Start by marking “Turned Out Nice Again: On Living with the Weather” as Want to Read:
Turned Out Nice Again: On Living with the Weather

Turned Out Nice Again: On Living with the Weather

In his trademark style, Richard Mabey weaves together science, art and memoirs (including his own) to show the weather's impact on our culture and national psyche. He rambles through the myths of Golden Summers and our persistent state of denial about the winter; the Impressionists' love affair with London smog, seasonal affective disorder (SAD - do we all get it?) and the ...more
Published February 18th 2013 by Profile Books(GB)

To ask other readers questions about Turned Out Nice Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turned Out Nice Again

Peter Hairygardener
I like Richard Mabey but I don't like this book, my goodness does he waffle on, glad I only borrowed it from the Library
Oct 09, 2013 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This intriguing and affectionate look at the weather made me think of the varied weather we experience in the UK in a somewhat different manner. The author looks briefly at the way the weather affects how we feel – dark days make us feel quiet and depressed, sunny days cheer us up and strong winds make some people feel on edge.

The weather has a huge effect on our daily lives and it is something we all talk about. A comment on the weather is often the first thing we say to people after we say hel
Jan 25, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gorgeous breakdown of how the most seemingly innocuous of things; the weather, which most hardly give a second thought, effects and dictates every level of our daily lives. Typically Mabey with a mixture of the historic, current, scientific, artistic and biographical all bundled together in a tight, but worthwhile read.
Jul 06, 2013 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2013
This is a charming little book about the relationship between the British and the weather; the title is the greeting that two strangers will normally exchange rather then hello.

It is a very short book, on 90 pages, and it is split into five chapters. He writes about the exceptional weather moments that we have had, and also the mundane. We can go from snow one week in June, to balmy weather a week later. In the past he has suffer from depression, which he wrote about in his book Nature Cure, and
I'm not entirely sure what to make of this book. First off, however, I have no problem with it being an essay rather than a great fat tome. I particularly enjoyed his writing about 'halcyon days' and somehow the slightness of the volume fitted well with the notion of (retrospectively) fleeting experiences of joy and profound contentment. What I am not sure about though is whether ultimately the content is more slight than profound - beautiful words do not necessarily lift a book out of stocking ...more
Alex Sarll
A slim but wise volume on the British accommodation with our "whimsical" weather, what we mythologise and what we forget. Inevitably, it ends on a worried note as it contemplates the oncoming storm of climate change - compounded, for me, by reading roughly half the book either side of seeing Doggerland, an intense and hieratic dance piece on the same themes. Fingers crossed that Mabey is right, and a century hence Britons will still be muddling through and wryly greeting each other with his titl ...more
Stewart Monckton
Aug 04, 2013 Stewart Monckton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a slight – about 80 small pages – but nonetheless worthwhile consideration of weather, our relationship with it and eventually our impact on it.

If you are already a fan of the writing of Richard Mabey this will be a very familiar read. It contains sections of introspection, mainly about depression and mental illness, beautifully observed sections about the fine detail of the countryside and (in my opinion) a slightly too reverential approach to a small group of authors – in this case Gi
Janet Roberts
This is a really small book - in fact an afternoon read. It's by one of my favourite nature writers, and talks about the weather and our response to it, particularly how it affects our mental health. This is of considerable interest to Mabey as he suffers quite severely from depression.
What I particularly enjoy about his writing is the sheer poetry in his this description of a trip to a wood which was said to flood in the spring
"So, on the afternoon of 21 March, first day of spring,
Andrew Cox
An enjoyable read. Mabey can be very incisive in his writing but this is a simple, at times endearing, but a straightforward easy read. Read in an afternoon & an enjoyable afternoon at that but it wont stay in my mind.
Graham S
Apr 04, 2014 Graham S rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a waste of time! Barely a magazine article which rambles on with very little worthwhile content. Why publish such a slight piece??
Mar 18, 2013 Normfg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Richard Mabey probably the best Nature writer of the day. A tiny, beautiful, book of 90 pages, with 5 sections, in which Mabey explores our never-ending fascination with weather. Through anecdote, exquisite observation,science,cultural references, his own experience and memory, he brings a beautifully fresh view to the subject few of us tire of talking about at least once a day - our weather.
A short, read in a rainy afternoon book about how the weather impinges on the emotions and actions of people. Often quite lyrical it is an enjoyable read. The chapter, Halcyon Days, was particularly good. The phrase derives from a spell of calm November weather when it was believed the kingfisher incubated its eggs on the sea. Alkoun is the Greek for kingfisher.
Suzie Grogan
Aug 09, 2013 Suzie Grogan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is a beautiful book - an extended essay really - on our relationship with Britain's 'whimsical' (Richard Mabey's term) weather. I could read Mr Mabey all day long; he writes so lyrically and with such a passion for nature that it enthuses, informs and enchants. Loved it.
Andy Emery
Dec 29, 2013 Andy Emery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice little summary of what weather means to us and nature, in Mabey's inimitable style.
Gareth Renowden
Mar 21, 2013 Gareth Renowden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mabey explores the relationship between weather and the way we think (and write) about the world. Short, but perfectly formed, this book is exquisitely written.
Sarah England
Mar 07, 2013 Sarah England rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent little gem of a book. Terribly English, but full of fascinating facts and some sublime writing.
May 14, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Lovely book that is a perfect travel book. Could be read and re-read many times.
Apr 06, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, beautifully written little book about the weather.
Sarah Hannay
Sarah Hannay rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
Alex marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Pavel marked it as to-read
Caleb Liu
Caleb Liu rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2016
Alma marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Kate marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Graeme marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Karen Barclay
Karen Barclay rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Peter Lindsay
Peter Lindsay marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Reviewer marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
  • Dart
  • Map of a Nation: A Biography of the Ordnance Survey
  • The Wealth of Nature: Economics as if Survival Mattered
  • Sightlines
  • Shopping in Jail: Ideas, Essays and Stories for an Increasingly Real Twenty-First Century
  • Prague Pictures: A Portrait of the City
  • The Unexpected Professor: An Oxford Life in Books
  • A Kind Man
  • How to Write about Africa
  • The Living Mountain
Richard Mabey is one of England's greatest nature writers. He is author of some thirty books including Nature Cure which was shortlisted for the Whitbread, Ondaatje and Ackerley Awards.
A regular commentator on the radio and in the national press, he is also a Director of the arts and conservation charity Common Ground and Vice-President of the Open Spaces Society. He lives in Norfolk.
More about Richard Mabey...