Start by marking “Snowflakes Fall” as Want to Read:

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  455 Ratings  ·  131 Reviews
In Snowflakes Fall, Newbery Medalist Patricia MacLachlan and award-winning artist Steven Kellogg portray life’s natural cycle: its beauty, its joy, and its sorrow. Together, the words and pictures offer the promise of renewal that can be found in our lives—snowflakes fall, and return again as raindrops so that flowers can grow.

MacLachlan and Kellogg, who are longtime frien
Published October 29th 2013 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Snowflakes Fall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowflakes Fall

Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlanMore Perfect than the Moon by Patricia MacLachlanCaleb's Story by Patricia MacLachlanSkylark by Patricia MacLachlanGrandfather's Dance by Patricia MacLachlan
Best of Patricia MacLachlan
33rd out of 59 books — 2 voters
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsKaty and the Big Snow by Virginia Lee BurtonOwl Moon by Jane YolenStranger in the Woods by Carl R. Sams II
Snow Day Books
67th out of 75 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Aleisa
Dec 11, 2013 Aleisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a beautiful collaboration between MacLachlan and Kellogg written to honor the children of Sandy Hook Elementary. I had wondered how this would work in a picture book for young children but, fully trusting this author and illustrator, I pre-ordered it for the school. I just received it today and, wow. It's pretty much just a story about snowflakes and children and how they all are different. Until page 11 or so when the happy peaceful story is broken by this, "Wailing winds may blow/ ...more
Carol
Dec 05, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing
"A Snowflake.
A Child.
No two the same--
all beautiful.

A circular sticker with the above quote graces the cover of Snowflakes Fall. The sticker placed by Random House also notes that a donation has been made to The Sandy Hook School Support Fund.

If these two sentiments alone are not enough to encourage you to buy this book for a baby or little friend, just open it and let the pages take you on a journey. The illustrations are breathtakingly beautiful and the writing simple yet meaningful.

In the
Evie
Such a beautiful, moving story filled with images and metaphors that will melt your heart.

Snowflakes Fall is beautifully written and full of meaning. The illustrations are gorgeous and magical. This wonder of a book was created as a tribute to the victims of the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut that left 20 children, six adults and the gunman dead. The story celebrates the beauty of Winter, the uniqueness of each snowflake and each child, and the amazing circle of life. It's sad and emotional r
Sharon
Jan 15, 2014 Sharon rated it it was amazing
I was anxious for this title to get out of processing at our library. The wait was certainly worthwhile - I just finished reading this to my little girl; I cried. Naomi loved hearing the story.
Snowflakes Fall is beautifully rendered by the very talented Patricia MacLachlan and Steven Kellogg. The illustrations are filled with wonder and whimsy - one is transported into the snowy landscape with great joy! MacLachlan's prose is spot-on, not smarmy or overly sentimental. I believe with several mor
Linda
There is often a poignancy to Patricia MacLachlan’s stories, and this is no different. Despite the happiness shown by Stephen Kellogg of the children playing in the snow, and later, in the flowers, the story is also about loss, change of seasons on the surface, and loss of childhood perhaps as time moves on. The beauty of the snow and the snow-play and then the rain, finally flowery spring is extraordinary. At the end, the bittersweet words, “And we remember the children—No two the same—All Beau ...more
Virginia
The events of Sandy Hook in December of 2012 still affect me deeply two years later. This book by Patricia MacLachlan and Steven Kellogg is a bittersweet tribute to the fallen children and teachers of that day. It is easy enough to read the book without referring to the reason it was written, and can be a good read-aloud for discussion with students to see what connections they make.
Laurie
Dec 25, 2014 Laurie rated it liked it
La Coccinelle
Sep 24, 2014 La Coccinelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I was familiar with both the author (Sarah, Plain and Tall) and the illustrator (Pinkerton, Behave!) from my childhood, so when I saw that they had collaborated on this picture book, I knew it was probably going to be pretty good. Snowflakes Fall is a beautiful little book, a tribute to the children who died in Sandy Hook in 2012. Though it was inspired by an awful event, the book itself is charming and sweet, with a lovely message and well-crafted illustrations.

