Start by marking “The Submissive (Submissive, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Submissive (Submissive, #1)
Read Excerpt* *Different edition

The Submissive (Submissive #1)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  13,066 ratings  ·  1,022 reviews
Book One of the Submissive Trilogy
More than 8 Million Reads Online

The first in Tara Sue Me’s seductive and scandalous series that has enthralled millions…

Abby King has a secret fantasy.

New York knows Nathaniel West as the brilliant and handsome CEO of West Industries, but Abby knows he’s more: a sexy and skilled dominant who is looking for a new submissive. Yearning to exp
Published February 7th 2013 by Penguin Publishing (first published November 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Submissive, please sign up.

JD Switz This story was actually completed online WAAAY BEFORE Fifty Shades of Grey was completed. And it is soooo much better.

Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

5+++++ Stellar, fantastical, panty-melting stars! Tara Sue Me (love the play on tiramisu) where have you been the past years of my erotica-reading life!

Fan girling photo: Fan Girling Minions Fangirling_zps237daf7d.gif

One question people? Why isn't this book all over my Goodreads feeds? I mean, anyone who's read and loved anything remotely similar to FSoG, you shall LOVE this. I bank my GR reputation on it. I HATE bringing up FSoG in a review but this book has a particular link I shall explain in the end. No sidetracking yet.

Meet Nathaniel West, successful C
Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽
Another fan fiction/Fifty book you ask?

Yes...it is exactly that. Well, not exactly. Apparently, this is the book that E.L. James got some of her ideas from...that and Twilight. And while I didn't really get a lot of Twilight from this book, you can definitely see the things that E.L. James picked out of it. As far as it being a fan fiction, the only clue I had was the lack of the character's physical descriptions.

That being said, I really enjoyed the heck of it. I'm not sure what's happened but
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
 photo MeThesubmissive1TitlebySueBee_zps194fbdca.jpg
1/2! The Submissive, book 1 of 3. Debut by Tara Sue Me. Librarian Abigail King’s journey of self-discovery when becoming the Submissive to the enigmatic Nathaniel West!

The Submissive Trilogy is the story of Nathaniel West, successful businessman and Dom extraordinaire and the BDSM relationship he embarks on with librarian Abigal King. Books in this t
Akanksha❤ Søren♰
“A cream-colored rose with a touch of pink is serious business."

“The red rose whispers of passion,
And the white rose breathes of love;
O the red rose is a falcon,
And the white rose is a dove.
But I send you a cream-white rosebud
With a flush on its petal tips;
For the love that is purest and sweetest
Has a kiss of desire on the lips.”

The Submissive, Is a book about a girl Abigail King becoming a submissive to a Dom, Nathaniel West.
It starts off which her meeting him to discuss if she's a suitable s
tonya.
I think everyone paying attention lately has some strong feelings about the spate of fanfiction (largely Twilight-derived) getting massive publishing deals. My initial feeling of distaste has evolved into a kind of reluctant acceptance. Fifty Shades of Grey has changed the nature of publishing--for better or for worse--and if it's going to happen regardless, I'd like to see it happen to good people with actual talent.

Which is why it pains me to write this review.

I read The Submissive when it was
Sanny
Where to begin?

It's probably pointless to point out that this was written BEFORE 50 Shades and thus people should stop whining about the similarities and think for a moment: This author didn't rip off your precious 50 shades.

Sorry, couldn't help myself, it's getting on my nerves big time and I'm trying hard not to turn this into a rant against 50 shades.

Instead I want to focus on something else first: why does everyone whine about fan fiction authors being published? Is someone forcing you to
~Tina~
"Your safe word is turpentine.
Say it and this ends immediately. You take the collar off, drive away, and never return."

The Submissive by Tara Sue Me, already has a very special place in my heart. I read this trilogy back when it was online and we had to wait chapter by agonizing chapter to find out what happens next.
I can't begin to express how excited and happy I am that Tara decided to publish her original work.
It will be treasure among my favorites for life.

