Start by marking “A Window over the Sink: A Memoir” as Want to Read:

A Window over the Sink: A Memoir

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  18 reviews
HARDCOVER
Published April 1st 1981 by Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about A Window over the Sink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Window over the Sink

Autumn
I read this book so often when I was a kid that I grew up to be Aunt Liz Noah, basically. How about that?
Josephine
I'll have to reread it to be sure, but I would argue that Bracken is not here being "mean-spirited", as I saw one of the other reviewers called her in A Window over the Sink. Or rather she's not being any more mean-spirited than she was in any of her other books...and yes, she did write things other than I Hate to Cook Book. Which itself was, in tone, quite like this: not mean but perhaps a bit sardonic. (And for those who don't like to hear authors' true voices, for heaven's sake DON'T read Bet ...more
Kezia
While few of my generation probably know the name Peg Bracken, those who do think of her as a cookbook author. To me she is iconic, and way ahead of her time for the early 60s.

Consider the occasional writer today who comes forward and expresses her ambivalence about having children, or brave women who confess in blogs that becoming a mother hasn't been all sunshine-and-roses. Bracken did something similar -- she was among the first to publicly say being a housewife (cook, housekeeper, and inden
Pat
Memoir. Cute and funny.
Revolves around kitchen makeover.
Lots of family and childhood stories.
Megan
She's someone I wish I could have known.
jimtown
I found this discarded library book at Goodwill and decided it would be maybe fun and interesting to read. The author, Peg Bracken has written several other books, the most widely known probably The I Hate to Cook Book. A Window Over a Sink, I assume was written in her later years as it hints at her being a young adult during WWII. This book was copyright 1981.

I like her style. She writes with plenty of humor and a dash of self-depreciation. I tend to do that too when I write. This is a memoir o
Emily
More mean-spirited than I remember Bracken being. I almost gave up on it but decided to persevere and am glad I did, because it ended up giving me an interesting glimpse into women's lives in recent history in America. I enjoy discovering how we have and haven't changed.
Violet
This book was hard for me to "get into," but I enjoyed reading it whenever I picked it up. Peg Bracken writes like the witty tell-it-like-it-is aunt, a tone I really appreciated, even if the conversational nature of the book made it hard to really get hooked in.
I enjoy Peg Braken's writing style. She is funny and entertaining as she relays bits and pieces of her life. However, she wanders from subject to subject in a way that feels choppy, rather than cohesive. I never felt that way about other books of hers.
Kate
Oct 04, 2010 Kate rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: memoir
A collection of reminiscences about coming of age in a small midwestern town, each loosely linked to something domestic, like a particular meal or housekeeping habit. Light and cozy. I kept it by my bed and read it when other books seemed too demanding.
Caron
This was interesting in many ways, but not as good as I wanted it to be. I'm glad I read it and will happily pass it along to a friend.
Karen
I had forgotten about Peg Bracken until I saw this book at a used book sale. Her "The I Hate to Cook Book" was a favorite of mine years ago and I thoroughly enjoyed her sharp wit and honesty here.
Julie
I really like Peg Bracken. She has a bit of a quirky sense of humor and writing style that makes you feel like you're talking with a friend.
Mary
This was kind of like visiting with Erma Bombeck's older but wiser sister. Pleasant enough, but I prefer her "I Hate to Cook" book series.
Holly Wood
It's taking me a while to get through this, but it's kind of charming. There are fun stories and even a few recipes the author shares.
Molly
Hard to find, but one of the best books I've ever read. Truly touching and humorous all at the same time!
Vicky
Jul 15, 2009 Vicky added it
My favorite book in the whole wide world!
Butterflycager
My all-time favorite memoir.
Collette
Collette marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Karen-leigh
Karen-leigh marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Mindy Jones
Mindy Jones marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The I Hate to Cook Book The Compleat I Hate to Cook Book The I Hate to Housekeep Book Appendix to the I Hate to Cook Book I Try to Behave Myself. Peg Bracken's Etiquette Book