Start by marking “The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling, #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling #1)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  33,222 Ratings  ·  5,346 Reviews
Her throne awaits . . . if she can live long enough to take it.

It was on her nineteenth birthday that the soldiers came for Kelsea Glynn. They’d come to escort her back to the place of her birth – and to ensure she survives long enough to be able to take possession of what is rightfully hers.

But like many nineteen-year-olds, Kelsea is unruly, has high principles and believ
Published July 17th 2014 by Bantam Press (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Queen of the Tearling, please sign up.

Krystyna It is both actually. If you are a mature young adult that can handle issues like rape and violence (there isn't as much as people make it out to be,…moreIt is both actually. If you are a mature young adult that can handle issues like rape and violence (there isn't as much as people make it out to be, but still prominent), you can read it. Most teenagers I know are actually really good at handling reading issues about such things.(less)
Clara Hi! I don't think I would call it like Game of Thrones. It has a lot of politics in it, and the consequences of everything the main character chooses…moreHi! I don't think I would call it like Game of Thrones. It has a lot of politics in it, and the consequences of everything the main character chooses to do as a queen. It has some violence, but you can't really compare it to the show, it's not gory. I loved this book! It was so interesting and so realistic, I had really high expectation and it did not disappoint!(less)
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund HodgeAlienated by Melissa LandersStolen Songbird by Danielle L. JensenThe Murder Complex by Lindsay CummingsSnow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
YA Debuts 2014
103rd out of 372 books — 1,475 voters
Silver Shadows by Richelle MeadOn the Fence by Kasie WestPerfected by Kate Jarvik BirchSinner by Maggie StiefvaterLet's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid
YA Books - Publishing July 2014
8th out of 61 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (the Grinch)
What does [that lady] see when she looks in the mirror? Kelsea wondered. How could a woman who looked so old still place so much importance on being attractive? Kelsea saw now that there was something far worse than being ugly: being ugly and thinking you were beautiful.
Because how DARE anyone ugly have confidence in themselves.

When I die, I want inscribed on my gravestone "She Read The Queen of the Tearling." Call me unambitious, but that shall be counted among my proudest accomplishments,
Navessa
WARNING: RAGE RANT

First of all, to the shitstick in the PR department that labeled this the “The Hunger Games meets Game of Thrones”:

Second of all, FANTASY NOVEL FAIL.

Look, I’m a hardcore fantasy fan but I’m not a snob. High fantasy, light fantasy, urban fantasy, science fantasy; I’ll read it all. What I look for in the world an author builds, in the story that they tell, is creativity, believability when it comes to what they’ve created, accuracy, consistency, and COMMON FUCKING SENSE. Because
Kat O'Keeffe
May 03, 2015 Kat O'Keeffe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit on the slow side, but I loved the political intrigue and the super interesting world! Kelsea was such an awesome protagonist and there were lots of other great characters, each with their own interests and conflicts. I still have so many questions about the magic system and the history of this world--I kind of liked that not everything was spelled out directly and given to us, though I do hope we get more answers in the sequel. Will definitely be continuing with this series ASAP!
Regan
Jul 17, 2015 Regan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it!
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars Well, clearly I'm going to be kicked out of the cool kids' club, because I fucking loved this book. A good reminder to always try things out for yourself to see what you think.

