Start by marking “Black Jack Volume 2: Two-Fisted Surgeon (Black Jack)” as Want to Read:
Black Jack Volume 2: Two-Fisted Surgeon (Black Jack)

Black Jack Volume 2: Two-Fisted Surgeon (Black Jack #2)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  563 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Lying somewhere between medical drama, cartoon humor, and film noir lies Black Jack, the ongoing adventures of an underground doctor who is the last resort for some very unusual patients. In this volume, the risk-taking Black Jack is at the mercy of a doctor after a horrible car wreck.
Published June 5th 1999 by Viz Media (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Black Jack Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Jack Volume 2

Paul
This is the first work I've ever read by Osamu Tezuka, a man regarded as the father of Japanese comics. In many ways, Tezuka set down and codified the tropes of Japanese comic storytelling, and these tropes are very evident in this volume, for better or for worse.

Black Jack is a freelance, unlicensed surgeon, traveling the country to perform superhuman feats of surgery and charging top dollar for his services. Black Jack's mercenary nature adds a nice little twist to what could have been a repet
LauraW
I am still wary of manga, to be honest. I don't quite understand its appeal for people who like to read novels. The plot seems shallow and hinges on some sort of violent action at some point, complete with "pow"s and "bam"s. But I am still trying doggedly to find out if there is really more to it than that. American Born Chinese was much better in this regard. The three story lines came together in a satisfying way and the art-work added to the story, rather than served as a motivator to keep re ...more
Trane
With the second volume of the Black Jack series, Vertical is continuing the same good work they did in volume one. Lovely graphic design and layout, quality paper, and a decent translation all serve to highlight Tezuka's excellent storytelling.

This volume contains some great stories including "The Ballad of the Killer Whale," a story in which a killer whale pays the doctor in pearls for surgery; "Emergency Shelter," a story that serves as comeuppance for a rich braggart who builds a skyscraper
Vincent
The illustration is nostalgic. I've always wondered if the exaggerated features on the characters were representative of anything (kind of like in Peking Opera where a red painted face is symbolic of a misunderstood hero).

The storytelling is good too. I like the notion of a renegade "Doctor for Hire" who hides his concern underneath enormous fees. My favorite stories are "Granny" and the "Blind Acupuncturist". There are obvious but not overbearing moral points in both. In fact, most of the stor
Jason Keenan
What's not to love about the outcast doctor who is seen as dangerous but seemingly the only one with a true moral compass. This collection of stories is a fun read that just may tune your moral compass a bit.
Emmy
More of the insane medical cases one comes to expect from a Black Jack story. A fast read, hard to put down, and very enjoyable. Looking forward to the next one :)
Sarah Jane Smith
Another brilliant volume of Black Jack! In which we learn more about Black Jack's past as well as the kind of man he is, both as a doctor and a human being. Plus! Pinoko tries to go to high school! Poor girl, no one believes she's really eighteen. Zaitoichi fans will be somewhat amused by the title character of the blind masseuse character in the last chapter; is it any surprise Tezuka would be a fan of the blind swordsman films? Those stories seem right up his alley.

My full-length review of the
Ron
Each of the stories in this medical drama is a short morality play, as a brilliant but unlicensed surgeon saves the lives of his patients but all too often bears witness to the inhumanity of others. The tone can veer wildly from story to story, and even within stories, given Tezuka's cartoonish style, but there's a sentimental streak a mile wide running through this volume, especially in stories like "The Ballad of the Killer Whale."

This volume reprints stories that include the backstory on how
Malbadeen
I'm a little surprised I finished this and even more surprised I frequently reached for it when there was a variety of other reading material around. A comic about a renegade surgeon with a tortured past and a seemingly conflicting morals, a baby/teenager/thing companion that is part synthetic, frequent drawings of the internal workings of surgery - - - ? Not typically my thing but, for whatever reason, I read it front to back with very few breaks.
Robert Beveridge
Osamu Tezuka, Black Jack: Two-Fisted Surgeon (ViZ, 1987)

