Start by marking “Julie (Julie of the Wolves, #2)” as Want to Read:
Julie (Julie of the Wolves, #2)

Julie (Julie of the Wolves #2)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  3,500 ratings  ·  74 reviews
When Julie returns to her father's Eskimo village, she struggles to find a way to save her beloved wolves in a changing Arctic world and she falls in love with a young Siberian man.
Published February 29th 1996 by Turtleback Books (first published March 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Julie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Julie

Natalia Nguyen
Julie of the wolves written by Jean George was published in 1972 by the Harper and Row Inc. The book has 155 pages all together. This book is a mix of sadness and adventure. What I really enjoyed about this book was the fact that the story line really explained what the background of the story was. It was mixed between Julie's present situation. Amaroq, (the Wolf), then a flashback, and finally back to the present Kapugen (the Hunter)
The main character of this book is Julie. She is an Eskimo g
Maire Slater
The book begins with Julie returning home after living on the tundra with a wolf pack (in book 1). She has to navigate reintegrating into her family, and her community. But she also still has ties to her wolves, and must head back out on the tundra to lead them away from the village where they are in danger of being hunted.

I really enjoyed this book. I loved the "exotic locale" - the gentle immersion in another culture. I guess I did find the characters a bit 2-dimensional. Maybe that's not exac
Janelle
I finally made it to my public library to pick up this book yesterday afternoon, and I finished it this morning. This is one sequel that does not disappoint! I loved that the narrative begins the day the previous book ends, even though the book was written 22 years after Julie of the Wolves. I appreciated Julie's reconciliation of traditional Eskimo ways with ones of Arctic people finding a sustainable place in the modern world. It was fun to learn a bit more about the great musk ox, creator of ...more
Hannah
Julie #2
I liked this book because ther as some action! Also Julie has to survive in the arctic! Julie meets some wolves and has to try to learn how to speak to them! She also has to make them bring her some food! Then she has to decide to stay or go back home!! Hannah Steiner
Tina
this book was a great story about wolves. it can get boring at times but overall a good story
Books Kids Like
It is hard for Julie to return to her father's home. She can't forgive him for killing Amaroq, and she can't accept his gussak (white) wife, Ellen, nor his modern ways. Nonetheless, Julie decides that she must stay. To show good faith she begins helping at home and with the village industry of raising uminak, or musk oxen. Knowing that Kapugen will kill any wolf that tries to kill his oxen, Julie mentally wills Kapu and his pack to leave this part of their territory. For a time, it seems that Ka ...more
Carolynne
Julie (Miyax) is an Inupiat Eskimo who has recently found her father after some months of being lost on the tundra, where she was nutured by wolves in the Newbery award winning _Julie of the Wolves_. To her surprise her father has married a white schoolteacher, Ellen. Her father has shot Amaroq, the wolf leader of the pack that protected her--in essence her surrogate father--in order to protect the musk oxen who create his living. When the pack comes close again, she rejoins them in order to tem ...more
Madelyn
I really liked this book. It was kind of adventurous and exciting. Julie does some interesting things and as to make some tough decisions throughout the book. Julie is a very strong character throughout the book. I think if you like Eskimo history you will really like this book. If you want to learn what some of these things are you have to read the book.
Ripken
This book was really adventures.

I liked when Kapugen named the baby after a wolf that he killed. I also liked how Julie could speak to the wolves. I learned that Eskimo parents usually pick your husband.

Read this book if you love the Artic.
Melissa
Julie picks up right where Julie of the Wolves left off. Now that Julie has decided to move back in with her father she is realizing that he isn’t the same man she remembers. This book centers on Julie trying to make a place for herself in a human world that she was out of for some time. Slowly things are starting to come together for Julie, but first she needs to be able to forgive her father for the loss of her friend. I found myself liking Julie even more in the sequel! She really is a strong ...more
Lucia
This sequel of Julie of the Wolves have still that magical spark that makes you want to read further, but sadly for me, the concept of the story isn't cleared really well. Julie (Miyax) is really independent though her father, Kapugen doesn't have the thing that makes you like the book even further. Though, the missing presence of Amaroq saddens me and Kapu living on his own without Silver makes me wonder why does that happen.

