The Mystical Qabalah

The Mystical Qabalah

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,123 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Dion Fortune's "Mystical Qabalah" remains a classic in the field. She explores all aspects of the Qabalah-whose disciplines include the esoteric sciences of astrology and tarot, and forms the basis of the Western Mystery Tradition. Her thorough explanation of the Tree of Life, which lies at the heart of Qabalistic teaching, provides a key to the practical working of this m...more
Published September 15th 2000 by Weiser Books (first published January 1st 1957)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystical Qabalah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystical Qabalah

Eyre
A great book for those who want to delve more deeply into Tarot. Fortune's writing style is more accessible and practically oriented than is offered by most occult writers. Her work is as researched and as complex--focusing on good/evil-- as that of her male contemporaries (Crowley, eg.) She is not as hip amongst neo-occult, post-wicca circles--probably due to a cultural bias which elevates the contributions of male writers to high art (when men cook they are chefs, when they make crafts they ar...more
Steve Dotson
My favorite basic book on the 17th century Kabbalistic tree of Life. Good explanation of how the sephiroth and paths work together. Great primer for building the proper correspondences to each part of otz chiim, which then leads to the phenomenological understanding of the inner workings of the tree.
I've read this one several times, riveted all the more with every read as the concepts resonate and form a whole infrastructure.
Amanda
Forget the Qabalah you hear about from Hollywood and Madonna. This is an excellent book devoting a chapter to each of the sephiroth on the Tree of Life. Philosophically interesting regardless of your beliefs.
Gwyndyllyn
Very clear introduction to the Qabalah - for NON-Jewish mystics. It is important to note that the Qabalah is used differently in a lot of non-Jewish mysticism than it is in Jewish circles. Very good book. Focuses primarily on the Sephiroth rather than the paths. Fantastic introduction to the topic.
Ryan
Jun 30, 2009 Ryan is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am always "currently reading" this book as it is not the kind of book that one can "finish".
ShamanaeusX
This is actually the first book I've read on the Qabalah of the Western Mystery Tradition, and I'm very much glad that I began here instead of somewhere else, such as Crowley. Like most of the glowing reviews before this one, I can't recommend this book enough to the curious occultist, and especially beginners. I've been practicing Qabalistic magic for about 3 months now, and this book more than any other (besides Modern Magick by Donald Michael Kraig) has facilitated more wisdom and understandi...more
Princessjay
A clear explanation of the philosophical structure of the Hermetic Kabbalah, filled with easily-understandable but profound analogies and metaphors to point the way towards true understanding.

Dion Fortune, being a magician and psychic in the early 20th Century, clothed her discourse with much discussion of the practicum of magic. My interest being primarily to use the Kabbalah as a vehicle to aid thought, I skipped through all the discussion of invocations and ether and psychic emanations.

