Blank-133x176
La Filosofia Y El Espe...

Richard M. Rorty

La Filosofia Y El Espejo De La Naturaleza/Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature (Teorema Serie Mayor)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,502 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Una sensacional "deconstruccion" desde sus propios supuestos, de la moderna filosofia analitica, y tambien de la concepcion tradicionalmente aceptada de la filosofia. El texto presenta un panorama de conjunto y una critica seria de los grandes pensadores analiticos, como Quine, Davidson, Kuhn o Kripke, en contraste con las corrientes mas interesantes de la filosofia contin...more
Published June 30th 2004 by Ediciones Catedra S.A. (first published January 1st 1979)

Be the first to ask a question about La Filosofia Y El Espejo De La Naturaleza/Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature

David
Five stars doesn't mean I agree with the whole book, naturally. But I really love Rorty's style here. Big ideas, challenging ideas, yet as a non-specialist I was able to follow much (dare I say most?) of what he wrote. I'm also very sympathetic to his argument, that philosophy needs to abandon its quest to be the grounding mode of inquiry for all else, and the related argument that all modes of knowing need to strive for humility and recognition of the fact that they are ways of knowing and (alm...more
Andrew
It should be said, firstly, that I am an avowed pragmatist and as such am a welcome audience to a book such as this. Other readers who more specifically follow the Anglo-American philosophical tradition might feel rather differently. But I found it to be a spirited defense of an alternative to that particular philosophical mission, an alternative that quite simply throws out a lot of the major theoretical problems of the past 250 years as being language games.

My principal failure as a reader was...more
James Klagge
I have just finished reading this for the second time, having used it now twice as a book in my Metaphysics seminar (the first time was 17 years ago). I don't really like the book or its viewpoint, but it is a good object for reflection. The book itself offers a take on the history Western Philosophy as mostly a series of various attempts to see truth as a kind of mirroring and to anchor knowledge in correspondence with the world, and then to offer the author's contrasting view of truth as no mo...more
Joseph
Really Interesting. I'm a bit skeptical of Rorty's take on the history of Philosophy, it seems to me to be a masterwork of editing, rather than a clear story about how philosophy has progressed. Nevertheless, I think that there is a pretty interesting case made against correspondence theory. Of particular value are the last two chapters on Hermeneutics vs. Epistemology, and the role of the philosopher as concerned with "edification."
James
Recommended for people who have taken the time to learn the language of hardcore analytic philosophy but want to dissolve the problems anyway. The middle 200 pages of this were a real slog - his impulse is more moral than philosophical, but he pays lip-service to the analytic tradition by using it to prove, basically, that everybody between Descartes and Dewey was a big dum-dum.
manwithoutqualities
The enfant terrible of analytical philosophy. I don't buy into it but still kind of like some aspects of it and of course his co-option of Oakeshott's metaphor of conversation. I think RR's reputation has been tarnished by him being uncritically assimilated into places where there is no philosophical culture.
Joshua Nomen-Mutatio
I’m apprehensive/skeptical about it but all of the hullabaloo seems worth checking out all the same, even if only to know precisely what’s wrong with Rorty’s take.

From a film on Rorty:

&

Awet Moges
A mind-blowing work of philosophy that spells the end of an era: epistemology and for that matter, analytic philosophy. If you're into late 20th century philosophy you can't go wrong with Richard Rorty.
Clint
Fantastic. Redescribes the history of philosophy in light of the criticisms of Wittgenstein, et. al. and presents an alternative vision of a philosophy based on conversation rather than epistemology.
eesenor
Rorty's updating of Pragmatism includes discussions of how the views of Heidegger and Wittgenstein intersect with that tradition.
Joe W.
A genius. Not Gadamer but a chatty solution to reason's demise nevertheless.
Sam L
This was excellent. A bit of a tour through 20th Century (mostly analytic) philosophy with special attention to Sellars, Quine, Davidson, and Kuhn, and the way their arguments (particularly in combination) catastrophically undermine the idea of 'representation', and epistemology as an attempt to account for how the mind can represent reality. I tried writing something a bit more cogent than that but I'm still digesting it, and suspect I will be for some time. One of the best big picture books I'...more
Marwa
Something good narrator
Benjamin
I give 5 star reviews to anything I've read that made me seriously reflect on an issue rather than just being an interesting read. Good or bad, right or wrong, Rorty made me do that with this book.

