Start by marking “My Life with Jacqueline Kennedy” as Want to Read:
My Life with Jacqueline Kennedy

My Life with Jacqueline Kennedy

Mary Barelli Gallagher, personal secretary to the former First Lady, Jacqueline Kennedy, writes of her time working for the Kennedy family between 1953 and 1964.
Published October 1969 by Paperback Library (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about My Life with Jacqueline Kennedy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Life with Jacqueline Kennedy

Kerry Kenney
Jackie's favorite vacation rental was a house at the very tip of the Cape, isolated on three sides, situated on rock, looking out at a vast ocean. Her secretary wondered why someone so young could love such a quiet, lonely place? I can easily imagine she loved feeling like no one was looking at her. This memoir is a betrayal. It's gossippy. And it's fantastic. My favorite JBK bio by far. It's the book you wished her friends had written about her that someone actually wrote. I picked up my copy ...more
Elizabeth Lugin
Jun 23, 2013 Elizabeth Lugin rated it it was amazing
I couldn't stay away from it for long, hard to put down. It was informative to some degree but I wished for more depth, or 'gossip'. Enough was told by this intimate associate which brought onto her some minor fallout. Ms. Gallagher's presence is very much there at the swearing in on Air Force One of Lyndon Johnson on that day, as the author shows in this book. Any displays of that scene on or in any other media shows NO Mary Gallagher. A clear snub.
Kathleen
Nov 23, 2013 Kathleen rated it liked it
Shelves: biography

Sneezed my way fhrough a vintage yellowed paperback version.

It's fairly dull reading, but I couldn't put it down for the 50th anniversary assassination weekend.

The late Ms. JO is depicted as a narcissistic princess who couldn't fathom why anyone would want or need overtime pay. I kept wanting Gallagher to just quit, for God's sake.

Decent enough read for those of us who, embarrassingly, just can't get enough Kennedy. The antique style - "the blessed event" and so on - has a certain charm.
Marlene Peterson
Dec 17, 2009 Marlene Peterson rated it liked it
This was an entertaining book. Being the Kennedy fan I am, I was hoping for some jucier gossip, but was thoroughly entertained by the details of the daily routine of Jackie's personal secretary.
Cierra
May 08, 2015 Cierra rated it really liked it
really enjoyed it. It was honest, in regards to the author's personal experience, though it was no where near disrespectful.
Amy Herget losonsky
Sep 07, 2014 Amy Herget losonsky rated it really liked it
I loved this book because I love Jackie, not for any other reason. Gallagher drags out the details page after page.
Beatrice Drury
Beatrice Drury rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Lancer Lace
Lancer Lace rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2014
Hotcool
Sep 05, 2008 Hotcool rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the story lin.
Jeanne
Jeanne rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2012
Tina Mitchell
Tina Mitchell rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2011
David Andres
David Andres rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2016
Marsha
Marsha rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2009
Pamela
Pamela rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Carol
Feb 11, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it
Love first hand accounts! A look behind the curtain!
Jennifer rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2014
Nedra
Nedra rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2013
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it it was ok
Jun 19, 2012
Linda
Linda rated it did not like it
Sep 04, 2016
Rebekka
Rebekka rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2015
Charles Giguère
Charles Giguère rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2011
Noreen murphy
Noreen murphy rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
FunnyFace
FunnyFace rated it really liked it
May 26, 2015
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2010
Darla
Darla rated it it was ok
Nov 15, 2011
Mary
Mary rated it did not like it
Sep 05, 2016
Carole
Carole rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2016
The Prock
The Prock rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2013
Mary Gallagher was born and grew up in Boston, the youngest of 12 children.

She first worked for a local paper company and then through Kenny O'Donnell, a former salesman for the company, she was hired by newly-elected Senator John F. Kennedy to be a secretary in his office, and went to Washington in January 1953.

Gallagher worked for Senator Kennedy for a number of years until her first child was
More about Mary Barelli Gallagher...