What i...more
Christina Croft
I love Dion Fortune but I found this book quite difficult to fully absorb and understand. Perhaps it is a life's work to understand it and I have been told this is one of the most staight forward and simple books on the subject. It is something to which I shall return, I am sure, but it is certainly not an 'easy' read, I think!!
Abe Fabella
This is a very thorough survey and guided tour through the Qabalistic Tree of Life as practiced by occultists of the Golden Dawn variety. I enjoyed it, and it really helped clarify a lot of the functionality of various Sephira including Netzach, Hod and Yesod which have always been a bit hazy in my previous perceptions of them. Kudos Ms. Fortune for illuminating me! Be warned that, although the principles of metaphysics that this book point to are eternal and do not change over time, the author'...more
Fredstrong
Dec 06, 2007 Fredstrong rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the Western Qabalah
The Qabalah is a very complex system, and one can spend liftimes studying it. This is the best introduction to what can seem overwhelming at the start.
Frater D.S.E.I.
I would have given five stars save for the Western occultist caste system sections, redundancy of many points, and lack of information on the paths.
Dav8d777
This is probably the best book on the "occult" Qabalah I ever read. The author does an excellent job of describing the qualities of the sephirah.
Quirkyreader
Read this back in the 1990's when I was writing a dissertation comparing aspects of the Kabbalah to the Mahabharata.
Barry
Dec 24, 2008 Barry marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
A perfect compliment to "The Essence of Kabbalah", a smaller volume that includes almost daily devotionals of the Kabbalistic belief system. This book, on the other hand, delves deeper into the meanings and practical uses of the kabbalistic Tree of Life and its sefirophs. Sometimes difficult (in a good way) to wrap your mind around the philosphies and ideas pertaining to this belief system, it turns out to be exactly what I've been looking for in my quest to understand this mystical system. (It...more
Niel Vaughan
A worthy mountain to endure to the end.
Misha Fredericks
I learned so much from this book and had quite a few Ah ha! moments.
Blue
I read this book many years ago when I was first being introduced to Qabalah. There seemed just enough detail to make it interesting (on re-reading it, actually there is a whole lot more that I didn't grasp at first), but not enough to confuse me, and the writing style is clear and concise. It amalgamated my lessons, brought them into perspective, really helped me to understand and whetted my appetite for more. I would recommend this to anyone getting into these teachings as a sound basis.
Rachel
I revere this book, because it is-- as others already say-- a masterpiece of clarity among its peers. It has proved utterly invaluable to me in my early studies of occultism; I now have a wealth of starter knowledge on the Sephiroth, and how to get at subjective pathworking. Also, my understanding of practices I've been engaged in for years-- tarot, astrology, etc-- have been profoundly enriched. I cannot over-emphasize the power this book instills in the mind.
Brian Montgomery
The Mystical Qabalah espouses a very practical approach to the Kabbalah. This really works for me. Dion Fortune keeps the information in a nice concise format. When I need even more detail I usually go to A Practical Guide to Qabalistic Symbolismby Gareth Knight. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to delve deeper into the Kabbalah without being overwhelmed.
Parker East
The Mystical Qabalah is far and away the best introduction to the esoteric tradition of the Kaballah available. The only exception I take is to the section on Yesod that needs updating due to out of date scientific analogies. This is a supreme reference to the West's body of mystical heritage that makes other books in the field look decidedly substandard.
Lyam Thomas Christopher
Some complain that this book is written in "the old-fashioned-style English." Well, thank the gods for that! What a breath of fresh air is Dion Fortune's ability to clothe the formlessness of Kabbalah in her readily understandible and Romantic imagination.
David L
The Starting Point. In some cases the end point. I finally understood the forces that act upon us all. The male and female, the being and nothingness and the forces that move between them that spin the universe along its way and move us. Ad Lucem.
aaa
Thankful to have had this as my introduction to hermetic qabalah. Just the right mix of depth and simplicity to allow one to move onto more complex readings and learning the relationships between sephiroth, path-working, etc.
Faye Dewell
Reading this one in bits and pieces. It's a great resource! Fantastic for delving into deeper pathworking. That said, it feels more helpful when read after or in conjunction with other, more simplified texts on the qabala.

Nubia
Maybe I need to grow a little bit more to really understand this book! I will read it again soon!

Es un libro complejo o tal vez debo madurar un poco mas para entender este libro. Lo retomare muy pronto.
Ayam Abraxas
This book is a Kabbalistic masterpiece, which I find myself frequently referring to in order to understand the characteristics of the Spherioth I am working with at any particular time.
Fiona Robson
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. I love Dion Fortune's writing style. It was a rather complex read, though, and not really for someone without a prior knowlege of Qabalah.
Brent
Dion Fortune is a wealth of occult knowledge. This is one of my favorite books on Qabalistic thought. A little more advanced than some on the subject.
Garrett Cook
Thought provoking insights into a tradition that has since become a bit of a fad. I couldn't but feel that I had selected the right book on the subject.
Terese Matheson
Black Maven: The Mystical Qabala 1 3 Aug 17, 2011 11:08AM
  • The Tree of Life: An Illustrated Study in Magic
  • 777 and Other Qabalistic Writings
  • Transcendental Magic: Its Doctrine and Ritual
  • Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot: An Authoritative Examination of the World's Most Fascinating and Magical Tarot Cards
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abra-Melin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts
  • Initiation Into Hermetics
  • Three Books of Occult Philosophy
  • The Key of Solomon the King: Clavicula Salomonis
  • Liber Null and Psychonaut: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
Violet Mary Firth Evans (better known as Dion Fortune), was a British occultist and author. Her pseudonym was inspired by her family motto "Deo, non fortuna" (Latin for "by God, not fate").

From 1919 she began writing a number of novels and short stories that explored various aspects of magic and mysticism, including The Demon Lover, The Winged Bull, The Goat-Foot God, and The Secrets of Dr. Tavern...more
More about Dion Fortune...
Psychic Self-Defense Sea Priestess Moon Magic The Secrets of Dr. Taverner The Goat-Foot God