Start by marking “When a Texan Gambles (Wife Lottery, #2)” as Want to Read:
When a Texan Gambles (Wife Lottery, #2)

When a Texan Gambles (Wife Lottery #2)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,696 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
It all started when she got thrown off the wagon train. Now, a crook is dead, and Sarah Andrews has been raffled off in a "Wife Lottery." That seems bad enough—until she discovers her new groom with a knife in his back.

He just barely survives—and now if Sarah doesn't get him out of town fast, someone is going to make sure Sam Gatlin doesn't live long enough to enjoy the ho
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published October 28th 2003 by Jove (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about When a Texan Gambles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When a Texan Gambles

Lisa Kay
Nov 04, 2011 Lisa Kay rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of western romances, historical.
Recommended to Lisa Kay by: Dhestiny, Debbie, Denise, Lady D.
stars. This is the second book I’ve read by Jodi Thomas and I loved it!

cowboy

If you’ve read the back-of-the-book-synopsis, you know this is also the second book in the Wife Lottery series; Sam has previously paid Sarah’s fine to get her out of a Texas jail cell only to whisk her off with nary a word. It opens with the Gatlins on their rainy wedding night. Oh, and Sarah, confessed murderer, has taken one of his guns and hidden from him under the shabby hotel bed. As a bounty hunter, Sam has suffered
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

When a Texan Gambles is the second book in Jodi Thomas’ Wife Lottery series, and another winner! Delightful, heartwarming, joyous and funny. Tragic, heart-wrenching, thoughtful and somber. This book had me running the gamut of emotions, and I couldn’t put it down or turn the pages fast enough.

When it comes to these Texan men, Ms. Thomas has found the perfect combination of alpha and clueless and made them totally endearing even when they’re being stubborn and unreasonable, and I wouldn’t have t
valee
So many things to say about this book ...

I'll start by saying it has been a while since I read such an entertaining and original romance. I was amused the whole book because the hero and the heroine made an extremely well adapted couple, they were perfect for each other, even though they were not so sure about it at the beginning. I just have to say that this was a terrific book and one I need to recommend to you all, you wont believe how good it is once you get o read it. I really liked book 1
Ally72
Jul 25, 2010 Ally72 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: western-romances
This was another addicting book in the "Wife Lottery" series by Jodi Thomas! I did not think the second book could follow the first one as it definitely became one of my favorite historical romance books. I was wrong! I enjoyed this book as much as the first book (and in some ways more). Sam was a lonely bounty hunter who paid for the release of Sarah from jail. She and two other women were thought to have murdered an evil mountain man. The entire town is not especially concerned with the suppos ...more
Duchess Nicole
3.5 stars...the hero and heroine came across as a little dumb sometimes, and it was a little too obvious. Still, a unique take on a western romance. Love the wife lottery books so far. Watching a couple learn to love each other when they're perfect strangers is lovely.

Also, I loved the way it ended, but a short epilogue would have been nice.
KatLynne
My second book by this author and the second in the Wife Lottery Series and I loved it!

I am somewhat thrilled and surprised to love this book. I don't normally read Western Romance but thanks to many GR friends and their introduction to some awesome books, I think I have found a new sub-genre!

Repeating myself I know, but for me to really like a book it must have a hero that I love...I can get by with a heroine that's just so-so and even at times a slow moving story..maybe:) But the hero has to
Mimi Smith
Aug 15, 2014 Mimi Smith rated it liked it

I have to admit I'm kind of disappointed in this one. Mostly because I loved Bailee's story and this was just ok.

Moving along we now follow Sarah and Sam on their journey...

The Bad News(For me!)

Were the things I didn't like:

Sarah annoyed me to no end. I can't even begin to count how many times she said I'M FRAGILE. For real! She's constantly trying to find things to dislike about Sam, so she can keep him at arm's length. And then her transformation into a tough girl...Really? She w
Ronyell
I have been currently reading Jodi Thomas's “Wife Lottery” series and after I have just finished the first book of the series, “The Texan's Wager,” which starred Bailee Moore and Carter McKoy, I finally got the chance to read the second book of the series, “When a Texan Gambles.” “When a Texan Gambles” stars Sarah Andrews and Sam Gatlin and boy, do they have wild adventures throughout this book! Expect a whole lot of drama, adventure and romance in this exciting sequel to “The Texan's Wager!”

Aft
Lucie "a heart so wild"
This should be a Western Beauty & The Beast, Angel with the Scary Gunfighter in the 'wife lottery' series & mixed with 'nursing to health' theme...
Very intriguing from the beginning...full of action, wonderful character and perfect couple!
I thought Sarah is a bit weak, frail & fragile as she keeps saying it...but she is face with a different circumstances that has to made her tough & strong...its really fun to read this book!! Hero also alpha & wonderful...

