Start by marking “Simplify: A Guide To Caring For The Soul” as Want to Read:
Simplify: A Guide To Caring For The Soul

Simplify: A Guide To Caring For The Soul

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  247 ratings  ·  80 reviews
We've all been there--too many pressures, too little time. Life starts to feel out of control. Learning to simplify our lives is much more than avoiding phone calls and trimming hectic schedules; more than cleaning closets or paring down possessions. Based on the premise that the most destructive aspect of stress is what it does to us spiritually, the author outlines eight ...more
Hardcover
Published by Shadow Mountain (first published April 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Simplify, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simplify

Tanya W
5 stars for content, 2 stars for good reading (or reading that I enjoy). I feel guilty giving a book like this three stars... that's a compromise between the 5 and 2, but read on... there are definitely some five star gems here.

There's no doubt that this material is good... I mean scriptures and quotes and thoughts that could help anyone improve his/her life. I can certainly find good things to help me in my life. And I don't want to be critical of someone who is trying to help others improve th
Tamra
Mar 30, 2009 Tamra rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tamra by: Grandma Thacker
Shelves: own-currently
Goes through the idea of simplifying your life and specifically your soul, using the letters in Simplify. For instance, S is for Stillness.

This book isn't well-written, but the woman isn't a writer, she's a public speaker. At least twice a chapter my husband and I would pause on a sentence and gripe about it. (I read it with my husband, chapter by chapter, over the course of about 2 weeks.)

But the ideas are pretty solid. Not original, but they don't have to be, since the ultimate source of simpl
Kristin
This was a past book club selection. We don't often read church books but this came highly recommended.This could shock you...but I doubt it will...I am not a huge church book reader. I don't drool with delight in Deseret Book or Seagull. I like to read biographies about church leaders or sometimes I will read a book by one of my favorite General Authorities or President Hinckley but I don't go searching for them. I RARELY read a book (OK that should be changed to pretty much never) read a book ...more
Bonnie
Dec 12, 2011 Bonnie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Bonnie by: Judy and John Hut
This was a gift given during the busy Christmas season last year, and so I felt like I was too busy to pick up a book about simplifying my life (I do see the irony).

So instead I picked it up this very busy holiday season instead and found it a very soul-satisfying read, that I will definitely return to again and again.

If you're looking for a book on cleaning your refrigerator, dejunking or any other similar topic, it's not to be found in this book. But if you're looking for how to let go of imma
Courtney
In general, I do not enjoy reading "self help" books. Unfortunately, this one was no different for me (except I appreciated that this one was not manipulative as many "self help" books from my experience are). It seemed like the material was very redundant with the same idea presented just a slightly different way in each chapter (which was pretty much to prioritize and put the essential things of life first). I guess I was just hoping for something more profound, but perhaps that would go again ...more
Lance
I picked up this tome because it looked to speak to my interest in personal productivity and achievement. And hey, who doesn't want to escape the hustle and bustle of modern life for a more inviting simplicity?

Unfortunately, I didn't really find what I was looking for here.

I thought I would find some practical solutions for simplifying one's life. What I found instead was the typical Deseret Book answer to life's problems. All we need is more church --- more Spirit, more Atonement, more scriptur
Nancy
May 20, 2015 Nancy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nancy by: Melanie
The three stars is being generous. Maybe 2 1/4.

This seemed like it would be a good book for me, since I would love to simplify my life inside and out. But the reality was not a fit. I'm just glad I hadn't gone out and bought it.

The best parts were all quotes from other sources. And the author did a good job of collecting a bunch of great quotes. It was her own words between the quotes that was the problem for me: redundant, superficial, and dare I say old-fashioned. There were a few places that
Yara
I loved this book and will definitely re-read and study it. It's exactly what I needed to read right now.
Elaine
Apr 27, 2009 Elaine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any latter-day-saint seeking a more simple, peaceful approach to life.
Recommended to Elaine by: Deseret Book
This is a great book that I plan to use as a reference and review over and over again. It's not the typical organizational book you might expect by the title "Simplify". Rather, it is what its subtitle states: "a guide to caring for the soul".

