Start by marking “An Accidental Life” as Want to Read:
An Accidental Life

An Accidental Life

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In a 1982 New Orleans courtroom the best kept secret in the world is about to unravel, and a young couple's jet set lives are about to change. Senior district attorney Peter Jacobs is facing the trial of a lifetime, a passionate, spiritual battle against an evil with far reaching consequences. His beloved wife Rebecca, a glamorous and driven partner at a major law firm, su ...more
Published September 1st 2013 by B&H Books (first published August 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about An Accidental Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Accidental Life

Iola
Rebecca Downer Jacobs is about to be one of the first women admitted into partnership of her prominent New Orleans law firm. She’s happily married with an exciting career, when something happens that’s going to change everything. Meanwhile, Peter, her husband and senior district attorney, is in charge of a complex case with far-reaching legal consequences and moral implications for his Christian faith.

An Accidental Life is billed as the story of a legal case regarding the right to life of a bab
Teena Myers
One of the best books Pamela has written. The story based on fact makes its message heartbreaking. I hope this book becomes another Uncle Tom's Cabin that opens our eyes to the atrocities committed in the name of rights.
Nancee
Sep 03, 2013 Nancee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nancee by: 1
Rebecca and Peter Jacobs have persevered in climbing their respective corporate ladders to achieve their highest goals. Rebecca has attained the status of partner in a prestigious law firm, and Peter is a Senior Assistant District Attorney. Deeply in love and living a life of affluence the couple is suddenly faced with life-changing events, and Peter is facing the most challenging and heart wrenching case in his career. "An Accidental Life" reveals one of the country's most despicable secrets, l ...more
Mikal Hermanns
My thoughts:
Wow. This book has it all: romance, suspense, tension, character development, and tons of emotion. Abortion is a hot topic to this day, no matter which side of the fence you’re on. An Accidental Life is based on the testimony of Jill Stanek, who testified before a US Congressional Committee about botched-abortion infants born alive being left to die in a soiled utility room.

The main characters in this book, Peter and Rebecca Jacobs, have such incredible love for each other that just
Sally
An Accidental Life is a gripping novel with scenes inspired by real life events. One of the most gut wrenching is taken from the testimony Jill Stanek gave that day in 2001. I read about that testimony several years later, but I don’t think the impact of it ever goes away. Other plot details reminded me of the Gosnell case in Philadelphia from earlier this year. The truth is, however inconvenient it may be for some, there are babies born alive during late term abortion. At that point which holds ...more
Rebecca Gernon
Pamela has written several books, but this is the first one I have read. Her presentation on the explosive nature of her latest book, An Accidental Life,(fiction based on fact) peaked my interest and I bought the book. An Accidental Life explores the issue of a live birth resulting from an abortion, an ensuing murder trial, and the personal life of the attorneys involved in the case when they are faced with their own unplanned pregnancy. The characters are real, the suspense good, and since Pam ...more
Larinda Agee
I received this book via First Reads and am therefore providing an honest review.

To say that this book is powerful and gripping would be an understatement. It is thought provoking, and stays with you long after you've read it. As a matter of fact, I can't imagine putting it down without having read the entire thing quickly just to learn the story and what happens within.

Before reading this story, I was completely naïve that this type of thing could occur at all. I am simply blown away. Hats of
Cindi
This novel triggered many mixed emotions. I had no idea this sort of thing happened. I guess you can put me in the naïve category.

The author did an excellent job in bringing to light a terrible situation that is absolutely heart wrenching. Kudos to her for having the guts to write about it.

I highly recommend this book to everyone. Regardless of how you feel about abortion you will be touched by this story.
Ciska
*Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book on Netgalley from the publisher in return for an honest review*

Author

Review
I had some trouble with this book and I will start with those so I can leave you with the good. I did not really like Rebecca's part of the book. I felt she gave in to certain circumstances to easy when just a few pages before she was
Amanda
After making it as one of the first female partners in a 1982 New Orleans law firm, Rebecca Jacobs feels like she has it all. A loving husband and a job that she adores. When she discovers they are expecting their first child, things turn upside down as she figures out how to make it as a career woman and a mother.
While Rebecca struggles to figure out how to mesh two worlds, her husband is fighting a battle in the courtrooms to expose what happens in the case of live birth abortions, with the ho
Rachel
This was a fascinating and gripping read about a time period in the abortion battle in which laws, and medical practices, were changing more quickly than the public could be aware of. The author set the scenes masterfully, and left the reader desperate to see the right (and actually the moral) result for both main parties. If you enjoy mystery, or Christian suspense, or reading!... you'll love this book!
tina boltinghouse
Outstanding

