Start by marking “Grace Unplugged” as Want to Read:

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Grace Trey is an eighteen-year-old singer as passionate about her Christian faith as she is her phenomenal, God-given musical talent. Both traits come from her father, one-hit wonder Johnny Tray who found Jesus after losing his chart success two decades ago.

Published September 1st 2013 by B&H Books

To ask other readers questions about Grace Unplugged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grace Unplugged

Paula  Phillips

Grace Unplugged , not only a new movie release but first it was a novel written by one of my favourite authors Melody Carlson. When it comes to Christian novels that every teen should read - Melody Carlson is the go-to Author and this book was no different. Grace Unplugged stars Grace Trey , 18yr old daughter of former one hit wonder Johnny Trey now turned Worship leader of their church. All Grace has ever wanted to do is play music and her way, but everytime she gets close -her parents especial...more
Christie Hagerman
Although not many young adults leave home in search of fame, the underlying theme of this book reflects their quest to fulfill dreams and find significance. This story is also a good reminder of the importance of having solid friends who offer Godly advice. Grace's parents need to lean on their friends, a couple who happened to be their pastor and his wife, and Grace, too, finds timely support from a caring friend.

As the mother of two teenage girls, I identify with Grace's parents. The confusion...more
Lyn
I have read other books by Melody Carlson but this is the first time I read one that was written for Young Adults or the New Adult. The story is timeless--small town girl goes to Hollywood- or at least Los Angeles to become a singing star.

What sets Grace Unplugged apart is the great writing and deftly drawn characters. Also I liked the realistic situations that Gracie Trey, daughter of the one hit wonder, Johnnie Trey, finds herself in.

The book has been made into a movie which debuts October 4,...more
Hannah
This book by Melody Carlson is amazing! It is one on my new favorite books! During this book it shows how tough if can be for someone to be in the world but not living in the world. The main character Grace struggles to keep her faith as she becomes a popular singer in Hollywood. Many can relate to this book because at one point we all struggle in this world while we keep our beliefs.
Lakin
Goodreads Summary

When Grace encounters her own music break of a lifetime, the sudden dive into the "real world" puts her deeper beliefs to the test. Pop superstardom is just within reach but appears to require some spiritual compromise. Will...more
Sara
This book review is going to be a bit revealing about my faith. Before picking up this book, and even while I read it, I was struggling. Maybe I still am. I’m a lot like Grace, or as her stage name deems her, Gracie Trey. Oh, sure I’m not a rock star, but I am human. I get caught up in worldly things, sometimes even questioning the existence of God. After all, it’s hard to be an educated college student and still maintain faith in the unseen. I often forget that athough I cannot see God, I can f...more
Anne
In an unconventional spin, this book is adapted from a movie...and it feels like it was rushed to press to bolster the movie. It is a teen story, but a very unrealistic picture of the popular music industry. If you've ever watched a season of American Idol you know the intense pressure and competition singers face. Gracie Trey seems to have side-stepped all of that...she's an instant success, riding on the limited fame of her father. The cliched depiction of alcohol excess and the manipulation o...more
Raechel
I didn't completely finish this, because it was getting a little frustrating for me, so I decided to just watch the movie. I know that is unusual for me, as I prefer books, but I felt that the decision would be better that way. :)

I didn't care for how rebellious Grace was, nor how her parents handled the situation, or her friend, Rachel, for that matter.
I also didn't like that Grace's parents wanted her to go to college - even if just for a 'fall-back plan'. With God, you don't need a 'fall-back...more
Tammy Downing
Nice story about a young girl following her dream to be a big singer who discovers that what she left behind is exactly what she needed to be true to herself.
Gabrielle
This book was about 18 year old Grace Trey (Gracie Trey, stage name), she is an amazing singer. She takes after her dad the one-hit wonder Johnny Trey. She goes out into the 'real world' to sign a contract with Sapphire Music so she can start her big carrier. But she gets lost and confused, at the end she finds that she found what she always needed.

