Start by marking “An Accidental Life” as Want to Read:
An Accidental Life

An Accidental Life

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  85 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
In a 1982 New Orleans courtroom the best kept secret in the world is about to unravel, and a young couple's jet set lives are about to change. Senior district attorney Peter Jacobs is facing the trial of a lifetime, a passionate, spiritual battle against an evil with far reaching consequences. His beloved wife Rebecca, a glamorous and driven partner at a major law firm, su ...more
Published September 1st 2013 by B&H Books (first published August 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about An Accidental Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Accidental Life

Waking Rose by Regina DomanTilly by Frank E. PerettiBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerAn Accidental Life by Pamela Binnings EwenRapunzel Let Down by Regina Doman
Pro-Life Fiction
4th out of 22 books — 9 voters
The Atonement Child by Francine RiversOctober Baby by Eric WilsonTilly by Frank E. PerettiTake Three by Karen KingsburyShades of Blue by Karen Kingsbury
Christian Fiction: Abortion
7th out of 10 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Iola
Rebecca Downer Jacobs is about to be one of the first women admitted into partnership of her prominent New Orleans law firm. She’s happily married with an exciting career, when something happens that’s going to change everything. Meanwhile, Peter, her husband and senior district attorney, is in charge of a complex case with far-reaching legal consequences and moral implications for his Christian faith.

An Accidental Life is billed as the story of a legal case regarding the right to life of a bab
Teena Myers
Jul 10, 2013 Teena Myers rated it it was amazing
One of the best books Pamela has written. The story based on fact makes its message heartbreaking. I hope this book becomes another Uncle Tom's Cabin that opens our eyes to the atrocities committed in the name of rights.
Teri
May 25, 2016 Teri rated it it was ok
An Accidental Life follows attorneys Peter and Rebecca Jacobs, a young couple focused on their careers in 1980s New Orleans. They’re going about life as usual but new beginnings and challenges bring a change to their lives. Rebecca has just been promoted to partner at her firm. Peter has just been assigned a controversial case in which a fetus survives an abortion but later dies. As if their world hasn’t been shaken enough, suddenly Rebecca finds out that she is pregnant despite her and Peter’s ...more
Nancee
Sep 03, 2013 Nancee rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Nancee by: 1
Rebecca and Peter Jacobs have persevered in climbing their respective corporate ladders to achieve their highest goals. Rebecca has attained the status of partner in a prestigious law firm, and Peter is a Senior Assistant District Attorney. Deeply in love and living a life of affluence the couple is suddenly faced with life-changing events, and Peter is facing the most challenging and heart wrenching case in his career. "An Accidental Life" reveals one of the country's most despicable secrets, l ...more
Mikal Dawn
Aug 01, 2013 Mikal Dawn rated it it was amazing
My thoughts:
Wow. This book has it all: romance, suspense, tension, character development, and tons of emotion. Abortion is a hot topic to this day, no matter which side of the fence you’re on. An Accidental Life is based on the testimony of Jill Stanek, who testified before a US Congressional Committee about botched-abortion infants born alive being left to die in a soiled utility room.

The main characters in this book, Peter and Rebecca Jacobs, have such incredible love for each other that just
Sally
An Accidental Life is a gripping novel with scenes inspired by real life events. One of the most gut wrenching is taken from the testimony Jill Stanek gave that day in 2001. I read about that testimony several years later, but I don’t think the impact of it ever goes away. Other plot details reminded me of the Gosnell case in Philadelphia from earlier this year. The truth is, however inconvenient it may be for some, there are babies born alive during late term abortion. At that point which holds ...more
Rebecca Gernon
Aug 19, 2013 Rebecca Gernon rated it really liked it
Pamela has written several books, but this is the first one I have read. Her presentation on the explosive nature of her latest book, An Accidental Life,(fiction based on fact) peaked my interest and I bought the book. An Accidental Life explores the issue of a live birth resulting from an abortion, an ensuing murder trial, and the personal life of the attorneys involved in the case when they are faced with their own unplanned pregnancy. The characters are real, the suspense good, and since Pam ...more
Larinda Agee
Jan 03, 2014 Larinda Agee rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book via First Reads and am therefore providing an honest review.

To say that this book is powerful and gripping would be an understatement. It is thought provoking, and stays with you long after you've read it. As a matter of fact, I can't imagine putting it down without having read the entire thing quickly just to learn the story and what happens within.

Before reading this story, I was completely naïve that this type of thing could occur at all. I am simply blown away. Hats of
Cindi
Feb 03, 2015 Cindi rated it it was amazing
This novel triggered many mixed emotions. I had no idea this sort of thing happened. I guess you can put me in the naïve category.

The author did an excellent job in bringing to light a terrible situation that is absolutely heart wrenching. Kudos to her for having the guts to write about it.

I highly recommend this book to everyone. Regardless of how you feel about abortion you will be touched by this story.
Regina
May 25, 2016 Regina rated it really liked it
I found this book riveting and gripping!

However, I did find some pro's and con's to this book. I know this book was an advanced copy, but there were a lot of mistakes, misplaced names, words, grammar, etc. Something I would've seen in an indie author. I've read plenty of advanced readers, I never seen the magnitude of errors as I've seen in this book. The other con I felt was all the fillers, the excessive descriptions of what they ate, what they wore, accessories, etc.