I have a confession. The Submissiv
Mike
The Submissive: A Not So Walk on the Wild Side

In olden days, a glimpse of stocking
Was looked on as something shocking.
But now, God knows,
Anything goes.
Good authors too who once knew better words
Now only use four-letter words
Writing prose.
Anything goes.
If driving fast cars you like,
If low bars you like,
If old hymns you like,
If bare limbs you like,
If Mae West you like,
Or me undressed you like,
Why, nobody will oppose.
When ev"ry night the set that"s smart is in-
Truding at nudist parties in
Studios.
A
Jen
This book came to my attention when I noticed one of my Goodreads friend reading it. I decided to check it out, and I have to say that I am sure glad that I did. Yes, it has a lot of similarities to "Fifty Shades," but it had its own uniqueness that makes this story stand out and rise above the other book. I should also mention that this book originally came out before the "Fifty Shades' trilogy even existed.

We have a librarian by the name of Abigail King who has been made aware that a man that
Raechel
I have read this as Twilight Fan Fiction. I will read it as published work. Why? Because to me this is as close as vanilla people will get to the real thing without experiencing it in real life. Yes, it is not a perfect relationship and mistakes happen but that is life. Life does get in the way of things and what we want has to take a back seat for a little while. Trust me been there done that.

In fact people who know I live the lifestyle ask me what fanfic to read that is close to what I do I gi
I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com)
At what point in the future will all the fan fiction haters just relax and let a good book be a good book without downgrading it for how it began? Who freaking cares that it was previously fan fiction? I certainly do not. Nor do I understand what compels the haters to rate a book that they have never read and never plan to read. Authors have taken good ideas and put their own spin on it for ages, so, kudos to all the fan fiction writers for taking a chance and actually getting published. I comme ...more
Rose
I suppose it's worth starting off this review with the notation that I knew this was formerly a Twilight fanfic published under the same title and same penname. I also knew that this was the story that "inspired" Fifty Shades author E.L. James, so before anyone starts foaming at the mouth about how this is another knock off of "Fifty Shades" - it's not. This came first.

I have not read the original fanfic to compare, though I arrived to read this in a way that was completely blind - didn't reall
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Το τι συζητήσεις επί συζητήσεων προκάλεσαν οι "Πενήντα Αποχρώσεις", είναι μάλλον περιττό να το αναφέρουμε αφού κι εμείς εδώ, το υπεραναλύσαμε ξανά και ξανά, μέχρι τελικής πτώσεως. Όμως μετά την τριλογία της James, ακολούθησε ένα κύμα ερωτικής λογοτεχνίας που έπνιξε την αγορά, πράγμα το οποίο ευχαρίστησε πολλές αναγνώστριες, δυσαρέστησε κάποιους άλλους, με ορισμένα από τα συγκεκριμένα βιβλία να είναι πραγματικά καλά, κάποια άλλα συμπαθητικά ενώ υπάρχει πάντα και μια τρίτη κατηγορία, εκείνη που σε ...more
Mirjana ***Let's Sound It Out - - - Mary-On-A***
First and foremost, yes, you're going to compare this to FSoG....it's only natural (even though this chicken came before the Grey egg). Will you like it less? Will you like it more? That's completely up to you. But I will say one thing when it comes to the comparisons.....Anastasia Steele is no Abigail King! I loved Abby! She wasn't a pushover, she knew what she wanted, she was smart, she was witty, she owned her sexuality and she was confident in her skin. However, the same can't be said for ou ...more
Tommehbell
The Nitty Gritty: Its a spanking good time as a timid librarian finds her way through the dark and salacious world of BDSM. Just a simple tale of a submissive trying to find her way.

In The Submissive we meet mild mannered librarian Abby King. Seriously this is the worst characterization of a profession that I have ever seen, but that is neither here nor there.

