Start by marking “Voices In Summer” as Want to Read:
Voices In Summer

Voices In Summer

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  2,344 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Celebrate life's journeys with the beloved author whose stories of life and love have touched the world.

As in her worldwide bestseller The Shell Seekers and September, it is the richness of emotional seasons that has made Rosamunde Pilcher's novels beloved the world over. Now she invites you into long summer days on the coast of Cornwall-and into the stormy heart of newlyw
Published March 23rd 2013 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Voices In Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voices In Summer

Angie
Rosamunde Pilcher's shorter books are like curling up on the couch with your favorite blanket--A bit predictable maybe but you won't be disappointed, you know there will be a happy ending, and it won't take you forever to read it! They are just comfort-reads to me. I gave this 4 stars because of this!
Emily
Apr 16, 2010 Emily rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance readers; old ladies
Like Nicholas Sparks, Rosamunde Pilcher stories are all formed from a predetermined list of setting, character types, and events--not a bad thing, as both authors' success shows.

If you're still reading, here are the ingredients for any charming Rosamunde Pilcher story: 1)Cornwall or Scotland, sometimes both. 2)Female orphan at center of story, who has no money worries (and neither does anyone else). 3)Multiple generations, often bohemians among the younger folks. 4)An impromptu house party at t
Donna Mcnab
By the time I finished reading this book for a second time, I felt like I had enjoyed a wonderful holiday in Cornwall. Rosamunde Pilcher had the ability, with all the details and great characters, of absorbing you right into the scene. I particularly loved her "bigger" novels, Shell Seekers, Winter Solstice, Coming Home and September, but the earlier "smaller" books are also a treat to read and withstand subsequent readings beautifully.
Linda
Newlywed Laura Haverstock goes to Cornwall to convalesce after an operation. She stays with her new husband's relatives while he is away fishing in Scotland. Laura is Alec's second wife and has had trouble fitting in with his group of lifelong friends, feeling a little bit like the second Mrs. deWinter. As she regains her health she also strengthens her resolve to solve the problems in her marriage. As usual, Rosamunde Pilcher draws her readers into her beautiful settings and into the lives of h ...more
Jamie Casey
This book is about Laura and Alec, a married couple very different in backgrounds. Laura has some health problems and cannot go on an already planned trip with her husband. So her husband takes the trip and takes Laura to his brothers home in Tremeheree. Here Laura learns a great deal about herself and has the time of her life. She learns she is stronger than she ever thought and how very much family and friends mean to one another.

Noteworthy moments and quotes from the book:

"The difficult we ca
Leigh
Every time I think I've read all there is to read from prolific writer Rosamude Pilcher, I stumble across another gem.

Set primarily in sun-soaked Cornwall, Voices in Summer is an easy, breezy, undemanding read. Short, by Pilcher's standards, this delightful story adheres to the author's reliable pattern; that of rich, multi-layered characters woven together with an interesting, but relatively unimportant plot. To me, its the characters who carry the weight of the tale in a Rosamude Pilcher book.
Christine Blachford
I can’t imagine a situation where I would want to go on an extended trip to visit someone else’s family by myself, even if it is the in-laws. Laura travels to Cornwall to stay with her husband’s family, and she makes fast friends with everyone… until a letter arrives that accuses her of having an affair.

One of the problems I had with this book is that a lot of the characters are just too good to be true. All very polite, all opening doors for each other, pulling out chairs. Perhaps it’s just ind
Elizabeth
A new bride, who is the 2nd wife of an older man, has surgery done and cannot travel with her husband on his vacation in Scotland. She goes to recuperate at the home of her husband's uncle in Cornwall. She has much time to think, and observe those around her. She comes to some new discoveries about herself and those around her. Pilcher's characters are always very English, very proper, and not ones to create waves.
Linda
I think I read most of Pilcher’s books years ago, but this escaped my notice until now. It isn’t as good or substantial as her later, longer novels, but still a good read. Laura, who feels uncomfortable with her new husband’s former circle of friends, is glad to defer a fishing trip to Scotland which has been one of Alec’s traditions with these couples for years. However, her reason for not going is because she is recuperating from surgery, and needs a place to stay while Alec is gone. Alec driv ...more
Liza
This book almost earned 4 stars from me because it was such a lovely, enjoyable read. While it wasn't a page-turner, it was a nice book to relax with that provided a little break from a stressful day. I recommend this story to anyone who wants a chick-lit without the silliness.
Noelle M
Like the world's most famous television trivia question "Who killed JR?" we have here a "Who wrote the poison pen letters?" The story idea was clever, but I gather Ms. Pilcher never cracked a Strunk and White? I guess the American rules of writing style don't apply to the British? On a technical scale of 1 to 10, the writing itself needed a major editorial workover. I'd give it maybe a -5, but once I was able to stop seeing the problems the story was decent.

