Start by marking “The Buffalo Knife” as Want to Read:
The Buffalo Knife

The Buffalo Knife

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Nine-year-old Andy and his family brave natural and man-made dangers during a perilous thousand-mile raft trip down the Tennessee River.
Published September 1st 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Buffalo Knife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Buffalo Knife

Hannah
Read this in middle school or high school, long enough ago that I can't remember much about it. I wrote that it was pretty good. I probably picked it up because the library was out of speculative fiction (that I hadn't already read recently). Considering it was outside my preferred genera, and probably paced more of the 50's instead of the 90's, it seems pretty high praise from teenage me.
wally
this is one of earliest stories i recall reading...2nd grade...mrs burge, our teacher...a gunslinger...she was missing two fingers from one of her hands...a sewing factory accident...

...and...this was a library copy that i read, making that journey down the river...or was it up? indians...all that daniel boone, davey crockett stuff...danger at every turn...overcoming obstacles...hoo-rah.

i recall now another book...one w/a drawing of honest abe on the back....and no recall, me, what story that wa
Diane
Jan 19, 2013 Diane rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: boys ages 7-10
Told from the perspective of an eight-year-old pioneer boy, a story about two families making their way down a river on a log raft to establish a new settlement on the frontier. They pass through rapids and hostile Indian territories. It will give kids an idea of the kinds of things experienced by young pioneers. There are other books by the same author, who was born in 1915 and probably grew up hearing first hand tales of frontier life from his grandparents. And keep in mind, moms, that boys of ...more
Susan
I think if I were in 3rd or 4th grade, I might like this book better. It's a short historical novel about two families journeying down the Tennessee River on a flatboat in 1782. They meet hostile Indians, terrible rapids, snakes, bears, etc. It's told from a nine-year old boy's point of view.
Janice
As a child I loved this book and all of William O. Steele's. I gave it to my nephew when he was in fourth grade. I then reread it. I loved frontier stories whether they were girl or boy characters.
Michael Papineau
The William O Steele books were great reads when I was a kid. Well written and full of adventure.
Linnea
I read this for my daughter's library (parent review). It was a good good kids book.
Denise
Another great story by William Steele.
Karen Gagnon
Karen Gagnon marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Merrie
Merrie added it
Apr 28, 2015
Gabrielle Jones
Gabrielle Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
B
B marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Crissy
Crissy marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Trevor Lattimer
Trevor Lattimer marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Tana
Tana marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Anna
Anna added it
Jun 04, 2014
Leah
Leah added it
May 19, 2014
Boys
Boys marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Kim
Kim added it
Apr 28, 2014
Cliff Bagwell
Cliff Bagwell is currently reading it
Mar 24, 2014
Drew
Drew added it
Mar 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The Perilous Road Winter Danger We Were There with the Pony Express The Story of Daniel Boone We Were There on the Oregon Trail