Start by marking “Cyborg 009” as Want to Read:
Cyborg 009

Cyborg 009

Shotaro Ishinomori's popular manga classic is reimagined for a new generation! Awakening in a futurist military installation with no memory of who he is or how he got there, a young man known only as CYBORG 009 has been stripped by his captors not only his freedom, but also his humanity. His body augmented by cybernetic technology, CYBORG 009 joins forces with eight other ...more
Published September 24th 2013 by Archaia (first published July 23rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Cyborg 009, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cyborg 009

Wayne McCoy
Nov 05, 2013 Wayne McCoy rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Cyborg 009 is a reboot of the 1964 series by Shotaro Ishinomori that has a great modern sensibility while still honoring the past. A diverse group of cyborgs is created by the Black Ghost and they all have different strengths to bring to the team.

The newest member, Cyborg 009, discovers that his name was Joe and that he was in love with a girl. He breaks from the group and almost dies, but uncovers a plot by Sekar to build an army of cyborgs to take over the planet. Can Cyborg 009 (and 001-008)
Wendy
Sep 26, 2013 Wendy rated it liked it
This is a re-imagining of Shotaro Ishinomori's original manga classic. I have not read the original, but this re-imagining seems to hold to the simplistic roots, while updating the story with more modern and mature art. This is about a cyborg named Joe to find his body worked over with technology and no memories of his past. His first test is to kill his predecessors, 001 through 008, but they have plans of their own and take him along on their escape from the evil company seeking to dominate ...more
ZQ
Jun 21, 2015 ZQ rated it liked it
I was pretty eager to give this a read after I got through the original manga run of Cyborg 009 and loved it. I was a bit surprised to see that a 10-volume manga had been condensed into a 1-volume graphic novel, but I was interested to see how things turned out.

Like with the original series, this graphic novel follows a group of nine ordinary humans kidnapped to be forcibly converted into cyborgs by the arms-dealing organization, the Black Ghost. The last among them to be captured is Joe Shimamu
Daniel
Sep 02, 2016 Daniel rated it liked it
I've never been a fan of 'manga' so I'm not sure what drew me to this particular book. Perhaps it's because it's not quite 'manga' but it definitely has hints of the manga-style of artwork. And yet it's not completely that manga-style. This is hard to define, and I suspect that's what's drawn me in.

Cyborg 009 is actually a re-boot of a comic by Shotaro Ishinomorifrom the 1960's (which had what I consider the typical 'manga' look) with a more 'modern' look to the artwork and story-telling. This i
Online Eccentric Librarian
Jul 24, 2014 Online Eccentric Librarian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, manga

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Cyborg 009 is a beautifully illustrated modern retelling of the Japanese manga and anime classic. The artists/author do a great job of taking the heart of the original and creating a modern, more accessible retelling for the new audiences.

The original Cyborg 009, published in Japan from the 1960s to 1980s, featured a lot of the tropes that are honestly feeling dated and less nostalgic: cartoony over-emphasized facial/bod
Suz
Sep 30, 2013 Suz rated it really liked it
This is classic super hero action with the super powers coming from cybernetic redesign of humans. 009 wakes up in a lab. He has been kidnapped and experimented on by Sekar and his scientists. His memory of his former life is suppressed and he cannot remember how he wound up in the lab. Together with the eight cyborgs who were created before him (000 - 008), he escapes and tried to stop their former captors from kidnapping anyone else and creating more unwilling cyborgs.

The team comes from a va
Gary
Jul 22, 2015 Gary rated it really liked it
I picked this up because the illustrations were too awesome. I understand that this graphic novel is a re-make of the classic manga and anime of the same name, but being someone who has no prior knowledge of the original Cyborg 009, I simply can't make a justified comparison. However, I went to do a little research and watched the first episode of the anime, and I must say the graphic novel has really beefed up the way the characters were drawn. Perhaps a little more...westernised? Though I ...more
Kimberly
Sep 05, 2013 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Cyborg 009? Wait, Cyborg 009, a favorite manga and anime from my childhood, has been completely re-imagined and redrawn?! It's true! Shotaro Ishinomori's classic tale about future warfare is back.

After awaking without memories, 009 learns that he is no longer fully human but a cyborg. He's a weapon created by the Black Ghost Organization, an organization that manufactures weapons and wars for profit. 009 must choose the cause for which he will fight.

The new character designs pay tribute to the
Michelle
May 23, 2014 Michelle rated it liked it
The only reason I read this was for Marcus To's artwork. His artwork is always wonderful and this book was no exception. It seems to me that he is advancing in his work. The character designs (though based on the original) were all unique, something that I think he's struggled with a bit in the past.

The story itself was very typical and predictable. A man becomes a hero not by choice, he cannot return to the life he once knew, and now he must rise to the occasion to save the world. The villain
Jenn Noto
May 28, 2015 Jenn Noto rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scanned
Cyborg 009 is a great graphic novel. It brought me back to my childhood when I first started watching anime and Cyborg 009 used to be on tv. The artwork in the graphic novel is definitely different than the anime/manga, but I still liked it a lot. It's like they gave it a little more realism with ought being completely realistic in appearence. It was a great story line of how the cyborgs 001-009 came to be, where they call came from, and what their real names are from before they were turned ...more
Apr 05, 2014 Laura rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Great artwork, and a fantastic reimagining of the original! But the story just wasn't there for me. I understood what the author was going for, but transitions lacked fluidity and the GN was simply too short to really contain the full scope of everything the story was trying to accomplish. But a great tribute to the original!
Michael
Jul 31, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Probably one of the best presentations that Archaia has done. Cyborg 009 is a labor of love from the designer and artist. Although the story read a little quick, I could understand he need because it was only one volume.

Marcus To was definitely the best choice for the art. Ishinomori would definitely have been proud of this tribute.
Anastasia
Dec 07, 2013 Anastasia rated it liked it
http://instagram.com/p/hoXw2UnbIg/ Bought this book from the Archaia booth for the beautiful coloring (Ian Herring). Was not disappointed. It's not a bad adaptation, but I have a feeling the original manga is better. Will have to check it out at some point.
David Fhu
Jan 16, 2016 David Fhu rated it liked it
It had been ages since the last I read a manga. It is like a x-men comic that tell a common story about a cyborg and his proto-type saving the world!
Marge Shaffer
Marge Shaffer rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2014
Benjamin
Benjamin rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2013
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2016
Terry Wagner
Sep 20, 2013 Terry Wagner rated it it was amazing
great art and story.
Markus Seaberry
Oct 23, 2013 Markus Seaberry rated it really liked it
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was ok
Aug 15, 2015
Tim
Tim rated it it was ok
Dec 02, 2015
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was ok
Oct 16, 2013
Savannah
Savannah rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Ed
Ed rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Marlana
Marlana rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2014
Benny Morduchowitz
Benny Morduchowitz rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Amy Cokenour
Amy Cokenour rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2013
Jason Paradis
Jason Paradis rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2013
Dillon
Dillon rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016