Start by marking “Holy Smoke: A Jerusalem Mystery” as Want to Read:
Holy Smoke: A Jerusalem Mystery

Holy Smoke: A Jerusalem Mystery (Jerusalem Mystery #2)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The year is 29 C. E. and Jerusalem chafes under the Roman Empire's continued presence and oppressive rule. But in spite of that unpleasant fact of life, life goes on-but not for everyone. People die, some because it is their time, others by misadventure. One death in particular brings the City's daily routine to a halt. A badly scorched body is found behind the veil of The ...more
Published February 5th 2013 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published February 3rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Holy Smoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Smoke

Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://www.longandshortreviews.com/bo...

Holy Smoke is set in 29 CE. A murder victim is discovered in a sacred place in the temple. Who could have left the body or, indeed, was his death a result of his mere presence in this holy and restricted area?

The Sleuth (a Rabbi named Gamaliel) wastes no time considering other-worldly interference. He refers to the local doctor for forensic information on the body and pursues a logical course in unraveling events. His character is cle
Holy Smoke is the product of burning sacrificial animals. Frederick Ramsay explains the history and ritual of Holy Smoke in the most interesting way: in the midst of a mystery. Holy Smoke is the final book in a trilogy set in Jerusalem in the year 29 C.E.

Gamaliel, the highest-ranking Rabbi in Judea and his friend Loukas, a knowledgeable and trusted physician find themselves in the mist of murder and intrigue. A body is found in the holiest place in the Temple. This is no ordinary murder - the ch
Patricia
Ramsay's latest novel takes the reader to Jerusalem in the year 29 C. E. A badly scorched body is discovered behind the veil of the Holy of Holies. The Holy of Holies is the Temple's inner sanctum and a sacred place for the Jews. Only the High Priest may enter and only once a year on the Day of Atonement.

The body is discovered when a cord is sticking out from the veil of the Holy of Holies. It had been discussed that a cord should be tied around the high priest's ankle when he entered on the Day
Dina Tanners
I read the Eighth Veil (the first book in this series) on the recommendation of Maggie Anton, the author of the Rashi's Daughters series and Rav Hisda's Daughter. Anton said that although the author was not Jewish, he had an amazing understanding and knowledge of Jewish life 2000 years ago.

This book is not only a good read, but also taught me a lot about the role of the Rabban, life in Jerusalem at the time, and the rise of hul gal (opium) in the region.

I highly recommend the book.
Rose
I enjoyed the historical slant in this book and how Fred Ramsay weaves real people into a mystery set during Jesus' life. His development of the setting and how religious events played into the mindset of the day added a lot to the story. He does a good job of explaining the politics of the times--Roman, Jewish, Assyrian.

The reason I rated it a 3 stars instead of 4 is that his frequent use of contemporary words threw me out of the story at various times.
Bonnie
This is a well-written and intriguing mystery set in the time of King Herod in Jerusalem. It was a new setting for me and I enjoyed how it filled out what I'd read about that era. The author lets you figure out the clues along with the main character, so you're neither kept in the dark nor bored.
Karen
This was a very interesting mystery. I found it extremely confusing at the beginning. I was greatly helped by reading the glossary and author notes. I love that there was a map. There is an earlier book/s in the series which I have checked out of the library. I recommend this if you have a knowledge of the Bible. You will recognize some of the historical figures.
Susan
Murders and mystery in the Jerusalem of 26 CE
Stacey Marien
Stacey Marien marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
John Hanscom
John Hanscom marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Nancy Yob
Nancy Yob marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Jane Gardner
Jane Gardner marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Elle
Elle added it
Apr 22, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2013
Frederick Lucies
Frederick Lucies is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2013
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2013
Dr. Frederick Ramsay was born in Baltimore, the son of a respected teacher researcher and scientist. He graduated from Washington and Lee University in Virginia and received his doctorate from the University of Illinois. After a stint in the Army, he joined the faculty of the University of Maryland, School of Medicine, where he taught Anatomy, Embryology and Histology; engaged in research and serv ...more
More about Frederick Ramsay...
Artscape: An Ike Schwartz Mystery Stranger Room: An Ike Schwartz Mystery Choker: An Ike Schwartz Mystery Scone Island Impulse