Start by marking “Troublemaker and Other Saints” as Want to Read:
Troublemaker and Other Saints

Troublemaker and Other Saints

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Meet the Wongs, Shengs and Tsuis. Each of these families has its own troubles and secretsand something the other two want. But the three clanswhose members include a matriarch who talks to dead relatives; her nymphomaniac granddaughter; an old man who reads only decades-old newspapers; and a street punkshare a past and face a common future. Told in a sequence of interwo ...more
Published April 2nd 2002 by Berkley Trade (first published March 5th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Troublemaker and Other Saints, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Troublemaker and Other Saints

Ashley
Great random pickup at the library. My favorite part was figuring out all the connections between the characters in the story. The people in the stories are heartachingly human and completely recognizable. Not really a light read, but I ripped through it in a couple days, a great testimony to Chiu's lovely prose and careful plotting.
Sinian
written on October 31, 2001 on amazon.com:

The day After I put down the book after finishing it in one day, my mind was still dancing from stories to stories, from the Wongs, to the Shengs, to the Tsuis. But after I got over the excitement, part of me was thinking, "Trouble Maker" is just like the "Job Luck Club", stereotyping Chinese American, making up all the sad stories just to prove that we are different from all other races and never changes. The "face thing", the cover-up of family scandal
Emily
When I was in high school, I really loved Amy Tan's books. But then I recently re-read some of her books, and I realized that I didn't like them at all anymore. And while reading Troublemaker and Other Saints, I just kept flashing back to The Joy Luck Club, and not in a good way. There are a couple of decent - maybe even good - stories in this collection, but for the most part, these stories feel cliched and overdone. Most of the stories center around the typical Asian-American themes: there's t ...more
Hena
I picked this up at a used book sale, figuring it would at least be a fairly interesting read. These stories definitely exceeded my expectations - the author managed to adopt the voice of several very different characters and at the same time maintain a common thread between each story. Each story was vivid and stayed with me even as I moved on to the next story.
Kamyia
it was ohkay...I liked to see different perspectives but sometimes it was really difficult to tell which character was the main for that chapter but the stories were interesting...I guess there wasn't supposed to be a real purpose besides showing the lives of various interrelated people...I would've liked to see it all come together a bit more but the ending was alright I suppose.
Alix
A beautifully written journey into the overwhelming power, pain and support of family relationships and how they determine the paths we take in our own relationships. I really loved the interweaving of story lines as different characters are introduced and developed.
Sherese
FANTASTIC BOOK! Great Read.. I love reading about people from different ethnic backgrounds, families and their connection with one another and to the community and human kind as a whole.
Zuzka
What a page turner! A very intimate peek at those dysfunctional families we all hear about... Loved it!
Lori
c. 2001
Interesting. Short-stories, but the characters were intertwined/related. Like this author.
Anuradha
One of the few books that truly captures all the facets of first generation Asian-American life.
Theletter12
Elisabeth
Feb 15, 2008 Elisabeth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Michelle, remember Christina? You did a signing with her in Augusta.
Kelly Pow
a collection of short stories. quite enjoyable
R
R marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Navaneeta
Navaneeta marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Brock
Brock marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Cameron Van Sant
Cameron Van Sant marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Liza
Liza added it
Sep 24, 2014
Steve Beres
Steve Beres marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Cammie
Cammie marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Susan Kodama
Susan Kodama marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Teri
Teri marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
  • In Full Bloom
  • The Chinese in America: A Narrative History
  • Fox Girl
  • Rescue Me
  • All I Asking for Is My Body (Kolowalu Book)
  • American Woman
  • Hunger
  • The Winged Seed: A Remembrance
  • Only What We Could Carry: The Japanese American Internment Experience
  • Love Poems of Elizabeth and Robert Browning
Eating Disorder Survivors Tell Their Stories SCHOOL'S OUT! (Ghostwriter) Teen Guide to Staying Sober Lives of Notable Asian Americans: Literature and Education (Asian-American Experience) Charlie Chan Is Dead 2: At Home in the World (An Anthology of Contemporary Asian American Fiction--Revised and Updated)