Start by marking “Parenting Without Fear: Letting Go of Worry and Focusing on What Really Matters” as Want to Read:
Parenting Without Fear: Letting Go of Worry and Focusing on What Really Matters

Parenting Without Fear: Letting Go of Worry and Focusing on What Really Matters

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  5 reviews
"Dr. Donahue’s calm, reasoned approach will help moms and dads sort out their concerns so they can stop worrying about the future and enjoy their rapidly changing kids — now.”

--Thomas. W. Phelan, author, 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children

The ‘perfect parenting’ expectations imposed on you by the media, society, your family, and your community can seem impossibl
Published August 7th 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Parenting Without Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parenting Without Fear

Kelly
I'm pretty done with most parenting primers at this stage in the game, and yet this one draws many of the same conclusions that I have slowly come to through the years. It simply represents common sense parenting that seems to have gone out the window without resulting to chastising all "modern day parents". This obsequious criticism of most parenting primers kill me. Good ahead and bite the hand of a reader who has picked up a book to try to become a beter parent, why don't you?

At the same time
Jodie
Aug 21, 2009 Jodie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
Honestly the only reason I needed to read this was to bolster my faith in my own child rearing. BUT it has also helped me realize that I need to give my kids even more independence (which is so hard for me) and it has helped me clarify what it is that I dislike so much about all the supposedly "kid friendly" stuff that happens in my town--it all starts during what we've set aside as relaxing family time. So we'll miss the activities that start at 7pm but we'll be a stronger family for it.
Alissa
I was really excited to start this book because I've always had issues with anxiety and becoming a parent only heightened them. Reading part one of this book, I was quite excited to hear what Donahue made out to be these huge revelations in parenting and what it meant to be anxiety-free.... but I just didn't get it. I really liked what he had to say about slowing down, limiting screen-time and not putting too much pressure on a kid. I think these are really important things and obviously his res ...more
April
This is a really good book, but I didn't finish it because after a while his observatiosn seemed redundant, especially sine he was essentially preaching to the choir as I agree with many of his observations about the stress parents are feeling to try to provide the best anf be the best for their children. I would definitely recommend it for people who need the reassurances that their natural instincts are the best and correct ones and to let go of a lot of the crap tossed on us by everybody who ...more
Clint Kuipers
This is a good one. Usually parents feel pressured to do more, but this one encourages you to do less. Ask yourself questions like, How will my kids learn to be creative and explore if their time is always structured, scheduled, I'm entertaining them, or they're watching TV? How will they learn to work hard and persevere if they're never allowed to struggle? How will they learn compassion and empathy if they're never allowed to fail?
Abdul Khaled
Abdul Khaled marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Merylkate
Merylkate marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Chpm
Chpm marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Lonsdale Koester
Lonsdale Koester marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Stacie Banks
Stacie Banks marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Erik
Erik marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Greenglacier
Greenglacier is currently reading it
Feb 18, 2014
Jen Chau
Jen Chau marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Sheba
Sheba is currently reading it
Jan 27, 2014
Jessica Rauth
Jessica Rauth marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Katta Jaya
Katta Jaya marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
Arlene
Arlene marked it as to-read
May 01, 2013
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2013
Cora An
Cora An marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2013
Doc Baker
Doc Baker is currently reading it
Jan 25, 2013
Misschenhouse
Misschenhouse marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2012
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2012
Mental Health Consultation in Early Childhood: Parenting Without Fear: Letting Go of Worry and Focusing on What Really Matters