I like the way this book is organized. The author introduces 7 basic concepts (stillness, integrity, mercy, prune, let go, impossible, and fortify) and elaborates on how each of these concepts can contribute to an overall feeling of peace in your soul, a fe
Melanie
Someone I admire greatly recommended this book on her blog. I'm so glad I read it. I wish I'd had the time to read a chapter and let it sink in for a week or so before continuing on to the next chapter. The book wasn't meant to be read quickly. But there were so many nuggets of wisdom- and my favorite was found on the very back cover: "Live a life that reflects your priorities." In the book Rasmus uses the word "Simplify" as an acronym. Each chapter focuses on a key word that, if applied, will m ...more
Kirsten
This book really gets down to the core of one's priorities and being honest with yourself. At first you might think it's something to help you simplify your life, but in actuality helps you to get to the core of what's really important to you and how to simply take care of yourself, which in turn helps you to be able to help others as well (like family and friends, etc.) So beautifully written and the author is so warm and understanding. The tips for tangibly simplifying your life and valuable a ...more
Rose
I was given this book by my mother in law a few years for mothers day & absolutely love it!!!! Always use it for a reference at church, home, & in my everyday life. I've shared it with my neighbors & gave a copy to my sister who I feel really needed it in her life. Each letter in SIMPLIFY has a meaning. It has helped me in many ways. Especially the P which stands for Peace. I met Carolyn Rasmus & she's a convert to the LDS faith (as am I). She's very down to earth & I conside ...more
Alison
Don't expect a list of how-to's in getting rid of clutter and simplifying our physical lives. The approach is to simplify our lives by focusing on the life of the soul, geting rid of all excess baggage that is holding us back. And then moving forward with the most imporant priorities first. My favorite chapter, entitled "Let Go" reminded me that it was only between me and the Lord, and what other people think or say to me has nothing to do with my own soul's progression. Nice reminder in a world ...more
Karene
This book was exactly what I've needed. Carolyn Rasmus gives some wonderful insights on how to simplify life spiritually...basically it comes down to priorities, and how figure out what your priorities are and make sure they're taking first place in your life. I especially liked the first chapter on "Stillness". I've needed more stillness in my life and this book got me started on taking the time to be still and meditate. I highly recommend this book to anyone who may be feeling overwhelmed and ...more
Lori Campbell
I reccomend this book to anyone. It was plain and simple to read. Lots of excellent quotes by LDS Church leaders. Simple truths and easy to follow, a quick read. Each chapter has ideas on places to start to simplify your own personal life. Small things, easy things to help remove the clutter from your life. Shares notes and scriptures along with stories to help you look at the things in your life that need to be changed. Every person is different and the author acknowledges that.
Maggie
So much about simplifying my life is in my own body, mind, and soul. When she says, "simplify" I think she really means PEACE. This books is a guideline for having peace in our lives.

Wow I still have so much to work on. Forgiving myself is a big one. Not judging others is another. Kind of funny, I guess those go hand in hand because if I am critical of others it only makes sense that I would be most critical of myself.
Pam
This is the kind of self-helpish book I love. It had good stories and experiences that made me think about my life and what I do. Then, at the end of each chapter were quotes that supported what the chapter talked about and suggestions of things you could do to start working on applying the principles to your life.

