Start by marking “And the cars go...” as Want to Read:
And the cars go...

And the cars go...

Well well, what do we have here? It's a HUGE, very NOISY traffic jam and everyone's in a hurry to get somewhere! The racing car, off to the track, goes vrooooom; the beach buggy, on its way to the coast, goes bumble bumble; and Mr Luiggi cries "Mamma Mia! My ice creams are melting!" What ever could be he cause of all this traffic?!
Published May 1st 2013 by Walker Books LTD

To ask other readers questions about And the cars go..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And the cars go...

Erica
The first thing I noticed when I opened this book was the secret message on the CIP page. I loved that because, really, how many people read the CIP and how many people will find the secret message on their own?
Well, a lot, actually, because it's a little bit obvious there's something there, but still, give me this moment of self-congratulatory cleverness.

This looks like so many of my childhood books; I had to double-check to see if it was a reprint from the late '60's. I mean, my cousins' famil
Lynn
Nov 24, 2013 Lynn rated it really liked it
Clearly I am going against the flow here but I LOVED the illustrations in this book. Just a hoot with wonderful humorous details like the underside of the cars all having brackets to hold them on and the seagulls hitching rides.

Can't wait to share this with my 3-year-old grandson and get his reaction. I thought this was charming and fun.
Sylvester
5* art
4* story

A traffic jam on the roadway - who caused it? Squirt and I both love this book. The illustrations are fantastic 60's retro, and each vehicle has a different sound. Fun to read aloud, especially if you can do a few different accents - or pretend to.
Linda Atkinson
Dec 13, 2013 Linda Atkinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, a noisy book! I love these for storytime. And I love the illustrations- don't judge me ;-)
Cemeread
May 16, 2014 Cemeread added it
Shelves: children
The illustrations in this book remind me of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang for some reason. The vehicles have plenty of flourish and color and seem a bit British. I'm undecided about the illustrations, but I could see them appealing to children of a certain age. The story itself is fairly simple. I liked all the noises to be made for each vehicle, especially since the sounds actually fit each vehicle. It might be fun to have a copy of a person who represents each vehicle for the children to pick out ...more
Kathryn
An extra star because the kiddo loves this book--and he got me to appreciate it, too. Honestly, I found the illustrations a bit garish at first but he was so drawn to them (he is one) and I started to see the attraction in the eye-popping colors and charm in the whimsical people and vehicles. The onomatopoeia adds an extra dollop of fun. It's retro and British and worth a second look, especially if your little one is into cars.
orangerful
Oh this is STORYTIME GOLD! Lots of different cars driven by different kinds of people all making different kinds of statements about the sounds their vehicles make. I cannot wait to try this out on Thursday with the toddler crowd. Great illustrations and a lot of fun, William Bee is becoming one of my go-to authors for programming.
Camille
Jun 02, 2014 Camille rated it liked it
I like the current trend of throwback illustrating. This looks like a 60s era picture book with more color than they would have used back then. The book is about a traffic jam, but focuses on a different vehicle on each spread. I love the opportunity to make noises and use different voices and accents this book provides and I would love to read it at a storytime.
Jill
Jan 06, 2016 Jill rated it it was amazing
Lots of great sounds for kids to make in this one!
Garren
Oct 31, 2016 Garren rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime-to-try
If you liked Drummer Hoff, this is basically a style tribute to that with an ABBA structure that I'm sure will please the kiddos. Looking forward to reading this in storytime.
Kelsey
Aug 12, 2016 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
William Bee's book features the story of a traffic jam caused by some sheep on a busy road. A policeman helps the traffic move along. Each page features a new kind of vehicle with unique occupants. Each kind of vehicle makes a unique noise. Children will enjoy joining in with the reader to make the car sounds. Finally, all of the people work together to herd the sheep into the field. Then, all of the cars drive by and make their noises. These last two pages tie all of the cars and characters ...more
Rachel
I found a train book by this author and got it for my son. We both liked the story and illustrations, so when I found this book at another branch, I immediately grabbed it. I liked this one way better than the last one as it seemed to have more of a storyline. A motorcycle cop pulls on the road to the beach only to find it completely stopped. He goes up the road and each car makes a different noise and response. He passes first a station wagon with a little girl who asks her parents “Are we ...more
Roben
Jan 06, 2014 Roben rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book! Many different people are trying to get to their various destinations - surfers to the beach, the ice cream truck to sell ice cream, the family going on vacation, and the street cleaner (who is happy to be stuck in traffic and get a bit of a break!), among others! Unfortunately, there's a bit of a jam - whatever could be holding up the traffic? This would be a good read-aloud - the illustrations reminded me a bit of Richard Scarry - all of his books were very popular with my ...more
Erin
Feb 05, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: toddler, picture-book
In this book, a police officer stops his motorcycle to check out what's causing a traffic jam. As the officer makes his way to the start of the jam, he passes a variety of different vehicles, and each one makes a different sound. Children will love echoing the sound effects and will appreciate the fact that the traffic jam was caused by a flock of sheep. While this book will be a terrific read aloud for groups, if you read it for a one on one session, be sure to pause to find the 15 snails ...more
Matthew
Sep 22, 2014 Matthew rated it liked it
Shelves: samuel-count
My two-year-old had trouble deciphering the illustrations and asked me a lot of questions about the vehicles we saw in the book. That wasn't annoying and it gave me a chance to answer his questions about parts of the car that he usually doesn't ask about. I wish the ending of the book brought back all of the cars instead of just listing the sounds again.