Black Jack continues with more tales of Black Jack's exploits, more revelations about his past, and more exploration of the weird, weird relationship between Black Jack and his assistant/wife/ghostly pal/whatever she is. (The story of Black Jack trying to get her enrolled in school is priceless.) A fun series, and I can't wait to see where Tezuka took it after this. *** ½
Aurelio Ippandoza
These were great stories from 1970s Era Japan(this manga was written in weekly Shonen Champion from 1973-1983)the golden-age of manga.it is remarkable that you can read the entire run made possible by vertical publishing.Enjoyed reading these alot,part medical drama,part comedy(from ponoco character)it was entertaining to read.
Anthony
black jack's starting to become one of my faves; every story ends w/ a great moral or unforgettable ending that's bittersweet or sad. Love the story about the killer whale or the one where jack repays his debt by saving other people who owed him favors; love how his unlicensed doctor skills that're so fast wins ppl over
Rosa
Lots of short vignettes detailing Black Jack's feats. Even though he comes off as a selfish man only out for money and himself, he is constantly showing his kind side. Many of the stories in this collection are actually quite moving. I also love Pinoko, who frequently provides much needed comic relief.
Emilia P
Oh Tezuka. You are so good for a good time. Though these stories weren't as intensely medical as the 1st volume, that is okay, we got a Blackjack Origin story, some good time looking into the psyche of his wife/daughter and a spooky blind acupuncturist at the end. Oh it was swell.
More thanks!
Lissibith
Another solid volume. I have to admit though, there's something about Pinoko that has me torn. On the one hand, I find her very cute. On the other hand, her split age understanding thing is just sort of weird, as is her insistence that she's "the wife"
Kelly
Jun 02, 2010 Kelly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: japan, sff
Black Jack, the unlicensed doctor, is back with more adventures and philosophy in this sequel.

I actually enjoyed Volume 2 more than Volume 1. I thought the stories were a little more original - or perhaps I was just more familiar with Tezuka's style.
Colin
Feb 04, 2012 Colin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tezuka fans.
Shelves: four-star
If you like Tezuka and somehow haven't read his Black Jack stories, you can start with pretty much any of the Vertical volumes and be pretty happy with them. If you're unfamiliar with Tezuka (or even with manga), I'd recommend starting elsewhere.
esterb
This book has nine chap­ters — nine surg­eries — but none of them con­finced me I was read­ing some­thing I could like. The sto­ries, as the char­ac­ters, were shal­low. For me this book shouldn’t be allowed to call itself graphic novel.
Federiken Masters
Al nivel del tomo 1, pero si mal no recuerdo, acá entra la nenita esa a la que Black Jack le crea un cuerpo y que me resulta absolutamente inosportable. No lo suficiente como para arruinar la serie, por suerte.
Aurora
Man, these are so fun. I wish this was how medicine really worked, where you can get revenge on someone by getting extensive plastic surgery to look like their favorite pop star.
I like the stories but I think some of the drawings might be a little weird as in racial stereotypes which is not so cool. I guess it was a different time and all, but...
Phil
My first Tezuka comics, these are pretty cool stories about a rogue medical doctor-adventurer who runs around saving people in unconventional and often shocking ways.
Stacy
Jan 08, 2010 Stacy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Perhaps it's because I didn't read Vol 1 first, but I found this hard to get into - stilted and superficial, with moments of humor.
Russell Grant
Volume 2 is just as solid as the first one. No complaints from me, other then I wish these were chronological.
Mary  Goodnight
Poignant, dérangeant, fascinant... le Dr. Blackjack ne laisse toujours pas indifférent...
Cathy
Volume 2 delves more into Black Jack's past as a way to understand his present.
Peter Salva
Whimsical continuation of the Black Jack series.
Chas
see my review for book one
  • PLUTO: 浦沢 直樹 x 手塚 治虫 005 (Pluto, #5)
From Wikipedia:
Dr. Osamu Tezuka (手塚 治虫) was a Japanese manga artist, animator, producer and medical doctor, although he never practiced medicine. Born in Osaka Prefecture, he is best known as the creator of Astro Boy and Kimba the White Lion. He is often credited as the "Father of Anime", and is often considered the Japanese equivalent to Walt Disney, who served as a major inspiration during his f
More about Osamu Tezuka...
Buddha, Vol. 1: Kapilavastu (Buddha #1) Buddha, Vol. 2: The Four Encounters  (Buddha #2) Buddha, Vol. 3: Devadatta Buddha, Vol. 4: The Forest of Uruvela Buddha, Vol. 5: Deer Park