Start by marking “Soul of Fire (The Portals #2)” as Want to Read:
Soul of Fire (The Portals #2)

Soul of Fire (The Portals #2)

save the world-early and often

Three months ago Jan learned that elves were real, our world wasn't safe and it was up to her to save her boyfriend-and the world-from being englamoured into slavery. Now Jan has a new deadline-ten weeks, ten days and ten hours. That's when the truce she arranged between our world and the elves' realm ends, and the invasion starts.

While supe
Published September 24th 2013 by Harlequin Luna (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Soul of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul of Fire

Kim
Soul of Fire by Laura Anne Gilman is just as good, if not better, than Heart of Briar. I think you’d be able to enjoy Soul of Fire without reading Heart of Briar but I would highly suggest reading both since it will make it that much more enjoyable. There are moments in SoF that might be a tad confusing and throw you off for a few and that would be a shame because this is a book to be devoured as quickly as you can.

Jan and her supernatural friends managed to save her lover, Tyler, from the elves
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Two humans and a kelpie are in a race against time to prevent preternaturals (think really angry elves) from showing up in our world to wreak havoc. Add to that the fact that the preternatural Queen – who fled her world and is potentially the only being who can stop the influx of preters – really doesn’t want to leave, and things could get bad very quickly. The clock is ticking…

Opening Sentence: In the middle of the chaos, the constant hum o
Jeannie Zelos
Oct 01, 2013 Jeannie Zelos rated it really liked it
Soul of Fire (Luna) Laura Anne Gilman .

ARC supplied by Netgalley.

This book had me puzzled for a while. It read as though I was into a second book, and yet I hadn't been able to find a first one. Then looked again and found it, Heart of Briar. By then though I was three-quarters through the book. It would have been far better if I’d read that first as it's quite a complex set of characters and problems to follow otherwise. I was often confused and had to keep making mental notes as I went along.
All Things Urban Fantasy
Laura Anne Gilman takes Clarke’s third law (“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”) and closes the loop back upon itself, nestling the physics and technology of our world back into the fabric of the mystical. Science is magic and magic is science in The Portals series, and this interconnected web of cause and effect makes each battle and each conflict leave a lasting mark on the world as we know it.

SOUL OF FIRE opens amidst consequences, as Jan and the supers pre
Mikaela
Sep 03, 2013 Mikaela rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, arc
Heart of Briar wasn't my favorite Laura Anne Gilman novel, but despite that I squeed and requested Soul of Fire when it appeared on NetGalley. And after reading it I am glad I requested it.

It is was intresting read about Jan's and her friends search for the queen. How they followed every lead, and got more and more desperate. But it was also intresting to see how that forced them to think out side the box, to disobey. But I liked the fact that I could sense a friendship between them, even if it
Julia
Sep 25, 2013 Julia rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, urban, arcs
Arthur C. Clarke's third law states "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." In the SOUL OF FIRE, Laura Anne Gilman closes the loop back upon itself, nestling the physics and technology of our world back into the fabric of the mystical. Science is magic and magic is science in The Portals series, and this interconnected web of cause and effect makes each battle and each conflict leave a lasting mark on the world as we know it.

SOUL OF FIRE opens in amidst those cons
Paul Weimer
Aug 06, 2014 Paul Weimer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soul of Fire is the second in Laura Anne Gilman’s Portals duology, following Heart of Briar. In that previous volume, Janet, discovering her lover has been kidnapped by elves, forges an unlikely alliance with supernatural creatures to find a way into elfland and, in the best traditions of Tam Lin, win him back.

This accomplished, there still remains a greater threat--why have the elves been so active, and with a time limit on a truce running out, can Janet and her friends find a way to keep them
Ionia
Sep 11, 2013 Ionia rated it liked it
I am on the fence, so to speak, about this novel. Whilst I have to congratulate the author on being able to put the contents of her vision on paper in such a dramatic and enticing way, there were also places in this book where I lost interest.

