Start by marking “Prayer at Rumayla: A Novel of the Gulf War” as Want to Read:
Preview
Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Prayer at Rumayla: A Novel of the Gulf War

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In the spring of 1991, nineteen-year-old Chet Brown arrived home from the Gulf War. Yellow ribbons were everywhere, families were reunited, and the nation breathed a sigh of relief at the quick and painless victory over Iraqi forces.

But for Chet Brown, that victory was neither painless nor easy. Troubled by rage he can't explain and nightmares he can't stop, he finds himse
ebook
Published by Cincinnatus Press (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Prayer at Rumayla, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prayer at Rumayla

Robert Beveridge
Charles Sheehan-Miles, Prayer at Rumayla (Xlibris, 2001)

I had some trepidations before cracking the cover on this one; with a very few notable exceptions, I've never been much of one for war novels, which tend to either fall into the knee-jerk anti-war camp or the "sis-boom-bah rah-rah-rah" camp. Prayer at Rumayla leans towards the left side of the division, but prefers to let the images and events therein do its preaching, which already puts Sheehan-Miles ahead of 95% of the pack. Despite the b
Jenny Housley
It took me a long time to get into this book, probably because it is not the subject matter that I would normally pick. I am very aware have much of yourself you must have put into this story Charles so I just want to say. You got me in the end - about the time Chet drops down the turret "Nice and comfy, no bullshit" That was the point that I started to care. From then on in I was hooked! Great ending and so pleased he got Biggs (bastard had it coming) I see I was reading an uncorrected version ...more
Gail Smyth
Wow! I finished this book in two days. I know a lot of guys don't want to talk about times they spent engaged in battle. For me this book brought home some of the horrors of war but more importantly the book exhibits some of the residual effects a war can have on those who fight and survive. I found it interesting that the author penned some of it in his tank while it was vivid in his mind. War is hell far beyond the time the fighting ends.
Mike Swanson
I just finished reading Republic: A Novel of America's Future. I really enjoyed that book and decided to read the author's first novel. The Kindle version of both books is currently available on Amazon for only $.99. Republic was worth paying full price, so I am looking forward to reading Prayer at Rumayla!
Heather
Kevin Powers may get mad props for The Yellow Birds, but this first novel from Charles Sheehan-Miles has a far more engaging voice that pulls you in. You live through the pages, feeling the good, bad, and asinine that is modern warfare.
Steve
This was a thoroughly depressing book.

But

I guess that if you are a veteran trying to explain your personal war then it is going to be depressing.
Jeanette
All I can say is: I was there, I get it, thank you and welcome home! Should be must reading for everyone who thinks they know what veterans endure.
Lauradw
This book will stay with me for a long time.
Martha
Sheehan-Miles isn’t a good writer, but he does covey the whirlwind of dark emotions a returning vet faces once stateside.
Tugboatgrandma
Not an uplifting book but it really captured my interest I read it in two days.
John Kidwell
this was a good book. i would give this to any of my friends that spent time overseas
Trish
Trish marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
John Gerving
John Gerving marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Veerle
Veerle marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Kelley
Kelley marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Gracie Liberty
Gracie Liberty marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Joseph Quayesi-Amakye
Joseph Quayesi-Amakye marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Jennifer Jacobs
Jennifer Jacobs marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Shannon Velazquez
Shannon Velazquez marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Nicole
Nicole added it
Dec 25, 2014
Nagy
Nagy marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Aftershock: The Blast That Shook Psycho Platoon (Kindle Single)
  • The Girls Come Marching Home: Stories of Women Warriors Returning from the War in Iraq
  • Out of the Storm
  • A Million Wishes (Wishes, #1)
  • One Snowy Knight (The Dragons of Challon #3)
  • Love's Miracles
  • Travelers Rest
  • The Homecoming (Shelter Bay, #1)
  • Sikander
  • Sail Away: Journeys of a Merchant Seaman
  • The German Mujahid
  • Winds of Promise (Wayward Wind Series, # 1)
  • A Cracker gets Jacked
  • Promises in the Dark (Shadow Force, #2)
  • The Siren of Paris
  • Battered Not Broken (MMA Romance Companion Novels, #1)
  • The Ezekiel Project
  • Sons of Thunder
Charles Sheehan-Miles has been a soldier, computer programmer, short-order cook and non-profit executive, and is the author of several fiction and non-fiction books, including the indie bestsellers Just Remember to Breathe and Republic: A Novel of America's Future. Charles and his partner Andrea Randall live and write together in South Hadley, Massachusetts.

Find out more at http://www.sheehanmiles
More about Charles Sheehan-Miles...
Just Remember to Breathe (Thompson Sisters, #4) A Song for Julia (Thompson Sisters, #1) The Last Hour (Thompson Sisters, #5) Falling Stars (Thompson Sisters, #2) Girl of Lies (Rachel's Peril, #1)