I think she was a good action plotter,
Lydia
The most beautifully written book I have ever read however the story line was slightly slow. Had it been badly written it would have only got 3 stars but the quality of writing upped it to 4. Good summer book, would recommend as a holiday read.
Gerri
Enjoyed and Rosamunde's books are easy to read with a lovely story line and message. I reread this book. First time I read was in April 1992. Reread in 2010. Enjoyed as much the second time.
Kw
Beautifully written by one of my favorite authors, but not quite as impressive as most of her novels, and pretty predictable. Still, worth reading for sure.
Emily
An easy, interesting read. Again, what Rosamunde Pilcher does so well is write characters that are believable. You get immersed in their world.
Michelle Beese
Rosamunde Pilcher is a great story teller and has a way of making her characters come alive. Delightful tale, and she kept me guessing for a while!
Carol C
Pilcher's books are usually easy, enjoyable reads. They take me to my happy place. This one was no exception.
Lisa
A light and pleasant read. Not a favorite necessarily but enjoyable nonetheless.
Susan Hale
Good story about a newlywed in Cornwall. Gentle story of family and love.
Ginny
Liked the way she handled older characters.
Louise Mundt
Min mor er ivrig læser af Rosamunde Pilchers kærlighedshistorier, og jeg har derfor overtaget nogle bøger efter hende i tidens løb, hvis hun haft dubletter. Jeg ved ikke, hvorfor jeg bliver ved med at læse dem, for egentlig har jeg aldrig syntes, at Pilcher er en særlig god forfatter – den eneste forklaring må være, at man nogle gange har brug for uforpligtende underholdning.

Og netop derfor gik jeg i gang med “Første Sommer”…

På en forretningsrejse til Hong Kong, møder Alec Haverstock den unge Er
JayeL
Yang Shu-yuan
Die junge, frischverheiratete Laura Haverstock verbringt den Sommer bei Verwandten ihres Mannes Alec auf dem Lande. Doch die unbeschwerten Tage auf dem idyllisch gelegenen Landsitz Tremenhere in Cornwall finden ein jähes Ende: ein anonymer Brief taucht auf, der sie beschuldigt, ein Verhältnis zu haben. Während sie immer mehr in Panik gerät, erhält auch Alec Post. Wird er, der von seiner ersten Frau verlassen wurde, Lauras Beteuerungen glauben können?Rosamunde Pilcher, geboren 1924 in Lelant/Corn ...more
Bárbara
É um livro agradável de ler, sobre pessoas normais, com cenários bonitos e diversificados, com um bocadinho de suspense inesperado mais para o fim.

A dada altura duas personagens tecem comentários sobre outras duas obras literárias conhecidas: “Jane Eyre” e “Rebecca”. Eu estou familiarizada com a primeira obra porque vi uma mini-série, mas ainda tenho o Rebecca por ler! E parece-me que estas referências são grandes spoilers. Do Jane Eyre teriam sido para mim, se eu não conhecesse a história.
Port
Toffeeapple
I hadn't realised that there are still come of Rosamunde Pilcher's books that I have not read, so I am making up for lost time.
Shongi
A very comfortable read. It may have been predictable but I reveled at the feel-good tone of the whole story.
Lorraine
A pleasant book about a new wife's discomfort with her husband's old friends and family members. Laura needs an operation and can't go with her husband and friends for two weeks fishing in Scotland. She has no family of her own to stay with, but goes her husband's uncle's home in Cornwall to recover while he goes off to Scotland. She's immediately accepted into the family group, and spends her days sunning and swimming and enjoying life. Then a mysterious letter appears accusing her of having an ...more
Sharon
I love all of her books. This is my second time reading this book and I enjoyed it again.
Rhona
Not as good as Coming Home or The Shell Seekers, but a very pleasant escape.
Marianthy
Cute, but nowhere near Pilcher's masterpieces. More superficial characters and expected turns of events. All in all an easy enjoyable read without too much involvement or emotion.
  • Starting Over
  • The Friends
  • So Happy Together
  • A Secret Affair
20849
Rosamunde Scott was born on 22 September 1924 in Lelant, Cornwall, England, UK, daughter of Helen and Charles Scott, a British commander. Just before her birth her father was posted in Burma, her mother remained in England. She attended St. Clare's Polwithen and Howell's School Llandaff before going on to Miss Kerr-Sanders' Secretarial College. She began writing when she was seven, and published h ...more
More about Rosamunde Pilcher...
The Shell Seekers Winter Solstice September Coming Home Snow In April

“The air smelled of box and mint and thyme and newly turned earth. Laura” 0 likes