Start by marking “Jaws of Darkness (Darkness, #5)” as Want to Read:
Jaws of Darkness (Darkness, #5)

Jaws of Darkness (Darkness #5)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  465 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The grand conflict for control of the continent of Derlavai rages on in a battle with all the drama and terror of the Second World War-- only the bullets are beams of magical fire. The tanks and submarines are great lumbering beasts, and the fighters and bombers are dragons raining fire upon their targets.

Hope may be dawning at last. The terrible onslaught of the conquerin...more
Published March 1st 2004 by Tor Science Fiction (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Jaws of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jaws of Darkness

Steven
I should say I thoroughly enjoy this series, but I'd hesitate to call them 'great' books. They are very entertaining. I won't do a review of all 6 just now because I've been reading them on something like 6 month intervals (the books themselves don't take too long to read).

Obviously if you've read the previous 4 books you know this is a loose re-telling of WWII. I won't get into the details of the background and where they significantly differ from actual history (that might appear in an 'Into...more
Ryan Zimmerman Carstairs
I have to say I was taken a bit by surprise. It has been a while since I read the previous book in this series, and at the time I wasn’t really impressed by it – I thought the series was slipping inevitably toward that “Series that Never Ends” point when I would just say to heck with it. Frankly I expected this book to be good, but only rating a 3; I feared it might only deserve a 2.

And bam – it was pretty great. The Algrarveians are loosing as the war presses toward its conclusion, and it’s a f...more
M Tat
Volume 5 is where utter headway is made, and the war crumbles beneath BOTH warmonger's tread. I imagined that peace, resolve, SOMETHING would occur. . .but Turtledove reminds the reader--through storytelling--that war's consequences and actions continue to ripple more broadly than expected. There is never a real end to conflict, only the cessation until paradigms truly shift.
Liviu
1944 - collapse of Algarvian power in most Derlavai, Eorsforig uprising crushed when the unktlenater army stops on the river ?? (aka Warsaw, soviet, vistula)

first tests of super magic aka nuclear bombs, Algarve uses new powerful weapons but too little too late

Story continues, page turner, characters die, new characters take their place...
Brentman99
Dec 03, 2013 Brentman99 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who like Turtledove
Another great series with very strong characters. I like how the action moves and Turtledove writes great combat scenes. I like how he uses his characters and enjoyed the series.
Lorenzo
Quinto volume della Guerra dei Regni. Da leggere come gli altri
Tristen
This book sucked i never knew what was going on at all.
Nathan
Jun 11, 2008 Nathan marked it as to-read
Need something fantasy/sci fi to read befor bed.
Clint Vickery
Clint Vickery marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Robert Stepien
Robert Stepien marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
by Ax
by Ax marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Scott Gardner
Scott Gardner marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Daniel Kočí
Daniel Kočí marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
  • The Rose of the World (Fool's Gold, #3)
  • The Shadow of Ararat (Oath of Empire #1)
  • Rally Cry (Lost Regiment #1)
  • Scion of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #11)
  • Children of Amarid (Lon Tobyn Chronicle #1)
  • 1862
  • The Fortress of Glass
  • One King's Way (Hammer and the Cross, #2)
  • The Tower on the Rift (The View from the Mirror, #2)
  • The Air War (Shadows of the Apt, #8)
  • The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories
  • 1635: The Eastern Front (Assiti Shards, #10)
  • Fitzpatrick's War
  • The Grand Design (Tyrants and Kings, #2)
  • Soul Hunter
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce...more
More about Harry Turtledove...
The Guns of the South In the Balance (Worldwar, #1) How Few Remain (Timeline-191, #1) Tilting the Balance (Worldwar, #2) Striking the Balance (Worldwar, #4)