Bravo Jodi Thomas!
Kari
Dec 27, 2014 Kari rated it really liked it
Shelves: cowboy-west
Not as good as the first one, but I really enjoyed it. Can't wait to see what happens to Lacy in the next book.
⊱ Irena ⊰
Sarah's story.
Sam Gatlin, a famous bounty hunter, was the one whose name Sarah drew out from the lottery hat. They left Cedar Point, but his plans to take her somewhere nice were ruined when someone stabbed him. So they had to take a detour.

"If he’s alive when you get there, he’s got a chance. If he’s dead, bury him and don’t tell a soul, not even me.”
“But why?”
Denver smiled. “ ‘Cause legends aren’t suppose to die.”

At first he was intimidating and she doesn't trust him. Not surprising the wa
Widala
Feb 07, 2016 Widala rated it really liked it
Another great read from Jodi Thomas.
Sarah was an interesting heroine. In the first book it was mentioned that she was fragile with the face of an angel. Well, there's nothing fragile about her. She had a dry sense of humour and sometimes the attitude of someone who had nothing to lose, but she's not desperate. She's stronger than she gave herself credit for.
Sam was an endearing hero. Years living in a violent world, but he managed to keep his good heart.
Writing this review after reading all th
nurmawati
May 05, 2012 nurmawati rated it really liked it

ini buke ke 2 dari serial wife lottery...
bagi y belom pernah baca..sedikit refresh....ada 3 ce yang di penjara gara2 membunuh penjahat yg mau menculik dan memperkosa salah satu diantara mereka...akhirnya tanpa sengaja mereka membunuh si bandit...
terpaksa mereka di penjara....
sherriff disana memberi kesempatan mereka buat bebas kalo ada yng mau bayar apa tuh semacam uang pembebasan...juga mereka harus udah menikah secara di west sana kebanyakan co dan jarang ce.....
disamping juga buat melindungi
Ana T.
A while back I read Jodi Thomas's A Texan's Wager and really enjoyed it. So naturally I was looking forward to continue with the series. Unfortunately this When a Texan Gambles is not as good.

The series name is The Wife Lottery, three women confess to murder and the town's sheriff, due to lack of evidence to trial them, lack of women for the men, and lack of space and provisions to keep them in jail decides to give them in marriage to the man who offers to pay their fine. In the first book Baile
Jenna (BadKitty) -- IsProbablyReading --
I really liked this one. I thought that Sarah's character was believable and that Sam's character was endearingly and also believably human. I loved the personal growth and transformation that Sarah experienced over the course of the book and how she and Sam grew so close through some very trying circumstances. The romance was sweet and heartwarming and I liked it even more than the first book in the series, which was quite good. Recommended especially if you like historical westerns.
Iza
May 20, 2014 Iza rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical, western
Oh My God, this was a torture! I barely finished the book, skipping through the last 30% of it, because that woman PISSED ME OFF! How can somebody be so stupid and judgmental? She decided that Sam is a mean wife-beating, drinking criminal who leaves his children in a forest without blinking, just by speaking to him once! Not only that, but she is a horrible tease and absolutely stupid! Did I mention stupid?! I couldn't read about her, but I also couldn't give up on another book so a made myself ...more
Marleen
Feb 26, 2012 Marleen rated it did not like it
When I started I truly hoped that I would’ve liked this book better, but it turns out it was a disappointing read all the way through to the end. I was unimpressed with the characterization of Sarah and Sam Gatlin/Garrett.
Contrary to the first Wife Lottery book, it felt like this was written in haste; with stilted prose. I had high hopes when I discovered Jodi Thomas, writer of historical Western romances, that I’d find a writer who would deliver fun and light reads but nonetheless great entert
June
May 31, 2011 June rated it really liked it
What else can go wrong for Sarah Andrews who has just become a widow and her baby has died, and then she was thrown off a wagon train along with 2 other women headed west b/c the people think she has "the fever". To top it all off the 3 women are attacked by a no account criminal, after killing him they are arrested and then put in a wife lottery by the sheriff.

Sam Gatlin, bounty hunter wins her in the wife lottery. His idea is to bed his wife as soon as possible, Sarah his wife is not having it
Carolyn F.
Aug 03, 2012 Carolyn F. rated it liked it
All throughout this book I kept thinking the men who won the wife lottery all had blue balls. I'm hoping that the third book isn't more of the same.

This book is about Sarah, the "fragile" widow whose husband and baby died on the wagon train. Sam's name is pulled from the hat and while saying she's going to do her wifely duty and hope he doesn't leave, she pulls a gun on him the first night and says wifely duty doesn't include sex. Then she's all selfish wanting him to wait until she says it's a
Megan
I really enjoyed this book. It is the second book in the "Wife Lottery" series. I always thought that Sarah was frail and weak, but I was very very wrong.

Sarah is married off to Sam Gaitln so she won't have to go to prison for murder. The only problem is the man she thinks she killed isn't dead. Sam is a bounty hunter and is always getting shot at. They are quite the dangerous couple. :) Sarah married him and plans on being married to him for life, but her biggest challenge is keeping him alive.
Heidi
Oct 18, 2012 Heidi rated it really liked it
I really liked Sam and Sarah! Their dialog was great! It had me chuckling many times!Her "rules" were priceless. Sarah was so much stronger than she made out to be or thought of herself and Sam knew it! He knew her better then she knew herself! Loved when he told her she was as "fragile" as he was lucky!

