Start by marking “Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy, #1)

Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy #1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Kyrus Hinterdale has never dreamed. Neither has Brannis Solaran. What they once thought were dreams were really windows into another world. Linked by fate, and a mystical connection that they do not fully understand, each of them watches the events of the other’s life when they close their eyes to sleep. Kyrus’ world is ruled by reason and bustling trade, while Brannis liv ...more
Published February 7th 2013 by Magical Scrivener Press (first published January 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Firehurler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firehurler

Doc Kalb
An excellent novel with a unique plot. Very well written with accomplished character development and a cohesive story line that melded well from start to finish. It held my interest throughout and left me looking forward to future novels in the series.
Richard
Kyrus lives in peaceful world, trade and business are important, they have a sophisticated view of the world, they do not execute criminals, magic is viewed by most as something that doesn’t exist, education and intelligence are highly valued. Kyrus himself is a scribe, somewhat lacking in confidence and likes a peaceful life. Every night he dreams he is another man in a vastly different world, that man is Brannis.
Brannis lives in a war torn empire, with enemies on every border, strength and pow
M.L. Chesley
I have to say that this book really caught me off guard in a good way. This is some serious, classic fantasy. This is sword and sorcery, high fantasy, epic, hard fantasy, you name it. Don't let the size of the book put you off, it is long, yes. However, this is a world that needs some time to be built in the reader's eye and with good reason and fabulous end results.

Kyrus is just an ordinary man making a living at something he's good at. He never suspects that his dreams might actually be real s
Lillith
This story weaves together warlocks and knights with scriveners and pirates. Some settings are magical and some are mundane, and all of it works. Firehurler is just the right length with just the right cast of characters, and the writing is excellent. This is going in my beloved books list. I cannot wait to read more.
Amber
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Wow. This book.
Everything was fantastic.
I so completely believed that this book would most likely be terrible, but god was i proved wrong.
If you have the chance to read it, do so.
Nikki
I loved the unique storyline of this novel. It was such a refreshing concept, unlike the similarities seen among many fantasy novels. The idea of the duel storyline, with corresponding characters in two different worlds was unique and fascinating. The novel doesn’t answer all the questions about exactly how these duel lives work, but I found that to be part of the charm.

“Firehurler” is not a short novel by any means, though it isn’t all that exceptional in length for fantasy novels in general.
C J
Love, love, love this book! A refreshing new concept that immersed me in the story. Well developed characters with flaws and virtues, it's easy to get caught up in the lives of not only the major characters but many of the lesser characters. Reading it again because I was in such a hurry to find out what happens I may have missed what might be important details for subsequent books. Highly recommend this book to anyone interested in this genre! Anxious for Book 2!
Jen
Lots of depth in this world and a host of fantastic characters! Sorcerers and goblins and knights...oh my!
Hydra Star
Having dual story lines rich with characters and action taking place in two different worlds, neither of which is our own, this story takes its time setting up for the book’s main event, an epic battle between humans and goblins with a dragon and a demon thrown into the mix for good measure. However, if you aren’t afraid of a book with 600+ page count and like high fantasy, you can’t go wrong here.

With that considerable length in mind and all the characters and action, I won’t attempt to summari
Scot
This is the first installment in a three volume fantasy trilogy. Be forewarned: if you read it, you’ll become pulled into the evolving storylines enough that you’ll want to keep going into the later books to find out what happens, and that will be a time commitment of some length, as this volume alone runs to 542 pages. However, if you appreciate the measured literary construction of well flushed out fantasy worlds, with varying racial, cultural, and even sentient species groups, I do think you’ ...more
Tim
"Firehurler" is the first book in a trilogy. I picked it up for my Kindle on a whim, and I wasn't disappointed. Brannis Solaran is a knight born of a family of sorcerers. He is not a typical knight as he has developed a real feel for tactics in battle. His best friend is Iridan, a sorcerer he met in the Academy and one he treats like a brother. Together, they have been sent to investigate an incursion into their kingdom by Goblins.

Kyrus Hinterdale is a scribe - a newly minted expert scrivener. H
Alayna Barnett
This is one of those books that as soon as you think you know what's going to happen...you don't. The worlds are rich and lifelike, and full of characters that you can't help caring about. I was glued to my tablet, reading every chance I got, because I just couldn't wait to find out what was going to develop next! If you like a good adventure with a plot so twisty it should qualify as a pretzel, this is definitely a book for you.
Karen
I am not a huge fantasy fan and for that one reason, I had a hard time BUT I will also say that I loved the plot, the characters and the language. Good one for those of us who aren't fans of fantasy!
Ashley Hackney
Loved the story and development of characters but it was so slow it was hard for me to stay interested.
Bernard Campbell
A solid 3 star read.
The story revolves around four characters who exist in two different worlds.
A knight who although coming from a family of strong sorcerers find himself without any magic. He is linked (via his dreams) to a simple scribe who lives in a world without open magic. And he Kryus, seems to inherit all of Brannis's magical ability.
A pirate king (from Kyrus's world) is linked to a powerful age from Brannis's - and soon the four are linked against each other in a war.
Simple writing
J.R.
Right from the get go you realise that J.S. Morin draws from some classic fantasy influences to craft this epic tale. While there's no orphan farm boys in sight, we have an excellent cast of characters to work with.

