Start by marking “American Story: A Lifetime Search for Ordinary People Doing Extraordinary Things” as Want to Read:

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  39 reviews
The host of the NBC "Today Show"'s popular segment shares his favorite stories of citizens making a difference around the country
For the six million people who watch the Emmy Award-winning "American Story with Bob Dotson" on NBC's "Today Show," Bob Dotson's reports celebrate the inspirational stories of everyday Americans. Dotson has been crisscrossing the country for mor
Published March 26th 2013 by Viking Books (first published March 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about American Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Story

Kim
I received this book from a giveaway here on Goodreads. I entered because I liked the premise of the book and felt it would be a good read. I was wrong.

It's a great read.

Bob Dotson takes you on a journey across the country and beyond to meet some of the nameless heroes and tireless givers of hope that help to make others shine. When I read a book, I tend to read some and then skim a sentence or two. I could not do it with this book. His stories held the right mixture of detail and truth that ke
Donna
The stories were very good but I had a hard time following along...there wasn't a lot of detail but I guess most of the people he interviewed didn't want to be in the spotlight. I never saw his spots on the Today Show but think I may have enjoyed watching them better than reading about them. It still was very inspiring and nice to read about these extraordinary people and how they help others!
Cindy
A little bit "dry". The stories seemed to run-on from one to another. Did not live up to my expectations. I was hoping for more.
Gerald
Bob Dotson captures multiple glimpses of Americana in this very small volume which, though generally overlooked, are worthy of the highest praise. An un-employed truck driver took a job cleaning medical tools. Armed with only a high-school education and his innate ability, he began tinkering with those tools and soon perfected some of the earliest tools for microsurgeries. This led to his teaching surgery for more than 30 years.

Bob tells the tale of a young New York couple -- the Dwyers -- who
Don Weidinger
seeking solutions from those seldom asked, lottery for college, its so far away the mind is your best friend—island, quiet and listen for more, humor overcomes apathy quicker, dead chicken marketing, not do what like—like what do, persistence and patience, start everyday with nothing, adventure where resistance, Alaska dragon slayers, everything a variation of past patients, make a deal with heart/trust for lifetime, no try just do, all called to be Saints, sow seeds for good, birth is victory o ...more
Gary
You'd swear this book had been written by Charles Kuralt.
Ken Kugler
American Story, A Lifetime Search for Ordinary People Doing Extraordinary Things, by Bob Dotson, was an inspirational story. If you love watching cute puppies or kitten videos on You Tube you are going to love this. This book is made up of short stories strung together about inspiring people and how they helped others,overcame great odds, or influenced others.
So many times you only hear the bad goings in in the world. It was really nice reading about people who have done things for the desire o
Jennifer Hurley-coughlin
I highly recommend this book. While the writing is "old school journalism," I was entranced by the stories of real people. Yes, it made me laugh and cry. I even thought that some excerpts would be wonderful nonfiction to use in the classroom. However, the stories are forced to all flow from one to the next with contrived transitions that remind me of my journalism classes in college. That being said, this type of journalism is a dying breed and it made me nostalgic.
Traci Hall
The content of this book was uplifting. You see so many examples of people doing the right thing, helping others, and making a difference in the lives around them. It inspires you. The only difficulty I had with this book is sometimes things needed to be explained a bit better. You weren't always sure who the narrator was referring to, or when a new story started. But dealing with a bit of confusion occassionally does not take away from the message of the book.
I listened to this on cd. I liked it a lot, but by the end I was a bit worn out. I would have liked a few more in dept stories rather than such short snippets all the time. But I found myself telling people stories from this book as I listened. I also felt inspired to live a big life, and influence those around me. To be part of the real America.
Bernadette
Along the lines of a Chicken Soup for the Soul book, with a patriotic theme. Dotson expands his television interview stories and has found some amazing stories to tell. An OK read that maybe tries a little too hard to string the stories together in thematic chapters. Dotson shows a reporter's love for finding unique stories in unexpected places.
Kathy
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Great book! Really puts the focus on the good that people still do in this country, even though it's not on the news. Makes me wonder why it's not! A lot of editing/grammar errors, but I had an "Advance Uncorrected Proof" copy so hopefully they found them all and fixed them!
Sandi Burch
A ***** star review for "American Story: A Lifetime Search for Ordinary People Doing Extraordinary Things" by Bob Dotson

"American Story: A Lifetime Search for Ordinary People Doing Extraordinary Things" is a deeply moving and endlessly fascinating alternative narrative for everyone who yearns to feel good about America!
Nancy
I loved the individual stories, but often found myself looking for more - and in some rare cases, less. The theme was there, but at the end I struggled to find that one story to use as an example when talking to folks aabout the book. There are gems that you need to go back and think about.
Lulu
A refreshing reminder about everyday, unsung heroes who all too often go unnoticed. These are the Americans we should be championing in the news rather than paying attention to Miley's latest meltdown or a Kardashian's latest divorce. An inspiring read.
Alyssa
I saw this after reading a newspaper article based on one of his "American Stories", and it was an enjoyable, quick, light-hearted read. It read quickly and was a feel-good book. Definitely the kind of book I'd buy my dad for gift.
Adrian Jackson
Great stories! What a celebration of the American spirit. I enjoyed the colloquial tone of the story and the little bio bits from the author. I highly recommend this book whether you're a fan of Bob Dotson or not.
Theresa
I really enjoyed all of the stories in this book. My only criticism is that it probably could have been organized a little better! It felt a little all over the place.
This is a feel good read about people Bob Dotson has meet in his career. It was an easy read with some really interesting stories.
Andrew Setters
A fantastic read. Not only an inspiring take on the American spirit, but a inspiring to me as a journalist.
Steve
Great book!!! Very, very inspirational. Tons of stories of just regular people.
Sherry Griffin
Good parts but a bit boring. Not completely happy with it. Parts of it are nice to read.
April Hannah
A lovely collection of stories--a fun, feel-good read. Recommended!
Sandra
A fun read which leaves me with hope for the United States,
Kate
If you love Bob Dotson's American Story segments on NBC, you will equally love this book! Dotson's American Story: A Lifetime Search for Ordinary People Doing Extraordinary Things is a refreshing, feel good book. Most of us are constantly bombarded by negative stories in the media, but American Story is a delightful reminder that there are so many good people around us trying to make the world a better place. American Story is a celebration of the everyday unsung hero. I loved this book so much ...more
Susan Copas
Just did not keep my interest stopped on page 25.
Melanie
I love the idea that everyone has a story!
Kathy Itson
A wonderful good feeling book.
C
May 21, 2013 C marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended in NF Webinar
Sharon
listeded to this on audio as read by the author. I enjoy stories about people who do interesting, forgiving, charitable, thoughtful, considerate, hopeful things (or any combination of those). This might have been better reading than listening. Dotson's presentation style uses a little too much hesitation to hold my interest. Instead of listening to content, I found I was listening to predict when the reader would use hesitation in his speaking.
  • Strange Stories, Amazing Facts
  • But Mama Always Put Vodka in Her Sangria!: Adventures in Eating, Drinking, and Making Merry
  • The Golden Shore: California's Love Affair with the Sea
  • The Instruction: Living the Life Your Soul Intended
  • Shadow of the Piper
  • Eleven Sundays
  • The Letters of Arthur Schlesinger, Jr.
  • SaltWater
  • Winds of Promise (Wayward Wind Series, # 1)
  • Civil Law in America: A Minimalist Law Book
  • Laura Ingalls Wilder: Young Pioneer (Childhood of Famous Americans)
  • Appalachian Carnival