Start by marking “Way Out Of Here” as Want to Read:
Way Out Of Here

Way Out Of Here

Meet Gordon Delanolan. Just call him Nolan, everyone else does. Nolan is bored with life and in dire need of adventure. The only problem is that he has done everything, and there doesn't seem to be anything else left to add spice to his existence.

Then one night Nolan is shocked and terrified to hear a disembodied voice coming from his navel. Reality, he finds, is much more
Kindle Edition, 1, 20 pages
Published February 23rd 2013 by Corpus Press (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Way Out Of Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Way Out Of Here

David Brian
Mar 22, 2013 David Brian rated it really liked it
Nolan is a guy who has everything he could possibly want, beautiful wife, wonderful kids, and more money than any man should ever hope to have. But Nolan is bored and unhappy, believing that there should be something more to his life... Nolan should have been careful what he wished for!
A surreal roller-coaster of a ride which, If I was to make one small criticism, perhaps finished a tad quickly. I would of liked the back-end of the story to have been expanded on. Hard to say more without posting
Evans Light
Mar 06, 2013 Evans Light rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-it, favorites
It's like an extremely stoned Lewis Carroll (of Alice and Wonderland fame) hung out with an opium-laced Edgar Allan Poe and they decided to write a story together. Then while they were in the middle of writing it,they ate some 'shrooms and things got ugly.

A great read for free-wheeling minds! Highly recommended.
Kit★
Downloaded a handful of freebies for the Kindle, this is one of 'em. This story was a short, quick read. It was definitely quirky, kinda weird, with one of those endings that just made me say 'aw dammit'. I liked it though, I wouldn't mind reading more short stories by this author. Been in a short story mood here lately, so it worked for me.
Sherry Fundin
I had won fifty million dollars in the lottery.

I bought everything I wanted. I went everywhere I wanted.

But, something was missing.

One night, unable to sleep, I got out of bed , trying not to rouse the whole house.

I nodded off on the couch and woke up to someone calling my name.

"Nolan!"

No one is here but me. Am I hearing things? Dreaming?

I laughed as Adam described the actions the voice took to make him do as it said.

I was over the toilet, trying to pee, when my shirt moved.

The voice was coming
Laura Thomas
Mar 11, 2013 Laura Thomas rated it it was amazing
Gordon Delanolan goes by the name of Nolan. He’s one of those rare people. One of the lucky few. He struck gold, winning $50 million in the lottery. After doing right by family, sailing the world, and doing everything his heart desires, he’s bored. And unhappy. He wonders if he’ll every be truly happy.

You know that feeling you get, like something’s about to happen? Well, that’s how Nolan’s feeling.

It starts with the stomach cramps. So bad he’s wondering if somethings ripping him apart from the i
Cindy
I don't give five stars that often any more, but this was just awesome Adam! This was an extremely bizarre read. The creativity/imagination and the care that you so obviously took in writing this story deserves much credit. I will most definitely read more of your material in the future. My only regret is that I did not read this sooner! Near the top of my list of the "strangest" reads I've encountered.
Scot
Apr 11, 2013 Scot rated it it was amazing
To start out, Adam you are a strange "bird"!! With that said, this book was a short and refreshing journey about alternate versions of people in the multi-verse and wishing for more out of life. I love the Light brothers writing style. It's always a clean break from reality and a nice little escape. (... And this IS a compliment.) Keep up the great writing, Adam, and I will keep reading.
Jacob Rayne
Mar 12, 2013 Jacob Rayne rated it really liked it
This was a cool story, really bizarre idea but it was well-executed. The whole thing felt like a strange dream. The end came a little too suddenly, but apart from that it was a cool short story that I very much enjoyed reading.
Jane Doe
Apr 06, 2013 Jane Doe rated it really liked it
What an odd little story. Super fast read.
Favorite line
"a blender full of nuts and bolts set on puree and I still managed to avoid waking..." what an excellent way to describe a serious stomach ache.
Harish Puvvula
To start with, it is a novella. And a good one at it.
I liked the narration.
Grampy
Jul 15, 2013 Grampy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anybody who likes bizarre and/or weird
Recommended to Grampy by: Nobody
"Way Out Of Here" by Adam Light is a bizarre tale that almost defies description... that alone may be reason enough to read it.

The protagonist, Gordon "Nolan" Delanolan, won the lottery; fifty million smackeroos after taxes. He did all the things people always say they would do if they won the lottery: bought a house for his brother and his parents, bought the parents a fancy car, got himself a boat big enough to require a crew to run it, travelled (in his boat) around the world, and so on. But
Kellie Harrington
Jun 28, 2013 Kellie Harrington rated it it was amazing
Gordon lived a great life after winning the lottery, he found a house and a wife and bought things he liked even had a couple kids but he wanted more he started having stomach aches and on this faithful night he found he heard a voice, when he listened to the voice his stomach got better he couldnt find the source of the voice though until a finger came out of his stomach after conversing with himself all went black and then he woke and was in a strange place and he saw himself to see what his ...more
K.
Mar 18, 2013 K. rated it it was amazing
This is a story about a man who wins the lottery and gets to enjoy life, only to find emptiness and despair. But then ... a captivating twist. I had read another story by Mr. Light 'Vengeance By The Foot' and it was horror of the heavier kind. In 'Way Out Of Here', Mr. Light is not quite as cruel, even though his imagination can be at times quite forceful. I am reminded of Franz Kafka's stories, also of the Wizard of Oz. I laughed, I loved it! There's creativity in this story, philosophy and a ...more
Kate
May 09, 2013 Kate rated it liked it
2.5* rounded up to 3*.