Back to my review.

Something is simmering below the surface however. Abby has a desire to put her sexual pleasure in the expert hands of
Carole-Ann
Not even going there with the BDSM tag!! 'cos BDSM it wasn't.

OK, got stuck right at the beginning: WHY was Abigail King standing 'submissively' in Nathaniel West's office?? Nope, no reason, just jump headlong into the story leaving me asking why? why? why? on every alternate page. AND, btw (just sayin') Abby has NEVER submitted before, is a complete novice, and totally innocent of the kinky stuff!!!!!!!

Now, Nathaniel almost made me change my mind: brooding Dom, sexy manner/voice, arrogance inclu
Isabel
This was a very addictive book, I read it in only two days... It has very hot sex scenes, though the BDSM ones are very soft. Nevertheless it's a beautiful love story, full of passion and desire!

There are two wonderful things for which I fell in love with in this book:

"A White Rose

THE red rose whispers of passion,
And the white rose breathes of love;
O, the red rose is a falcon,
And the white rose is a dove.

But I send you a cream-white rosebud
With a flush on its petal tips;
For the love that is pur
Vikki ~ *squee* lite ~

This was only ok for me. I couldn't for the life of me connect with either Abby or Nathaniel. The beginning in particular was hard, because Abby seemed to get attached to Nathaniel quickly and I just couldn't see what she was attached to (emotionally). The whole thing up until (view spoiler) seemed just very clinical and detached. While their relationship progresses, it still didn't feel natural to me. I never really cared of they got together. (vie
Nikoleta
Από την αρχή έως και κάποιο σημείο δεν μου άρεσε καθόλου. Το βρήκα ψυχρό, απότομο, περιττά χυδαίο και τους χαρακτήρες βαρετούς. Eιδικά την πρωταγωνίστρια μονοκόμματη κ υπερβολικά…πειθήνια. Στην πορεία όμως άρχισε να γίνεται καλό και από καλό καλύτερο. Η ευχαρίστηση της ανάγνωσης ανέβαινε σελίδα σελίδα καθώς η πρωταγωνίστρια άρχιζε να εκφράζει την τσαχπίνικη και δυναμική πλευρά της και επιτέλους έγινε παιχνίδι! Τελικά ναι, μέχρι να διαβάσω και την τελευταία σελίδα κατέληξα ότι μου άρεσε αρκετά!
Vaso
Τολμώ να πώ οτι το βρήκα ιδιαιτέρως απολαυστικό!!!!
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Note to self: Twilight fan fic
Jamie
A very hot and sexy read. A great blend of bedroom fun, angst and sweet romance!

Abigail (Abby) King has just applied for the position as Nathaniel West's new submissive. She has desired him from afar and is considered otherwise unobtainable. he is rich, powerful and very in control of his life. She is a librarian with a easy-going disposition that is easy to like.

Abby takes going after what you want to new extremes entering into a BDSM relationship. It starts off very professional-papers to sig
Anna  (Martini Times Romance)
There’s a lot of controversy surrounding pulled to published (P2P) fanfiction. I used to be one of those avidly opposed to the idea. I will still never read Fifty Shades of Grey for personal reasons regarding E. L. James, but the other great authors out there who spent hours of their own time and effort to give their readers and fans FREE entertainment … well I think we should shut up and be grateful that we got to be there during the beginning stages of the story.

Fanfic readers only cover a sm
Dominique
I just read the fanfic a few days ago and loved it. Lots of sexy times. It touches on and incorporates the lifestyle with the drama and romance of the story. It's the first book and I feel like it sets the stage for the sequel. I am currently reading the Dom's POV and while I love reading his version of the events it seems a bit redundant in some parts. Will be interested to see if the second published version is changed at all. Overall I highly recommend this one. So much better than Fifty. SO ...more
meltem
Turpentine!
Musing
If you are looking for a hot, new trilogy, with a look into BDSM and redemption, you will enjoy The Submissive.