Part-analytic, part-continental, and attempting to dismiss those unhelpful titles in the process, Rorty dismantles the history of epistemology as the perceived backbone of modern thought. He not only tries to show how the particular concerns of our day have emerged from some specific moves in philosoph...more
Tylor Lovins
Rorty's book is a must read if one wants a cogent critique of traditional philosophy, in light of American pragmatism (Dewey, Williams, etc.), Wittgenstein, and Heidegger. Rorty's book gives a perspicuous account of the history of philosophy (in terms of empistemology, the mind, rationality, etc.) and in his conceptual clarification shows the import of some of the ideas, while discarding most of them in a thoroughly pragmatist fashion. Although, as a Wittgensteinian, I don't approve of the way i...more
Dan Geddes

See review at: http://www.thesatirist.com/books/mirr...

The chief target of Rorty's work is the notion that epistemology is the arbiter of what is rational in Western cultures. He sees this as an outgrowth of Descartes' project of grounding the new science on a new base of certainty. This new base was the idea of mind, a somewhat ineffable entity that "mirrors" reality with various degrees of accuracy. Kant embellished this notion by describing mind as something that adds to reality in the proces...more
Jon Stout
Aug 19, 2007 Jon Stout rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pragmatists, Relativists
Shelves: philosophy
It's a rare philosopher who can talk about the commonality among Martin Heidegger, John Dewey and Ludwig Wittgenstein, but Rorty does it. He argues the counterintuitive point that there is no truth out there (contrary to the X-files), which leads to his being charged with being a relativist. He is better than that, however, and finds a pragmatic middle path between absolutism and relativism.
Matthew
Only really for the philosophers among you, but this iconoclastic book is well written and ballsy. His arguments are thin in places and he doesn't always play fair. However, he does have a knack for making the 'dialectics' of the history of philosophy seem like they flow up to and through him, the 'corrector' of bad pictures.
Eric
Carrying the twin banners of pragmatism and post-modernism, Richard Rorty lays siege to the analytic philosophical tradition. I didn't understand some of the major arguments Rorty made in this book, and perhaps because of this I remain a realist.
Dax
I was a bit disappointed by this book. I expected from everything I read about Rorty that I would like his books, but I think in the end they turned out to be too artsy-fartsy for me and not based on sound reason like Popper.
Patrick Smith
Jul 08, 2009 Patrick Smith added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
A powerful treatise and an enduring influence. Rorty really throws down the gauntlet here.
John Doe
I want to read this next? Anyone want to join me? We could talk about it, etc.
Amilcar Paris
Que la epistemología dualista no es más que un juego del lenguaje
Michael
A little more systematizing would have been even more edifying.
Nabil
I've only read pieces.
David
The most important work of contemporary philosophy I read as a student. Rorty attempts to show a common pathway between the American, British and Continental traditions in 20th century philosophy. An ambitious project without doubt, but part of Rorty's appeal is that he's more than happy to tilt at windmills. Does he succeed?

If the measure of success is to have generated conversation between these previously three isolated camps then the answer is a resounding yes. There are certainly details th...more
Sunita Gaikwad
Sunita Gaikwad marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Calvin
Calvin marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Stephen Bank
Stephen Bank marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Kate Elliott
Kate Elliott marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
  • Word and Object
  • The View from Nowhere
  • Naming and Necessity
  • Reasons and Persons
  • Truth and Method
  • How to Do Things with Words (William James Lectures)
  • Against Method: Outline of an Anarchistic Theory of Knowledge
  • Sources of the Self: The Making of the Modern Identity
  • The Blue and Brown Books
  • After Virtue: A Study in Moral Theory
  • The Concept of Mind
  • On the Plurality of Worlds
  • The Philosophical Discourse of Modernity: Twelve Lectures
  • Time and Free Will
  • The Foundations of Arithmetic: A Logico-Mathematical Enquiry into the Concept of Number
  • Phenomenology of Perception
  • The World as Will and Representation, Vol 2
  • Either/Or, Part I (Kierkegaard's Writings, Volume 3)
Richard Rorty (1931–2007) developed a distinctive and controversial brand of pragmatism that expressed itself along two main axes. One is negative—a critical diagnosis of what Rorty takes to be defining projects of modern philosophy. The other is positive—an attempt to show what intellectual culture might look like, once we free ourselves from the governing metaphors of mind and knowledge in which...more
More about Richard M. Rorty...
Contingency, Irony, and Solidarity Philosophy and Social Hope Achieving Our Country: Leftist Thought in Twentieth-Century America Consequences of Pragmatism: Essays 1972-1980 Objectivity, Relativism, and Truth: Philosophical Papers (Philosophical Papers (Cambridge)) (Volume 1)