The pacing and more introspective heroine will likely be issues for some readers (and I fully admit that I think this would have worked better as pure historical fantasy, rather than middle-ages-in-this-weird-future-time period), but I can tell you that these were not problems for me at all, being that I devoure
Sasha Alsberg
Oct 23, 2015 Sasha Alsberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so. good. just wow, i have no words to describe how awesome this book was.
Christine Riccio
Really interesting plot, but went a little slow for me! Here's my full booktalk! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DtCU...
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
For the most part I enjoyed this story. I think it was a solid start to this series, but I do feel like it was missing something. I'm interested to see where this trilogy goes!
Anne
May 16, 2015 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely one of the Top 10 of my 2014 favorites!
Word of warning, though...
I'm seeing tons of 1 star reviews. Evidently, this is one of those Love it or Hate It books. I've pawed over the other reviews, and I'm honestly not connecting with any of the other reviewers' problems with this one.
I didn't think the heroine had low self-esteem.
I didn't think parts of it were far-fetched or full of plot holes.
I didn't think it resembled other books (maybe because I haven't read them?).
But...and this is
Hailey (HailsHeartsNyc)
May 17, 2016 Hailey (HailsHeartsNyc) rated it really liked it
This was super intense and super enjoyable!
Katerina
May 23, 2016 Katerina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
“You win your people or you lose your throne.”

Fantasy.Adventure.Politics.Plots.War.Magic.Outlaws.Corrupted priests.Betrayal.And a young,plain girl in between.You've gotta love The Queen of the Tearling!

“The shipment nears,the cages fill,
A voice rings out across the Tear,
The cages burn,the Keep Lawn still,
The Tearling weeps,the Queen is here.”

Kelsea was raised by the Glynns,hiden away from her ambitious uncle and the Red Queen in a desperate effort to keep her alive so that she would clai
Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
5/9/16 - ON SALE for $1.99:

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

First and foremost, you need to know that The Queen of the Tearling is NOT a YA Fantasy. As far as I can tell, HarperCollins is not marketing the book that way, but when I read this, "Young Adult" was listed as the second shelf on the Goodreads' genre list (which of course means that Goodreads users are labeling it that way), but it absolutely isn't---Kelsea, the MC, is 19 y.o. and an adult, there is language that at times
Aly's Bookish Wonderland
Buddy read with the bombastic Figgy! I'd also like to dedicate this review to her, because without her support and lovin', I sincerely believe I'd be in a boredom-induced coma.

I received this book in the Goodreads First Read giveaway.

And because of that, I can safely say I'm glad I didn't spend any money on this. This is the most boring, dumb, confusing book I have read so far this year, and I've read a lot of boring, dumb and confusing books.

For the record, when someone gives me a book and tell
Amanda
28 Feb '14
Disclaimer: This is a review of an uncorrected Advanced Reader Copy.

Long rant ahead, folks. Don't say I didn't warn you.

So some time in the future of earth, when the world has gotten so messed up and irredeemable, a man named William Tear gathered up his people along with doctors, scientists, and other citizens of some value, and took them on a huge boat.

With the intention of building a new democratic civilization founded on world order and... socialism(?) William Tear and his people
Will M.
After 6 months, I've finally found a novel worthy of 5 stars. It took me that long to finally get out of the dreaded reading slump. It should've been obvious though, because one of the options to get out of the slump is to go back to your roots. My roots being Fantasy. I shouldn't have looked elsewhere.

There is a bit of a story when it comes to why I bought and eventually read this novel. Let me try to keep things short though so that I can jump in to the review.

I was having a normal day, brows
Bookworm Sean
Don’t you just hate book labels?

Many other reviews seem to centre on the point that this is labelled as a cross between The Hunger Games and A Game of Thrones. I’m just absolutely sick of hearing such things. Anybody who has read more than ten pages of either will realise the statement is completely untrue. It’s quite an annoying comparison. Certainly, you could say it’s like The Hunger Games insomuch that it has a female character as the protagonist. Such a parallel isn’t it? And I suppose you
Krista
Mar 04, 2015 Krista marked it as to-read
Let's get one thing straight..."The female version of GAME OF THRONES" is GAME OF THRONES.

Putting that aside, I'm only excited for this book because of one thing. Emma Watson. Who has reportedly signed on to star in the movie adaptation. Um...

Yes, please.

Steph Sinclair
Well, this was terrible. I hated everything but the cover.

I’m proud of myself for finishing this The Queen of the Tearling even though it’s turned out to be one of my most disappointing reads this year. HarperCollins was really pushing this title marking-wise, and while it’s not considered YA, they did offer it to quite a few YA bloggers for consideration for review. I had to be the special person to request it. I wish I hadn’t have done that.

