Start by marking “Troublemaker and Other Saints” as Want to Read:
Troublemaker and Other Saints

Troublemaker and Other Saints

Meet the Wongs, Shengs and Tsuis. Each of these families has its own troubles and secretsand something the other two want. But the three clanswhose members include a matriarch who talks to dead relatives; her nymphomaniac granddaughter; an old man who reads only decades-old newspapers; and a street punkshare a past and face a common future. Told in a sequence of interwo ...more
Published April 2nd 2002 by Berkley (first published March 5th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Troublemaker and Other Saints, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Troublemaker and Other Saints

Sinian
Aug 11, 2012 Sinian rated it really liked it
written on October 31, 2001 on amazon.com:

The day After I put down the book after finishing it in one day, my mind was still dancing from stories to stories, from the Wongs, to the Shengs, to the Tsuis. But after I got over the excitement, part of me was thinking, "Trouble Maker" is just like the "Job Luck Club", stereotyping Chinese American, making up all the sad stories just to prove that we are different from all other races and never changes. The "face thing", the cover-up of family scandal
Annie
Feb 11, 2017 Annie rated it it was ok
Ok set of stories, mostly sad. Picking this up hoping it would be something similar to 'The Joy Luck Club' but its very different. Its mostly set in the US whereas the other book has plenty of back story in China which I really enjoyed.
The best part of this book is how the characters are connected. Though the stories are all independent, there is mention of characters from earlier stories and it builds a nice thread. The stories set in Hong Kong China were my favourites.
Ashley
Feb 18, 2009 Ashley rated it really liked it
Great random pickup at the library. My favorite part was figuring out all the connections between the characters in the story. The people in the stories are heartachingly human and completely recognizable. Not really a light read, but I ripped through it in a couple days, a great testimony to Chiu's lovely prose and careful plotting.
Kamyia
Aug 02, 2014 Kamyia rated it liked it
it was ohkay...I liked to see different perspectives but sometimes it was really difficult to tell which character was the main for that chapter but the stories were interesting...I guess there wasn't supposed to be a real purpose besides showing the lives of various interrelated people...I would've liked to see it all come together a bit more but the ending was alright I suppose.
Emily
Jul 06, 2007 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I was in high school, I really loved Amy Tan's books. But then I recently re-read some of her books, and I realized that I didn't like them at all anymore. And while reading Troublemaker and Other Saints, I just kept flashing back to The Joy Luck Club, and not in a good way. There are a couple of decent - maybe even good - stories in this collection, but for the most part, these stories feel cliched and overdone. Most of the stories center around the typical Asian-American themes: there's t ...more
Ellen
Apr 13, 2015 Ellen rated it it was amazing
So good.
The first time I tried to get into this, it was 2005, I read the first 4 stories, and then things got kind of nuts in my personal life and eventually the book had to be returned to the library. But it always stuck in the back of my mind as a book I would like to finish. I really liked what I read of it.
So now I finally got to dig back into it. And I really wish I had read it back then. Two of the stories in particular, "Trader" and "Beauty" were ones that I think I actually would have r
Hena
I picked this up at a used book sale, figuring it would at least be a fairly interesting read. These stories definitely exceeded my expectations - the author managed to adopt the voice of several very different characters and at the same time maintain a common thread between each story. Each story was vivid and stayed with me even as I moved on to the next story.
Richard Miller
Aug 25, 2016 Richard Miller rated it really liked it
I came to the final page as I finished a second cup of coffee. Each chapter can stand in it's own. The viewpoint shifts through character and time as if reality were manipulated by a kaleidoscope. Maybe someday, when I'm smart enough, the meaning will be clear. I did thoroughly enjoy it though.
Alix
Mar 02, 2009 Alix rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written journey into the overwhelming power, pain and support of family relationships and how they determine the paths we take in our own relationships. I really loved the interweaving of story lines as different characters are introduced and developed.
Lori
Jun 11, 2010 Lori rated it really liked it
c. 2001
Interesting. Short-stories, but the characters were intertwined/related. Like this author.
Uli Vogel
Jul 08, 2015 Uli Vogel rated it really liked it
An unexpected gem.
Anuradha
Feb 25, 2007 Anuradha rated it it was amazing
One of the few books that truly captures all the facets of first generation Asian-American life.
Zuzka
Jan 08, 2013 Zuzka rated it it was amazing
What a page turner! A very intimate peek at those dysfunctional families we all hear about... Loved it!
Kelly Pow
Aug 03, 2011 Kelly Pow rated it really liked it
a collection of short stories. quite enjoyable
Sherese
Oct 28, 2007 Sherese rated it really liked it
FANTASTIC BOOK! Great Read.. I love reading about people from different ethnic backgrounds, families and their connection with one another and to the community and human kind as a whole.
Theletter12
Dec 05, 2011 Theletter12 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elisabeth
Feb 11, 2008 Elisabeth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Michelle, remember Christina? You did a signing with her in Augusta.
Vimaris
Vimaris rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2016
TinHouseBooks
TinHouseBooks rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2013
Sean
Sean rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2011
Ginni
Ginni rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2007
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Karawan
Karawan rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2007
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2007
Kasia
Kasia rated it it was ok
Nov 08, 2014
z
z rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2011
Christina Marie
Christina Marie rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2013
Rolihlahla Melitafa
Rolihlahla Melitafa rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2014
  • The Floating World
  • The Dim Sum of All Things
  • Canned and Crushed
  • The Tapestries
  • Seventeen Syllables and Other Stories (Revised and Expanded)
  • Watching the Tree