Brannis Solaran has already been introduced to us by the prequel novella War-Bringer. He's a tough son of a gun who stems from a magical family without having any inherent magic of his own. He's your classic military tactician who has earned his stripes through numerous battles for th
Steven Guscott
Firehurler is a brilliant fantasy story with a simple and wonderfully creative plot device; essentially it gives the reader two stories in one, but is really one story (if that makes sense). Morin’s plot device consists of two worlds linked and running side by side which makes this story very interesting. It allows for some fun character interaction across the link and uniquely affects how the characters behave in each world. I really enjoyed the plot devices impact on the story and it is used w ...more
Natalie
Rudy Dyck
This indie fantasy was a great book (no spoilers ahead). I like reading fantasy although the books in this genre I have read lately have largely steered away from classic fantasy and are darker, grittier and minimize magic as well as different races. Not so with this book which is definitely set in a more traditional environment.

Before I go any further I need to stress that the core of this book is in the characters. The book focuses on four main characters and two in particular. There are other
Aidan Stone
This book read as would R. A. Salvatore. However, the double plot line was the clincher that set it apart. I will not spoil the book, but there are several things happening at the same time, each of which added to my experience. The wording was perfect for the story, although, grammar Nazis might not agree. Every character was well developed, and the scenes were described in vivid detail. I read the prequel to this book "Warbringer" and simply had to continue. Witches, Warlocks, Knights, goblins ...more
Larry B Gray
Firehurler, Book 1 of the Twinborn Trilogy, by J.S. Morin is a book that will light a fire in all true fantasy lovers’ heart. This book is hard to put down once you start reading it.

The storyline is well developed and easy to follow. It was full of fast paced action and adventure. I really enjoyed the various storylines and watching them begin to come together. The author rarely gave you chance to catch your breath before the action came at you again.

I really liked the way J.S. Morin developed h
Maria Mitchell
I received Firehurler by author J.S. Morin for free from Goodreads First Reads Giveaways to review.

First off I have to say that this is not a book to read when you're tired. I work overnights and do alot of my reading then and it took me a very long time to get through this book for that reason. It's a long sweeping epic fantasy and was really good but the print was small and the book was long. Hence the 3 star rating. However, I did still like this book quite a bit. Magic, evil, good, battles,
Jen
My husband and I finished the trilogy the other night, and both of us really enjoyed it. At my husband's recommendation, I picked it up to help fill the dark hours staying up with our new baby, and at first I thought, "Meh, generic fantasy. It's not terrible, so I'll keep going." Then things got interesting, I finished Firehurler and I still couldn't tell who the bad guys were, so I was glad we had the second book already.

It was a very good read that kept me on my toes; I ended up reading long a
JinkM
Thank you Goodreads. I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. This was a fantastic book. The characters were well developed, the plot was well thought out, and even though it read a little slowly at the beginning, it was only because J.S. Morin had a big world to build. Two worlds, in fact. And it was cleverly done; not at all boring. The author really did a good job of immersing me in the story. I finished this book a couple of months ago and still find myself wondering what ...more
Tom Park
Again, I have to check whether or not a book is in a series or is stand alone. While this was a reasonably good read, it really took too long to get to what any reader knew would happen. Then the reader discovers that it is not the end of the story but continues on into the future - books. It has an interesting concept of two worlds with some characters able to communicate with characters of the other world, in dreams. While I finished the book, I really don't believe I will make any effort to d ...more
Jody
Firehurler tells of the link between Kyrus, the scribe by day and Brannis, the warrior by night in a great fantasy where two world meet and between them they must find a way to save the world. The character development is excellent, the story one that keeps you thinking about it even when you have to stop to go to work and one of the best fantasies I have ever read. Best part of Firehurler is that it is part of the Twinborn trilogy so more is to come...
Saskia
I liked this book. The world building was good and The different points of view. The battle scene did drag on a bit though
Bob
wow, great start to what seems will be a great trilogy!
Katrina Swaim
It took me about thirty pages to really get into it, but did I ever! A fun, unique fantasy premise with a well-paced plot, strong characters, and not one but TWO fully fleshed-out worlds. I finished the first book and turned around to order the second that same minute. Lovers of fantasy will find plenty to enjoy here.
  • The God King (Heirs of the Fallen, #1)
  • Darkspire Reaches
  • The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree (The Outlaw King, #1)
  • Through the Wildwood (The Legend of Vanx Malic #1)
  • Draykon (Draykon, #1)
  • Treespeaker
  • Frozen Prospects (The Guadel Chronicles, #1)
  • 7 Folds of Winter
  • The Cestus Concern (Weir Codex, #1)
  • The Prince of Ravens (The Exile Series, #1)
  • Seeking Solace: Book I Solace
  • Brood of Bones
  • The Prophecy (Bakkian Chronicles, #1)
  • Enoch's Device
  • Brimstone (Earth, Air, Fire and Water , #1)
  • Critical Failures
  • The Storm Dragon's Heart (Storm Phase #1)
  • Blood of the King (Khirro's Journey, #1)
J.S. Morin is a writer of epic fantasy. He enjoys strategy, world-building, and filling in the missing words that English forgot. His ultimate goal is to be both clever and right at the same time.

Morin's first fantasy series, the Twinborn Trilogy explores the idea that while we sleep, some of us see through the eyes of another version of ourselves in another world. The connection works both ways a
More about J.S. Morin...

Twinborn Trilogy (3 books)
  • Aethersmith (Twinborn Trilogy, #2)
  • Sourcethief (Twinborn Trilogy, #3)
Mad Tinker's Daughter (Mad Tinker Chronicles, #1) Aethersmith (Twinborn Trilogy, #2) Sourcethief (Twinborn Trilogy, #3) War-Bringer (Twinborn Trilogy, #0.5) Rebel Skyforce (Mad Tinker Chronicles, #2)