The best part of the stor
Shantelle
Heart-rending. Slightly shocking even though I've heard of these things (and worse) before. Some joy and triumphs, but still left my heart a little bit breaking, especially because of all the horrible stuff going on today connected with abortions (Planned Parenthood stuff). And just the fact that abortions are so common and accepted in our day and age, :'(

An Accidental Life by Pamela Binnings Ewen is more of a slow-paced tale, and largely focused on a court case having to do with live victims of
Ciska
Aug 01, 2013 Ciska rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
*Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book on Netgalley from the publisher in return for an honest review*

Author

Review
I had some trouble with this book and I will start with those so I can leave you with the good. I did not really like Rebecca's part of the book. I felt she gave in to certain circumstances to easy when just a few pages before she was
Amanda
Aug 13, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
After making it as one of the first female partners in a 1982 New Orleans law firm, Rebecca Jacobs feels like she has it all. A loving husband and a job that she adores. When she discovers they are expecting their first child, things turn upside down as she figures out how to make it as a career woman and a mother.
While Rebecca struggles to figure out how to mesh two worlds, her husband is fighting a battle in the courtrooms to expose what happens in the case of live birth abortions, with the ho
Rachel
Jul 11, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This was a fascinating and gripping read about a time period in the abortion battle in which laws, and medical practices, were changing more quickly than the public could be aware of. The author set the scenes masterfully, and left the reader desperate to see the right (and actually the moral) result for both main parties. If you enjoy mystery, or Christian suspense, or reading!... you'll love this book!
tina boltinghouse
Outstanding

OMG! Where do I start? As a pro-life activist I found the story compelling and all too factual about what happens in the abortion industry. As a writer, I found the characters believable and engaging. Not since "October Baby" and "Tilly" have I read a story that tackles this difficult subject in such a caring manner. Well done, Pamela. Well done.
Joan
Sep 17, 2013 Joan rated it really liked it
In 1982, Roe v. Wade has been around nine years. Women are breaking into all kinds of careers. Pregnancies no longer have to curtail a woman's plans for the future.
Ewen has done a fine job of juxtaposing The pregnancies of two women. One has just made partner is a prestigious law firm when she finds she is pregnant. Her husband is happy but she wonders what it will mean to her career. The other is a teen whose boyfriends has left her - pregnant. She goes to have an abortion but it all goes wrong
Lori Wasson
Nov 15, 2015 Lori Wasson rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the book. The whole topic was very interesting. It is clear that the author did her research on this topic and that her legal background came in useful in writing this book. I loved hearing about the characters in the previous books and loved the back story on Rebecca. It is so sad that this is happening to so many babies in this country. Anyway, I read this author's 3 most recent books and this book was by far my favorite. Great book!
Martha
Jun 20, 2016 Martha rated it really liked it
I didn't know what to expect from this book, but in the end it surprised me. The premise of an accidental life, defended from a perspective that was not pro-life was fascinating to me.
Omi
Aug 21, 2014 Omi rated it really liked it
You can kinda get lost in the legals of the story and repetative nature of the legalistic side, but this is a story of heart and grit, right and wrong. Really enjoyed it.
Stacey Fazenbaker-stanton
Jul 21, 2014 Stacey Fazenbaker-stanton rated it it was amazing
great read. Lively characters with real emotions.
Stephanie
Apr 28, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Very, very good. Based on a true story of live births after abortions. Very gripping.
Jen
Apr 18, 2016 Jen rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! I was surprised at how many typos there were though.
Tanya
Jan 29, 2016 Tanya rated it liked it
When I started this book, I kept thinking, maybe this one isn't for me. I didn't love the main character, etc. But as I kept reading I actually got pulled in and really enjoyed the story. It is a book about abortion but not the way I expected. I actually learned a few things (a little disturbing) and I liked this one. I thought the court parts were told very well. It is definitely a pro-life book.
Kerstin
Dec 31, 2013 Kerstin rated it really liked it
I enjoy a good legal thriller and An Accidental Life was just that. Because it deals with a very serious subject matter (live birth delivery during an abortion procedure) it really stirs emotions and further thought.
The Advocate
"This is a great read no matter your views on the topic of abortion. It is tough at times, but the story is nicely told about choices that we have to make when we least expect to have to."
Read more here.
JoyAnne
Nov 11, 2013 JoyAnne rated it it was amazing
This is a powerful read, so well written with amazing characters and an amazing storyline. A sensitive subject handled in a sympathetic way. Touching, dramatic. A wonderful novel.

I received a copy of this book free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Jim Lee
Jun 03, 2015 Jim Lee rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
So well written, very sad, interesting and balanced writing. Very good read and will shock readers with its content. Fabulous book.
Melissa
Jul 23, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it
3.5 stars--Well written, but the story meandered quite a bit before getting to the real point.
Jeannie
Jeannie marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Heidi H
Heidi H rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
infants born alive during aboriton 1 7 Aug 20, 2013 08:05AM
  • The Baby Farm
  • Trust in Time (Shaw Brothers Series, Vol. 2)
  • Papal Bull: An Ex-Catholic Calls Out the Catholic Church
  • The Weldon File
  • Carolina Reckoning
  • Mistaken: First Impressions Are Never What They Seem
  • Critical Reaction
  • A House Divided
  • Shades of Mercy (Maine Chronicle, #1)
  • Falling Through Clouds: A Story of Survival, Love, and Liability
  • City of the Dead
  • Dead Lawyers Tell No Tales
  • Running From Giants: The Holocaust Through the Eyes of a Child
  • Easy Day for the Dead (SEAL Team Six Outcasts, #2)
  • Game Plan
  • You Can Count on Monsters
  • Two Destinies (Secrets of the Cross Trilogy #3)
  • Abercrombie Trail
After practicing law for many in Houston, Texas, Pamela Binnings Ewen turned to writing. She lives in Mandeville, Louisiana near New Orleans. She is the author of The Moon in the Mango Tree, and five other books. Based on a true story, The Moon in the Mango tree was awarded the 2012 Eudora Welty Memorial Award by the National League of American Pen Women.

Pamela's latest novel released September 2
More about Pamela Binnings Ewen...