There were a couple things that bothered me a bit, like the fact that Sam healed so fast after his wounds(c'mon really? I'm no doctor, but I don't think so!) I also wish Sarah might have grieved
Diah Didi
Sep 01, 2011 Diah Didi rated it really liked it
I had a great expectation when I started this since I looooove the first book so much. But somehow I didn't really feel the chemistry between Sarah and Sam. Maybe it's because I stop reading it for couple of days.
I'd gave it 3,5 stars. But there were some parts I like that I decided to give it 4 stars. Especially on parts where Sam most of the time thought he didn't deserve Sarah. Or when Jacob showed up couple of times.

My favorite part:
She was, however, no good for his image as a tough man. It
Sep 23, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this fun, romantic story and if you like Western Romances you will definitely enjoy it too. I thought the first book in this series was even better but this one is definitely good and I plan to read then all.

Jodi Thomas is a great writer in that her stories come to life, move along, are very readable, and just plain fun and enjoyable.

The reason I did not rate this one higher is because while it was good it also seemed somewhat formulaic. Feisty girl who gets angry over nothing
Brandy *Ahviel*
When we first meet Sarah Andrews she was frail and we believed that she was even close to death. Yet here she is being dragged all over by her Husband who I just adore. Sam is a Bounty Hunter, but Sarah doesn't know that all she knows at first is that people are trying to kill her husband.
I loved how they had to work together for him to survive all the shootings. She really was never in any trouble and yet he was in the one that was in trouble. It was a nice change of pace from the first book.
Jae
I was expecting this book to be as good as book #1, but I was kinda disappointed with it.

The plot was close to non existence, the heroine can't stop nagging at her husband, the husband was blinded by her beauty all the time to actually think straight and the bad guys were too easily killed. I just wanted it to be over, not really caring about what happened.

This was just a so so book, not as mind-blowing as Bailee's story. I hope Lacy's story will improve a bit from this one.
Gail
Jul 19, 2011 Gail rated it really liked it
The adorable Wife Lottery series continues with When a Texan Gambles. I just really enjoy this author and the three charming ladies in these books. They're unique and engaging, with nary a Mary Sue or Perfect Penelope in the bunch. In this outing, the hero is a cold, dark avenger -- a feared bounty hunter with a soft side no one would guess. The heroine is totally naive but not in an annoying way. And she's funny and loyal and stubborn. An easy, breezy read.
Luli
Después de leer The texans wager apenas reconozco a la protagonista de este libro. No sé porque me dio la sensación de que iba a ser una chica sensible e inteligente, nada más lejos de la realidad. Es una mujer desesperante, egoísta y poco lista. Ninguno de los dos protagonistas son muy listos y la autora juega demasiado con malentendidos para que la historia tenga algo de sustancia. Me ha parecido un poco tonta, simplona, llena de clichés y personajes planos, sin fondo. Estuvo mejor la primera ...more
Ruth
Sep 25, 2010 Ruth rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful, sweet love story between two great, classic characters. It's not vomit-enducing sweet, but just well-written such that it's credible, and enjoyable. It's not super-steamy, but is more sensual than the first in the series, and there is action, but nothing gruesome, or couch-gripping suspenseful.

I really enjoyed reading this book. Will probably keep it on my kindle for when I'm feeling soppy.
ValerieC
Nov 29, 2011 ValerieC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Liked this one... had a great ending. I am not sure that I will read the next two books... I didn't feel the need to spend so much for two more characters from Book 1 that didn't make me want to find out what happened to them. Also, I felt liked Sarah had bounced back from practically being dead much too fast in this book.
Becky ♡The Bookworm♡
I really enjoy reading about a strong hero finally finding his soul mate. The first book in the Wife Lottery series is still my favorite, but I liked the heroine in this one much better. Sarah was strong and stubborn, despite her fears of intimacy and abandonment. The author took time building the relationship between the couple and we "see" them fall in love. I liked Sarah's dedication and commitment to love and care for her husband, even though she did not know him, and equally respected Sam f ...more
Nothing But Readi...: Thomas, Jodi - When a Texan Gambles (Wife Lottery #2) 80 63 Nov 04, 2011 03:50PM
  • Texas Splendor (Leigh Brothers Texas Trilogy, #3)
  • Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, #1)
  • Heartbreak Creek (Runaway Brides #1)
  • Silver Lining
  • His Secondhand Wife
  • A Taste Of Heaven
  • Mustang Wild (Wild, #1)
  • Keegan's Lady
20273
I'm a New York Times and USA Today Best Selling author, wife, mother, in-law, grandmother, sister, friend, and owner of one fat cat.
More about Jodi Thomas...

Wife Lottery (4 books)
  • The Texan's Wager (Wife Lottery, #1)
  • A Texan's Luck (Wife Lottery, #3)
  • The Texan's Reward (Wife Lottery, #4)