Once There Were Giants

Once There Were Giants

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  7 reviews
There is a baby who lives among giants.... Soon the baby grows a little and can walk and talk. Then, one day, the baby is all grown up and has a baby of her own. Suddenly there are giants in the house again, and she realizes, "One of the giants is...ME!" Martin Waddell and Penny Dale trace the cycle of family life as it goes from one generation to the next in this warm pic...more
Paperback
Published April 25th 1991 by Walker Books Ltd (first published September 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Once There Were Giants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once There Were Giants

Jonathan Fowle
"Once there were giants", follows the life of an unnamed female character as she goes from childhood to adulthood. Living with her Mum, Dad, Uncle Tom and her two siblings, we see her first day at school, getting into fights with her her brother, getting a job and eventually getting married and having her own baby, making her a "Giant".

A good book for Key Stage 1 or Early Years, however, some may find the illustrations a bit dark and more exciting things could have happened during her lifetim...more
Robert
I have chosen this book for my second review as I believe it tries to demonstrate to children the process of birth to adulthood and the experiences of life at each stage in this process. Above all, the book looks at family life and children can associate with this, regardless of background and cultures.

The book commences with a baby girl and all those around her are perceived as "giants". The book continues to show how the child is growing up alongside her family throughout the years and importa...more
Becca
I had this read to me a lot when I was very little, and I loved the illustrations at the time, all the detail in them. I recently was going through a lot of boxes of old books and found it again, and ended up sniffing and wiping away tears by the end of it. Read it at 20 is a very different experience from reading it at 4!
Chrissie Willicombe
I absolutely adore this book as does my (now) 5 year old. Fantastic for teaching the passing of time, the development from baby to child to teenager to young adult to parent. Beautifully illustrated too with lots to look at and discuss. Wonderful!
Martin Waterhouse
I don't think I've ever made it to the end of this book without bawling my eyes out, much to my 4 year-old's amusement - he'll understand one day. Beautiful.
Valerie
I have never been able to read this book out loud to the boys without crying.
Den
I enjoyed this more than the children
Lisa Cornish
Lisa Cornish marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Jija
Jija marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Stephanie Ayris
Stephanie Ayris marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Candice Parris
Candice Parris marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Grainne Ní sceallaigh
Grainne Ní sceallaigh marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Kelly Mccoy
Kelly Mccoy marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
Zoe Downes
Zoe Downes marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2013
Rosie Scott
Rosie Scott marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2013
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Jackie Lewis
Jackie Lewis marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

Also writes under the pen name Catherine Sefton

Martin Waddell is the author of more than one hundred books for young readers.
More about Martin Waddell...
Owl Babies Can't You Sleep, Little Bear? Farmer Duck Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale The Super Hungry Dinosaur