Thirty four year old Nathaniel West was a man completely used to submission and compliance, both in the workplace as CEO of West Industries and as a Dominant in his relationships. Despite losing his parents at a young age, he has been surrounded by family and experienced deep love. He was, however, a man damaged by loss and as a result, has kept himself emotionally isolated, hiding behi
Whitley Birks
A grudging two stars, based mostly on technical writing and comparison to "that other book."

This book, like many others these days in the post-Fifty Shades of Grey world, started out as Twilight fanfiction. This book actually inspired FSOG, so it came first. The similarities between the two works are obvious, both in the set-up, the various relations of each of the characters, and the progression of the story. It’s almost impossible for me to read this book after reading FSOG and not compare the
★★Sara Lizzy★★
3 stars

I was really disappointed in this book when I read it. What I didn't really like about this book was the face that Nathaniel was so cold and emotionally closed off with Abby and I didn't feel that they had much chemistry because of it. I didn't see hardly any emotion out of him until about 74% of the way through the book, then less than 1% later he was back to being emotionally closed off from Abby. He didn't really open up to her completely until around 84% into the book (luckily he was

Monique
I've read the unpublished version which I loved so much and have read multiple times. However, I was curious about the published version, and though they are basically the same with a few exceptions, I still enjoyed this nonetheless. I love the romanticised take on a D/s relationship. I love how possessive the hero is and how he would never share her with anyone else.

I would have liked if the physical characteristics of the main couple were described because it really helps me paint a picture w
Southern  Fiction Review
OMG OMG OMG OMG If you haven't read this previously - please, just go get it on your kindle and start TODAY. It is FANTASITC!! One of my ALL TIME FAVORITES!!!
compared to fifty shades.......... 5 131 Apr 26, 2014 10:43PM
The book 9 95 Oct 05, 2013 08:44AM
Palito de Café: The Submissive 1 33 Feb 28, 2013 10:11AM
  • How to Discipline Your Vampire (DommeNation, #1)
  • Weight of the World (Old Wounds, #3)
  • With This Collar (Mastered, #1)
  • The Art of Domination (The Art of D/s, #2)
  • Living Backwards
  • Gilded Cage
  • A Multitude of Sins
  • Hydraulic Level Five (Hydraulic, #1)
  • Truth (Finding Anna, #3)
  • To Serve is Divine (The Divine Trilogy, #1)
  • Bonds of Trust (Wicked Play, #1)
  • A Million Dirty Secrets (Million Dollar Duet, #1)
  • The Denim Dom (Suncoast Society, #5)
  • Cocktails and Dreams (Cocktails and Dreams, #1)
  • Once Upon A Temptation
  • Grave Refrain
  • Generational Sins (Generational Sins, #1)
  • The Forbidden Room (The Forbidden Room, #1)
Tara Sue Me wrote her first novel at the age of twelve. It would be twenty years before she picked up her pen to write the second.

After completing several clean romances, she decided to try her hand at something spicier and started The Submissive. What began as a writing exercise quickly took on a life of its own. An avid reader of all types of fiction, she soon discovered she enjoyed writing a va
More about Tara Sue Me...

Submissive (6 books)
  • The Dominant (Submissive, #2)
  • The Training (Submissive, #3)
  • The Enticement (Submissive, #4)
  • The Collar (Submissive, #5)
  • The Exhibitionist (Submissive, #6)
The Dominant (Submissive, #2) The Training (Submissive, #3) Seduced By Fire (Partners in Play, #1) The Chalet (Submissive, #3.5) The Enticement (Submissive, #4)

“I’ve never been so jealous of water before.” His fingers slid over my skin. “How it can touch you everywhere— all at once.” 24 likes
“If you choose to wear this, you’ll be marked as mine. Mine to do with as I wish. You will obey me and never question what I tell you to do.” 18 likes