Start by marking “To Dare Mighty Things: The Life of Theodore Roosevelt” as Want to Read:
To Dare Mighty Things: The Life of Theodore Roosevelt

To Dare Mighty Things: The Life of Theodore Roosevelt

President Theodore Roosevelt is known as "the man with a plan," the "rough rider." His figure stands tall in American history; his legacy stretching him to larger-than-life proportions.

But before his rise to fame, he was just "Teedie," a boy with ambitious dreams to change the world, and the conviction to see his stupendous imaginings brought to fruition.

As an American p
Published December 17th 2013 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about To Dare Mighty Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Dare Mighty Things

Journey by Aaron BeckerThe Day the Crayons Quit by Drew DaywaltThe Dark by Lemony SnicketFlora and the Flamingo by Molly IdleMr. Tiger Goes Wild by Peter  Brown
2014 Mock Caldecott
77th out of 79 books — 225 voters
So You Want to Be President? by Judith St. GeorgeMadam President by Lane SmithJohn, Paul, George & Ben by Lane SmithThe Buck Stops Here by Alice ProvensenAbe Lincoln's Dream by Lane Smith
Picture Books About American Presidents
30th out of 83 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Holly
I LOVE how the jacket cover of this book captures the spirit of Teddy Roosevelt. I'm a fan of Doreen Rappaport and enjoyed learning more about the big personality of the 26th president. He certainly lived an extraordinary life. Great quotes, information, and illustrations.
Last Ranger
Feb 25, 2014 Last Ranger rated it it was amazing

From Sickly Child To Fearless Man.

What a stunning tribute to a "one of a kind" President: Theodore Roosevelt. Tracing TR's life in a series of images the young reader will learn that physical disabilities, like asthma, do not necessarily mean a life of failure. The study of history, especially American History, can be a daunting task and much depends on the teacher and how that teacher presents it to the student. Parents as well can find benefit and enjoyment in reading this book with their chil
Diane
Jan 11, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing
"I would rather go out of politics feeling that I had done right than stay, knowing I have acted as I ought not to."

It's refreshing to read about a politician who actually makes a positive difference in the world! One that is more concerned about doing right by his constituents. "An office holder must do his duty for the whole people, not for any party or any faction." A man who overcame childhood maladies and had a big vision for change "We are not building this country for a day. It is to last
Amy Edwards
This book is well done. Actual quotes from TR are scattered throughout, and integrated into the narrative. The oversized picture book has colorful artwork and the text complements the illustrations, which illuminate the content of the narrative well. Best of all, it includes the major information I wanted to impart to my kids about Roosevelt, his career, the Maine and ensuing war with Spain, his rise to the presidency, his family, trust-busting, conservation, and imperialist tendencies. The end ...more
Samantha
A larger-than-life picture book biography of Teddy Roosevelt. Quotes are woven into the narrative which helps readers get a feel for Roosevelt's passions and motivations.

The narrative didn't read as completely free of bias which had a tendency of taking me out of the story just when I was getting comfortable.

Back matter includes an Important Events timeline, selected reserch sources, further reading and recommended websites.

The artwork was epic and leaves a lasting impression. Grades 3-5+.
Lisa
Feb 14, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
Teddy Roosevelt came alive in the pages of this book, his tenacity and love of adventure. This is a book that can inspire young readers to learn more about history because it brought the past alive in words and pictures.
Edward Sullivan
The author and illustrator effectively bring this larger than life figure vividly to life in this accessible, boldly illustrated introduction.
Anna Wilson
Apr 25, 2016 Anna Wilson rated it liked it
Title: To Dare Mighty Things: The Life of Theodore Roosevelt
Author: Doreen Rappaport
Illustrator: C. F. Payne
Genre: Biography
Theme(s): perseverance, following your dreams, never give up
Opening line/sentence: “’Teddie,’ as he was called, coughed, sneezed, wheezed, had raging fevers, and hardly ate.”
Brief Book Summary:
To Dare Mighty Things: The Life of Theodore Roosevelt is about biography of Theodore Roosevelt’s life. The story begins with him as a sickly child dreaming of all the wonderful thing
Alex
Nov 30, 2016 Alex rated it it was amazing
Being in college now, it has been a while since I read much about Theodore Roosevelt. Thanks to my Children's Literature class, I wanted to find a historical fiction book to read, and found this story about Teddy. Filled with interesting facts and an incedible story, I got to once again read about the resilient, strong nature of Theodore Roosevelt.
Not only is the book interesting, but the illustrations are very well done, and bring life to a figure from another time. I really enjoyed learning mo
Jill
Sep 26, 2015 Jill rated it liked it
This biography of Teddy Roosevelt uses many of his own words to tell his story. Teddy Roosevelt, a sickly child, worked hard to overcome his physical limitations, and to make a difference in public life. He was certainly brave, and dedicated to reform. He was fervidly committed to conservation of natural resources. His evangelical-like crusade against big business and reputation as a “trust-buster” has stuck with him to this day. Rappaport quotes Roosevelt as maintaining, “I acted for the ...more
Maxbfunk
Mar 29, 2014 Maxbfunk added it
Shelves: nonfiction
Twin Text: Rosie Revere, Engineer by Andrea Beaty. Copyright 2013

