Start by marking “The Misconception” as Want to Read:
The Misconception

The Misconception

The sperm donor she hired has gone AWOL, so who’s this man in her bed? A misunderstanding of biological proportions.

A man is good for only one thing.

Dr. Marietta Dalrymple wants a baby, but all she wants from a man is his sperm. A professor of evolutionary biology, Marietta can explain away romantic love with scholarly theories of why men and women are compelled to copulat
Kindle Edition, Updated edition, 307 pages
Published July 19th 2011 by Darlene Gardner (first published May 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Misconception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Misconception

Cute, funny, interesting characters--a good read despite the very similar plot to a Susan Elizabeth Phillips book. I'll check out another to find out if she has some original plots...
Feb 25, 2016 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
this was a fun light read, not taxing on the brain cells but worth a look

Not a bad story, but nothing spectacular either
Personally, I liked the book as a whole. There were some parts in the middle that dragged on, but there were also many exciting parts. It started out with an interesting idea and some relatable emotions to get you engaged. However, after the opening event happened, things slowed down. The beginning event was when Marietta became pregnant by Jax. She didn't know who Jax actually was, but he eventually figured out Marietta's plan to get pregnant and raise the baby on her. Jax grew up fatherless, s ...more
This is book equates to your biology book, highlighting procreation of animals! Haha Really, those biological phrases are still floating in my head.

Marietta's witty comeback elicits an reaction as "really?" or "oh wow slash hell". She's got the BRAINS. But so out of reason when it comes to males and love, that even when I was reading I was slowly getting frustrated.

Daniel's joke was unfunny even to me :) Who would think laughing at a hulk-like man who' s got the looks? He's really persistent in
Apr 25, 2012 Enkel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a bad experience. The story is cliche and the characters flat. I'd written a longer reivew and the interweb ate it. Everything about my experience with this book (from the reading to the trying to review) is annoying.

I got the book because of 5 star reviews on - well they were wrong. There are no 'laugh-out-loud' moments in this book. For those like me, compelled to read to the end thinking "it must pick up, why would someone rate it so highly".... it doesn't pick up. I
Apr 14, 2014 Cara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
With its farout but intriguing premise, this book grabbed my attention for awhile, but the characters became one-sided and stale after the first few chapters. Jax was almost too perfect, but I looked forward to him becoming a father and more heartfelt moments. How disappointing that the book ended abruptly with the couple together but the baby still months from being born! Even a short epilogue would have made a huge difference.
Charli ღ Denae
Really cute story. I enjoyed the fun, cartoonish plot of what Jax did for a living but I confess, I did figure it out right away even it isn't 'revealed' until towards the middle of the book. I loved the characters of Jax, Tracy, Ryan and Jax's family. The Professor was a little uptight, part of the plot, but I was rooting for her by the end, so it was all good.

A nice, funny escape from every day, just what I look for in a book.
Mar 04, 2012 Heartofkenna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Cute engaging story, definitely a fun read. My only complaint is getting sick of hearing the perfection of Jax's physical attributes listed again and again. The characters were likable and I cared about them, I even grew to appreciate Marietta by the end which is a testament to good writing!
Jacquelyn Smith
This was an enjoyable comedy. I laughed until I cried.
It was an emotional roller coaster.

This was short, sweet, and to the point.
Apr 12, 2012 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is so trashy, I can't believe that I'm admitting to reading it. Definately not "literature" but a nice escape from reality. Very predictable, but a good escape nonetheless.
Brandy Kruse
The best thing I can say about this book is that I've never read characters exactly like these before. And that I finished it.
Lindsay green
This was a cute romance story. Thoe story was original and the characters were likable.
A nice quick read about a man and woman who inevitably fall in love.
Re  Cartier
Re Cartier rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Rebecca Nolan
Rebecca Nolan rated it really liked it
May 17, 2012
Rachael Goucher
Rachael Goucher rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2012
Sarah Goldstein
Sarah Goldstein rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Nov 11, 2012 Deanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, kindle
it was really pretty cute actually!
Amy rated it it was ok
Sep 02, 2012
Anne Rooney
Anne Rooney rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Andi Morago
Its not bad, but not the best book I've ever read.
Tasha Hansraj
Tasha Hansraj rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2012
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2012
Sandra rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2013
Mariah rated it really liked it
May 04, 2012
Nancy Donoho
Nancy Donoho rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Amanda Brown
Amanda Brown rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2012
Sandman rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2013
ebun rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2015
Kaitlyn rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2012
  • Homeward Bound
  • Blame it on the Mistletoe
  • The Jilted Bride
  • The Ice Chorus
  • The Wary Widow (Wetherby Brides, #3)
  • Annabelle Lee (Summersville Secrets, #1)
  • The Path to Freedom (Task Force 125, #1)
  • Forgotten Father
  • Maddy's Oasis
  • Moonlight and Oranges
  • With a View
  • What She Doesn't Know
  • A Shiver at Twilight
  • Chocolate Kisses
  • A Thoroughly Modern Princess
Darlene Gardner left her life as a newspaper sportswriter behind for love and romance. She has more than 30 books in print, from single-title romantic comedies to emotionally charged family dramas. She’s currently self publishing updated editions from her backlist and working on a series of Young Adult romances with paranormal elements. That is, when she’s not playing tennis.
More about Darlene Gardner...

“What could possibly go wrong?” 1 likes