Start by marking “Knitting Over The Edge: Unique Ribs, Cords, Appliques, Color, Eclectic- The Second Essential Collection of Decorative Borders” as Want to Read:

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  390 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Nicky Epstein, one of today's hottest knitwear designers, has created a fabulous follow-up to last season's bestselling Knitting on the Edge. With hundreds of new and super edgings to try, it's a must-have in every knitting library.

Practically every knitted project needs an edging, and with her hit knitting reference, Knitting on the Edge, Nicky Epstein took the humble tra
Published October 15th 2005 by Sixth&Spring Books (first published October 6th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Knitting Over The Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitting Over The Edge

Stitch 'n Bitch by Debbie StollerKnitting Without Tears by Elizabeth ZimmermannElizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth ZimmermannThe Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns by Ann BuddKnitting Rules! by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Must-have Knitting Books
33rd out of 176 books — 158 voters
Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth ZimmermannStitch 'n Bitch by Debbie StollerKnitting Rules! by Stephanie Pearl-McPheeKnitting Without Tears by Elizabeth ZimmermannYarn Harlot by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Knitting Nonfiction
59th out of 70 books — 80 voters

More lists with this book...

penny shima glanz
With my recent surge in cowl knitting I decided to give this unique stitch dictionary another shot.. Epstein has put together a wonderful collection of over 350 borders, but there is just something missing from this collection that makes Mary Thomas' knitting book or any Walker Treasury or even 150 Knitted Trims seem a better value for a knitter's precious stash budget. I felt that few of the designs really branched out to go off and over the edge in varied ways. Sure there are only so many meth ...more
Megan
Oct 17, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
Ok "read" might be a strong statement.

This book has some lovely variations on ribbing that I might use to modify a sweater someday. Some of the edgings are difficult to imagine a use for, but are amazing pieces of engineering. Epstein is fantastic.
Marilyn
Jun 30, 2014 Marilyn rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
Interesting, but not what I am looking for at this point in time. Knitted applique patterns are difficult to find so keep this in mind if that is something you might want to investigate.
Anne
Sep 09, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
You'd think Epstein would've exhausted this topic with Knitting on the Edge, but not so. Amazingly, she has even more, and more elaborate, ways to fancify anything knitted.
Polly
Oct 08, 2012 Polly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
A follow-up to Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points & Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders, Knitting Over the Edge is equally beautiful and resourceful. The section about appliqués and colour-work are what bump this up to 5 stars, in my opinion.
Mckinley
Aug 12, 2015 Mckinley rated it liked it
Reference.
Maggie
Mar 21, 2012 Maggie rated it liked it
I checked this book out of the library along with Knitting on the Edge by the same author. I liked this one alright, but it was, as the title suggests, a little too far over the edge for me. I'm a little on the conservative side and some of these patters were just too much, but still fun to look at.
Aparna
Jan 23, 2010 Aparna rated it liked it
ok - not all the stuff in the book was something that i couldnt figure out myself that way didnt like it too much. was ok - some new ideas.
Adornable
Jan 05, 2008 Adornable rated it liked it
Shelves: diy
One can't really say they've read this book. I like the pictures, but I haven't tried any of the designs.
Lori Anderson
Sep 25, 2007 Lori Anderson rated it liked it
I loved all the patterns, but this is really for a more experienced knitter.
Christine Stanford
Sep 25, 2009 Christine Stanford rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, knitting
There are not too many edges in here that I want to do.
Rita
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Victor Canfield
Victor Canfield marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
nancy goldberg
nancy goldberg marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Renee Jones
Renee Jones rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Susanhand34gmail.Com
Susanhand34gmail.Com marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Briar Graovac
Briar Graovac marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Ruth
Ruth added it
Apr 11, 2016
Ellen Johnson
Ellen Johnson rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Ali
Ali added it
Mar 29, 2016
mergele
mergele rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Ellie K
Ellie K marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Megan Doull
Megan Doull rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
  • The Vogue Knitting Stitchionary Volume Two: Cables: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue Knitting Magazine
  • Vogue Knitting Stitchionary Volume One: Knit & Purl: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue Knitting Magazine
  • A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Victorian Lace Today
  • The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques
  • Knitter's handbook
  • Mary Thomas's Book of Knitting Patterns
  • The Knitter's Companion
  • Knitted Lace of Estonia
  • Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting
  • Handknit Holidays: Knitting Year-Round for Christmas, Hanukkah, and Winter Solstice
  • The Best of Interweave Knits
  • Sweater Design in Plain English
  • Loop-d-Loop: More Than 40 Novel Designs for Knitters
  • More Sensational Knitted Socks
  • A Gathering of Lace
  • Knitting Nature: 39 Designs Inspired by Patterns in Nature
  • Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes
Nicky Epstein is a knitting designer and author of numerous books on knitting. She is known for her creative combinations of knitting stitches, and for the colorful patterns often found in her sweaters, especially involving applique of separately knitted motifs.[1] In 2005, she was given a prestigious award by the National NeedleArts Association. In 2006, her work was featured in a retrospective f ...more
More about Nicky Epstein...