OMG! Where do I start? As a pro-life activist I found the story compelling and all too factual about what happens in the abortion industry. As a writer, I found the characters believable and engaging. Not since "October Baby" and "Tilly" have I read a story that tackles this difficult subject in such a caring manner. Well done, Pamela. Well done.
Joan
In 1982, Roe v. Wade has been around nine years. Women are breaking into all kinds of careers. Pregnancies no longer have to curtail a woman's plans for the future.
Ewen has done a fine job of juxtaposing The pregnancies of two women. One has just made partner is a prestigious law firm when she finds she is pregnant. Her husband is happy but she wonders what it will mean to her career. The other is a teen whose boyfriends has left her - pregnant. She goes to have an abortion but it all goes wrong
Omi
You can kinda get lost in the legals of the story and repetative nature of the legalistic side, but this is a story of heart and grit, right and wrong. Really enjoyed it.
Stacey Fazenbaker-stanton
great read. Lively characters with real emotions.
Shantelle
Heart-rending. Slightly shocking even though I've heard of these things (and worse) before. Some joy and triumphs, but still left my heart a little bit breaking, especially because of all the horrible stuff going on today connected with abortions (Planned Parenthood stuff). And just the fact that abortions are so common and accepted in our day and age, :'(

Good read for every pro-lifer!

I will try to get a full review on here soon!
Stephanie
Very, very good. Based on a true story of live births after abortions. Very gripping.
Kerstin
I enjoy a good legal thriller and An Accidental Life was just that. Because it deals with a very serious subject matter (live birth delivery during an abortion procedure) it really stirs emotions and further thought.
The Advocate
"This is a great read no matter your views on the topic of abortion. It is tough at times, but the story is nicely told about choices that we have to make when we least expect to have to."
Read more here.
JoyAnne
This is a powerful read, so well written with amazing characters and an amazing storyline. A sensitive subject handled in a sympathetic way. Touching, dramatic. A wonderful novel.

I received a copy of this book free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Jim Lee
So well written, very sad, interesting and balanced writing. Very good read and will shock readers with its content. Fabulous book.
Melissa
3.5 stars--Well written, but the story meandered quite a bit before getting to the real point.
Rochelle Nollette
Rochelle Nollette marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Pooja Vadhva
Pooja Vadhva marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Hayley Elliott
Hayley Elliott marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
infants born alive during aboriton 1 7 Aug 20, 2013 08:05AM
  • Dead Lawyers Tell No Tales
  • Carolina Reckoning
  • The Baby Farm
  • The Weldon File
  • Critical Reaction
  • Mistaken: First Impressions Are Never What They Seem
  • Shades of Mercy (Maine Chronicle, #1)
  • Summer of the Wolves (Sisters in All Seasons #1)
  • Trust in Time (Shaw Brothers Series, Vol. 2)
  • A Knitter's Home Companion: A Heartwarming Collection of Stories, Patterns, and Recipes
  • Miracle in a Dry Season (Appalachian Blessings, #1)
  • City of the Dead
  • A Dark and Stormy Knit
  • Papal Bull: An Ex-Catholic Calls Out the Catholic Church
  • Running From Giants: The Holocaust Through the Eyes of a Child
  • The Invention of Sarah Cummings (Avenue of Dreams, #3)
  • Falling Through Clouds: A Story of Survival, Love, and Liability
  • Ravenscliffe: A Novel
After practicing law for many in Houston, Texas, Pamela Binnings Ewen turned to writing. She lives in Mandeville, Louisiana near New Orleans. She is the author of The Moon in the Mango Tree, and five other books. Based on a true story, The Moon in the Mango tree was awarded the 2012 Eudora Welty Memorial Award by the National League of American Pen Women.

Pamela's latest novel released September 2
More about Pamela Binnings Ewen...
The Moon in the Mango Tree Dancing on Glass Chasing the Wind Walk Back the Cat Secret of the Shroud