Start by marking “Humphrey's Bedtime” as Want to Read:
Humphrey's Bedtime
Preview

Humphrey's Bedtime

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Even big girls get tired sometimes.

Humphrey is busy getting ready for bed, but Lottie has far more important things to do. She has to take care of her stuffed animals and make sure they are ready for bed. Luckily, Lottie is a big girl, so she gets to stay up very, very late. But it's hard work getting all those babies ready, and even big girls get tired sometimes.

Humphre
Paperback
Published November 1st 2003 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Humphrey's Bedtime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Humphrey's Bedtime

lucem
Apr 24, 2008 lucem rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: toddler-elem school age
MY SUMMARY: Humphrey and his family are preparing for bed, youngest first and then older siblings. Oldest daughter doesn't think she needs to go to bed yet because she is a big girl.

This book has beautiful pastel illustrations by the author that will engage any toddler or school age child. The story is simple and follows normal bedtime routines that would be familiar to them. The story doesn't seem to follow a natural reading rhythm for me. It seems like an abbreviated story that skips a sentenc
Kathryn
So sweet! I found this on the bargain shelf at B&N and, after I read it, I knew it would have to come home with me. Most of the charm is in the illustrations, which made me feel so happy and cozy and peaceful. Perfect for bedtime! The story, while lacking much narrative interest (it's mostly a compilation of various activities of Humphrey and his siblings as they get ready for bed), does contain some very cute moments capturing perfectly a child's imagination with playtime and I loved the ov ...more
Rubi
It was cute. I love the illustrations!
Apparently Lottie thought she was a mommy haha
A little girl like that would be a little annoying, but I see how cute it can be too
A child's mind is a wonder :)
Lindsey
A sweet book about a family with 3 kids who are getting ready for bed. The baby goes down first, followed by Humphrey's bedtime preparations and his big sister Lottie's delays.

The illustrations are beautifully adorable and parents everywhere will recognize the chaos and sweetness of bedtime with young children.

The book is a bit incorrectly named, as there is equal (perhaps more) story devoted to Lottie than Humphrey. It's also a little disjointed and some of the narrative is actually in the pict
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Lottie knows she does not need to go to bed early; she is a big girl and she has lots of dolls and stuffed animals that need tending to. Tend she does, finally wearing down into what any parent will recognize as a small meltdown. Perfect depiction of children at bedtime. Brilliant.
Lindsey
The illustrations in this are adorable. The story is also flows better than the slightly abridged version we own (a bargain book edition). A cute story about Humphrey and big sister Lottie and their very different bedtime routines.
Sarah Stumphf
It took two nights of starting this book before my 2 year old would settle down enough to listen to the story. He was interested in Daddy coming home in the story, and he liked the pictures.
Jocelin
The best thing about the Humphrey books are the illustrations. They are sweet, simple and colorful. I think that Humphrey is a cutie, the story was a little bit of a miss for me.
Sandra
Humphrey's bedtime has arrived but as he gets ready for bed his sister has too many things to do since she gets to stay up later.
Terry
It's an easy read, with concepts & processes familiar to us all. Not to mention sibling jealousies remembered by many!
Nikki Sprader
This is my 5 year old son's favorite book. He makes me read it every night.
Daisy
A pretty dull story, but rather charming illustrations.
Alysia
Really pretty pictures and the details are so cute.
Lilith
Great drawings to the story!
Jack
Jack added it
Dec 31, 2014
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Humphrey's Corner Humphrey's Birthday Humphrey's Christmas Humphrey's Playtime Humphrey's Garden