Rationale: Rosie Revere is a brilliant young woman with a penchant for crafting and building machines with whatever she can find. By doing this she is able to find an outlet for her creativity, but that doesn't mean she is as outgoing as she is clever. To others she seems quiet, thus no one knows about her talents, until her great aunt Rosie (the riveter) helps her to discover her true self. In To Dare Mighty Things, Theodore Roose
babyhippoface
Teddy Roosevelt doesn’t care one whit what you or I think; he is going to do just what he thinks is best. That’s what I learned from this book. The man had a death wish, I think, and let me just go ahead and say it: if I worked in the White House at the time I’m afraid his children would have driven me insane. I’m pretty sure I would’ve thought, “How can he run the country when he won’t even control his own children?!”

However, I think when kids read it they’ll notice the ways Roosevelt was like
Steven
I didn't comb through all of the reader reviews on Goodreads to check for certain, but did anyone notice the rather significant factual error in this book? If you didn't, don't feel bad, the School Library Journal and Booklist missed it too.

Here is the passage in question:

"Roosevelt wanted to buy land in Panama
to build a canal connecting the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans.
Panama's government refused.
When a local revolt started in 1903,
Roosevelt sent troops to help the rebels.
The rebels won."

It was
Chad Adams
To Dare Mighty Things was a very interesting book starting from the cover page. The cover page had a big picture of Teedie Roosevelt on it with a big hat on and the title of the book in the back. To me this showed me that the author really cared about the person in the book. The book took us through the life of Roosevelt from when he was a little boy and through his days in politics.

The story had quotes from president Roosevelt himself which I thought were extremely cool. That myself made the b
Katelyn Scharmer
Apr 14, 2016 Katelyn Scharmer rated it really liked it
This book is all about Theodore Roosevelt from his childhood all the way to when he died. It explains how he was a very weak man and was not supposed to live very long. He ended up living longer than his mother and wife which tore him apart. He had a kid and he was eventually president before he died.

This was a longer picture book because it took a while to finish it but there were pictures on every page. The historical context is provided and accurate. I know this because I did some research af
Helen
Apr 28, 2014 Helen rated it really liked it
Children's book on the life of Theodore Roosevelt, from childhood to death. It doesn't shirk on the sad parts of his life, namely the death of his first wife Alice, nor the times he failed, like running for president under the Bull Moose family. Each page has a direct quote from Roosevelt in relation to whatever part of his life was on the page, and that was a nice touch. The illustrations are humorous and lovely.

I read this particular book to my seven year old, and he seemed to really like the
Amy
Apr 01, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrensbio
There is just enough here (although my older brain wished for a bit more) to introduce young children to the mighty Theodore Roosevelt!

It is very well done! The illustrations are spot on, and the text is even better. The smaller font tells the story, while the words in bigger type are direct quotes from Mr. Roosevelt, himself.

Some of the quotes that made an impact to this reader:

"We are not building this country for a day. It is to last through the ages."

"Our aim is to control business, not stra
Julia Erlanger
Feb 03, 2015 Julia Erlanger rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Gorgeous illustrations, mixing between vast landscape pieces, zoomed in action-scenes (the Roosevelt children playing in the White House is particularly hilarious) and symbolic pictures echoing early political cartoons. Frankly, the illustrations carry this book. The text includes lots of simplified quotes from Roosevelt, and covers his life from a small child to his death. I have to admit, this book taught me things I didn't know about him, and made me appreciate him more, considering he's one ...more
Yvonne
I love all things Teddy Roosevelt he is by far my favorite US President. Doreen Rappaport through quotes by Teddy and her own text paints a larger than life portrait. Roosevelt was responsible for reigning in business so that the little guys had an equal opportunity at the American Dream, he cleaned up the meat packing industry, he created our National Parks system, and he started the end of child labor. These were just a few of his many accomplishments and what he gave to the future of this ...more
Trish
May 27, 2014 Trish rated it really liked it
It is amazing how much information is conveyed in so few lines with vivid full page illustrations. Doreen Rappaport's picture-book-formatted biography covers Theodore Roosevelt's life from birth to death, and incorporates numerous quotes by him. The illustrations by C.F. Payne seem to be larger than life, just like Teddy Roosevelt was. This could be used as an introduction in classes from third grade on up. It may entice readers to try more in-depth biographies of Theodore Roosevelt. It is a ...more
Elizabeth Keisling
This book would be used in a 3rd grade social studies class. In this book they learn about the President of the United States, and the effect Theodore Roosevelt had on our National Parks and the Midwest.

As a twin text I would read My Name is Not Alexander by Jennifer Fosberry. This book would also tie in with the social studies lesson because we can see other famous men and their roles in changing the United States.

