Start by marking “A Plague of Angels” as Want to Read:
A Plague of Angels

A Plague of Angels (Sir Robert Carey #4)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  18 reviews
In 1592, dashing courtier Sir Robert Carey took up his northern post as Warden of the West March in order to escape the complications of creditors and court life. Trouble, however, dogs his heels wherever he goes. And where he goes in autumn, after the summer's misadventures in Carlisle, is back to London upon a summons from his father. Carey is on difficult terms with his ...more
Published May 8th 2012 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Plague of Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Plague of Angels

Deirdre
A fitting and rollicking climax to Chisholm's quartet of novels about Sir Robert Carey. This yarn brings him south from his usual stamping ground to London and a vivid picture is painted of Elizabethan London riddled with plague, coney catchers, intelligencers, footpads and alchemists. Along the way, she weaves a few famous figures into her tale providing delightful libels of Robert Greene and Will Shakespeare and an interesting spin on the mystery surrounding the activities of Kit Marlowe, Ingr ...more
Alison Dellit
Frankly, this was a little overstuffed. The dominant POV of Dodd was an effective way to avoid yet-another-Elizabethan-London description, but was exaggerated to the point of making Dodd seem stupid at times. Marlowe was a little too villainous, and the key villain himself a frustrating combination of untouchably politically powerful and totally politically vulnerable. My least favourite so far.
Frances Fuller
I think this is the best one I have read so far. From laughing out loud to trying to figure out complicated plans of the villain in the piece. I also look up every character mentioned on Wikipedia and she has nailed them historically from the father to the sons to the nobity at the time even to the father's mistress. The author knows her history.
Patricia
The adventures continue!! Sir Robert Carey is called home to London from the Scottish border to help with a family problem. He bring the amazing Sargent Dodd with him...and he will need someone to have his back: London is a corrupt and dangerous place. These books just get better and better. Love them!
May
This is my favorite (so far) of the Sir Robert Carey mysteries and that's saying quite a lot, as I love this series. The action moves to London, but what makes this book the shining star of the series is the crisp and complex plot, the sharp and witty dialogue, and the fully fleshed out relationships between the main protagonists. The period detail is, as always, impeccably researched and detailed, but smoothly incorporated into the book, so you never feel like you're being lectured about mediev ...more
Kirsten
This reminded me of a great book by M.J. Trow about Kit Marlowe and his spying. Marlowe does play a role with Sir Robert Carey as he looks for his older brother around London. Divided loyalties, religious allegiances, whew!
Cheryl
I loved this one since we got to meet m ore of Sir Robert's family and also because Sergeant Dodd gets a bigger piece of the action in this one. Honestly, someone should make a TV series of these (PBS Mystery maybe?) because the mysteries are solid AND they are funny - the perfect combination!
Nancy
Robert Carey and his cast of "characters" make for a good read.
Dianne
Another great novel in this fast-paced Elizabethan murder-mystery series. Sir Robert Carey is summoned to London by his father to find his missing brother. He is accompanied by Sergeant Dodd. The plot is intricate and the historic detail accurate. Much of the enjoyment comes from Dodd's reactions to London, as he is forced to abandon his comfortable homespun clothing for fashionable clothes, and his reiving instincts have to be controlled when he sees the sleek dairy herds and views the gold dis ...more
Vince
Not my favorite book of the series.
Alison
A rollicking good book, full of twists and turns and fascinating characters, including the real-life poets Greene, Marlowe, and Shakespeare (who, if Chisholm is anywhere near right in her conjectures, is NOTHING like we expected). I'm also glad I'm alive now and not then, with the threat of plague and baths once a year being the norm.
Carolyn
Great period detail, parts made me laugh out loud, interesting plot twists, three-dimensional characters. Patricia Finney, writing as P.F. Chisholm, manages to intertwine real historical characters (Will Shakespeare and Kit Marlowe, among others) with fictional characters in a believable and humorous way.
Kathy Sebesta
Set in the time of Queen Elizabeth and peopled with her court, this is a reasonably well-plotted mystery that may have a few more red herrings than might be considered fair. The characterizations are good. I'm going to finish reading the series.
scarlettraces
whips along like a top. a sharp, funny top. i don't know whether we're ever going to get more sir robert, but i'd really really like some... maybe even a happy ending with elizabeth?
Kathy
love the series and author and wish there were more coming but I do believe she took another direction or perhaps a break from elizabethan times
Scott Harris
top notch historical mystery set in the debatable lands between Scotland and England circa. 1600
Bettie☯
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Gmaharriet
Gmaharriet marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Junebuggin
Junebuggin marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Kim Archer
Kim Archer is currently reading it
May 10, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Firedrake's Eye (David Becket and Simon Ames, #1)
  • Strong As Death (Catherine LeVendeur, #4)
  • The Trip to Jerusalem
  • Dragon's Lair (Justin de Quincy, #3)
  • A Secret and Unlawful Killing (Burren Mysteries, #2)
  • The Prioress' Tale (Sister Frevisse, #7)
  • Sanctity of Hate (Medieval Mystery, #9)
  • Thirteenth Night (Fools' Guild, #1)
  • The Lost Prophecies (The Medieval Murderers, #4)
  • The Devil in Music (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #4)

Sir Robert Carey (6 books)
  • A Famine of Horses (Sir Robert Carey, #1)
  • A Season of Knives (Sir Robert Carey, #2)
  • A Surfeit of Guns (Sir Robert Carey, #3)
  • A Murder of Crows (Sir Robert Carey, #5)
  • An Air of Treason (Sir Robert Carey, #6)
A Famine of Horses (Sir Robert Carey, #1) A Season of Knives (Sir Robert Carey, #2) A Surfeit of Guns (Sir Robert Carey, #3) A Murder of Crows (Sir Robert Carey, #5) An Air of Treason (Sir Robert Carey, #6)