This was the second time I've read this, and I liked it just as much this time as the last time.
Bethany
Jan 14, 2009 Bethany rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: lds
This is one of the BEST books about simplifying I have ever read. It's practical, it's spiritual, it's inspiring, and it's easy and fast to read. It will NOT make you feel guilty and it does NOT tell you how to organize your house. It's all about how to eliminate the non-essential things in our lives so we can focus on the most important things. I'm creating my whole New Year's resolutions around it. Love it!
Shelley
Gave this to my Mom for Mother's day and had to borrow it to read myself. I found it quite uplifting with some good stories/examples. The author taught that simplifying your life is about more than just organizing physical possessions. I appreciated her instructions on spending our time on activities that match what we truly value. She had lots of other great ideas to think about too.
Hollie
Oct 26, 2008 Hollie marked it as to-read
I have not read this book. I just attended a TOFW conference where Rasmus was one of the presenters...I remember seeing this book for sale at the conference, but I didn't realize I wanted to read it until after I heard her talk. I thought that they truly saved the best for last as she was the last speaker. All the presenters were good, but she touched my heart the most.
Anna
This helps me find ways to prioritize what is important! It helped me come to terms with the fact that I need to let go of the non essential (but loud things) in my life and replace them with the things that will help me reach my eternal goals...still need a lot of evaluating and a life time of perfecting...but it isn't as daunting as it seemed to be.
Kami
Very good book. It talks about simplifying from a spiritual perspective-- basically you have to get in tune with your spiritual side in order to be able to handle all of the things that life throws at you. Most "simplify" books give lots of tips on how to organize our time and our kitchen shelves. This one talked about organizing your soul.
Donna
This is a valuable little gem of a book. I appreciated its insights and they are proving to be helpful to me in my daily life. This book isn't about simplifying on an organizational, household level; it's about the more important role of simplifying on a spiritual level, of "caring for the life of the soul." It was a motivating and uplifting read.
Laurie
I didn't think I would like this book at first. But, after reading it, I realize it has great value. It's a book that you can just pick a chapter of something you need at the moment and gain some good insight on. I wish I could remember all the good council in my day to day life, but I'm too busy to simplify just now--ha ha!
Gina
This is the book that our Relief Society theme for 2008 is based on. It is wonderful! I finished reading it last night and there are so many great ways to simplify your life that really will spiritually enrich you also. I can't wait to dive into this theme this year and really come closer to my Savior.
Feb 20, 2009 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lds women
I really liked this book a lot. She did not really say anything new but I liked the way she presented old material if that makes sense. It really got me thinking of the word simplify in new ways and I am planning some FHE lessons based on things I learned from this book.
Michele
this book is a good reminder to slow down, think about your priorities, and make changes where needed. I read it with my friend, JaNeise, and we found that reading the chapters twice really enhanced the reading experience.
A small book packed with wisdom.
Amy
This book has really made an impression on my soul, and I am thankful that I was asked to read this book so I could allow myself some introspection and prioritizing. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a little simplifying in their life.
Vickie
So far this is a great book. Life is so busy and I am one that needs to think about how cluttered my schedule is and make the most important things in life come first. She has great points to consider and wonderful quotes for inspiration.
Claudia Harrington
I got to her Carolyn in person while at a only for women conference. Just like her book it was inspiring. It took me a while to finish her book because like she said it not a speed read book. I love her insights and apreciate her councel.
  • 21 Days Closer to Christ
  • Broken Things to Mend
  • Mary, Martha, And Me:  Seeking the One Thing That Is Needful
  • A Heart Like His: Making Space for God's Love in Your Life
  • Being Enough
  • Mothering with Spiritual Power: Book of Mormon Inspirations for Raising a Righteous Family
  • Power to Become: Spiritual Patterns for Pressing Forward with a Steadfastness in Christ (Spiritual Patterns, #3)
  • When Times Are Tough: 5 Scriptures That Will Help You Get Through Almost Anything
  • My Dear Sisters: Inspiration for Women from Gordon B. Hinckley
  • Not My Will, but Thine
  • Small and Simple Things
  • Take Two Chocolates and Call Me in the Morning: 12 Semi-Practical Solutions for the Really Busy Woman
In the Strength of the Lord I Can Do All Things The One Thing We All Need Our Saviors Love Be Thou Humble Be Still and Know: Do You Feel Stressed? Tired? Discouraged? Inadequate? ... (1 Cassette)