Fosberry, J., & Litwin, M. (2011). My name is not Alexander. Naperville, Ill.
My sister kindly checked this out from the library for me because she knows of my obsession with and undying love for Theodore Roosevelt. Full of great quotes from the man himself with their context explained. The illustrations depicting scenes from his life are beautiful, and though the heads of each figure are disproportionately large it's somewhat endearing and expresses TR's larger than life character. I think it's a great introduction for elementary school children (ages 8-11) but is nice ...more
Melissa
Mar 08, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-nonfiction
A fascinating figure and such gorgeous art made this a terrific historic story. The quotes on every page make you really feel his joie de vivre. His contributions to preservation and rise above partisanship are impressive. Pretty funny how each institution was pleased to see him move on! He must have been incredibly intense! His sheer determination to overcome his poor health is a great lesson as well.
Amy
Aug 09, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it
Like the other Doreen Rappaport biographies, this one hits all the right marks. Simply and clearly told, the book strips the story down to its essentials while keeping the vivacity. The illustrations by C.F. Payne in soft natural hues are bold in composition. Quotes by Teddy Roosevelt are in a large font, which flavors this book with authenticity while the text fills in the back story. Great intro for elementary school ages into the life of Teddy Roosevelt and America in the early 1900s.
Great Books
Feb 18, 2015 Great Books rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family
As a child “Teedie”, Teddy Roosevelt, had asthma and was sickly. He collected animal and bird specimens, as well as live animals that appeared in unpredictable places throughout the Roosevelt home. While at Harvard he kept a giant tortoise in his room. President Teddy went on to sign a treaty to build the Panama Canal and became the first American to Win the Nobel Peace Prize. Fantastic illustrations! Reviewer 27
Naomi
Aug 10, 2016 Naomi rated it did not like it
Ugggg, this book was HORRIBLE and the get them while they're young propaganda against Republicans. Simply trifling because it was SO obvious! Here is a newsflash to the author...he was tough on both political parties due to corruption, particularly while in New York, but don't let those pesky facts get in the way when writing propaganda!

What is sad is that Teddy Roosevelt did have an excellent story to tell, but this was not the author to do it.
Liz
Sep 14, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Another great Rappaport picture book biography--full of the spirit of Teddy Roosevelt. Illustrations are well done and the cover is amazing. So many interesting tidbits to learn about this adventurous man and former president. (And I'm watch the PBS special on the Roosevelts as I type this!) I enjoyed the quotes sprinkled throughout and the back matter contains selected research sources, important events timeline,and sources for more information.
Chelsea Couillard-Smith
Rappaport's bio finally brings across the gregarious personality of Roosevelt that made him such a magnetic and memorable figure. I've always thought Roosevelt was interesting, but Rappaport's writing really emphasizes his forcefulness and his enthusiasm for life. His set backs and perhaps less-than-popular decisions are all there, as is his rich family life. A great introduction to a truly fascinating figure - the cover says it all.
Chrissy
Mar 13, 2014 Chrissy rated it really liked it
I love these biographies where the full front cover is nothing but a large picture of the subject, and this one is great. Roosevelt's face is so jolly, so can almost hear him laughing. The book is a good mix of specific facts and short quotes to give kids an idea of what kind of man he was. Never mind his politics, his personality and his defense of our natural places make his one of my favorite presidents.
Chelsea Cotton
Jun 10, 2014 Chelsea Cotton rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-689
The illustration on the jacket cover is the perfect representation for the brilliant, noble, likable man, Theodore Roosevelt. This biographical book begins with Teddy as a young boy. Despite any struggles (including illnesses) that get in his way, Teddy is a dedicated young boy, nothing can bring him down. His high spirits shine through his quotes that are incorporated into this book. A great read!
  • Thomas Jefferson: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Everything
  • Daredevil: The Daring Life of Betty Skelton
  • Noah Webster and His Words
  • Miss Moore Thought Otherwise: How Anne Carroll Moore Created Libraries for Children
  • The Tree Lady: The True Story of How One Tree-Loving Woman Changed a City Forever
  • A Home for Mr. Emerson
  • Papa Is a Poet: A Story About Robert Frost
  • Who Says Women Can't Be Doctors?: The Story of Elizabeth Blackwell (Christy Ottaviano Books)
  • Becoming Babe Ruth
  • Hello, I'm Johnny Cash
  • Mr. Ferris and His Wheel
  • The Mad Potter: George E. Ohr, Eccentric Genius
  • Henri's Scissors: with audio recording
Doreen Rappaport has written many books of fiction and nonfiction for young readers, specializing in thoroughly researched multicultural history, historical fiction, retellings of folktales and myths, and stories of those she calls the "not-yet-celebrated." Among her recent books is MARTIN'S BIG WORDS: THE LIFE OF DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR., illustrated by Bryan Collier, which received a ...more
More about Doreen Rappaport...