Wide Reading Questions:
1. I decided to read this book because I love Melody Carlson's books.
2. My favourite character is Grace because she takes a ri...more
Jodi
Aimee
This book is, obviously, a Christian Fiction book. Grace Trey has got stars in her eyes. She dreams of making it big with her music instead of being confined by her father and what he wants her to do with her music. Grace, who is like most teenagers, desires freedom and the opportunity to make her own decisions. She wants to follow her dreams and she feels like her father is keeping her from realizing those dreams.

Johnny has seen both sides of the story himself. He know the dangers of fame and h...more
Tami
I haven't received my copy yet, just received notice I had won. 8/26/13
Received my copy, have 1 plus my current read in front, but hope to start soon. 9/6/13
Started 9/14/13
Finished 9/15/13

Grace loves music. She wants to be just like her idol, Renae. Her father was a one hit wonder that found Jesus and was saved. He left music and became a preacher. Now he is the music pastor at their church, but Grace doesn't see things his way. Then his old manager shows up to services, and makes an offer for h...more
Stormi (Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my!)
I am very excited to be doing reviews from Grace Hills Media and Grace Unplugged is my first selection form them. Grace Unplugged by Melody Carlson is also being made into a movie and I can't wait to see it.

Grace Trey I believe is like most of your typical teenagers who are about to leave the nest. First of all they think they know what is best for themselves and so anything a parent says goes in one ear and out the other. I know I was a lot like that growing up.

This book to me is really about...more
Jalynn Patterson
About Grace Unplugged:

Lindsey Silvestrini
I love a creative title with a double meaning so I knew Grace Unplugged had potential from title alone and Own It just grabs you and demands to be read.

In Grace Unplugged, Grace Trey wants to chase her dream as a singer but she quickly learns that life in the real world for an 18 year old up and comer is harder than she realized. While many of us aren’t chasing dreams as lofty as becoming a singing superstar, we can all relate to finding out the harsh realities of life and having our faith chall...more
Lori Twichell
A beautiful, haunting story of teenage rebellion and overprotective parenting set against the backdrop of the entertainment industry, Grace Unplugged is a timely story that will engage everyone.

Though you know from the beginning that this will be a tough coming of age story, still Melody Carlson serves it up with style, grace and a beautiful tone that will have you engaged throughout the story. It takes an author with years of experience writing for and to young adults to get inside the head of...more
Lisa Johnson
Title: Grace Unplugged (A Novel)
Author: Melody Carlson
Pages: 304
Year: 203
Publisher: B & H Books
Reading is such a wonderful gift, and lately I have begun to appreciate it especially when I just finished with the latest work of fiction. Grace Unplugged is not just a novel, but a soon to be released movie based on the novel plus the nonfiction book Own It written by a different author. While some may not know how these books are tied together, once you read them you’ll appreciate the message in...more
Faye
Grace Trey, the daughter of one-hit-wonder Johnny Trey, gets her big break as an artist doing what she's always wanted to do, but are the compromises of what it takes to become a start ones she is willing to make?

Grace Unplugged was a fairly quick read, that could also be enjoyed as an older teen read. The writing style was easy to read, and the plot was good but a bit predictable, but overall had a terrific message.

This story had many great elements, a romance, the story of a father's love, an...more
Nicki
I really enjoyed listening to this audio book based on the movie of the same name. I must admit that when I first started listening I was distracted by the thought that the characters in the film were doing the same things. However the story really drew me in and I was hooked listening at every free opportunity I had. I really liked the main character Grace and didn't feel that she was being rebellious but rather that her father was too controlling. The storyline was good and the characters were...more
Alex
So, I tend to start off almost every review of Melody Carlson's books with something like, "As always, I just love Melody Carlson's books!" I know I sound like a broken record but I can't help it. I DO love her books!

