Start by marking “Why Not Me?: The Story of Gladys Milton, Midwife” as Want to Read:
Why Not Me?: The Story of Gladys Milton, Midwife

Why Not Me?: The Story of Gladys Milton, Midwife

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  8 ratings  ·  3 reviews
This is the personal story of a courageous and compassionate Florida midwife and an account of her fight to provide women with affordable health care. It's a modern day tale of David versus Goliath, where "David" was one of the last grand ("granny") lay midwives still delivering babies in the U.S.
Published January 1st 1993 by Book Publishing Company (TN) (first published December 31st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Why Not Me?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Not Me?

Heather P
May 08, 2008 Heather P marked it as to-read
I have been meaning to read this book all my life it seems. This lady was an amazing woman in my family's life. She even writes a little bit about us in a chapter. Her life has been a testimony of grace and love. She served the under served in our community as a midwife for many years. This story is about her childhood and her battle with the state as they ask her to become a midwife, and then try to take her license away as more afluent white families come to see her. She has many struggles in ...more
Denise
The moment I began reading this book, it intrigued me. The text flowed easily and effortlessly. Years ago, I'd heard about Miss Gladys from a good friend who had been blessed to have her deliver her two boys. Reading about Miss Gladys filled my heart with joy and sadness; sometimes even anger. I intend to purchase this book and donate it to the library.
Yulonda
It served it's purpose--to learn more about midwifery and the challenges faced by traditional midwives in the South.
James
James marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Kyla Wong
Kyla Wong marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Tamika Walker
Tamika Walker marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Nicole Metzger
Nicole Metzger is currently reading it
Feb 15, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Cam Vidakovic
Cam Vidakovic marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Sunny
Sunny marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2013
Skylar Johnson
Skylar Johnson marked it as to-read
May 04, 2013
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2013
Mark
Mark is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2013
Wendi Avella-quintal
Wendi Avella-quintal marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2012
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2012
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2012
Binky
Binky marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2012