Start by marking “Mystery Teachings from the Living Earth: An Introduction to Spiritual Ecology” as Want to Read:
Mystery Teachings from the Living Earth: An Introduction to Spiritual Ecology

Mystery Teachings from the Living Earth: An Introduction to Spiritual Ecology

4.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  56 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The authentic teachings of the mystery schools offer a profoundly different way of making sense of the universe and our place in it. In "Mystery Teachings from the Living Earth," ecologist and Druid initiate John Michael Greer offers an introduction to the core teachings of the mysteries through the mirror of the natural world.

Using examples from nature as a touchstone, Gr
Published August 19th 2014 by Weiser Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Mystery Teachings from the Living Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystery Teachings from the Living Earth

Barry Huddleston
Oct 04, 2012 Barry Huddleston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Greer’s book. While the “laws” should be commonsense, I needed someone to say stop and reflect on life. It’s far too easy, in this modern world, to ignore what is really important in life and important about life.

I think the quote that most stood out to me was, “Any organization that demands substantial sums for teaching and initiation is engaging in the business of making money, not in the work of the mysteries.” I couldn’t help but think of several organizations that fit that
J.E.R. Prince
May 15, 2012 J.E.R. Prince rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got Questions? START HERE.

This is an excellent presentation of the 7 spiritual laws told sans sachhrine and with JMG's trademark wry wit, exhaustive research background and shrewd eye to the future.

If you think you have a spiritual calling of some kind, if you have a yearning inside you for some bigger answers, if you don't know what is the right path for you but you'd appreciate an overview - this is the book that you want. This is the book I wish I could have gotten my hands on 25 years ago wh
Nimue Brown
Sep 26, 2012 Nimue Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pagan, druids, new agers, seekers, humans, people, others
It’s rare that I’m this impressed, this enthused about a book. If you can only afford to buy one spiritually orientated book this year, make it this one. And that’s saying something, because I have 2 books out this year.

In part Mystery Teachings has evidently been written in response to the shortcomings of some aspects of New Age thinking. Anyone who has ever twitched about New Age stuff, is going to love what Greer has to say. Anyone interested in New Age material really should read this book a
Justin
Apr 25, 2013 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: environment
In general I got much more out of this book than I expected. The author is clear, the explorations generally coincide with my experience and there were points he made that were new to me and valuable. The seven laws are fascinating because there are so many natural connections between spirituality and the environment. This book does a great job making those connections deeply and in a thought provoking way. For these reasons it gets 4 stars.

However, I need to dock a point for three reasons. Fir
Ian Willis
Feb 23, 2014 Ian Willis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Greer is no B.S. If you're interested in any sort of spirituality, ANY sort, this should be your primer. It's fast, incredibly concise. It comes from a guy with a goofy title, but a long track record of being a top thinker in the worlds of peak oil, occultism, paganism, etc. And yet he consistently manages to sharply cut through all the B.S. that comes with those realms. I can't recommend this enough. Magic from limitations.
Merri-Todd Webster
In this book John Michael Greer undertakes the task of redefining and restating the Western Mystery Tradition using the principles of ecology, thus doing for that discipline what the anonymous author(s) of The Kybalion did for psychology. Along the way he explains why harming other people to one's own benefit eventually produces harm to oneself, why perpetual growth without decline is impossible, and how to distinguish a true Mystery School from an organization that just wants your money. Greer ...more
Shane
Nov 05, 2012 Shane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most lucid writer of hermetic, eco-technic, magickal and sane philosophy of this age.
Volo
Volo marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Valentina Vittori-McKinley
Valentina Vittori-McKinley is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2016
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Thomas
Thomas rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
NightOwl
NightOwl marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Kaleria
Kaleria marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Nathan
Nathan rated it liked it
May 25, 2016
Adrian Moran
Adrian Moran is currently reading it
May 17, 2016
Nina Braden
Nina Braden marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Wendy Crimson
Wendy Crimson marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Tara
Tara rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Blake
Blake marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Graham
Graham rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Kitty
Kitty rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Joel
Joel rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
David Becker
David Becker rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Tj Thompson
Tj Thompson marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Anna
Anna is currently reading it
Jan 06, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
John Michael Greer is an author of over thirty books and the blogger behind The Archdruid Report. He also serves as Grand Archdruid of the Ancient Order of Druids in America. His work addresses a range of subjects, including peak oil and the future of industrial society. He lives in Cumberland, Maryland with his wife.
More about John Michael Greer...