It's a simple premise, told in sp
Paula
May 21, 2014 Paula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This poignant tribute to the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victims is an unbroken verse that celebrates rebirth and individuality. MacLachlan’s words celebrate the joys of winter and the coming spring and childhoods spent in happy play. Kellogg’s lovely illustrations feature children reveling in the countryside snow and the changing of seasons. The references to falling snowflakes and snow angels in both text and illustrations aptly allude to the young victims, although the book is neith ...more
Cheri
Nov 22, 2013 Cheri rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I think that the illustrations would have been great on their own. The words left so much to be desired!! I was sorely disappointed, because I love Patricia MacLachlan's work, and I've been fortunate enough to meet her on several occasions. I was even more excited that this book's profits go to Sandy Hook. I just don't know how much I'd love reading this aloud to kids. I'll give it a go with the kindergarten next month and we'll see if I change my tune. Until then, it's a 3.
Laura Salas
Mar 13, 2014 Laura Salas rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, pbs
This picture book kind of puzzles me. It's a beautiful book, the writing is lovely, and I do love snow. And when it gets to the night part, and those "frantic, icy snowflakes scratch the window glass," well, that is just gripping and gorgeous. I love the entire book until I get to the final spread: "And we remember the children--No two the same--All beautiful."

Huh?

I saw afterward that this is connected to the Newtown/Sandy Hook tragedy, but most kids who happen upon this book will have no idea
Emily
Jun 14, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing
You can't go wrong with Steven Kellogg and Patricia MacLachlan. The illustrations, message, and dedication are beautiful, moving, and inspiring. When people create art to help themselves cope with a tragedy and share it with everyone, it touches the world and helps everyone else too.
Merri Platt
Oct 29, 2014 Merri Platt rated it really liked it
This story is about how the world looks like after snowflakes fall and what happens when the snowflakes melt. It details all the different places where snowflakes fall. It falls on people, it falls on the trees, it falls on houses, churches and rivers. It makes the world look all white and clean. When snowflakes fall a lot, children can enjoy the snow from inside their warm houses. It also explains that no two snowflakes are the same and they are all different just like children all over the wor ...more
Jade
Apr 04, 2014 Jade rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, prose
Beautifully written and full of meaning, Snowflakes Fall is a stunning collaboration between two award-winning icons of children’s literature. The illustrations are gorgeous, full of wonder and what ifs. Created as a tribute to the victims of the school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut the book generated revenue from the publisher to support the Sandy Hook School Fund. MacLachlan’s prose is appropriate for the situation and leaves you with a hope-filled heart. The illustrations celebrate the lov ...more
Samantha Ray
Nov 10, 2014 Samantha Ray rated it really liked it
This book would be appropriate for Preschool to Second Grade. This book is about how snowflakes fall, but no two snowflakes are the same. The authors relate this to how no two children are the same. Also, this book is about how snowflakes fall and melt, return as raindrops to allow flowers to grow.

An activity for this book would be for the students to draw pictures of the cycle of a snowflake as portrayed in the book. Also, to be able to recognize the overall message of this book.

MacLachlan, P.
Josiah
Jun 11, 2015 Josiah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book...oh this book...What can I say that would ever be worthy of it? The first time I read it, tears were streaming down my face before I reached the end of the first line. Every time I open it up and read it again, the same thing happens. Patricia MacLachlan has been capable of brilliance and has written brilliantly for her entire career, but many decades after the publication of her first story, I believe Snowflakes Fall may be her magnum opus. I was stunned anew with each turn of the p ...more
Margaret
Aug 02, 2013 Margaret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Edelweiss
Juvenile Fiction/Social Issues
Ages 3-7, Preschool - 2nd
Pages: 32 Hardcover 10x9.5"
Date Published: October 29, 2013
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers

The Johnny Appleseed: A Tall Tale picture book I grew up with was Steven Kellogg and the first chapter books to memory were Patricia MacLachlan so I was intrigued to see these two team up in a new picture book for winter.

Snowflakes Fall is beautiful. Perfect for a snowflake study as a poetic read aloud. Also wonderful as a read to expre
Jonathan
Jan 26, 2016 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
This has the distinction of being the only book with endpapers that have made me cry. There is a perfect way to read this book, if you don't know anything about it: First, be sure to skip over the dedication page at the front of the book. Then read the book. Then go back and read the dedication page. Then re-read the book, all the way to the last endpapers. This is a really moving combination of words and images, and it should have been, at least, a Caldecott Honor book.
Debbie Tanner
Feb 22, 2015 Debbie Tanner rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This is a book written as a tribute to the people who died at the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting. It's a collaboration between Steven Kellogg (amazing artist) and Patricia MacLachlan (spectacular writer). It's really about seasonality and individuality but the last line of the book makes reference to remembering the children. I guess if you wanted to open a dialogue about kids who died it would be a good one, but it seems like it's more a book for grownups than for kids.
Lynn
Apr 04, 2014 Lynn rated it it was amazing
Combining a great illustrator and fantastic writer give the reader a delightful experience.