I would recommend this book to an animal lover, an adventure lover, a
Claudia
A bit more interesting than its prequel, but still a bit too cheesy for me. Interesting narration about Alaska and a girl's different struggles in life.
Miko Lee
Sequel to the wonderful Julie which takes place just 10 minutes after the last book ended.
Sophie Muller
I am so grateful that Ms. George wrote this second book about Julie because the first one finished with a scene that made me very sad. In the second book, we get to understand Julie's father better and see how he reverts back to being an Eskimo, which sounds like the best to live in harmony and peace with nature. I also truly enjoyed the development of Julie's love life. Towards the end, she argues that the white man way is better (i.e. wait to be older to get married), but when Peter holds her ...more
Cloe
This book was probaly one of the best books I have ever read. It is the second book of a 3 book trilogy I can not wait to read the thrid book but, sadly our libray does not have it. Julie is a young eskimo girl who makes friends with a pack of wolves she learns the way that a pup acts and pretends to be one. After a long journey she finds her dad and finds out that she know has a stepmom, who she does not like at first but begins to warm up to her. Her stepmom has a little baby boy named Amorog ...more
Elizabeth
As often happens with the sequel to a really stellar book, this book was good, but not as amazing as the original.
Elizabeth McDonald
The sequel to Julie of the Wolves focuses on Julie's relationships with her people as she rejoins human society and struggles with questions of identity and reconciling the past and the present. George's writing is simple and straightforward enough for children, but since the questions she wrestles with through Julie are authentic, there's a lot here for adults, too.
Angie
I learned a little more about love and forgiveness---also, the importance of family and living together in a community---respecting the lives of others, including the wildlife around us. I liked how Julie/Miyax learned to forgive her father for killing her beloved adopted wolf-father, Amaroq and came to love his gussak wife, Ellen. Also, how they all came together to help each other for the benefit of all. It was also good for Julie to find love for herself, in Peter Sugluk.
Alma Law
A quick and pleasant read, this sequel loses some the alarming suspense of the predecessor, but it provides a meaningful follow up to the situation we left Julie in. She slowly recovers from the physical and emotional shock and now must discover and analyze her father's recent adjustments to traditional Eskimo life. She ultimately struggles to reconcile the oneness she felt with the wolves and the roles they play as predators to the food and income source of her village's musk oxen.
Cinthya
I really got into the spirit julie had with her wolves. I guess it was somewhat a book that wasn't the worst nor the best. It was hard for me to understand the characters only because I didn't know there was a first book before this one. I managed to get the story towards the middle. It just really left me suprised Julie diden't go with Peter to Fairbanks which is the university of Alaska. Peter is in love with her even though Julie just liked him.
Shellie
I loved this book! The previous book in the series, Julie of the Wolves, was one of my childhood favorites. I noticed this at the library and was immediately intrigued. I loved the plot, and the strength of Julie as a character, who is not a typical young women, but empathetic and easy to relate to. I thought the plot was fascinating and I wanted more after I read it. I love this series and I can't wait to check out the third installment.
Annette
Jamin Osborne
It is nice to read a story with such a strong, independent female. This book touches on a lot of issues that can be seen occurring today in our country. Times change and the way that society operates changes as well as what society holds as valuable. Even so, although there is the constant of change there are also certain values and life perspectives that are of such a value that they are worth fighting for.
Monica Job
I really ejoyed reading this book, although I am not sure I would use it in any class below the 5th grade due to certain events that may be alittle above younger children's heads. But overall I would use this book for kids how love animals because of it large wolf involvment. For a children who hate reading I feel this book could really make turn them around.
Kevin
Not my best choice of books but over all, it was alright. There a lot of sad parts but it evened out with suspese , sort of, and happiness. It didnt tell me a lot of backround to the girl but just enough to understand what her relationship was with or towards the wolf. to sum it all up, I cant wait to read the very ending!
Julie
How did I grow up NOT knowing that Julie of the Wolves is a trilogy? I still love the 1st book the best (so far). I remember dressing up as Julie and creating a dwelling like hers in the snow for a project in 4th or 5th grade. Anyway, I liked this continuation called Julie, it's just not as exciting as Julie of the Wolves.
Emily Kimball
"That is why we are so much like them. We hunt in groups like the wolves. We have leaders like the wolves, and we love our children like they love their pups."
Erika
For those who enjoyed the book Julie of the Wolves this sequel, written 20 years after the first book, is a must read. The author paints a beautiful and accurate picture of life in the Arctic once again. I didn't feel that it was quite as good as the first book, but it w still enjoyable.
Jana
THis book I felt was as well written as the first. They aren't the most adventurous storie, but I enjoyed learning about the eskimo ways, and about wolves. liked knowing what happenend to Julie after the end of the last book. THese are well written books with a good story.
  • Zia (Island of the Blue Dolphins, #2)
  • Child of the Wolves
  • Santa Paws (Santa Paws, #1)
  • Kavik the Wolf Dog
  • Dogsong
  • The Wolfling: A Documentary Novel of the Eighteen-Seventies
  • Stormy
  • Saving Shiloh (Shiloh, #3)
  • Misty's Twilight (Misty, #4)
  • Fog Magic
  • I Thought My Soul Would Rise and Fly: The Diary of Patsy, a Freed Girl, Mars Bluff, South Carolina, 1865 (Dear America)
  • Runaway Hamster (Sweet Valley Kids, #2)
  • Standing in the Light: The Captive Diary of Catharine Carey Logan, Delaware Valley, Pennsylvania, 1763 (Dear America)
  • So Far From Home: the Diary of Mary Driscoll, an Irish Mill Girl, Lowell, Massachusetts, 1847 (Dear America)
  • My Heart is on the Ground: the Diary of Nannie Little Rose, a Sioux Girl, Carlisle Indian School, Pennsylvania, 1880 (Dear America)
  • Shiva's Fire
  • Phoenix Rising
Jean Craighead George wrote over eighty popular books for young adults, including the Newbery Medal-winning Julie of the Wolves and the Newbery Honor book My Side of the Mountain. Most of her books deal with topics related to the environment and the natural world. While she mostly wrote children's fiction, she also wrote at least two guides to cooking with wild foods, and an autobiography, Journey ...more
More about Jean Craighead George...

Julie of the Wolves (3 books)
  • Julie of the Wolves (Julie of the Wolves, #1)
  • Julie's Wolf Pack (Julie of the Wolves, #3)
My Side of the Mountain (Mountain, #1) Julie of the Wolves (Julie of the Wolves, #1) On the Far Side of the Mountain (Mountain, #2) Julie's Wolf Pack (Julie of the Wolves, #3) My Side of the Mountain Trilogy (Mountain #1-3)