Start by marking “School's Out!” as Want to Read:
School's Out!

School's Out! (Teacher #7)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  14 reviews
As the new school year begins, Jack Sheffield prepares for an even more eventful year than usual. A new teacher is appointed, and before long tongues start to wag.

Meanwhile, five-year old Madona Fazackerly makes her mark in an unexpected way, life changes dramatically for Ruby the caretaker and, in the village Coffee Shop, Dorothy Humpleby plans a dirty weekend.

It’s 1983 -
Published January 17th 2013 by Transworld Digital

To ask other readers questions about School's Out!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about School's Out!

I have read this book as part of the Chick Lit Group Autumn challenge, and one of the books needs to be set in a school.

It was good to read something I wouldn't normally have chosen, and on the whole I found it an enjoyable tale of a head teacher in a small Yorkshire village primary.

It's set in the 80's; the era I grew up in so it bought back some childhood memories which made me smile.

The plot was very straight forward and nice to read - it has a twist at the end which leaves you in suspense an
Sarah Jenkins
Finally finished this - after several attempts! Found it a lot harder to get into than the other books in the series and didn't enjoy it as much - not really sure why - and still want to read the next one in the series - especially after the ending left us in suspense....!!!!
Another delightful story about like at Ragley Village School. There is a few sad chapters in this one, but I won't spoil it if you haven't read it. An enjoyable and nostalgic look back at 1984 and some interesting remarks on the miner's strike and the fire at York Minster - I had forgotten that the latter was that long ago! It seems odd that we are talking about a time when computers and technology was not common place and the pace of life seemed much slower.

The book is left open ended so I am s
Caroline Frame
Reading this book brought back memories from 1984. Some of the characters remind me of children in the school I work in. Looking forward to reading the next one
Martina Lennon
Miserable Irish bank holiday and the only thing to do is read. Finished this easy to read quickly. Thank God for libraries.
Amanda Gardner
Memories..... this book took me back in time. A good little read.
I love jack Sheffield books and although I can't wait for the next one to come out, we don't progress very far with the story. I would like more story less factual information about the era. I keep feeling I am reading the same book over and over again, it is only the fact that just maybe the next one might be different that keeps me going back to read the next one.
Deirdre Vance

lovely reminiscing about life in Britain at that time when I would have been a student. looking forward to reading more by this author
School's Out was bk 7 in a series. Each book is a standalone read. Humorous stories of a Principal and parents and community in a fictious town in York. Reminded me of James Herriot.
Light, quick read.
Bit annoying the whole Jack and Laura thing. Overall the usual nostalgic wander through the 80s.
Amazing book, as good as ever!
Louise Riddleston
Another lovely village school tale..
well not my usual type of book. I read it all and it was a nostalgic read. Set
around a village school during the 80's which is the era when i was at primary school. I won't be ryshing out to find a similar book but it was a pleasant change.
Sharon Mckinlay
Sharon Mckinlay marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Helen marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Loisa added it
May 29, 2015
Sarah Tonkin
Sarah Tonkin marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Josie added it
May 25, 2015
Lisa Bentley
Lisa Bentley marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Kim Mcbreezy
Kim Mcbreezy marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Jane Chiplin
Jane Chiplin is currently reading it
Mar 18, 2015

• Village Teacher
  • Please Sir!
  • Educating Jack
  • Silent Night
Teacher, Teacher! Mister Teacher Dear Teacher Village Teacher Please Sir!