella marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
  • Contempt of Court: The Turn-of-the-Century Lynching That Launched a Hundred Years of Federalism
  • Floodlines: Community and Resistance from Katrina to the Jena Six
  • A Wild Justice: The Death and Resurrection of Capital Punishment in America
  • We Are Not Afraid: The Story of Goodman, Schwerner, and Chaney, and the Civil Rights Campaign for Mississippi
  • Fetal Abduction: The True Story of Multiple Personalities and Murder
  • The Misbegotten Son
  • Living with Evil
  • Simple Justice: The History of Brown v. Board of Education and Black America's Struggle for Equality
  • A Sniper in the Tower: The Charles Whitman Murders
  • Alien Hand Syndrome and Other Too-Weird-Not-To-Be-True Stories
  • Dismembered
  • A Question of Freedom: A Memoir of Learning, Survival, and Coming of Age in Prison
  • OMG My Kids Said WHAT?
  • My Prison Without Bars: The Journey of a Damaged Woman to Someplace Normal
  • Gods of Mischief: My Undercover Vendetta to Take Down the Vagos Outlaw Motorcycle Gang
  • Let's Get Free: A Hip-Hop Theory of Justice
  • Under the Bridge: The True Story of the Murder of Reena Virk
  • In the Name of Love and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #4)
Pete Earley is a storyteller who has penned 13 books including the New York Times bestseller The Hot House and the 2007 Pulitzer Prize finalist Crazy: A Father’s Search Through America’s Mental Health Madness.
After a 14-year career in journalism, including six years at The Washington Post, Pete became a full-time author with a commitment to expose the stories that entertain and surprise.
His honest
More about Pete Earley...