The Queen of the Tearling tried to do a lot of things
Faye, la Patata
This book has rendered me speechless. Oh, my bloody god.If you could see me now, I'm already having withdrawals, because the moment I finished, the first thing I blurted out was, "I need book two. STAT."

I avoided this book like the plague. Shortly before its release, one star reviews were popping out left and right, many from my trusted friends who share the same likes and dislikes as me. Because of that, I didn't want to read it. It was absolutely at the bottom of my TBR, but the other day, I w
Vane J.
Ladies and gentlemen, I'm warning you: This is a rage rant.

Let me present you the future:

No, really. That's the future according to this book – I'm not shitting you. Our future is a freaking Medieval town.

Kelsea was raised alone with two guardians. She believes herself plain and ugly and totally unimportant. Tunrs out she's a special snowflake: She's the long-lost heir of the Tearling. Now she's the queen and she's getting back to “civilization.” (haha, what civilization?)

The synopsis didn't cat
Maureen

I really enjoyed this book! The concept was great though it wasn't without its problems. Full review to come soon :)
Aoife
You can also find this review on Bibliodaze

The Queen of Tearling has been called “a female Game of Thrones”. Before starting the book I wasn’t quite sure what they meant by that. After finishing I can only say that if there is such a thing as “a female Game of Thrones” this book is certainly not it because The Queen of Tearling pretty much manages to fail in every way imaginable.

First: The world-building.

We’re in a post-apocalyptic world. What exactly happened? When did it happen? How much time
☆☽Erica☾☆
What complicated black magic was used to seduce Emma Watson into liking this book?

(((((Emma I will save you, just give me the word.))))
Anja
Mar 08, 2016 Anja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*4.5 HIGH FANTASY STARS*

“Even a book can be dangerous in the wrong hands, and when that happens, you blame the hands, but you also read the book.”

Oh boy. I'm still having my doubts about whether I should give this 5 stars, but for now, I'm sticking with 4.5!
I get why some people didn't like this book as much as I did, because it kind of had a slow start and some things just don't make sense (but more about that later). I gotta admit it took me about 100 pages before I fully got into it and st
Melissa Martin
www.melissa413readsalot.blotspot.com

Okay a few excerpts from the book before I get into it!

"There's no other life for me. Anyway, clemency wouldn't begin to repay your debt. I've given you a greater gift than you know."
"What gift?"
"You'll find out. In return, I expect you to keep it safe."
Kelsea turned back to the mirror. "Great God, tell me you didn't impregnate me while I slept."
The Fetch threw back his head and roared with laughter. He placed a friendly hand on Kelsea's back, making her ski
Jenny
Aug 27, 2015 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's goooood. If you like Finnikin, you'll probably like this.
Summer
Jun 13, 2013 Summer marked it as to-read
Well, this book better read like it's worth seven figures, considering the blurb is praising it like it's the second coming of Jesus or something.
Elyse
Mar 08, 2016 Elyse rated it really liked it
I knew about this book months before it was first released from a staff member
from Kepler's book store who absolutely loved it. I knew they wanted the author
to hurry and finish the 'Trilogy'...as Emma Watson was already been cast as the leading
actress in the film.
The staff member at Kepler's book store told me this was going to be the next
"Harry Potter"...( in other words a huge hit - the books - and movie). That was over 2
years ago. I'm not sure what happened ...
But I didn't read this unti
helen the bookowl
Apr 09, 2015 helen the bookowl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an extraordinary book! I simply loved it!
There are so many things that can be said about this story; so many aspects of it that I really admired, but if I have to settle on one thing that I admired the most, it was the protagonist Kelsey. What an amazing character! I loved her personality and how she changed to a reasonable, mature woman. I loved the fact that she wasn't a beauty; focus came to be on her inside and her decisions and not her looks. I also loved how she was so self-aware
Melanie