My son did enjoy the book, though and asked me to read it to him again once I was done. I think that is because he is obsessed with cars right n
Vivian
Aug 04, 2016 Vivian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
What I like about this picture book...

bright double-page spread poster-like illustrations on a pale blue field
a new sound for each vehicle that children can repeat with you (onomatopoeia -- go here for more info: http://examples.yourdictionary.com/5-...
repetitive elements making the story enjoyably predictable
inclusion of less familiar vehicles such as a Rolls-Royce, a race car, an ice-cream truck, a beach buggy and so on
an element of surprise at the end
all adding up to a truckload of fun !
Ashley
Jan 16, 2014 Ashley rated it it was ok
Onomatopoeia and nonsense words certainly have a lovely place in children's fiction, but the use in this book was not as colorful as it could of been. I don't think that every picture book has to rhyme and have a particular rhythm but it would of improved this book profoundly. Repetitive text without any sort of meter is difficult to read aloud, and the jaunty text may be confusing to independent readers.
Marilyn Olson
Apr 07, 2014 Marilyn Olson rated it liked it
Shelves: plnnj-reviewed
This story is about a policeman who is investigating a traffic jam. He is featured on every two page spread as he passes a family off on vacation, a duke and duchess, etc. until he reaches the cause of the traffic jam---a group of sheep on the loose. The illustrations are bright and colorful and full of details to be pored over by the reader. This will appeal to preschoolers who love motor vehicles.
Kristina Jean Lareau
I really enjoyed the detailed digital illustrations in this book. And I was pleased by the little puzzle on the copyright page. It made it a interactive.

The narrative, however, lacked substance and I feel as though the text did not match the detail of the illustrations. While this would make a great transportation storytime book for toddlers with all of the car sounds, it is not one I would add to my personal collection.
IRIFF
Stunning pictures, fun arrows and destinations, lots of noises, and some little extras (how many snails are there, again?) This was all right; I'm glad we read it for free. My son didn't reach for it as often as the other books we brought home on this last trip to the library, but it's worth checking out.
Whitney Rachel
Really it's a 1.5, but I'm in a good mood so I'll round up.

The illustrations are absolutely amazing. Retro, vibrant, and stimulating. That's about the extent of my praise for Bee's book.

I really wanted to like it, I did, but I just couldn't. The repetitive text only helped to hurt this book, in my opinion.
Jodie
Engaging illustrations and extra things to do with this book. Find 15 snails hidden in the book - younger readers will enjoy that. Onomatopoeia is a big part of the book, so this book could be used with those lessons.
A
Features a range of vrooming, chugging, and whispering vehicles driven by characters ranging from a beach-going family and hat-wearing royals to a noisy troupe of schoolchildren and a fretful ice-cream vendor.
Mary
This is a brief and simple story about a traffic jam and all of the people in it. There are lots of opportunities for the reader to make the noises of the people and the vehicles, but it wasn't tremendously engaging otherwise.
Elaine
Jan 16, 2015 Elaine rated it really liked it
This book is cute and simple for the younger audience in mind. Each page provides a chance to understand what different autos sound like. The illustrations are bright and vivid. Fans of cars, trucks and anything with wheels enjoyed the book during preschool storytime.
Kristine Hansen
Sep 08, 2014 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
A book that answers "why are the cars going nowhere." The drawings of each vehicle is fun and unexpected. The sounds are just right for each car, and the ending is surprising and fun. I'd read this one with my boys anytime and encourage them to make the noises with me.
Amy
Jan 09, 2014 Amy rated it it was ok
This book had such a great idea, but somehow I didn't fully love it. It seemed a tad redundant and it didn't seem to flow in parts. I did like that you can make the different sounds for the automobiles...that would be fun in storytime.
Alexandria Hiam
Vicki
Jan 20, 2014 Vicki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture, pre-school
Vehicle lovers and noise makers will enjoy this book full of a variety of trucks, cars all on their way to somewhere! The colorful illustrations in the book remind of a Beatles album cover or one from the 1960's, quite different.
carrietracy
Jun 20, 2015 carrietracy rated it really liked it
Love the pictures. Love the errant seagulls (go ahead, see if you can find them in each scene). Love the hidden snails. And my kid loves the cars, all of the fun cars.

I prefer this to pretty much all of the other car books out there.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Things I Can Do
  • My Bike
  • One Big Pair of Underwear
192975
William Bee was born in London but now lives in the English countryside. In addition to writing children’s books, he races a vintage sports car, is an international skier, and when at home tends his lawns and meadows.
More about William Bee...