This is the story of a man who becomes unsatisfied with his life and starts hearing a disembodied voice talking to him.

This was a really interesting concept but just as it got going it was finished.

I found myself wanting to find out more about (view spoiler). Too many questions left unanswered, a bit frustrating.
Lee
Mar 14, 2013 Lee rated it it was amazing
I loved this twisted little tale. I couldn't help but laugh at some of the analogies and I really liked the descriptive quality of the story. It has a quaint twilight zone feel to it and was really an enjoyable little read. I think the ending is brilliant, it is great just the way it is or gives the author the ability to expand on the story at a later date if he so desires. I for one would read more if that is ever the case. Great job Adam!
Cheryl
Mar 15, 2013 Cheryl rated it really liked it
If it sounds too good to be true...

What would YOU do if a voice started talking to you out of your belly button? Freak out? Think you were going crazy? Go with the flow? Well, Nolan does all these things and more when it happens to him.

This is a weird, wacky short story. I think poor Nolan had a banana and onion sandwich and the resulting indigestion led him into Nightmareland.

I did enjoy the story, though. It was a quick, fun read.
Catherine
Mar 13, 2013 Catherine rated it really liked it
Adam Light weaves reality and fantasy to create an interesting and strange story. “Way Out of Here” is an unusual tale. The hero of the story is Nolan, a likeable, ordinary guy who enters an unfamiliar world in a very unique way. Through this “portal” he is transported to a strange new world, forcing him to question what true happiness really is. Light keeps the reader guessing until the final page.
Janie Johnson
Mar 14, 2013 Janie Johnson rated it it was amazing
How awesome I got to read this one compliments of the Author, thanks Adam ;) I found this tale to be well written and quite entertaining too. Not something you read everyday so it was quite different as well, which is always a good thing. Very colorful and imaginitive. This could definitely go even a little further and become much more, and if so, I will be waiting.
Robby
Apr 30, 2013 Robby rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All Goodreads Friends
Recommended to Robby by: Goodreads Friends
Thoroughly enjoyed this story. Definitely has a different angle on ones own body. Sort of an inside-out look (no pun intended) with a slight doppelganger slant. A thought provoking, imaginative, twisted tale. Kudos Adam; keep them coming. Highly recommend for all Goodreads Friends; of course.
Chris The Story Reading Ape
Mar 15, 2013 Chris The Story Reading Ape rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-reviewed
This book was recommended to me by the author's brother, Evans Light, who is an author himself.

The story is well presented and has a nice, if predictable, twist to the tale, in fact it would not be out of place in The Twilight Zone or Tales of the Unexpected.
David
Mar 18, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
Great short that is also included in The Corpus Corruptum. Highly recommend the horror writing of the Light brothers!
Kimberly
Jan 19, 2014 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-story
A great story by Adam Light! My only complaint is that I would have liked to see it expanded upon--I could easily see this topic stretching out novella-length.

Recommended!
Naomi
Mar 14, 2013 Naomi rated it really liked it
Science fiction meet Alfred Hitchcock in this short story. I am honestly still trying to digest the freakish story line. Good read!
Mar 15, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
I was thinking about this book this morning as my stomach was grumbling and making lots of noise! Wondered if it would start talking to me too!
Dwayne Keller
Dec 02, 2013 Dwayne Keller rated it liked it
Interesting story of a man bored with life, offered a new type of life.
Angel Gelique
Oct 16, 2013 Angel Gelique rated it really liked it
When I noticed that some books by the author were being offered for free, I just had to get them even though I'm not fond of short stories in general.

I rated and reviewed this book a few days ago but am making some changes.... I liked this story...a lot, in fact, so I wanted to fair with my review. I think the author did an exceptional job with it. Wow, what an imagination! My only real criticism is its length. Which seems asinine, I know...it's a SHORT story.... Hence my dilemma and the reason
Jason Parent
Nov 24, 2013 Jason Parent rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This is one of those quirky stories that you love for its peculiarity, a very strange idea yet made awesome by the quality of Adam Light's brave narrative voice, the strength of his description and the fluidity and realness of an unreal plot.

Five stars- each one for awesomeness.
Mollydee
Oct 09, 2013 Mollydee rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
It sounded interesting enough. All of the stuff was there for a great story. Then it just fell flat. I wish there was a way out of my future and a way to go back in my past and not read this
Brenda Seaberg
Mar 24, 2013 Brenda Seaberg rated it liked it
In reading this one, it seemed like I read something similar years ago. It left me figuring out different ways to end it. It was ok, but not fabulous.
Mark
Dec 30, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it
Two words: weird, original!
« previous 1 3 next »
Adam Light resides in northeast Florida with his beautiful wife and daughter, and their aptly named Walker hound, Walker. He haunts a cubicle by day, writes horror stories at night, and virtually never sleeps.

He is the author of several short horror stories, some of which have been published in his first collection, TOES UP. His stories can also be found in the anthologies BAD APPLES, BAD APPLES 2
More about Adam Light...