I thought the settings included in this story were amazing. I loved the rich textures and the vivid details Laura Anne Gilman included. Being in the midst of this story was somewhat like taking a vacation to another place where you are getting to see somet
Harlequin Books
"A battle may have been won, but the war looms and the odds of preventing the upcoming preternatural invasion are not good. The action in Gilman's riveting follow-up to the excellent Heart of Briar picks up after all-to-human Jan rescued her lover Tyler from the Elves, with help from some supernatural friends. Once again Gilman builds a rich world filled with complex characters whose motivations are varied and not easily defined." RT Book Reviews, rated 4 stars

I will highly recommend this book t
Jess
Jan 23, 2014 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gilman continued the wild ride (hunt?) that began in HEART OF BRIAR. There were some twists and turns that were surprising until explained later. Gilman pulled her normal "I'm not going to state it right out for you" that leaves some key elements to the readers imagination. I wish there was another book to continue the characters lives and solve some of the lingering mysteries. Watch out for the major twist in the last three pages, read very carefully.

Note: I won this book and promised to do a
Vicky
Sep 22, 2013 Vicky rated it liked it
Not having read the first book in this series, I was a little lost at the beginning, but caught up enough to enjoy the overall book. The characters were well done and the story intriguing. If I had any issues, it was that, at times, the read was slow, especially with everything the author told us was going on. I'd like to have seen the pace keep up with the story a bit more. Still, it was a good story, though I do recommend reading the first one first in order to get the full effect.
Cathy
Usually I'm a big fan of Gilman's, but I didn't find this conclusion to this two book series to be very satisfying. The explanation for how the portals were generated was barely an add-on at the end and totally confusing. And the entire conclusion to the the big drama was wrapped up suddenly and in a very hard to believe manner, after all of the build-up it was a real let-down. I just didn't feel like it built on the base of the first book as well as I'd hoped.
Nancy
Dec 07, 2013 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't care for the first one - Fless and Fire but decided to give the second one a try. I tried to like Soul of Fire. I really did. But the whole concept of elves stealing humans to "empty" them and use them to open portals to our world and invade - just didn't do it for me. So, if there are more books coming in the Portals series, I won't be reading them.
Sue
Oct 13, 2013 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i was thinking this would be a trilogy, but maybe my hopes are in vain. she did leave it kind of open at the end tho...i think she is a great author and i really enjoy reading her books. Good plot line and nice strong characters-dealing with fear, stress and heartbreak and coming out on top...
Susie
Nov 24, 2013 Susie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It was fine, but in all fairness, I read this book immediately after readying "The Book Thief". That would be a hard line up for any writer. The storyline didn't keep me enthralled, but it continued from book 1 which I enjoyed more. Just an ok read.
Ming
Aug 07, 2013 Ming rated it liked it
3.5
Mary
Sep 27, 2014 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tweet-short review: Like the fairy tale twists but sad this is just a duology. With war comes repercussions that reverberate through this world. More, please?
Larisa
Larisa rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2013
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2014
Terilynn
Terilynn rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2014
Lindamarie
Lindamarie rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Maurynne  Maxwell
Maurynne Maxwell rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2013
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2014
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Laura Lucas
Laura Lucas rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2013
Patricia Mccammon
Patricia Mccammon rated it it was ok
Dec 24, 2014
Sandy D.
Sandy D. rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • A Snake in the Grass (Jesse James Dawson, #4)
  • The Lost Wolf's Destiny (The Pack #14)
  • The Leopard Mask (The Guin Saga #1)
  • The Seven-Petaled Shield (The Seven-Petaled Shield, #1)
  • Student Bodies (Poltergeeks, #2)
  • Yeti and the Bird
  • Dragon's Teeth
  • Skin of the Wolf
  • Claimed by a Vampire (The Claiming #2)
  • Outside the Spotlight
  • The Half-Breed Vampire (Sons of Midnight #3)
  • Nightwalker (Nightwalkers #3)
  • Oracle (The House War, #6)
  • The Scorched Earth (The Chaos Born, #2)
  • His Lordship Possessed (Disenchanted & Co., Book 1, Part #2)
  • The Younger Gods (Younger Gods, #1)
  • Shifter's Destiny
  • Soul Whisperer (The Tracker #3)
By the time she was fourteen, Laura Anne Gilman knew she would be an editor, a teacher, or a writer.

By thirty, she was all three. She's a little focused that way (when not being distracted by -oooh shiny!).

After fifteen years working in NY publishing, Laura Anne became a full-time writer, with more than twenty novels under her various bylines, including THE COLD EYE and SILVER ON THE ROAD, the Neb
More about Laura Anne Gilman...

The Portals (2 books)
  • Heart of Briar (The Portals #1)