This one was a bit different, though, because it was written for (or because of?) a movie of the same title. I'm not sure how much leeway Melody was given on the story, or if she was just given the script and told to novelize it. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed this! It just did...more
Miranda
Grace Unplugged is a book based off a movie adaption, which will be coming soon Oct 4th 2013.
I think Melody Carlson did a great job, though I don't thing this book was really me just probably due to the overly religious aspect of it. But few and far between I was starting to get it and actually understand how in a way Grace's "faith" was helping her etc.
See Grace's dad was a one hit wonder, now in the story she wants to go out and basically have a life in music so she goes to LA (like most "asp...more
Stephanie
This was a pretty good book with a happy ending, but it reminded me a lot of Karen Kingbury's Fifteen Minutes that I just finished reading. Grace leaves home and heads to L.A. to find her dream of being a singer and songwriter, but on the way to the top is asked to compromise her faith and feels like Hollywood isn't all it's cracked up to be without God in the center.
Becca
I feel so bad giving this a 2 star review, but it really was just "ok". Melody Carlson was one of my favorite authors as a teen; I loved all of her books! This one, though, just seemed like it was rushed in the writing process (maybe because it was based on the movie?). There were several typos and the ending just felt like it was wrapped up too fast. Good story, not the best delivery.
I'm usually a huge fan of Melody Carlson's work but I bought this book without knowing that it was a novelization of a movie. I couldn't get through it and from the 15 minutes I saw of the movie, it was pretty bad too.
Hilary
Feb 23, 2014 Hilary rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who are about 17 years old and up. The reason being is that it talks about teen drinking.
I really, really ,really enjoyed this book. I enjoyed it so much that I even cried at the end of this book, and I don't cry that much at the end of a book. Everybody should read this book.
Esther
I received this book for free from a Goodreads First Reads giveaway

The plot for this novel was pretty predictable from the beginning and there wasn't much surprise or expectation. The writing was very basic and didn't do much in imagery, but that could be from the fact that it was written from a movie script. I didn't find myself getting into the novel or connecting with any of the characters until the last couple of chapters. Despite all of that, I liked the moral of the story and what it was t...more
Rebecca "Rebaka" Lewis
In Grace Unplugged by Melody Carlson you will meet Grace Trey. She is a regular teenager who wants to make a name for herself. She and her father, Johnny Tray are in a worship band at their church. Her father has left the music world a long time ago with just one hit song. She is beautiful and has a voice that will take her places. Will she follow in her father’s footsteps and become a star? She has a passion for God, will her music portray it?

Melody Carlson is an author that brings her characte...more
Diana Montgomery
By: Melody Carlson

Grace a young Christian girl who loves music, but parents who want the best for her want her to go to college. All Grace wants is to play music. Grace’s parents don’t agree with her decisions on her future. Johnny her father gave up on his career to go professional she didn’t want to be like her dad. Grace runs away from home to fulfill her dream. Will she reject her faith or will she go back to it?
I really loved this book. Do we let God have us fully? Are we let...more
PhobicPrerogative
For those who practice Christian faith: a good book on standing your ground.
For those who don't: You'll be annoyed.
Christian Fiction...: Giveaway of Grace Unplugged and Own It! 1 5 Aug 29, 2013 04:27PM
  • The Shelter of God's Promises
  • Permission to Speak Freely: Essays and Art on Fear, Confession, and Grace
  • Untamed: Reactivating a Missional Form of Discipleship
  • The Touch
  • The Forgiven Duke (Forgotten Castles #2)
  • The God Hater
  • A Plain Disappearance (Appleseed Creek, #3)
  • Pennsylvania Patchwork (Legacy of Lancaster #2)
  • Home Run
  • Lethal Remedy (Prescription for Trouble, #4)
  • Missing Your Smile (Fields Of Home, #1)
  • Jesus Manifesto
  • The Transplant
  • Spartan and The Green Egg: A Trip to the Rainforest (Spartan and The Green Egg #1)
  • Before the Dawn (Home to Heather Creek #1)
  • Raptor 6 (Quiet Professionals #1)
  • Voyage with the Vikings (Imagination Station, #1)
  • The Wings of Morning (Snapshots in History, #1)
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi...more
More about Melody Carlson...
Becoming Me (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #1) Dark Blue: Color Me Lonely (TrueColors, #1) Christmas at Harrington's Blade Silver: Color Me Scarred (TrueColors, #7) It's My Life (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #2)