Kellogg's interpretations provide strong support of the text. His trademark characters and style are evident, but there is a new depth to the colors and details.

Would be a wonderful book to prompt discussion of childhood memories, or to introduce the wonders of winter to an unsuspecting newcomer to northern life. Ideal mentor text for poetry that doesn't rhyme!
Claudia
First of all...a new Steven Kellogg! Then to see it's been written by Patricia MacLachlan! I was already hooked. As a book nerd, I read the dedication and started to weep. Kellogg lived in Newtown for years as his kids were growing up...he was active in the community and the school community. The tragedy there, at Sandy Hook, was personal to him. He and MacLachlan collaborated on this moving love song to all children, everywhere...so like snowflakes...all beautiful, none the same.

The book takes
Karen
Dec 14, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
I reviewed this book two days ago and gave it four stars. Then I read it again today, to my first grade son, on the third anniversary of Sandy Hook, and I got it. And the book got me. It is a five-star book.

The text for this book is wonderfully poetic and lyrical, it is lovely even without knowing the context. But with the context this book is stunning, and healing, and a heart-wrenchingly beautiful tribute.
Meagan Myhren-bennett
Oct 30, 2013 Meagan Myhren-bennett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: early-reader
by Patricia Maclachlan
Illustrations by Steven Kellogg

Celebrating the uniqueness of each life Snowflakes Fall is a thoughtfully written book for children. Like each snowflake that falls no two lives are just the same.

The seasons of life are seen in snowflakes. Where Spring brings rain, Winter brings snow. Life like the seasons progresses through times of trouble and sorrow and yet there are times of joy and happiness as well.

Snowflakes Fall celebrates the joys of knowing life ev
Elizabeth
Nov 30, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
This gorgeous celebration of snowflakes is brought to you by the winning combination of Patricia MacLachlan and Steven Kellogg. What is extra special is that Random House made a donation to the Sandy Hook School Support Fund with each of these books sold. In the book, there is a quick mention of the local library (which of course this librarian loved!).
Rosa Cline
Jul 08, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, winter
This was a beautifully illustrated simple storybook. Sometimes as I was reading it outloud wondered if it didn't start as a poem and the publisher took it and put a few lines per page to the illustrations. It is nice and at the end of the book wraps all the seasons into how snow melts and turns back into moisture for rain and waterfalls etc.
Lynne
I really like Patricia MacLachlan's writing. In this story, which is beautifully illustrated by Steven Kellogg, McLachlan highlight the idea of each snowflake being unique and each being beautiful. And then she ties the same idea to children - each unique, each beautiful. A beautiful book to share with little ones.
The Book Maven
Sep 15, 2014 The Book Maven rated it really liked it
Glancing through a book review publication last fall, I came across the review for this book, which was published as a tribute to the children of Sandy Hook. I suggested the library purchase it, and then promptly forgot about it. But moseying through the Library today, I noticed this book standing upright on the bookshelf. The cover alone was suitably eye-catching, and I’m a sucker for children enjoying seasons. A perfect fit!

As I flipped the pages and took in the simple story of the unique snow
Madimeier
This book is about snowflakes and the winter. It describes what the snowflakes do in the winter. It describes how the snowflakes are beautiful, they sit on gardens, trees, fur of dogs, tongues of laughing children, etc. This book is a good representation of what it is like when it snows in the winter.
Addison Children
Feb 05, 2014 Addison Children rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love Steven Kellogg's work and this book is no exception. Maclachlan's poem is quite nice. I'm not sure the two go together; the quiet serenity of the poem makes quite a juxtaposition with Kellogg's boisterous illustrations.Vast possibilities for one on one sharing with your favorite small person.
Carol Royce Owen
Sep 17, 2015 Carol Royce Owen rated it really liked it
I read this book without knowing it was a tribute to the families of Sandy Hook, CT, and found it so beautifully written and illustrated. When I read on this page that it was written os a tribute, I cried. What a special collaboration of two very talented individuals, for a very special cause.
  • Daisy Gets Lost
  • Big Snow
  • A Perfect Day
  • Dot.
  • Little Santa
  • Open This Little Book
  • The Invisible Boy
  • If It's Snowy and You Know It, Clap Your Paws!
  • Little Red Writing
  • Inside Outside
  • Carnivores
  • Eat Like a Bear
  • Giant Dance Party
Patricia MacLachlan is a bestselling U.S. children's author, best known for winning the 1986 Newbery Medal for her book Sarah, Plain and Tall.

For more information, please see http://www.answers.com/topic/patricia...
More about Patricia MacLachlan...