Start by marking “Own It: Discover Your Faith in God” as Want to Read:
Own It: Discover Your Faith in God

Own It: Discover Your Faith in God

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  87 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The movie Grace Unplugged tells the story of Grace Trey, an ideal Christian teenager who is also a phenomenal singer. But when she is pushed into the “real world” at the tender age of eighteen after getting the music break of a lifetime, her faith is put to the test.

Published September 1st 2013 by B&H Books

To ask other readers questions about Own It, please sign up.

Lisa Johnson
Sep 26, 2013 Lisa Johnson rated it it was amazing
Title: Own It (Leaving Behind a Borrowed Faith)
Author: Michael & Hayley DiMarco
Pages: 176
Year: 2013
Publisher: B & H Books
There are books that come across our path in life that cause us to stop and consider the premise laid out in the writing. Here is such a challenge to do just that: Stop and consider. Consider what you ask? Well, actually I could say the state or position of your faith, but that wouldn’t really encapsulate the reason the authors share what God has taught them.
In six tho
Kat
Jun 08, 2015 Kat rated it did not like it
Shelves: christianity
I HATE books like this. There is so much wrong with this book I don't even know where to begin. I should have taken notes on all the contradictory crap that made no sense whatsoever. From the very beginning the authors were misinterpreting stories from the Bible and giving scriptures a different meaning to support their illogical reasoning. Pretty much if you want a book that will guilt you into giving up your happiness to become obsessed with God but not with religion then buy this book. This b ...more
Taylor Troncin
Dec 27, 2015 Taylor Troncin rated it did not like it
Shelves: pre-2016-read
I won this book through a goodreads giveaway.

Now, to be fair to the book (and the authors) I should not have entered in the giveaway. The subject matter (well, anything religious-related) tends to not go over well with me. It's a topic that I generally tend to try to avoid whenever possible. So, picking up this book was a challenge within itself.

Now, my rating does not reflect the quality of the text or anything like that ... It's honestly just due to the subject matter and I should have thoug
Jonathan Esterman
Jan 11, 2015 Jonathan Esterman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book begins with telling of the Prodigal Son. After briefly summarizing the tale while providing a bit of “backstory” to the culture, the authors use this parable to show the love of G-d as the father in the tale originally told by Y’shua. The authors use this to show how the book is not about accusing, but rather about benefitting. It is designed to help readers, or listeners, determine their own faith in G-d, from a biblically-based perspective.

From an audiobook point of view, the narratio
Melanie
Apr 11, 2014 Melanie rated it liked it
Review on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3SDQ9UA...
Review on my blog (to be 4/15/2014): http://christianbookshelfreviews.blog...

Own It is the second book by the DiMarco's I've read. While I didn't enjoy it as much as the first one (True Purity - which I loved), I did like it.

I liked how the chapters were set up and the style of the book. I also liked how Hayley and Michael shared some of their own stories/struggles - that made the book more personal/real.

I thought the beginning o
Jalynn Patterson
Aug 28, 2013 Jalynn Patterson rated it it was amazing
About Own It:

Own It! mirrors the film by asking what it means to really “own” your personal faith rather than just automatically following in the footsteps of parents, friends, or other influencers. Best-selling authors Hayley and Mi
Lisa Reising
Oct 20, 2013 Lisa Reising rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
I liked this book a lot. I'm someone that feels pretty solid in my faith - in an understanding of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and how his grace saves us - and this book made me think about these things in some powerful ways. Much of the writing is geared to adolescents, and I actually appreciate the simplicity because I have a sneaking suspicion that's how God probably views all of us, no matter our earth age. These Christian authors really get it - they get that faith is more than saying "I b ...more
Rese
Dec 23, 2014 Rese rated it it was amazing
This is by far one of the most absolutely awe-inspiring, thought provoking, must read books, of all times. One I have thoroughly enjoyed and one which will be on my reading list over and over again.
Trina Duvall
Sep 04, 2013 Trina Duvall rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-read-wins
Good reads win:

So I got this book in the mail today. It was one of those books that just sucked me in (let me just say house is a mess and husband is so not going to be happy). I usually don't read books dealing with religion or god. but since I won it in goodreads I definitely gave it a try. I fell in love with this book. This book is about a girl who gets a break in the music industry. It makes you ask many questions. For me the one that stuck how was where does your faith come from? That ques
Rachel
Oct 19, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received a free copy of Own It through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

Don't let the thinness of this book fool you. It is a heavy read. In Own It, Michael and Hayley DiMarco write with unyielding frankness about the factors involved in truly owning your faith...what you must give up, what you will gain as a result, and how it will fundamentally change you. Own It is a revelation for a believer of any age.
Joyce Yanney
This is a christian book, explaining how a person should not follow others faith. Find and live by their own beliefs. Faith changes you. Completes, frees and saves you. When your faith meets challenges don't make poor choices. Own it. Believe and act upon it. An excellent book for all to read, christian and non christian. This is a teaching book. Well written.
Diana Montgomery
Sep 25, 2013 Diana Montgomery rated it it was amazing
Own it
By: Michael & Hayley DiMarco

Do we own our own personal faith or are we letting the world direct us? Are we just following the world , parents or friends. This book will help us to know what to do when our faith meets the challenges of everyday life. Looking forward to putting this into practice in my own life.
Brittany
Sep 30, 2013 Brittany rated it really liked it
I received this book via the Goodreads First Reads program.

I really enjoyed this book. It made me delve deeper into my own relationship with Jesus. It showed me how, when change occurs in my relationship with Christ, it's a good thing. Staying stagnant is not beneficial.
Cindy
Sep 14, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it
Great book! We are passing on our copy to one of the teens in our youth group.
Whitney Eissfeldt
Dec 23, 2014 Whitney Eissfeldt rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. Opened my eyes to so many things.
Annelie Erasmus
Annelie Erasmus marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Mario Mtz c
Mario Mtz c marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Irecris35yahoo.Com.Ar
Irecris35yahoo.Com.Ar marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Asemota Festus
Asemota Festus rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2016
Mike Madron
Mike Madron marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Fany
Fany marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Cek  virabey
Cek virabey marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Emalee Buckner
Emalee Buckner marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Kristy Gaines Downey
Kristy Gaines Downey marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Aaron
Aaron rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Micheli Busnello
Micheli Busnello marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Dolly
Dolly added it
May 20, 2016
Priscillah
Priscillah marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
  • A Cry for Justice
  • Dr. Gary Chapman on The Marriage You've Always Wanted
  • 100 Days of Favor: Daily Readings From Unmerited Favor
  • Pound Foolish
  • Already Compromised
  • Death on Lindisfarne (The Aidan Mysteries #2)
  • Diary of a Jackwagon
  • Ten Girls Who Made History
  • PrayerWalk: Becoming a Woman of Prayer, Strength, and Discipline
  • No More Perfect Kids: Love the Kids You Have, Not the Ones You Want
  • Grace Unplugged
  • Opening the Gates of Heaven: Walk in the Favor of Answered Prayer and Blessing
  • Rival Hearts (Quilts of Love, #19)
  • Outrageous Courage: What God Can Do with Raw Obedience and Radical Faith
  • For Love or Country (The MacGregor Legacy, #2)
  • On a Quest for Christ: Tracing the Footsteps of Your Spiritual Journey
  • Letters from My Father's Murderer: A Journey of Forgiveness
  • Lazarus Awakening: Finding Your Place in the Heart of God
21968
Hayley DiMarco is the best-selling author of over 30 books, including God Girl, Mean Girls, and Die Young. She and her husband, Michael, run Hungry Planet, a company focused on producing books that combine hard-hitting biblical truth with cutting-edge design in Nashville, Tennessee.
More about Hayley DiMarco...