Start by marking “A Twist of Orchids” as Want to Read:
A Twist of Orchids

A Twist of Orchids (Death in the Dordogne #3)

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  87 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Third in the acclaimed “Death in the Dordogne” series.

Winter in the Dordogne: delicious food, ruggedly beautiful scenery, unscrupulous orchid hunters, illegal drugs, a poetic house-breaker, and three mysterious deaths and counting . . .

Expat Montrealer Mara Dunn and orchid-loving Brit Julian Wood are living together in an uneasy, on-and-off way. When bad things start to ha
Published April 15th 2008 by Doubleday Canada (first published June 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Twist of Orchids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Twist of Orchids

Bonny
Jul 21, 2009 Bonny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries, cultures
This is the first time I have read anything by Canadian author Michelle Wan. Now that I have read this book, I'm going to find copies of the first 2 books in the series.

These mysteries are set in the modern day Dordogne region of France. Antiques, a pssion for finding and cultivating orchids, a clash of several cultures, drugs and murder - all ingredients come together in a fabulous mystery book. I sat up until the early hours of the morning to finish it. Tomorrow I'm looking for the first 2 boo
Shonna Froebel
Nov 25, 2012 Shonna Froebel rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian
I've been reading this series since it started and I'm still thorougly enjoying it. The setting is France's Dogrdogne, although the author is Canadian.
Mara Dunn is an interior designer, who is from Canada but has lived in France for almost a decade. Her friend and lover Julian Wood is a landscape designer and orchidologist. He is from Britain, but has also lived in France for a long time. They are both well-integrated into the local community and have many friends, both local and foreign inhabit
H Gibson
Aug 29, 2015 H Gibson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy Michelle Wan's Death in the Dordogne mystery series infused with just enough suspense to lend a tingle of real fear! This book was no different. There were, however, a couple things I picked up in book three that, while extremely minor, ever so slightly spoiled the story. I suppose I could sum it up in saying some racial prejudices and social issues slipped in that I hope aren't reflective of the author's opinion. Still, it's worth the read!
Kay Wright
Feb 24, 2015 Kay Wright rated it liked it
More talk about flowers, less about food than I expected but a cute little mystery with a teeny bit of jagged romance added for atmosphere. Not much of a tribute to southern France as I would have liked either. Might go back and read the first two books of the series. I have a feeling they are more about her career than his.
Bev
Mar 11, 2014 Bev rated it really liked it
Set in the Dordogne (as I will be, soon), this novel creates suspense while delivering lots of local colour. It is the third in a series, about French Canadian Mara and her partner Julian, an orchid enthusiast who confront a local drug lord and live their lives in their small town. I liked it lots, and will look for #4 to enjoy soon.
Victoria
Mar 19, 2014 Victoria rated it liked it
I’m surprised the review Amazon quotes calls this book “electrifying.” It was anything but. A sweet mystery with hardly any menace. If I were more interested in the characters, I might have turned the pages faster. One of the “Death in the Dordogne” mysteries and a nice sense of place.
Nick Duretta
Jan 03, 2014 Nick Duretta rated it really liked it
Wan has achieved something admirable here: there's a standard mystery combined with a tougher, police-procedural-type story, and the two mesh perfectly. We see the charm of the Dordogne Valley as well as the dark underbelly of drugs and those seeking to capitalize on (and undermine) the valley's appeal. The main characters (Mara and Julien) are very well-drawn, believable and fascinating. If you're looking for a book on orchids, though, this isn't the one for you--they only play a marginal role ...more
Joanne Gass
Aug 20, 2014 Joanne Gass rated it really liked it
Part of an interesting new series with the Dordogne region of France in full charm.
Annie
Apr 01, 2014 Annie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable mystery with good characters. I have an interest in the Dordogne in France which is why I chose this book. This is the third in the series and I haven't yet read the first two. Going to do that next.
Jeanine
Jul 04, 2014 Jeanine rated it liked it
This is a fun mystery series set in the Dordogne region of France. Some of the characters are avid orchid fans, as is the author's husband. All in all, it is a fun summer read.
Linda Schwartz
Jun 04, 2010 Linda Schwartz rated it liked it
I found one of Michelle Wan's books in an airport at some time and have kept up with the series. Interesting little mysteries set in the Dordogne region of France are possibly more interesting for the cultural interaction of the protagonists (a woman from Quebec and an Englishman) with the locals. Sometimes gets a bit too much into information about various species of orchids for someone like me who isn't really into raising exotic plants!
Dec 27, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of SOHO Crime novels
Shelves: mystery
This is the best of the three Dordogne mysteries by Wan to date. I like her characters Mara and Julian - a Canadian ex-pat desinger and a British landcaper and orchid hunter - and it was fun to "catch up with them". The mystery is this outing is stonger, more surprising, and more rooted in modern realities, I DO hope that Ms. Wan continues their story.
Vionna
Jun 13, 2010 Vionna rated it liked it
This well-written mystery set in the Dordogne area of France was fast-paced and lots of good characters. Mara and Julian are certainly not the perfect couple or sleuths which make for some friction in the story. Will certainly read more of her mysteries
Michele
Jul 26, 2010 Michele rated it did not like it
Shelves: current-fiction
This book did nothing for me. It started off so slowly that it was a chore to read, then the themes were predictable and depressing, evil developers want to kill off forests where beautiful flowers grow, blah blah blah.
Francine
May 05, 2013 Francine rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed the third volume about the missing orchid and the twists and turns of the relationship between Julian and Mara. Looking forward to the next book
Joann
Jul 18, 2010 Joann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting to learn more about orchids with information in between the murder mystery and also the relationship between the two sleuths.
Sara
May 30, 2010 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one takes place in France so I enjoyed trying to remember the correct pronunciation!
Renée Mee
Nov 12, 2012 Renée Mee rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries

Not one of my favourites of the series. Found it a little wordy.
Gabrielle
Jul 15, 2013 Gabrielle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tijdschriftboek
Het orchideeenspoor
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
loisa
loisa added it
Jul 01, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Kajsa
Kajsa marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
Camille de Fleurville
Camille de Fleurville rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Kate Morton-peters
Kate Morton-peters rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Stan Oleson
Stan Oleson rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
Laura rated it liked it
May 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Michelle Wan was born in Kunming, China, in the middle of an air raid. Her early years were spent in India, and she has subsequently lived in the USA, England, Paris, Harare, and Rio de Janeiro. Her passions include French food, Brazilian novellas, walking, and orchids. She and her husband, a botanist, visit the Dordogne annually to photograph and chart wild orchids. She speaks English, Portuguese ...more
More about Michelle Wan...

Death in the Dordogne (4 books)
  • Deadly Slipper